Transcript 10/31/2008 Jean Marie McCormick

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/31/2008 Jean Marie McCormick

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:00 pm

Jean Marie McCormick
Stanford, CT

The week that Jean Marie auditioned was the best week of her life. She got a job promotion the day before the audition and the day after her boyfriend proposed.

Topic tree:
- Big Bucks
- The Solar System
- Very Superstitious
- Presidential Wives
- Fill 'Er Up!
- Great Apes
- Net Lingo
- Party Rule
- The Hawk Has Landed
- Walt Disney World
- Be Warned
- Game Shows
- Idioms
- Pop Album Titles
- Rules are Rules

$100 - Airline regulations require passengers to stow carry-on baggage either in an overhead compartment or where?
A - under the seat
B - on the wing
C - in the cockpit
D - down their pants
Spoiler
A - under the seat (6)
$200 - Which of these Mariah Carey album titles is a punny reference to the work of Albert Einstein?
A - Rainbow
B - E=MC2
C - The Emancipation of Mimi
D - Butterfly
Spoiler
B - E=MC2 (5)
$300 - Which of these anatomical idioms describes someone who is wealthy?
A - thin-skinned
B - loose-lipped
C - evenhanded
D - well-heeled
Spoiler
D - well-heeled (4)
$500 - A game that involves a small disc falling through a peg board, Plinko is crowd favorite on what game show?
A - Wheel of Fortune
B - Family Feud
C - 1 vs. 100
D - The Price is Right
Spoiler
Jean Marie says she loves the show and Plinko is her favorite game.

D - The Price is Right (5)
$1K - To prevent fires, consumers are often warned not to use which of these products in a microwave oven?
A - dish soap
B - aluminum foil
C - cooking oil
D - Tupperware
Spoiler
B - aluminum foil (7)
commercial break

Meredith comments on Jean Marie's necklace. It was her grandmother's, who gave it to her for good luck. She wants to donate some of the money she wins to Alzheimer's reseach because her grandmother has been diagnosed. She hopes her grandmother will know that Jean Marie's on the show. Her mother is in the relationship seat.

$2K - At Disney World, dancing hippos and marching brooms are part of a miniature golf course based on what classic film?
A - Bambi
B - Snow White
C - Fantasia
D - 101 Dalmations
Spoiler
C - Fantasia (21)
$4K - In a 1999 skateboarding competition, Tony Hawk became the first to land a "900", a difficult trick involving how many rotations?
A - two
B - two and a half
C - three and a half
D - five
Spoiler
With 19 seconds on the clock Jean Marie decides to Ask the Audience.

ATA results:
A - 2%
B - 46%
C - 40%
D - 12%

The clock starts again and at 13 seconds she decides to Double Dip. She makes B her first answer.

B - two and a half ()
$8K - Which of these U.S. political parties has never had a candidate elected to the Presidency?
A - Federalist
B - Democratic-Republican
C - Whig
D - Libertarian

Jean Marie isn't as up on her politics as she should be so with 16 seconds left she decides to Phone a Friend. Her PAF list includes Mark, her fiance, her friend Juliette and her friend Ann Mary. She chooses to call Ann Mary. Ann Mary believes it's Libertarian but she's not too sure. She thinks the Federalists have and knows the Republicans and Democrats have (misunderstanding the answer). Jean Marie goes with her PAF's answer.
Spoiler
D - Libertarian ()
commercial break

$16K - An interjection used to express joy, which of these Internet-related terms was Mirriam-Webster's 2007 Word of the Year?
A - malware
B - netroots
C - webinar
D - w00t
Spoiler
D - w00t (19)
Jean Marie says she's giddy.

$25K - What is the only type of great ape that is native to Asia?
A - bonobo
B - orangutan
C - chimpanzee
D - gorilla
Spoiler
Jean Marie decides to use her Ask the Expert with 18 seconds on the clock. Bill Nye the Science Guy is her expert. Meredith says it's sort of a science question. Bill is pretty sure it's "orangutan"; the other three are African and orangutan means "forest man". They are native to the rain forests of Indonesia. Jean Marie says that was her original thought. She says she came to play and makes B her final answer.

B - orangutan (14)
commercial break

Jean Marie's goal was to get to the $25K, which she's done. She's a hard-working middle-class girl just wanting to get her new life started with her fiance.

$50K - Because of heavy government subsidies, what country had the world's cheapest gasoline in July of 2008, costing just 12 cents a gallon?
A - India
B - Denmark
C - Venezuela
D - Saudi Arabia
Spoiler
Jean Marie says it's a total guess but she has nothing to lose at this point. Saudi Arabia is too obvious. She makes C her final answer.

C - Venezuela (11)
THE HORN!!!!!!
Spoiler
ANSWERS:
$100 - A (under the seat)
$200 - B (E=MC2)
$300 - D (well-heeled)
$500 - D (The Price is Right)
$1K - B (aluminum foil)
$2K - C (Fantasia)
$4K - B (two and a half)
$8K - D (Libertarian)
$16K - D (w00t)
$25K - B (orangutan)
$50K - C (Venezuela)

earendel

Re: Transcript 10/31/2008 Jean Marie McCormick

#2 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:15 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jean Marie McCormick
Stanford, CT

The week that Jean Marie auditioned was the best week of her life. She got a job promotion the day before the audition and the day after her boyfriend proposed.
I'd say that was a pretty good week.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K - At Disney World, dancing hippos and marching brooms are part of a miniature golf course based on what classic film?
A - Bambi
B - Snow White
C - Fantasia
D - 101 Dalmations
Spoiler
C - Fantasia (21)
I'd call that a shout-out to me. :D
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - In a 1999 skateboarding competition, Tony Hawk became the first to land a "900", a difficult trick involving how many rotations?
A - two
B - two and a half
C - three and a half
D - five
Spoiler

ATA results:
A - 2%
B - 46%
C - 40%
D - 12%

The clock starts again and at 13 seconds she decides to Double Dip. She makes B her first answer.

B - two and a half ()
I guess 40% of the audience thought that a circle had fewer than 300 degrees. Jean Marie chose the right lifeline for this one.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Which of these U.S. political parties has never had a candidate elected to the Presidency?
A - Federalist
B - Democratic-Republican
C - Whig
D - Libertarian

Jean Marie isn't as up on her politics as she should be so with 16 seconds left she decides to Phone a Friend. Her PAF list includes Mark, her fiance, her friend Juliette and her friend Ann Mary. She chooses to call Ann Mary. Ann Mary believes it's Libertarian but she's not too sure. She thinks the Federalists have and knows the Republicans and Democrats have (misunderstanding the answer). Jean Marie goes with her PAF's answer.
Spoiler
D - Libertarian ()
I laughed when Jean Marie's PAF said that the Republcans and Democrats had elected candidates. Clearly she misunderstood "Democratic-Republican".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - An interjection used to express joy, which of these Internet-related terms was Mirriam-Webster's 2007 Word of the Year?
A - malware
B - netroots
C - webinar
D - w00t
Spoiler
D - w00t (19)
I'm surprised no one in the audience shouted this (elwing and the two sons who watched with me said they heard it, but I didn't).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - What is the only type of great ape that is native to Asia?
A - bonobo
B - orangutan
C - chimpanzee
D - gorilla
Spoiler
Jean Marie decides to use her Ask the Expert with 18 seconds on the clock. Bill Nye the Science Guy is her expert. Meredith says it's sort of a science question. Bill is pretty sure it's "orangutan"; the other three are African and orangutan means "forest man". They are native to the rain forests of Indonesia. Jean Marie says that was her original thought. She says she came to play and makes B her final answer.

B - orangutan (14)
Again, the right lifeline for the question, though it's a shame she had to use it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - Because of heavy government subsidies, what country had the world's cheapest gasoline in July of 2008, costing just 12 cents a gallon?
A - India
B - Denmark
C - Venezuela
D - Saudi Arabia
Spoiler
Jean Marie says it's a total guess but she has nothing to lose at this point. Saudi Arabia is too obvious. She makes C her final answer.

C - Venezuela (11)
My oldest son (one of the two watching with me) knew this one before the answers were revealed. He said he learned it from reading something at Starbucks.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:22 am

Could have crashed and burned on the Tony Hawk question by going for speed and not accuracy and dividing by 180 instead of 360. Would have had the "Word of the Year" thanks to discussions about it here. All others were no problemo. Coasting with all LLs still around.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:23 am

This episode was pre-empted in Philly by the PARADE! I hope Jean Marie can go even farther today.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 - A game that involves a small disc falling through a peg board, Plinko is crowd favorite on what game show?
A - Wheel of Fortune
B - Family Feud
C - 1 vs. 100
D - The Price is Right
Don't know any of these show except Wheel of Fortune. ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - In a 1999 skateboarding competition, Tony Hawk became the first to land a "900", a difficult trick involving how many rotations?
A - two
B - two and a half
C - three and a half
D - five
I remember that these maneuvers are measured in degrees, so 900 is two and a half rotations.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:35 am

earendel wrote:
A - two
B - two and a half
C - three and a half
D - five
Spoiler

ATA results:
A - 2%
B - 46%
C - 40%
D - 12%

B - two and a half ()
I guess 40% of the audience thought that a circle had fewer than 300 degrees. Jean Marie chose the right lifeline for this one.
If you think the audience did the math, I think you're giving them too much credit.

Many contestants are loathe to do math, too, but the damned clock makes these questions even more frightening for them.

slam

#6 Post by slam » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:51 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
A - two
B - two and a half
C - three and a half
D - five
Spoiler

ATA results:
A - 2%
B - 46%
C - 40%
D - 12%

B - two and a half ()
If you think the audience did the math, I think you're giving them too much credit.

Many contestants are loathe to do math, too, but the damned clock makes these questions even more frightening for them.
In a weird way, the clock is thus good for someone like me (if I were to ever get into the Hot Seat) who loves the math questions. Because the clock now makes these types of questions more challenging for most contestants, TPTB might use them more extensively.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:37 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jean Marie McCormick
Stanford, CT
Since this is near NYC, she would be a WE®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:- Big Bucks
- The Solar System
- Very Superstitious
- Presidential Wives
- Fill 'Er Up!
- Great Apes
- Net Lingo
- Party Rule
- The Hawk Has Landed
- Walt Disney World
- Be Warned
- Game Shows
- Idioms
- Pop Album Titles
- Rules are Rules
Not a bad mix of categories for me.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - An interjection used to express joy, which of these Internet-related terms was Mirriam-Webster's 2007 Word of the Year?
A - malware
B - netroots
C - webinar
D - w00t
I remember when we had a big thread on the Bored about the word "w00t".

$25K: It's definitely not the gorilla. I think it's a good idea to ask Bill Nye this question.

I'll be going for $100K on Monday with three lifelines.

rgcviper

Reply to: Transcript - Jean Marie McCormick

#8 Post by rgcviper » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:10 am

"In a weird way, the clock is thus good for someone like me (if I were to ever get into the Hot Seat) who loves the math questions. Because the clock now makes these types of questions more challenging for most contestants, TPTB might use them more extensively."

Who wants MORE of a challenge when they're sitting in the hot seat?? Just being under the lights and the music is more than enough for most people, but having the blasted clock ticking down just adds to the pressure. Plus, a real appeal of the show USED TO BE being able to take your time and possibly eliminate answers on your own without using lifelines. Kill the clock. It's ruined the format of the show.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Reply to: Transcript - Jean Marie McCormick

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:16 am

rgcviper wrote:"In a weird way, the clock is thus good for someone like me (if I were to ever get into the Hot Seat) who loves the math questions. Because the clock now makes these types of questions more challenging for most contestants, TPTB might use them more extensively."

Who wants MORE of a challenge when they're sitting in the hot seat?? Just being under the lights and the music is more than enough for most people, but having the blasted clock ticking down just adds to the pressure. Plus, a real appeal of the show USED TO BE being able to take your time and possibly eliminate answers on your own without using lifelines. Kill the clock. It's ruined the format of the show.
Slam is saying that TPTB would be choosing "more difficult" questions that he'd find easier. But it's that "if I were to ever get into the Hot Seat" part which is the problem. Now, if they were to use a math test competition to qualify contestants for the Hot Seat...

slam

Re: Reply to: Transcript - Jean Marie McCormick

#10 Post by slam » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:34 am

rgcviper wrote:"In a weird way, the clock is thus good for someone like me (if I were to ever get into the Hot Seat) who loves the math questions. Because the clock now makes these types of questions more challenging for most contestants, TPTB might use them more extensively."

I agree with you, rgcviper. All I'm saying (like Marley just pointed out) is that in this specific situation something which is bad for most people just happens to play into a strength of mine.

Kazoo65

#11 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:51 am

The skateboarding question was tough for me. ATA and Double Dip like she did.

Boy am I glad I pay attention to this bored-otherwise, I wouldn't have heard of the word "w00t". Being a BB pays off.
I'm just a game show nerd.

mntetn

#12 Post by mntetn » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:21 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:She thinks the Federalists have and knows the Republicans and Democrats have (misunderstanding the answer).
Meredith missed a good opportunity to mess with the contestant.

"ooohh - she must have thought you said you said Democratic and Republican, she wasn't thinking about whether the Democratic-Republican party had one, ... "

mntetn

#13 Post by mntetn » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:23 am

Kazoo65 wrote:The skateboarding question was tough for me. ATA and Double Dip like she did.

Boy am I glad I pay attention to this bored-otherwise, I wouldn't have heard of the word "w00t". Being a BB pays off.
None of the other words express joy. Certainly not "A".

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:32 am

mntetn wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:She thinks the Federalists have and knows the Republicans and Democrats have (misunderstanding the answer).
Meredith missed a good opportunity to mess with the contestant.

"ooohh - she must have thought you said you said Democratic and Republican, she wasn't thinking about whether the Democratic-Republican party had one, ... "
Meredith doesn't get any more involved with her fakeouts beyond the "Nooooo....you're not wrong" variety.

Now, Jeff Foxworthy could give her some pointers on messing with contestants. :roll: