Transcript 11/17/08 The Stubbs Family

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/17/08 The Stubbs Family

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:02 pm

Family Week

The Stubbs Family
Washington, DC

Mildred –Grandmother
Karen – Mother
Nicole – Granddaughter, fifteen years old

The Stubbs have named their team The Queen Bee and her Honeybees

Karen has been designated as the one who will answer for the team.

Topic Tree:

The Breeders
Eating out
First Known Use
Richard Belzer
Five-Oh!
Internet Hoaxes
Family Trees
Buzzwords
Classic TV
Holiday Traditions
Ben & Jerry’s
Novelty Items
Idioms
Mixed Up
Puff Daddy

$100 What piece of clothing gets its name because men historically enjoyed puffing on a pipe or cigar while wearing it?
A. Leather jacket
B. Smoking jacket
C. Bomber jacket
D. Marlborobe
Spoiler
B. Smoking jacket (6)
$200 By definition, which of these “mixes” consists of nuts, dried fruit and seeds?
A. Brownie mix
B. Lemonade mix
C. Trail mix
D. Cake mix
Spoiler
C. Trail mix (9)
$300 Which of the following is a common term that means “performing a task to the fullest extent”?
A. Whole hamster
B. Whole hummingbird
C. Whole hog
D. Whole hyena
Spoiler
C. Whole hog (7)
$500 What product’s 1972 patent describes a “foamable resinous composition” that is meant to be sprayed from an aerosol can?
A. Silly putty
B. Play-Doh
C. Koosh Ball
D. Silly String
Spoiler
D. Silly String (7)
$1K In 2008, Ben & Jerry’s launched the flavor “Goodbye Yellow Brickle Road” in honor of whom?
A. Elton John
B. Paul McCartney
C. Barry Manilow
D. Neil Diamond
Spoiler
A. Elton John (6)
commercial break

Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Alan Thicke

$2K Every year from late November to early January, the New York City Ballet performs what classic work?
A. Swan Lake
B. The Nutcracker
C. Firebird
D. Romeo & Juliet
Spoiler
B. The Nutcracker (14)
$4K Which of TV’s “Little Rascals” had a massive cowlick?
A. Spanky
B. Alfalfa
C. Buckwheat
D. Wheezer
Spoiler
B. Alfalfa (21)
$8K Which of these terms refers to the generation of Americans who range in age from late teens to late twenties?
A. Millennials
B. Centennials
C. Decennials
D. Quadrennials

ATA (12)

30% A. Millennials
16% B. Centennials
47% C. Decennials
7% D. Quadrennials

The Stubbs decide to go with the audience and make C. Decennials their final answer.
The Stubbs leave with $1K.

Spoiler
A. Millennials (5)

commercial break

Answers:
$100 B. Smoking jacket
$200 C. Trail mix
$300 C. Whole hog
$500 D. Silly String
$1K A. Elton John
$2K B. The Nutcracker
$4K B. Alfalfa
$8K A. Millenials

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

Re: Transcript 11/17/08 The Stubbs Family

#2 Post by sunflower » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:48 pm

All 3 had to pass the test, is that correct????

If they didn't know that (which they obviously didn't) the numbers weren't strong enough for me to want to ask the audience...another lifeline should have been used...

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:02 pm

sunflower wrote:All 3 had to pass the test, is that correct????

If they didn't know that (which they obviously didn't) the numbers weren't strong enough for me to want to ask the audience...another lifeline should have been used...
I believe the family had to pass a cumulative threshold, which wasn't disclosed. It most likely was lower than three times the individual threshold.

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:06 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Alan Thicke
When chatting during the introduction, Alan said something about Meredith "going easy on him". That line should have disqualified him as an "expert" right there. You're not there to be handled with kid gloves, Alan, you're there to help the contestants with whatever they ask you. And the more difficult the question, the more important your job is! :|

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by etaoin22 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:47 am

Hey,a Canadian this week!

i dont think Thicke is thick, and he has decades of experience in the entertainment industry; he seems to be around forever, but he is only 61.

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:55 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The Breeders
Eating out
First Known Use
Richard Belzer
Five-Oh!
Internet Hoaxes
Family Trees
Buzzwords
Classic TV
Holiday Traditions
Ben & Jerry’s
Novelty Items
Idioms
Mixed Up
Puff Daddy
Pretty good stack for me... though I might need help with Internet Hoaxes and Richard Belzer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Alan Thicke
And what exactly is Alan Thicke an "expert" in? TV? Canada? His son Robin's music?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K Which of these terms refers to the generation of Americans who range in age from late teens to late twenties?
A. Millennials
B. Centennials
C. Decennials
D. Quadrennials

ATA (12)

30% A. Millennials
16% B. Centennials
47% C. Decennials
7% D. Quadrennials

The Stubbs decide to go with the audience and make C. Decennials their final answer.

Spoiler
A. Millennials (5)
This was a really mean $8,000 question, in that it had that evil distractor of "decennials". The word looks like "decade", so I'm not surprised that the plurality of the audience picked that one. Being born in 1980, in the late end of that label, I knew the right answer.

Nihil obstat®

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:31 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K Which of these terms refers to the generation of Americans who range in age from late teens to late twenties?
A. Millennials
B. Centennials
C. Decennials
D. Quadrennials

ATA (12)

30% A. Millennials
16% B. Centennials
47% C. Decennials
7% D. Quadrennials

Spoiler
A. Millennials (5)
This was a really mean $8,000 question, in that it had that evil distractor of "decennials". The word looks like "decade", so I'm not surprised that the plurality of the audience picked that one. Being born in 1980, in the late end of that label, I knew the right answer.
The term has been all over the news for a while now. I agree that if you've managed to miss seeing it, decennials is a bit nasty. I was expecting choices of Gen-X, Gen-Y, Gen-whatever. No problemo to here.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:36 am

gsabc wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
A. Millennials
B. Centennials
C. Decennials
D. Quadrennials

ATA (12)

30% A. Millennials
16% B. Centennials
47% C. Decennials
7% D. Quadrennials

Spoiler
A. Millennials (5)
The term has been all over the news for a while now. I agree that if you've managed to miss seeing it, decennials is a bit nasty. I was expecting choices of Gen-X, Gen-Y, Gen-whatever. No problemo to here.
I was expecting "The Demographically Desirable". :P

So, yeah, "decennial" suggests a ten-year spread, like that given in the question, but wouldn't that apply to any ten-year spread? Millennials is the only one of the choices I've heard used as a generational name.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:49 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Family Week
Does having "special" weeks actually increase ratings? Presumably they do or else shows wouldn't keep doing them.
A. Millennials
B. Centennials
C. Decennials
D. Quadrennials

ATA (12)

30% A. Millennials
16% B. Centennials
47% C. Decennials
7% D. Quadrennials

Spoiler
A. Millennials (5)
Well that didn't take long. And they kept TDC®, meaning that there will probably be more like this. How can TPTB expect three people to discuss an answer and come up with one in the short time allotted?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:57 am

earendel wrote: Well that didn't take long. And they kept TDC®, meaning that there will probably be more like this. How can TPTB expect three people to discuss an answer and come up with one in the short time allotted?
We haven't seen any high level questions, so mostly it's been glancing to either side for confirmation of the obvious answers. When it gets difficult, we'll either seen one member of the team give an answer with enough authority to persuade the others or they'll be reaching for the lifelines. Nicole was effectively insistant on the Nutcracker question.

But TPTB don't care to hear discussion about the questions, when they have so many contestants lined up for the chit-chat!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#11 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:17 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:

I believe the family had to pass a cumulative threshold, which wasn't disclosed. It most likely was lower than three times the individual threshold.
I think that they all had to pass the test as individuals. Maddie, Jeff and Jeff's parents took the test and the grandparent who go in with Jeff and Maddie was eligible to audition as an individual.
(Her hook, I drove all the way to Las Vegas with my family to audition and they dumped me from the team.)

Maddie got a higher score on the test than the grandparents. She also got a higher score on the Movie Test than Jeff. He was called to interview but she was told that she was too young to interview for the movie edition.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#12 Post by frogman042 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:27 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

I think that they all had to pass the test as individuals. Maddie, Jeff and Jeff's parents took the test and the grandparent who go in with Jeff and Maddie was eligible to audition as an individual.
(Her hook, I drove all the way to Las Vegas with my family to audition and they dumped me from the team.)

Maddie got a higher score on the test than the grandparents. She also got a higher score on the Movie Test than Jeff. He was called to interview but she was told that she was too young to interview for the movie edition.
How did she know her score was higher? Based on reviewing their answers? I didn't think they told anyone their actual score.

---Jay