Transcript 10/31/2008 Ugonma Achebe (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/31/2008 Ugonma Achebe (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:58 pm

Ugonma Achebe
West Orange NJ
Law Student

Ugonma wants to help people by giving them access to justice that they might not normally have. That has always been her passion. She has $75,000 in school debts to pay off.

Topic tree:
- The Breeders
- Dining Out
- Lunar Location
- The Big House
- What to Wear?
- Movie Math
- Word Currency
- Speed Racer
- Simple Recipes
- Political Nicknames
- Branding
- Once Upon a Time
- What Day Is It
- Ink
- Sssshhhh!

$8K - Popularized by the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the LZR Racer bills itself as "The World's Fastest" what?
A - bicycle
B - tennis racket
C - sneaker
D - swimsuit
Spoiler
At 20 seconds remaining Ugonma decides to use her Phone a Friend lifeline. Ugonma's sisters Amaka and Chi-Chi and her friend Mary are on her list. She decides to call Amaka. It sounds as if Amaka was trying to type something but she comes up with no answer. Ugonma thinks she should know it and makes "A" her final answer and leaves with $1K.

D - swimsuit (7)
Spoiler
ANSWERS:
$8K - D (swimsuit)

gsabc

Re: Transcript 10/31/2008 Ugonma Achebe (carryover contestant)

#2 Post by gsabc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:09 am

If the PAF was Googling she must not have been too good at it. "LZR racer" gets you a full page of correct answers.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:10 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ugonma Achebe
West Orange NJ
Law Student

Ugonma wants to help people by giving them access to justice that they might not normally have. That has always been her passion. She has $75,000 in school debts to pay off.
That's a nice goal.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Popularized by the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the LZR Racer bills itself as "The World's Fastest" what?
A - bicycle
B - tennis racket
C - sneaker
D - swimsuit
Spoiler
At 20 seconds remaining Ugonma decides to use her Phone a Friend lifeline. Ugonma's sisters Amaka and Chi-Chi and her friend Mary are on her list. She decides to call Amaka. It sounds as if Amaka was trying to type something but she comes up with no answer. Ugonma thinks she should know it and makes "A" her final answer and leaves with $1K.

D - swimsuit (7)
Oddly enough I don't think Michael Phelps wore one.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:29 am

earendel wrote:
West Orange NJ
Law Student

That's a nice goal.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Popularized by the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the LZR Racer bills itself as "The World's Fastest" what?
A - bicycle
B - tennis racket
C - sneaker
D - swimsuit
Spoiler

D - swimsuit (7)
Sure he did! That's where all the publicity came from.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#5 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:39 am

Bob Juch wrote:
earendel wrote:
West Orange NJ
Law Student

That's a nice goal.
A - bicycle
B - tennis racket
C - sneaker
D - swimsuit
Spoiler

D - swimsuit (7)
I don't think he wore one in all the races. The LZR only works in the faster races (or I have it exactly backwards).
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
earendel wrote: That's a nice goal.
I don't think he wore one in all the races. The LZR only works in the faster races (or I have it exactly backwards).
He was far from the only competitor to wear one. I think that racers with another type of suit were in the minority, after the buzz started about the LZR.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#7 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:45 am

Bob Juch wrote:
I would think that, if you have it exactly backwards, it would slow you down more than speed you up.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

slam

#8 Post by slam » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:54 am

gsabc wrote:If the PAF was Googling she must not have been too good at it. "LZR racer" gets you a full page of correct answers.
I believe I heard typing in the background suggesting she was googling. But when I jus googled "LZR Racer", I not only got a bunch of text information which made the correct answer clear, but there were even a handful of photos.

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:18 am

As much of the Olympics that I watched this summer, LZR Racer did not ring any bells for me. This would've been a perfect Google question for a PAF.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:20 am

Bob Juch wrote:
earendel wrote:
West Orange NJ
Law Student

That's a nice goal.
A - bicycle
B - tennis racket
C - sneaker
D - swimsuit
Spoiler

D - swimsuit (7)
I thought that he eschewed the LZR in favor of his own. Or perhaps I thought the LZR was the one that covered most of the body, while Phelps' torso was uncovered.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:23 am

earendel wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
I thought that he eschewed the LZR in favor of his own. Or perhaps I thought the LZR was the one that covered most of the body, while Phelps' torso was uncovered.
http://www.speedo80.com/lzr-racer/athle ... el_phelps/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Appa23

#12 Post by Appa23 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:37 am

Bob Juch wrote:
He wore a version of the suit in every race, and he never swam one of the longer races. IIRC, all of his races were 200 meters or less (except 400 IM).

There is a version of the suit that is just the long pants, one that has a tank top and shiorts bottoms, and one that pretty much covers the entire body except for hands, feet, and head. (Lots of demos of the suits at the Omaha swim trials. It takes over 20 minutes to get into the full version, as I recall, because it is so skin-tight. You have to wet your hands, for example.
Last edited by Appa23 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

slam

#13 Post by slam » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:39 am

Appa23 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Sure he did! That's where all the publicity came from.
He wore a version of the suit in every race, and he never swam one of the longer races. IIRC, all of his races were 200 meters or less.

There is a version of the suit that is just the long pants, one that has a tank top and shiorts bottoms, and one that pretty much covers the entire body except for hands, feet, and head. (Lots of demos of the suits at the Omaha swim trials. It takes over 20 minutes to get into the full version, as I recall, because it is so skin-tight. You have to wet your hands, for example.
All Phelps' races were 200 meters or less except the 400 meter individual medley.

Kazoo65

#14 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:47 am

EZ question for me. The LZR was mentioned in the current issue of Time magazine's list of the best inventions of the year. They even have a photo of Michael Phelps wearing it.
I'm just a game show nerd.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#15 Post by kayrharris » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:50 am

Time's current issued wouldn't have helped you when this show
was taped.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

WheresFanny
???????

#16 Post by WheresFanny » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:32 am

kayrharris wrote:Time's current issued wouldn't have helped you when this show
was taped.
Had she or her PAF been David Lines fans, they would have gotten this one instantly. Ha!
We, the HK Brigade, do hereby salute you, Marley, for your steadfast devotion to ontopicosity. Well done, sir!