The U.S.'s top pet names (USA Weekend)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#26 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:23 pm

I had a cocker named Buddy when I was little. Then came two turtles, Simon & Garfunkle.

Then followed many cats. Smokey, Boots (he had a name already when we adopted him), Gidgie (was supposed to be Gideon, named after the cat in the rascally fox and cat duo from Pinocchio, which was the first part I ever had in a play..since the kitty was a she, "Gideon became "Gidgie"), then Virgil, the first cat I had on my own, Scooter, Sasha, Clyde (my most favorite cat ever), Skeeter, then came Jennydog, a canine addition to the feline parade, then more cats: Friskie, Friskie II (replacing the short-lived Friskie I, the only pet to meet its demise via vehicle, thus ensuring that all further kitties would be indoor dwellers by edict from my grief-stricken son) Gypsy, and the most recent addition, 2 year-old Freya, Warrior Princess. Friskie II, Gypsy, and Freya are currently alive and well. Jennydog was the last pet we lost..she passed on the same day as the anniversary of the deaths of Elvis and Babe Ruth.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#27 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:27 pm

Freya, Warrior Princess, settled into my lap just as I sent the last post. She is purring up a storm. My lap must be warm.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#28 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:49 pm

VAdame wrote:Yeah, my online translator puts it as "piedi bianchi" - but I wouldn't argue with your Nonna! Bianca Peis is a lovely name for a white-footed critter -- was she a dog or a cat?
She was one of those beautiful solid gray cats except for a white "star," more of a splotch really, on her forehead and four white feet. She was BigGrayOne's sibling.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#29 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:56 pm

silvercamaro wrote:My advice is to give animals no names. To name a critter is the first slide down a slippery slope. Once an animal knows its name, it starts to develop a strong self-identity, and it teaches itself to read and starts acquiring an education. It arranges play-dates. It wants a career, and expects you to drive it to its job. It posts on message boards and wants a blog of its own. Most of all, it kicks up a fuss when you want to borrow its laptop for a trip.

I say, address each of them as "Yo, furry thing," unless it is not furry, when "Yo, scaly thing" or "Yo, feathery thing" might be more appropriate. You'll save yourselves a lot of trouble in the long run.
You go, MissAnnie! :)

I have a friend who lets her pets name themselves, but her hubby won't follow suit. All of her cats have goddess names. Hubby adopted a cat out of the Shelter named Tangerine -- that lasted up to the first stoplight, when he re-named the cat Blaze. They have two dogs -- Shadow named herself by shadowing my friend 24/7, and hubby named the other one Kennebec without any consultation.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

a1mamacat

#30 Post by a1mamacat » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:28 pm

VAdame wrote: Cats:

Dash (Maine Coon, name short for Dumb-Ass-Sh!t-Head! sorry, Otto!)
Well this has caused quite a bit of laughter at our house today. Big J and I have been trying to outdo each other with that word in various settings.

So far, the biggest giggle came from my interpretation.

(all together now)

And he whistled and hollered and called them by name...

Now Dasher (DumbAssShitHeadEejitReindeer)
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

VAdame

#31 Post by VAdame » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:58 pm

Hee hee -- Dash was one of Megan's cats when she was a teenager - she came up with the name! Feel free to use it, I'm sure :P

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#32 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:37 am

ulysses5019 wrote:I kinda like this Ice Weasel avatar. Oh yes, there were cuter, cuddlier ones but this one seems to catch the spirit of that dynamite philosophic duo of Groening/Nietzsche.....
I had no idea Iceweasel was a browser like Firefox until you came up with that picture! It is a cute drawing, too. Cuter that that blasted cat ever was. White cats are known for being hell on wheels, and he fit the stereotype.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#33 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:06 am

Guilty on four counts....

Top dog names:
1. Max
2. Molly
3. Buddy
4. Bella
5. Lucy
6. Maggie
7. Daisy
8. Jake
9. Bailey
10. Rocky

Top cat names:
1. Max
2. Chloe
3. Lucy
4. Tigger (About 3 or 4 of them)
5. Tiger
6. Smokey
7. Oliver
8. Bella
9. Sophie
10. Princess

I can't believe Fluffy isn't on the cat list. The Fluffy we had was the longest surviving pet ever in the Beast household making it to 12 years old, and it was almost excusively an outside cat, too....

lb13

minimetoo26

#34 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:11 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Guilty on four counts....

Top dog names:
1. Max
2. Molly
3. Buddy
4. Bella
5. Lucy
6. Maggie
7. Daisy
8. Jake
9. Bailey
10. Rocky

Top cat names:
1. Max
2. Chloe
3. Lucy
5. Tiger
6. Smokey
7. Oliver
8. Bella
9. Sophie
10. Princess

I can't believe Fluffy isn't on the cat list. The Fluffy we had was the longest surviving pet ever in the Beast household making it to 12 years old, and it was almost excusively an outside cat, too....

lb13
Well, I suppose it's better to have generic names that to name the cat after oven cleaner (we named one Dowie, after Dow oven cleaner. It seemed a good idea at the time!) or not name it at all and just call it what you felt like at the time (his name changed numerous times over his 16 years of life, finally ending at Oop Ack due to his strong resemblance to Bill the Cat.)

I think I'll have to check to see if my childhood home was located over a disused toxic waste dump. We were some weird kids....

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#35 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:11 am

When did Snoopy fall out of the top ten for dogs?
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

minimetoo26

#36 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:13 am

Rexer25 wrote:When did Snoopy fall out of the top ten for dogs?
Or Fido?

Or....Rex? :P

(Couldn't resist...)

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#37 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:17 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:Guilty on four counts....

Top dog names:
1. Max
2. Molly
3. Buddy
4. Bella
5. Lucy
6. Maggie
7. Daisy
8. Jake
9. Bailey
10. Rocky

Top cat names:
1. Max
2. Chloe
3. Lucy
5. Tiger
6. Smokey
7. Oliver
8. Bella
9. Sophie
10. Princess

lb13
Well, I suppose it's better to have generic names that to name the cat after oven cleaner (we named one Dowie, after Dow oven cleaner. It seemed a good idea at the time!) or not name it at all and just call it what you felt like at the time (his name changed numerous times over his 16 years of life, finally ending at Oop Ack due to his strong resemblance to Bill the Cat.)

I think I'll have to check to see if my childhood home was located over a disused toxic waste dump. We were some weird kids....

There were plenty of insane names to go with the generic ones. Fluffy was a female, and gave us many, many more pets to name over the years. We had two Un-Yahs, a Grumpy, an Orangebeard and countless other crazy names I can't remember.

We once named a turtle I Don't Know.

Then there was a bullfrog we had named Picklejar....

The dogs all got off easy with normal dog names.... unless you consider that my namesake's real name is Dante (After the famous Colorado Rockie outfielder)....

Well, at least I know I was raised on a toxic waste dump..... :P

lb13

earendel

#38 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:22 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
Or Fido?

(Couldn't resist...)
I always wanted to name a dog "Phydeaux" (pronounced "Fido").
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#39 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:23 am

Growing up we owned a dachsund named Gretchen, and when she passed away we got a second one, named Fritz.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#40 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:26 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
Or Fido?

(Couldn't resist...)
Unfortunately, that is like the second most common name for dogs in the U.K.

Which wouldn't matter so much if my b-i-l didn't start barking at me during every phone conversation...
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Bob Juch

#41 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:50 am

In 1976 I named my dog Max. No one had ever heard of a dog named Max back then and though it was a great name. It looks like I started something. :D

VAdame

#42 Post by VAdame » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:27 am

A boy I knew in high school named his German Shepherd "Rover"!

No imagination, that one :wink:

DadofTwins

#43 Post by DadofTwins » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:31 am

0-for-the whole list. Color me weird.

Dogs: Barney, Peanut, Katy, Dusty

Cats: Gidget, Gizmo, Corky, Boots, Sandy, and the current duo Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

We also had a chameleon named Snoopy.
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?