Transcript 11/04/2008 Corinne Torres

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/04/2008 Corinne Torres

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:02 pm

Corinne Torres
Levittown, NY
'Domestic diva'

They show a picture of her two kids ages 5 and 3.

Topic tree:

Chicken
Rock & Roll
Gimme Your Digits
In Treatment
Credit Check
Greeked Out
Law & Order
Who Am I?
Foreign Tongues
Airports
Big Personalities
Turn the Tables
Snack Time
Check Aisle Two
Drinking Games

$100- At college, students playing beeropoly, beercheesi and beergammon are drinking beer while playing what?
A. Arcade games B. Racket sports
C. Board games D. Pukes and Ladders
Spoiler
C. Board games (:07)
$200- Which of these products is primarily designed to protect users from ultraviolet radiation?
A. Toothpaste B. Shaving cream
C. Shampoo D. Sunscreen
Spoiler
D. Sunscreen (:09)
$300- "Baldies" is a food industry term for pretzels that are not covered with what?
A. Cinnamon B. Sugar
C. Salt D. Ginger
Spoiler
C. Salt [:08]
$500- While on the job, which of these people would most likely practice "turntablism"?
A. Disc jockey B. Lifeguard
C. Chef D. Tattoo artist
Spoiler
A. Disc jockey [:08]
$1000- Which of these TV personalities named her dog "Regis" after her longtime on-air co-host?
A. Katie Couric B. Vanna White
C. Kathie Lee Gifford D. Mary Hart
Spoiler
C. Kathie Lee Gifford (:07)
Commercial break

$2000- What U.S. state is home to the airport with the three-letter identification code "DFW"?
A. Mississippi B. Texas
C. Florida D. Washington
Spoiler
B. Texas (:19)
$4000- Which of the following would be an appropriate response to the Spanish question "Que tai?"
A. Por favor B. Lo siento
C. Hasta luego D. Muy bien

ATA called at :22
Spoiler
ATA results A-9% B-12% C-12% D-67%

D. Muy bien [:18]
$8000- Who is T. Boone Pickens?
A. Fast-food magnate B. Oil tycoon
C. Country singer D. NFL linebacker

Expert called at :20
PAF called at :09
Double Dip called at :07
Spoiler
Expert: Ken Jennings is stumped. Slim Pickens was a country singer so it probably is not that. Then he knows nothing about country music. Really can't offer a guess.
PAF only one choice Marie from Merrick NY says she has no idea.
First Double-Dip answer was correct.

B. Oil tycoon (:07)
Corinne will return tomorrow

doitneatly

Re: Transcript 11/04/2008 Corinne Torres

#2 Post by doitneatly » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:20 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $8000- Who is T. Boone Pickens?

Spoiler
Expert: Ken Jennings is stumped. Slim Pickens was a country singer so it probably is not that. Then he knows nothing about country music. Really can't offer a guess.

Ouch, tough to burn three lifelines on that one. (plus Corinne only had one PAF choice, and unfortunately that choice was obviously NOT a googler :( )

My first thought was, what a gimme! This fellow's been in the news quite a bit recently...

But then I considered when this show was taped; presumably the first week of September or thereabouts. I'm not sure if I knew much about T. Boone back then. So I guess I'd call this one a Wicked-Weed-Out-Question after all.
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

slam

#3 Post by slam » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:27 am

doitneatly wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $8000- Who is T. Boone Pickens?

Spoiler

Ouch, tough to burn three lifelines on that one. (plus Corinne only had one PAF choice, and unfortunately that choice was obviously NOT a googler :( )

My first thought was, what a gimme! This fellow's been in the news quite a bit recently...

But then I considered when this show was taped; presumably the first week of September or thereabouts. I'm not sure if I knew much about T. Boone back then. So I guess I'd call this one a Wicked-Weed-Out-Question after all.
That was my first thought, too (a gimme). I would have thought that T. Boone was better known than this. Sure, he's been in the news more recently, but he's certainly had a relatively high profile in the business world for decades. But since Ken Jennings didn't know this, maybe I'm just a bit more focused on the business news than a typical contestant.

macrae1234

#4 Post by macrae1234 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:48 am

Louis Burton Lindley Jr was a rodeo performer and a famous rodeo clown before switching to acting. He has been quoted as saying after Dr Strangelove the parts, the money and the dressing rooms got bigger. He said he got his name when he tried out at 14 for a rodeo, he couldn't use his own name and when the owner said all you will get is slim pickins he decided on his new name, The owner misspelled it.
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

Rafferbee

#5 Post by Rafferbee » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:04 am

slam wrote:
That was my first thought, too (a gimme). I would have thought that T. Boone was better known than this. Sure, he's been in the news more recently, but he's certainly had a relatively high profile in the business world for decades. But since Ken Jennings didn't know this, maybe I'm just a bit more focused on the business news than a typical contestant.

Considering the Final Jeopardy he lost on, Ken Jennings seems to have trouble with business questions.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:00 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Corinne Torres
Levittown, NY
'Domestic diva'
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000- Which of the following would be an appropriate response to the Spanish question "Que tai?"
A. Por favor B. Lo siento
C. Hasta luego D. Muy bien

ATA called at :22
Spoiler
ATA results A-9% B-12% C-12% D-67%

D. Muy bien [:18]
I still remember a dialogue that I had to memorize in Spanish class way back in the day. It starts out "Hola, amigo? Que tal?" and the reply was "Muy bien, y tu?"
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- Who is T. Boone Pickens?

Spoiler

Wow, does this mean I'm smarter than Ken Jennings because I knew this one? And I knew it before the "Pickens Plan" was introduced.

So I'd be going for $16K with all my lifelines still available.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Thousandaire

#7 Post by Thousandaire » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:51 pm

Oh, "Que tal." I thought i was losing my mind. Never heard of "Que tai" in spanish.

NellyLunatic1980

#8 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:04 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Corinne Torres
Levittown, NY
WE®
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Chicken
Rock & Roll
Gimme Your Digits
In Treatment
Credit Check
Greeked Out
Law & Order
Who Am I?
Foreign Tongues
Airports
Big Personalities
Turn the Tables
Snack Time
Check Aisle Two
Drinking Games
Hmmmm... not sure what Greeked Out or Credit Check would be about. But the rest of the topics look good.

Nihil obstat®

doitneatly

#9 Post by doitneatly » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:03 pm

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
slam wrote:

Considering the Final Jeopardy he lost on, Ken Jennings seems to have trouble with business questions.
I seem to recall that KJ blamed that miss on the fact that he's always done his own taxes.
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:45 pm

T Boone Pickens:

I was beyond belief that KJ didn't know this one.

If you are a Democrat, you are seething with disgust at the financeer of the "Swift Boat Liars" ads. I don't care how the hell many windmill ads he chooses to finance these days.

If you are a Repub of the same stripe, which would be the skunk stripe, as Pickens, he is probably your hero for the same reason.

The only people I would have thunk didn't know this are those few Repubs who distanced themselves from those ads. & non-trivia-types in general.

And, in general, the windwill ads have been running long enough that if you ever tape/TiVO/whatever stuff on TV, you would know Pickens put up the funds, which rules out a couple of the categories even if the ads don't have "oil tycoon's next ride" written all over them. Even if I came into this blind, I wouldn't think a country star or linebacker, even if they had the funds, & some do, would have been saturating the airways with windwill ads.