scratched cornea

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tanstaafl2

#26 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:37 pm

Odyssey wrote:Thank you, Tanstaafl2, for chiming in with your expertise. I am just back from the dr. and the good news is, the jab did not go through. Bad news, yes it did break the surface. I was sent away with antibiotic drops and an appointment on Mon. He wants to check for a fungal infection then, because it was a plant source, as you mentioned.

I'm just going to hurt for a couple days and hopefully that will be the end of it. Dr. said he had someone that stabbed themselves in the eye with an aloe and it went through the eye, requiring surgery. He also said someone got stabbed with a pen and it went through, but it took that person 15 days to come in--they didn't realize it had gone through!

I'm re-evaluating my spiky houseplants.
Good plan! One of the (few) advantages of being a life long glasses wearer is I have avoided poking myself in the eye on countless occasions. And one reason I am not sure LASIK would be a good thing for me is because the very first thing I would probably do is poke myself in the eye.

Fungal infections, although rare, can indeed be nasty and it is good to rule it out. Hope yours heals without further problem!

It is indeed quite possible to perforate the cornea and not be aware of it. I have seen this a number of times because the wound can be self sealing. But the risk of developing severe infection or endophthalmitis is increased and can be devastating. Glad that wasn't the case for you!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#27 Post by Odyssey » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:50 pm

Thanks for the good wishes!
Odyssey

tlynn78

#28 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:53 pm

Gots to take care of your eyes. I once managed to splash a drop of superglue into mine. Luckily it landed on my contact lens, and I managed not to blink before the glue 'set' and I got the lens out.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#29 Post by Odyssey » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:56 pm

tlynn78 wrote:Gots to take care of your eyes. I once managed to splash a drop of superglue into mine. Luckily it landed on my contact lens, and I managed not to blink before the glue 'set' and I got the lens out.

t.
I never realized how unlucky I was not to need glasses/contacts!
Odyssey

ghostjmf

#30 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:55 pm

Glad to read belatedly that its turning out OK. Both my Mom & the family dog have vision loss from their (unrelated!) corneal scratches. But each can still see out of the scratched eye to some extent. (My Mom is, understandably, much easier to vision-test.)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#31 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:59 pm

Odyssey wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:The corneal abrasion disappeared to the naked eye about six months after I got it. It took about five or six years for my optometrist to stop being able to see it when he looked into my eyes.
Did it effect your vision?
No. My vision is just as bad as it has always been.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#32 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:00 pm

Appa23 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Emma has always wanted a little brother, but I don't know if I could have gone through a third pregnancy.
There are other options.

Should I send Emma some links to help convince you? :lol:
I don't want to upset the delicate 1:1 parent child ratio in our house. It's nice being able to take off with just one kid.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#33 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:02 pm

Odyssey wrote:Thank you, Tanstaafl2, for chiming in with your expertise. I am just back from the dr. and the good news is, the jab did not go through. Bad news, yes it did break the surface. I was sent away with antibiotic drops and an appointment on Mon. He wants to check for a fungal infection then, because it was a plant source, as you mentioned.

I'm just going to hurt for a couple days and hopefully that will be the end of it. Dr. said he had someone that stabbed themselves in the eye with an aloe and it went through the eye, requiring surgery. He also said someone got stabbed with a pen and it went through, but it took that person 15 days to come in--they didn't realize it had gone through!

I am glad that the jab did not go through. Hopefully you won't end up with a fungal infection.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#34 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:26 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:

It took me awhile to post in this thread, due to the YOW factor. A friend of ours managed to impale a stake from a patio plant into his eyeball, the white part of his eye, the sclera? while lifting the pot. When he put the pot down it pulled the stake out, but he was bleeding profusely and his girlfriend took him to the hospital. He's fine. No vision loss. But, really, I mean. I have no words.

We're paranoid about our yuccas.

Take care of your eyeball.

gad
I am glad that the jab did not go through. Hopefully you won't end up with a fungal infection.
Well, then

tlynn78

#35 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:31 pm

beebs. where is your fabu vaca going to be?

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#36 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:41 pm

tlynn78 wrote:beebs. where is your fabu vaca going to be?

t.
Puerto Aventuras, south of Playa del Carmen. An all-inclusive. Nothing fancy dancy, just pina coladas, snorkeling, sleep, water, pina coladas, laughter, sleep. I forget the name of the place. My sis in law's daughter went on her honeymoon and said it was great. It's close enough to Xel ha that we can go float around.

I think it's the Catalonia Riviera Maya.
Well, then

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#37 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:31 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:beebs. where is your fabu vaca going to be?

t.
Puerto Aventuras, south of Playa del Carmen. An all-inclusive. Nothing fancy dancy, just pina coladas, snorkeling, sleep, water, pina coladas, laughter, sleep. I forget the name of the place. My sis in law's daughter went on her honeymoon and said it was great. It's close enough to Xel ha that we can go float around.

I think it's the Catalonia Riviera Maya.
That sounds really nice. Have fun!

gotribego26

Re: scratched cornea

#38 Post by gotribego26 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:02 am

Odyssey wrote:I was bending over and jammed myself in the eye with a nearby palm frond last night. Ouch! I can see the scratch on my cornea (and can still see thank goodness). It still hurts today and I'm thinking I'd better go in to the dr. Anyone have experience with a scratched cornea? Do they give you anything for the pain and irritation?
I had a cornea transplant about 7 years ago - for a few months I had two drops - an antibiotic to ward off infection and a steriod (prednisone IIRC) to promote healing. After that abrasions were more frequent than normal for a couple years - it was always the same two.

The Prednisone was great stuff - abrasions healed in days rather than weeks. In serious cases they will bandage eyes with damaged corneas.

Ritterskoop

#39 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:24 pm

Prednisone must be way multipurpose. My cat gets a shot of it every couple of months when he starts wheezing.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

#40 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:42 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:At one particularly nasty session, the vomit bounced off the toilet and hit me in the eye. I ended up getting a corneal abrasion. It was so bad that you could see it with the naked eye.
I think you need to cut back on the fiber in your diet. :P

earendel

#41 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:41 am

Ritterskoop wrote:Prednisone must be way multipurpose. My cat gets a shot of it every couple of months when he starts wheezing.
I have suffered from recurring bouts of iritis, and prednisone was one of the medications I was given to help treat it. On one occasion the flare-up was so bad that I had to...

(squeamish people please avoid this)
Spoiler
...have the medication injected directly into my eyeball. There is nothing more terrifying than having to watch as a needle comes right at your eye, and few things more painful than the actual injection.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#42 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:43 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:One of the (few) advantages of being a life long glasses wearer is I have avoided poking myself in the eye on countless occasions. And one reason I am not sure LASIK would be a good thing for me is because the very first thing I would probably do is poke myself in the eye.
I, too, am a lifelong glasses wearer and for the same reason (that, and the fact that I believe I look better with glasses than without them).

tanstaafl2

#43 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:49 pm

earendel wrote: I have suffered from recurring bouts of iritis, and prednisone was one of the medications I was given to help treat it. On one occasion the flare-up was so bad that I had to...

Spoiler
...have the medication injected directly into my eyeball. There is nothing more terrifying than having to watch as a needle comes right at your eye, and few things more painful than the actual injection.
While I can't know for sure I suspect you had what is known as a sub tenons injection of steroid. I have done this on a number of occasions for severe recalcitrant uveitis. Although it is not injected into the eyeball proper I am sure it seemed that way!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

earendel

#44 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:00 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
earendel wrote: I have suffered from recurring bouts of iritis, and prednisone was one of the medications I was given to help treat it. On one occasion the flare-up was so bad that I had to...

Spoiler
While I can't know for sure I suspect you had what is known as a sub tenons injection of steroid. I have done this on a number of occasions for severe recalcitrant uveitis. Although it is not injected into the eyeball proper I am sure it seemed that way!
I bow to your superior knowledge. All I know is that I sat in the chair, my chin on the rest, my forehead pressed against the metal bar, and watched this needle come straight at me. I felt it stick me in the eye and felt the pressure (and pain) as I was injected. Whether in the eyeball or in the sub tenons didn't matter a whole lot. But it did work, and quickly compared to eyedrops that I had been given for previous occurrences.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#45 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:24 pm

earendel wrote:
Spoiler

Ewwwww!

tanstaafl2

#46 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:20 pm

earendel wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:

Spoiler
I bow to your superior knowledge. All I know is that I sat in the chair, my chin on the rest, my forehead pressed against the metal bar, and watched this needle come straight at me. I felt it stick me in the eye and felt the pressure (and pain) as I was injected. Whether in the eyeball or in the sub tenons didn't matter a whole lot. But it did work, and quickly compared to eyedrops that I had been given for previous occurrences.
There are occasions when you do need to stick a needle into the eye. I have in fact stuck a needle into the eye while at the slit lamp. It is perhaps most typically done for a reason much different from uveitis. When a patient has an acute pressure spike in association with a central retinal artery occlusion you can reduce the pressure a bit by sticking a small gauge needle into the anterior chamber through the cornea and withdrawing a small amount of fluid. And because you can effectively anesthetize the cornea with drops it is nearly painless to the patient, unlike the sub tenons injection.

And I should add that in rare cases steroids can be injected into the eye for uveitis and not peribulbar. But it is much less common.
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#47 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:27 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
There are occasions when you do need to stick a needle into the eye. I have in fact stuck a needle into the eye while at the slit lamp. It is perhaps most typically done for a reason much different from uveitis. When a patient has an acute pressure spike in association with a central retinal artery occlusion you can reduce the pressure a bit by sticking a small gauge needle into the anterior chamber through the cornea and withdrawing a small amount of fluid. And because you can effectively anesthetize the cornea with drops it is nearly painless to the patient, unlike the sub tenons injection.

And I should add that in rare cases steroids can be injected into the eye for uveitis and not peribulbar. But it is much less common.
OK, I got the heebie-jeebies now. Anyone else?
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#48 Post by hermillion » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:40 pm

I'm with PSM on this one! Yikes!!
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#49 Post by Odyssey » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:52 am

I went for my follow-up and the dr. said he couldn't even see the abrasion anymore. Yay! One more day of drops and I'm done with this mess.

Many of your stories, however, are going to stay with me for a long, long time!! Holy moly!!
Odyssey

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#50 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:38 am

Rexer25 wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:

OK, I got the heebie-jeebies now. Anyone else?
OMG. This whole discussion has my stomach sitting behind my butt, my buttcheeks scrinching in terror, my eyeballs dropping in pressure along with my blood, and just all around I want to run away and run some more. omg
Well, then