Transcript 11/5/08 - Greg Wicklein

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/5/08 - Greg Wicklein

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:59 pm

Greg Wicklein
Annapolis, MD
Insurance Salesman

Greg's car has no heat or air conditioning, so he needs a new car.

His category tree:

Hello, Dolly!
General Lee
Far-Out Food
Constitutional Law
Iconic Albums
The Name Game
Page-Turners
Political Moments
Town Mottos
Locker Talk
Military History
Squeezebox
Nasty Weather
Around the House
Roll Call

$100 (Roll Call): During a roll call, what do students traditionally shout in response to their names?
A. "Goodbye!" B. "Here!"
C. "Thank you!" D. "Holla back!"
Spoiler
B. "Here!" (7)
$200 (Around the House): In "childproofing" their home to make it safer for kids, parents often install anti-scald devices on which of these fixtures?
A. Electrical outlets B. Faucets
C. Doorknobs D. Banisters

Greg chooses to ATA with 5 seconds left.

A. Electrical outlets - 6%
B. Faucets - 92%
C. Doorknobs - 1%
D. Banisters - 1%
Spoiler
B. Faucets (4)
(He says he knew it as soon as he asked for the lifeline....)

$300 (Nasty Weather): What natural disaster does the National Weather Service define as "a deficiency in precipitation over an extended period"?
A. Drought B. Tidal wave
C. Hurricane D. Avalanche
Spoiler
A. Drought (9)
$500 (Squeezebox): Which of these musical instruments is often playfully referred to as a "squeezebox"?
A. Guitar B. Pipe organ
C. Accordion D. Trumpet
Spoiler
C. Accordion (8)
$1,000 (Military History): In July 2008, thousands of U.S. war reenactors staged a massive three-day battle to mark the 145th anniversary of what?
A. Battle of Gettysburg B. D-Day Invasion
C. Boston Tea Party D. Battle of Bunker Hill
Spoiler
A. Battle of Gettysburg (6)
COMMERCIAL BREAK.

The expert for the ATE is still Ken Jennings, who was sort of successful at some other show. Ken is excited about being on a show where he doesn't even need to be wearing pants. (Meredith tells Greg that Ken is ready for him...is "really hangin' out for him". Groans are heard...)

$2,000 (Locker Talk): If the singer Davy Jones had a locker in the place referred to as "Davy Jones's locker" where would it be?
A. On the moon's surface B. At the bottom of the sea
C. In the desert D. On a wharf
Spoiler
B. At the bottom of the sea (22)
$4,000 (Town Mottos): Well-known to sports enthusiasts, the town of Saratoga Springs, NY uses the motto "Health, History and" what?
A. Hot Rods B. Hockey
C. Horses D. Home Runs
Spoiler
C. Horses (21)
$8,000 (Political Moments): Of these "50 Greatest Political Moments" listed on Politico.com in 2008, which occurred first?
A. Gingrich Storms to Power B. Dean's Scream
C. Dukakis Gets Tanked D. Dole Says Goodbye
Spoiler
C. Dukakis Gets Tanked (16)
$16,000 (Page-Turners): The best-seller "Angels & Demons" shares the same author and protagonist as what other best-selling novel?
A. Memoirs of a Geisha B. The DaVinci Code
C. The Kite Runner D. The Secret Life of Bees
Spoiler
B. The DaVinci Code (14)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Greg promised the producers that if he got to $25,000 he'd "do a little two-step, a little happy dance."

$25,000 (The Name Game): Which of the following are the amusingly similar names of a TV actress and a Major League baseball player?
A. Patricia Arquette & Patrick Arquette B. Tina Fey & Tino Fey
C. Eva Longoria & Evan Longoria D. Ellen Pompeo & Allen Pompeo
Spoiler
C. Eva Longoria & Evan Longoria (15)
Greg did the happy dance.

$50,000 (Iconic Albums): The cover of the classic 1976 Eagles album "Hotel California" features a photo of what real-life California hotel?
A. Chateau Marmont B. Beverly Hills Hotel
C. Continental Hyatt House D. Hotel Bel-Air

Greg chooses to PAF with 37 seconds on the clock. Standing by are his dad, Lou (Annapolis, MD), his uncle, Craig (Richmond, VA) and his great-aunt, Barbara (Tamaqua, PA). Greg calls his dad ("I'm pretty sure he gets this."). but Lou apologizes right away for not knowing or offering a guess.

Greg then chooses to ATE (at 31 seconds), Ken Somebody. Ken's a moderate Eagles fan, but it would only be a guess. Since it's a free guess, Ken says that if it were his free guess, he's leaning towards "A".

Greg then chooses to DD (with 29 seconds).

His first guess is
Spoiler
A. Chateau Marmont which is wrong.
His second guess is
Spoiler
D. Hotel Bel-Air (19) which is also wrong.
The correct answer is:
Spoiler
B. Beverly Hills Hotel
Greg leaves with $25,000.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: Transcript 11/5/08 - Greg Wicklein

#2 Post by etaoin22 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:09 pm

Greg promised the producers that if he got to $25,000 he'd "do a little two-step, a little happy dance."

$25,000 (The Name Game): Which of the following are the amusingly similar names of a TV actress and a Major League baseball player?
A. Patricia Arquette & Patrick Arquette B. Tina Fey & Tino Fey
C. Eva Longoria & Evan Longoria D. Ellen Pompeo & Allen Pompeo

25K for him, but... for you types this factoid made it only to part of an FNGD Q1.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10867

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:18 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Hello, Dolly!
General Lee
Far-Out Food
Constitutional Law
Iconic Albums
The Name Game
Page-Turners
Political Moments
Town Mottos
Locker Talk
Military History
Squeezebox
Nasty Weather
Around the House
Roll Call
Those final two categories worry me. The rest look good.

I went 10-for-10 to win $25,000.

$50K: I've seen the album cover many times. My father has this CD. It is definitely not the Chateau Marmont... and it's probably not the Continental Hyatt. Double Dip on Hotel Bel-Air, then Beverly Hills Hotel.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:02 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Greg Wicklein
Annapolis, MD
Insurance Salesman

Greg's car has no heat or air conditioning, so he needs a new car.
For some reason ABC decided that airing President Bush's statement about the election results was more important than BAM, so I didn't get to see Greg go for the $50K question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200 (Around the House): In "childproofing" their home to make it safer for kids, parents often install anti-scald devices on which of these fixtures?
A. Electrical outlets B. Faucets
C. Doorknobs D. Banisters

Greg chooses to ATA with 5 seconds left.

A. Electrical outlets - 6%
B. Faucets - 92%
C. Doorknobs - 1%
D. Banisters - 1%
Spoiler
B. Faucets (4)
(He says he knew it as soon as he asked for the lifeline....)
Given how strong Greg did the rest of the way, I attribute this to a case of Hotseatitis.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The expert for the ATE is still Ken Jennings, who was sort of successful at some other show. Ken is excited about being on a show where he doesn't even need to be wearing pants. (Meredith tells Greg that Ken is ready for him...is "really hangin' out for him". Groans are heard...)
I believe Meredith also said something about Greg "steeling himself" when he saw Ken, which, after the other statement, also sounded like a double entendre.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 (Political Moments): Of these "50 Greatest Political Moments" listed on Politico.com in 2008, which occurred first?
A. Gingrich Storms to Power B. Dean's Scream
C. Dukakis Gets Tanked D. Dole Says Goodbye
Spoiler
C. Dukakis Gets Tanked (16)
Gingrich 1994; Dean 2004; Dole 2000; Dukakis 1988.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000 (Iconic Albums): The cover of the classic 1976 Eagles album "Hotel California" features a photo of what real-life California hotel?
A. Chateau Marmont B. Beverly Hills Hotel
C. Continental Hyatt House D. Hotel Bel-Air

Greg chooses to PAF with 37 seconds on the clock. Standing by are his dad, Lou (Annapolis, MD), his uncle, Craig (Richmond, VA) and his great-aunt, Barbara (Tamaqua, PA). Greg calls his dad ("I'm pretty sure he gets this."). but Lou apologizes right away for not knowing or offering a guess.

Greg then chooses to ATE (at 31 seconds), Ken Somebody. Ken's a moderate Eagles fan, but it would only be a guess. Since it's a free guess, Ken says that if it were his free guess, he's leaning towards "A".

Greg then chooses to DD (with 29 seconds).

His first guess is
Spoiler
A. Chateau Marmont which is wrong.
His second guess is
Spoiler
D. Hotel Bel-Air (19) which is also wrong.
The correct answer is:
Spoiler
B. Beverly Hills Hotel
No idea - I'm not a big Eagles fan, although I do like "Hotel California" (the single). So it's time to use a lifeline. Might as well ATA because they might know this, but be ready to follow up with another lifeline if the response isn't strong enough.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

macrae1234

#5 Post by macrae1234 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:57 am

The hotel on the album cover is the Beverly Hills Hotel, known as the Pink Palace. It is often frequented by Hollywood stars. The photo was taken by photographers David Alexander and John Kosh, who sat in a cherry-picker about 60 feet above Sunset Boulevard to get the shot of the hotel at sunset from above the trees. The rush-hour traffic made it a harrowing experience
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

luv2jog

#6 Post by luv2jog » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:06 am

macrae1234 wrote:The hotel on the album cover is the Beverly Hills Hotel, known as the Pink Palace. It is often frequented by Hollywood stars. The photo was taken by photographers David Alexander and John Kosh, who sat in a cherry-picker about 60 feet above Sunset Boulevard to get the shot of the hotel at sunset from above the trees. The rush-hour traffic made it a harrowing experience
Macrae, you should give credit to the source that you got that info from.

madamemeisha

#7 Post by madamemeisha » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:35 am

"General Lee" was on my list too. I don't think that's spoiling anything, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I just thought it was interesting.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:43 am

madamemeisha wrote:"General Lee" was on my list too. I don't think that's spoiling anything, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I just thought it was interesting.
Yeah. We've had discussions speculating about whether they recycle unused questions or toss them out and write entirely new batches every time. Now that we're seeing some high level topics reappearing, it's circumstantial evidence that they do.

macrae1234

#9 Post by macrae1234 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:18 am

Seventies greatest album covers
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.