Transcript 11/07/2008 - Karen Christensen (Winnamill)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/07/2008 - Karen Christensen (Winnamill)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:08 am

Karen Christensen Winnamill
Sunnyvale, CA

Topic tree:
- It's Been Decades!
- Beat the Heat
- The Ringed Planet
- Dave
- Opera
- Local Cuisine
- Are We There Yet?
- Novel Ideas
- Game, Set, Match
- Med School
- Superheroes
- Funnymen
- Web Site Says
- Classic Films
- Richard Simmons

$100 - In 2008, fitness guru Richard Simmons appeared before Congress to stress the importance of what school class?
A - physical education
B - math
C - biology
D - sequins 101
Spoiler
A - physical education (7)
$200 - In what classic Gary Cooper film does Babe Ruth appear as himself?
A - High Noon
B - Sergeant York
C - The Pride of the Yankees
D - The Virginian
Spoiler
C - The Pride of the Yankees (8)
$300 - Which of these organizations proclaims on its Web site, "Animals are not ours to wear"?
A - AARP
B - PETA
C - ACLU
D - NOW
Spoiler
B - PETA (9)
$500 - "Knocked Up" and "Pineapple Express" star Seth Rogen often jokes about having a "Jewfro", a reference to his what?
A - feet
B - eyes
C - hair
D - ears
Spoiler
C - hair (11)
$1K - Which of these superheroes typically wears a mask?
A - Wonder Woman
B - Spider-Man
C - Aquaman
D - Superman
Spoiler
B - Spider-Man (9)
$2K - "Necropsy" is another name for which of these medical procedures?
A - appendectomy
B - biopsy
C - autopsy
D - tonsillectomy
Spoiler
C - autopsy (23)
$4K - In 2008, what female tennis player won the U.S. Open?
A - Jelena Jankovic
B - Serena Williams
C - Ana Ivanovic
D - Elena Dementieva

Karen giggles as Meredith reads the question.
Spoiler
Karen says, "I'll pronounce the easy one: B - Serena Williams, final answer."

B- Serena Williams (17)
commercial break

Karen is a school librarian and also coaches badminton and figure skating. She's been waiting 9 years to get into the Hot Seat. She's wearing a pink sweater, since it was part of the outfit she wore for her audition. She says it's "the power of pink" and hopes the sweater will bring her luck.

$8K - What author once said about one of his novels, "There isn't any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man"?
A - Ernest Hemmingway
B - F. Scott Fitzgerald
C - William Faulkner
D - Mark Twain

Meredith notes that Karen is a librarian; notwithstanding that, Karen opts to phone a friend. On her PAF list are her college roommate Kay; Steven, a fellow teacher (gym); and co-worker Ann, a librarian. Karen chooses Kay.
Spoiler
With 21 seconds left Karen uses her PAF. Kay seems surprised to hear Meredith's voice so Meredith asks if Kay was expecting her to call. Kay says she was hoping Karen could answer the questions without her help. Kay would have to say "Hemmingway" because he wrote "The Old Man and the Sea". Karen asks if she's sure. Kay replies that she's sure he wrote the book but not that he made the statement. Karen thinks Kay's right and makes "A" her final answer.

A - Ernest Hemmingway (19)
THE HORN!!!!!!

Edited to show Karen is Winnamill
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

earendel

Re: Transcript 11/07/2008 - Karen Christensen

#2 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:41 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Karen Christensen
Sunnyvale, CA
No medical hook - yet.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Karen is a school librarian and also coaches badminton and figure skating. She's been waiting 9 years to get into the Hot Seat. She's wearing a pink sweater, since it was part of the outfit she wore for her audition. She says it's "the power of pink" and hopes the sweater will bring her luck.
OK, is Karen a BB? Did someone clue her into the "pink sweater" concept?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - What author once said about one of his novels, "There isn't any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man"?
A - Ernest Hemmingway
B - F. Scott Fitzgerald
C - William Faulkner
D - Mark Twain

Meredith notes that Karen is a librarian; notwithstanding that, Karen opts to phone a friend. On her PAF list are her college roommate Kay; Steven, a fellow teacher (gym); and co-worker Ann, a librarian. Karen chooses Kay.
Spoiler
With 21 seconds left Karen uses her PAF. Kay seems surprised to hear Meredith's voice so Meredith asks if Kay was expecting her to call. Kay says she was hoping Karen could answer the questions without her help. Kay would have to say "Hemmingway" because he wrote "The Old Man and the Sea". Karen asks if she's sure. Kay replies that she's sure he wrote the book but not that he made the statement. Karen thinks Kay's right and makes "A" her final answer.

A - Ernest Hemmingway (19)
I'm surprised that as a librarian Karen didn't make the connection, but OTOH maybe she's an elementary school librarian.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:46 am

Sunnyvale, CA
Yay! Our very own Winnamill! :D
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: - It's Been Decades!
- Beat the Heat
- The Ringed Planet
- Dave
- Opera
- Local Cuisine
- Are We There Yet?
- Novel Ideas
- Game, Set, Match
- Med School
- Superheroes
- Funnymen
- Web Site Says
- Classic Films
- Richard Simmons
The evil Opera category has returned. Dave is really vague. Could be about anybody named Dave--Letterman, Thomas, Barry, Osborne...

Nihil obstat®

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:49 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
Sunnyvale, CA
Yay! Our very own Winnamill! :D
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: - It's Been Decades!
- Beat the Heat
- The Ringed Planet
- Dave
- Opera
- Local Cuisine
- Are We There Yet?
- Novel Ideas
- Game, Set, Match
- Med School
- Superheroes
- Funnymen
- Web Site Says
- Classic Films
- Richard Simmons
The evil Opera category has returned. Dave is really vague. Could be about anybody named Dave--Letterman, Thomas, Barry, Osborne...
Or Kevin Kline. Or a King of ancient Israel. Or Cheech & Chong routines.

Looks like the writers have been hitting the ethnic restaurants, too. Another Local Cuisine question. I'd like my odds on Saturn, though, if I got that far.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:51 am

earendel wrote: OK, is Karen a BB?
Yes, as the subject line indicates, Karen is Winnamill!

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:55 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
That wasn't there when I posted. (Nor was it there when I posted the transcript because I thought her appearance was today).

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:59 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
That wasn't there when I posted. (Nor was it there when I posted the transcript because I thought her appearance was today).
Another member of the BBTranscriptTeam must have volunteered that edit! (It wasn't me.)

As I said in another thread, I had forgotten about the post Karen made last Monday, saying she was supposed to be a carryover this Monday (until the episodes got shuffled), so I didn't realize she was a BB as I watched her. But something about her name was familiar and then when she mentioned her nine year quest for the Hot Seat... 8)

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:04 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Yes, as the subject line indicates, Karen is Winnamill!
Another member of the BBTranscriptTeam must have volunteered that edit! (It wasn't me.)

As I said in another thread, I had forgotten about the post Karen made last Monday, saying she was supposed to be a carryover this Monday (until the episodes got shuffled), so I didn't realize she was a BB as I watched her. But something about her name was familiar and then when she mentioned her nine year quest for the Hot Seat... 8)
I guess I shoulda picked up on that, but I did the transcript late last night.

Kazoo65

Re: Transcript 11/07/2008 - Karen Christensen (Winnamill)

#9 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:43 pm

OK so far.

My dad was a pathologist-so I SHOULD know what a necropsy is! When I was a kid, I kept having to explain to people exactly what it was my dad did. :)
I'm just a game show nerd.

Winnamill

Re: Transcript 11/07/2008 - Karen Christensen (Winnamill)

#10 Post by Winnamill » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:30 pm

Here's the scoop so far (in brief -- more details after the whole thing has aired on Nov. 24):

Re the pink jacket: I had ordered a new outfit in red (I always have my badminton players wear their red shirt for "Power" when we play our tough competitors), but it did not come in in time. They apparently screwed up on sending it right after I ordered it, and sent it out a week later. They could not Fed Ex it as they don't work with them, and there was not enough time for UPS to send it to NYC. So the back-up plan was the black sundress with pink jacket. Then I remembered that I had worn that outfit for the interview portion of the audition so figured it was a lucky dress. The necklace was a gift from a friend who drove me to Sacramento in 2000 when I got on the show the first time. I wore it on that show too. I also had a couple of pins on the inside of the jacket for good luck.

Re my "profession": I list "athletic coach" as my profession when asked. I am not technically a librarian as in having an MLS degree, etc. I worked for 10 years supervising pages (people who shelve books, etc.) in a public library and help students now with checking out and basic searches. My PAF Ann is the actual school librarian. The show apparently liked the librarian aspect more than the coach aspect.

Re my choice of PAFs: Obviously, it makes sense to call Ann (and the group lifeline that could have included 1-2 English teachers as well), which is what I did. However, after waiting for 5-10 minutes for a call to go through, my producer finally came over and said they COULD NOT REACH THE PAF!!! I knew the students were just finishing school and had evil thoughts of murder on my mind as I figured the PAFs were dealing with the rowdies! They had just talked to them prior to my going in the HS so WHO KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED!!! They gave me the choice of not using a PAF or choosing one of the others so I went with Kay as Steve was my sports guy.

Re why I used a PAF on that question: Because they weren't just asking who the author was but for a quote ABOUT the book, I thought it might have been someone else who just used the title to say there was no symbolism. Probably overthinking the question, but DID NOT want to leave with only $1K. Will know better once the final show airs if that was a mistake at all or not. At this point I don't think it matters in the final outcome.