Transcript 11/13/08 - Brian Haseltine

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/13/08 - Brian Haseltine

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:11 pm

Brian Haseltine
Clarence, NY
Insurance agent

Brian was in the audience two weeks ago and took the audition test. He thanks his buddy, John, for asking him to come at the last minute, and his wife for encouraging him to come, because it's been such a great trip, already.

Question Topics:
* Patently False
* Time Magazine
* Fictional Families
* War Heroes
* Express Yourself
* Scrabble
* Champagne Poppers
* Fictional Geography
* Party Girls
* Kid Flicks
* The Sisterhood
* Military Lingo
* Disneyland
* Biology 101
* Reality TV

$100 * Reality TV
A border collie named Leroy is a contestant on what reality TV series?

A: Survivor B: Hell's Kitchen
C: Greatest American Dog D: Trading Fleas
Answer
C: Greatest American Dog ( 6 )
$200 * Biology 101
Salivary glands are located where in the human body?

A: Feet B: Knees
C: Arms D: Mouth
Answer
D: Mouth ( 10 )
$300 * Disneyland
Fittingly, Disneyland's futuristic innoventions Dream Home is an attraction in what section of the park?

A: Tomorrowland B: Mickey's Toontown
C: Fantasyland D: Critter Country
Answer
A: Tomorrowland ( 7 )
$500 * Military Lingo
In U.S. military lingo, an "anchor-clanker" is usually a member of what branch of the armed forces?

A: Marines B: Army
C: Navy D: Air Force
Answer
C: Navy ( 9 )
$1,000 * The Sisterhood
In 2008, what U.S. senator jokingly referred to her female supporters as the "sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits"?

A: Elizabeth Dole B: Olympia Snowe
C: Barbara Boxer D: Hillary Clinton
Answer
D: Hillary Clinton ( 9 )
-- Commercial Break --

Clarence is a small town outside of Buffalo.

Brian's wife, Mary, is in the audience. When he was asked to go to a taping at the last minute, Mary told him, "You better go!"

Brian and Mary have two small boys John Paul and Michael (we see their picture), and another baby on the way. They want to have a big family.

$2,000 * Kid Flicks
As of 2008, clownfish face extinction in some parts of the world due to their rise in popularity after the release of what film?

A: Charlotte's Web B: Madagascar
C: Finding Nemo D: Ratatouille
Answer
C: Finding Nemo ( 23 )
$4,000 * Party Girls
The L.A. party scene's latest heiress-turned-celeb, Carolina Bacardi comes from a family best known for selling what liquor?

A: Gin B: Rum
C: Vodka D: Tequila

With 24 second left, Brian decides to Ask The Audience.

ATA: A: 1% B: 95% C: 4% D: 0%
Answer
B: Rum ( 21 )
$8,000 * Fictional Geography
The fantastical land of Gondor, Mordor, and the Shire feature prominently in the fiction of what author?

A: C.S. Lewis B: J.K. Rowling
C: L. Frank Baum D: J.R.R. Tolkien
Answer
D: J.R.R. Tolkien ( 19 )
-- Commercial Break --

$16,000 * Champagne Poppers
Every year on July 14th, the French celebrate the anniversary of what historic event?

A: Storming of the Bastille B: Battle of Waterloo
C: Birth of Louis XIV D: V-E Day

With 19 seconds left, Brian decides to Ask The Expert.

Meredith: Hey, Rene, how are you in history?

Rene: (Waggling her hand) Uhhhhh. We'll see!

Rene reads the question.

Rene: Brian, I'm thinking it's storming of the Bastille, as in Bastille Day, but I'm really not sure.

With 17 seconds left, Brian decides to Phone A Friend.
Brian's PAF team are Pat, Crestwood, IL; Kevin, Marquette, MI; and Thomas, Williamsville, NY.
Brian decides to call his father-in-law, Thomas.

Thomas: Bastille, 100%.

Brian: Thanks, Tom!

Thomas:All right, bye!

Answer
A: Storming of the Bastille ( 15 )
Brian will return on tomorrow's show.

gsabc

Re: Transcript 11/13/08 - Brian Haseltine

#2 Post by gsabc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:37 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Brian Haseltine
Clarence, NY
Insurance agent

Brian was in the audience two weeks ago and took the audition test. He thanks his buddy, John, for asking him to come at the last minute, and his wife for encouraging him to come, because it's been such a great trip, already.
Two weeks? Two weeks??? AND a last minute, spur of the moment audition? Add a grumble for me, Marley.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question Topics:
* Patently False
* Time Magazine
* Fictional Families
* War Heroes
* Express Yourself
* Scrabble
* Champagne Poppers
* Fictional Geography
* Party Girls
* Kid Flicks
* The Sisterhood
* Military Lingo
* Disneyland
* Biology 101
* Reality TV
This does not look like a real friendly stack for me.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Clarence is a small town outside of Buffalo.

Brian's wife, Mary, is in the audience. When he was asked to go to a taping at the last minute, Mary told him, "You better go!"

Brian and Mary have two small boys John Paul and Michael (we see their picture), and another baby on the way. They want to have a big family.
Another family hook.

For all that the topics looked bad, no problemo on the stack so far. I'm curious about "Express Yourself". FedEx/UPS question?
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:50 pm

gsabc wrote:Two weeks? Two weeks??? AND a last minute, spur of the moment audition? Add a grumble for me, Marley.
I'll add one of yours to many of my own. <grumble>®

And can we scratch Rene off the Expert list, yet? Has she ever even watched the show?

The answer might have something to with Bastille Day, but she's not sure.

How about keeping Brian on the line (and off the clock) while you think about it some more, Rene? :roll:

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Clarence, NY
Insurance agent
As explained later, Clarence is outside of Buffalo, so he is not a WE®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Brian was in the audience two weeks ago and took the audition test. He thanks his buddy, John, for asking him to come at the last minute, and his wife for encouraging him to come, because it's been such a great trip, already.
Big time <grumble>®!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:* Patently False
* Time Magazine
* Fictional Families
* War Heroes
* Express Yourself
* Scrabble
* Champagne Poppers
* Fictional Geography
* Party Girls
* Kid Flicks
* The Sisterhood
* Military Lingo
* Disneyland
* Biology 101
* Reality TV
Afrer Scrabble, it's anybody's guess.

Nihil obstat® so far, though.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:55 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
The answer might have something to with Bastille Day, but she's not sure.

How about keeping Brian on the line (and off the clock) while you think about it some more, Rene? :roll:
I am wondering if some of the so-called experts recruited from the media could even pass the qualifying test. I don't think it's unreasonable to know when and why Bastille Day occurs for anybody who has completed high school or earned a GED. (I would like to set the bar lower than that, except I know that both mediocre schools and mediocre students proliferate.)
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

slam

#6 Post by slam » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:10 am

I think Rene is incredibly irresponsible for agreeing to be on the show. She had to have some idea that she is atrocious at trivia questions of any sort. Didn't she realize that her irresponsibility would have real effects on other people?

clem21
Nose Exploder

#7 Post by clem21 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:17 am

slam wrote:I think Rene is incredibly irresponsible for agreeing to be on the show. She had to have some idea that she is atrocious at trivia questions of any sort. Didn't she realize that her irresponsibility would have real effects on other people?
I disagree with you...you can't ask people to turn the show down, they think of it as entertainment. If you're gonna blame anyone blame the show for getting uneven experts...
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

TheConfessor

#8 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:36 am

slam wrote:I think Rene is incredibly irresponsible for agreeing to be on the show. She had to have some idea that she is atrocious at trivia questions of any sort. Didn't she realize that her irresponsibility would have real effects on other people?
She was probably just doing research for her book sequel:
Good-Enough Expert: The Perfectly Imperfect Book of Experting
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Enough-Mothe ... 141693491X

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:22 am

clem21 wrote:
I disagree with you...you can't ask people to turn the show down, they think of it as entertainment. If you're gonna blame anyone blame the show for getting uneven experts...
And I do!

If TPTB insist on keeping the ATE next season and insist on recruiting a diverse list of minor celebrities to fill this role, I think they should hire Ogi to give each of them a detailed briefing. He can explain about the clock and how the Expert is the only person not limited by it, how it's important to keep talking, squeezing out every possible detail about each of the choices, soliciting the contestant's feedback (because that's still giving the contesant more time to think), and so forth. Now, if the Expert-trainee listens to that briefing and decides that's too overwhelming and the pressure would be too much, then it would be better for that person to decline the offer to appear in that role.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#10 Post by frogman042 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:55 am

Clarence, NY is where I student-taught high school Physics back in the spring of 1980 - a small town not to far from Buffalo - and unless things have changed, fairly rural.

I was wondering if any of my former students were watching - and then I realized they would be in their mid-to-late 40's which kind of wierded me out.

---Jay

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:55 am

frogman042 wrote:Clarence, NY is where I student-taught high school Physics back in the spring of 1980 - a small town not to far from Buffalo - and unless things have changed, fairly rural.

I was wondering if any of my former students were watching - and then I realized they would be in their mid-to-late 40's which kind of wierded me out.

---Jay
Brian is pretty young; he might be one of their kids! :P

(Or, from the address of his PAF team, he might be from out-of-state, so his wife might be the daughter of one of your students.)

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:57 am

Clarence, NY
Insurance agent

Swell - a reluctant contestant gets rewarded by a fast turn-around from test to Hot Seat.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200 * Biology 101
Salivary glands are located where in the human body?

A: Feet B: Knees
C: Arms D: Mouth
Answer
D: Mouth ( 10 )
Oddly at choir rehearsal Wednesday night we were told that the daughter of one of our sopranos was dealing with an infected salivary gland. I had never heard of such a thing.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Brian's wife, Mary, is in the audience. When he was asked to go to a taping at the last minute, Mary told him, "You better go!"

The two of them looked so young on the screen.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 * Fictional Geography
The fantastical land of Gondor, Mordor, and the Shire feature prominently in the fiction of what author?

A: C.S. Lewis B: J.K. Rowling
C: L. Frank Baum D: J.R.R. Tolkien
Answer
D: J.R.R. Tolkien ( 19 )
I'll take this as an indirect shoutout to me.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 * Champagne Poppers
Every year on July 14th, the French celebrate the anniversary of what historic event?

A: Storming of the Bastille B: Battle of Waterloo
C: Birth of Louis XIV D: V-E Day
A shame he had to burn two lifelines on this one. I'm still trying to figure out why they chose this particular "expert".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."