Transcript 11/11/08 - Brianne Sherman (Carryover-MmeMeisha)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheConfessor

Re: Transcript 11/11/08 - Brianne Sherman (Carryover-MmeMeisha)

#51 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:46 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Brianne chooses to call Bob. Meredith points out to Bob that his picture is from the set of Jeopardy! and says "OK, that's it. Bye bye." She's kidding, of course.
For the record, the image of Bob that they displayed on air was cropped to show a closeup of his smiling face and had nothing in the background that would be recognizable (except, perhaps, for the most diehard J! fanatics) as being from the Jeopardy! set. I'm curious if the photo Bob provided was a wider angle shot that clearly showed he was on the set or if he was identified as a J! champ in his official PAF info.
I'm sure it was cropped by the producers. I sent them a photo of me with a wombat on my lap, but they cropped it out for the show.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#52 Post by hermillion » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:58 pm

Brianne, you were a joy to watch! Your enthusiasm was contagious, and your game play was terrific. The Academic Team was practicing in my classroom during the broadcast, so we broke to watch your run. My students are very impressed that someone so near their own ages won big. You are now the unofficial mascot/inspiration for the team this year.

I loved the fact that you knew so many things outside of your "age group"! In my experience, many young folks only pay attention to things right in front of their noses, but you demonstrated a wideranging awareness that really paid off.

When your 500K question came up I was almost in tears that they had not asked me to be the ATE that day. I assign a Civil War-era novel, With Every Drop of Blood, to my students every spring. Some critical action in the final chapters takes place in the McClean home. When the question came up, I could picture the page in my mind and knew the name started with an M. If there had been more than one "M" choice I'd have been in trouble. Oh well, coulda, shoulda, woulda!

I second the advice to get some competent tax help. Count on having to write the biggest check you've ever written in your life. But also count on GETTING to write the biggest check you've written so far! Also, don't listen to those smart alecks who will tell you, "I knew that 500K question. I would have won!" Yeah, they might have known that ONE, but could they have answered the other 13 to get there? Did any of them actually make the effort to try out? And, if they did, did they pass the test? Enjoy your experience, and let any negativity just run off your back.

Congratulations on your success, and please stick around to let us keep up with your bright future!

Nancy
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

Bob Juch

#53 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:55 pm

slam wrote:I had thought they did because I had always heard that CA withholds state taxes on J! winnings.

In any event, make sure you set aside enough to pay the taxes that WILL come due.
California can tax J! winnings only if the contestant lives in California.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#54 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:57 pm

madamemeisha wrote:Oh lord, Bob J., that picture!!

And don't worry. I will definitely be hiring someone to help me because I have no idea what I'm doing. Some people keep bringing up the taxes like they're such a bad thing, almost like it's not even worth it to win. Whatever! It's still a huge amount for me!
Hey, don't blame me. I didn't operate the camera! :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

madamemeisha

#55 Post by madamemeisha » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:11 pm

I don't blame the camera either. I blame myself for looking like Quentin Tarantino. :shock: Kidding, kidding. I'm just not used to seeing my face everywhere.

KillerTomato

#56 Post by KillerTomato » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:52 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Brianne chooses to call Bob. Meredith points out to Bob that his picture is from the set of Jeopardy! and says "OK, that's it. Bye bye." She's kidding, of course.
For the record, the image of Bob that they displayed on air was cropped to show a closeup of his smiling face and had nothing in the background that would be recognizable (except, perhaps, for the most diehard J! fanatics) as being from the Jeopardy! set. I'm curious if the photo Bob provided was a wider angle shot that clearly showed he was on the set or if he was identified as a J! champ in his official PAF info.

Funnily enough, when I was doing the transcript and the pics came up (and before the banter about them), I wrote "....and her friend, Bob, a lawyer from Los Angeles and judging from his picture, a former Jeopardy! contestant." Then Meredith mentioned it, and I had to do some editing....
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

slam

#57 Post by slam » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:45 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
slam wrote:I had thought they did because I had always heard that CA withholds state taxes on J! winnings.

In any event, make sure you set aside enough to pay the taxes that WILL come due.
That's not what a bunch of people who won on J! experienced.

http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/s ... ithholding

Bob Juch

#58 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 pm

slam wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

That's not what a bunch of people who won on J! experienced.

http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/s ... ithholding
Well huh! That's all rather confused and contradictory. If your winnings are considered earned income, then you'd have to pay FICA and Medicare taxes too.

All I know for sure is that my BAM check was issued by Disney in California and had no taxes withheld. New York state said they were the only state due taxes.

Could it be that there's a California law that game show winnings from California are taxable in California?

I wish that I had been liable for just U.S. and Florida (none) income tax on my winnings!

KillerTomato

#59 Post by KillerTomato » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:17 pm

I seem to recall having the CA taxes on my J! winnings withheld, and having to file a CA state return to have it refunded (while at the same time, claiming the income on my PA return and paying them). Or maybe it was filing with PA that I already paid state taxes in CA on the income. It was one or the other.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

TheCalvinator24

#60 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:30 pm

I didn't have to pay any state income tax on my BAM money. Back in 2001, game show winnings were not included in the definition of "income" in the NY Tax Code.

The Federal Income Tax was quite a chunk though.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Transcript 11/11/08 - Brianne Sherman (Carryov

#61 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Not as a champ, but it is a photo of me after the Jeopardy! round with Alex's arm around me -- the same photo all players get. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#62 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:01 pm

I was told on Jeopardy they will withhold California state taxes if you earn more than $1500. This turned out not to be relevant to my situation.

My tax advisor said your home state will give credit for that, so if you pay 4% or whatever in California and your home state is 8%, you would only pay 4% in your home state. If you live in one of the states with no income tax, so much the worse for you.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Snaxx

#63 Post by Snaxx » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:06 pm

Congrats Brianne on the great showing!

Uh oh, I see the thread subject has gone to pot... I mean taxes... good luck with that!

TheConfessor

#64 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:58 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Not as a champ, but it is a photo of me after the Jeopardy! round with Alex's arm around me -- the same photo all players get. --Bob
It's kind of weird that all Jeopardy players would get a photo of Alex and Bob. But I guess it's the thought that counts.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#65 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:22 am

TheConfessor wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Not as a champ, but it is a photo of me after the Jeopardy! round with Alex's arm around me -- the same photo all players get. --Bob
It's kind of weird that all Jeopardy players would get a photo of Alex and Bob. But I guess it's the thought that counts.
I never got a photo of either Alex or Bob.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#66 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
Did you get one of Johnny Gilbert?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#67 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:34 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote: It's kind of weird that all Jeopardy players would get a photo of Alex and Bob. But I guess it's the thought that counts.

lb13
Nope. Not even Evil Squirrel.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#68 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:37 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote: I never got a photo of either Alex or Bob.

lb13
What about Hello Squirrel?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#69 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:45 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote: Did you get one of Johnny Gilbert?

lb13
What about Hello Squirrel?

lb13
I couldn't afford the $50.00 fee. I've sent it all to rexer and the Nigerian spammers.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#70 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:58 pm

madamemeisha wrote:Oh lord, Bob J., that picture!!

And don't worry. I will definitely be hiring someone to help me because I have no idea what I'm doing. Some people keep bringing up the taxes like they're such a bad thing, almost like it's not even worth it to win. Whatever! It's still a huge amount for me!
I suggest that you educate yourself, rather than relying on a professional. A useful resource is The Motley Fool, particularly its Tax Strategies message board (where I'm an occasional contributor).

I strongly suspect that your return will not be sufficiently complex to justify using a professional. I've been paying taxes as a non-student for 15 years (including a couple of years when I had self-employment income), and I've always done my own. It's not that hard if you're not intimidated. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#71 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:01 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

That's simply incorrect. California can and does tax Jeopardy! winnings because they are won in California. --Bob

gsabc

#72 Post by gsabc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:06 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

Must be a fairly new regulation, then. The only withholding on my WoF winnings back in 1994 was CA state tax. I got some returned because of "fair market value" issues, but they hadn't even taken out federal, IIRC. Because it was earned in CA, it was taxed by CA at non-resident rates. A real PITA to file the extra set of returns, too.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Bob Juch

#73 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:20 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

That's simply incorrect. California can and does tax Jeopardy! winnings because they are won in California. --Bob
There seems to be some disagreement on that. I'm backing off my position to, "I don't know," now but you were taxed because you live in California.

I guess to tax non-residents California would have to consider your winnings as earned income, not unearned.

Has any nonresident had to pay New York taxes on WWTBAM winnings?

gsabc

#74 Post by gsabc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Has any nonresident had to pay New York taxes on WWTBAM winnings?
I suspect that MA would consider it taxable. I am willing to find out.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Bob Juch

#75 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:27 pm

gsabc wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Has any nonresident had to pay New York taxes on WWTBAM winnings?
I suspect that MA would consider it taxable. I am willing to find out.
Yes, your state will.

I hope you do get to find out.