scratched cornea

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

#51 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:39 am

Odyssey wrote:I went for my follow-up and the dr. said he couldn't even see the abrasion anymore. Yay! One more day of drops and I'm done with this mess.
Hooray!

tanstaafl2

#52 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:17 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:
There are occasions when you do need to stick a needle into the eye. I have in fact stuck a needle into the eye while at the slit lamp. It is perhaps most typically done for a reason much different from uveitis. When a patient has an acute pressure spike in association with a central retinal artery occlusion you can reduce the pressure a bit by sticking a small gauge needle into the anterior chamber through the cornea and withdrawing a small amount of fluid. And because you can effectively anesthetize the cornea with drops it is nearly painless to the patient, unlike the sub tenons injection.

And I should add that in rare cases steroids can be injected into the eye for uveitis and not peribulbar. But it is much less common.
OK, I got the heebie-jeebies now. Anyone else?
OMG. This whole discussion has my stomach sitting behind my butt, my buttcheeks scrinching in terror, my eyeballs dropping in pressure along with my blood, and just all around I want to run away and run some more. omg
Well, that is just one occasion when one might might need to stick a needle in someones eye when they are otherwise awake and conscious. There are others! Shall I discuss them in morbid detail...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

gotribego26

#53 Post by gotribego26 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:55 am

tanstaafl2 wrote: And because you can effectively anesthetize the cornea with drops it is nearly painless to the patient, unlike the sub tenons injection.
When I had my cornea transplant I was given a pill to relax me while they injected a block around my eye. I came to midway through the surgery and was conversing with the Dr. and staff as they finished up.

While I felt no "pain" I could tell they were working on my eye. It was really quite interesting as it proceeded

tanstaafl2

#54 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:09 pm

gotribego26 wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote: And because you can effectively anesthetize the cornea with drops it is nearly painless to the patient, unlike the sub tenons injection.
When I had my cornea transplant I was given a pill to relax me while they injected a block around my eye. I came to midway through the surgery and was conversing with the Dr. and staff as they finished up.

While I felt no "pain" I could tell they were working on my eye. It was really quite interesting as it proceeded
Yes, a common experience for most forms of eye surgery these days, including the most typical procedure, cataract extraction. Often my patients would get a little "milk of amnesia" via their IV so that wouldn't remember the retrobulbar injection and then wake up within a few minutes and be awake and relatively alert for the rest of the surgery.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Jocelyn
Merry Man

#55 Post by Jocelyn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Yes, a common experience for most forms of eye surgery these days, including the most typical procedure, cataract extraction. Often my patients would get a little "milk of amnesia" via their IV so that wouldn't remember the retrobulbar injection and then wake up within a few minutes and be awake and relatively alert for the rest of the surgery.
I'm quite a fan of the milk of the amnesia. And I try to have a retrobulbar injection as often as possible. It keeps the pores clean.
Just touch it. It's very lifelike. Go ahead. I know you want to.