Transcript 11/18/2008 Johnson Family

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/18/2008 Johnson Family

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:44 pm

Family Week

The Johnson Family
Las Vegas, NV
Tom, ninth grader
Kim , substitute teacher (mother, main answerer)
P.D. (?) retired police officer (grandpa)

Tom and his brother both auditioned as the kid and then they played rock, paper, scissors for the spot. Tom chose rock and his brother chose scissors.

Topic tree:
The Fridge
Down Under
Bees
On the Moon
Get to work!
The Brady Bunch
In the Pantry
Outlaws
Grandparents
In the Cafeteria
It's Greek to Me
Hotlines
Titanic
Let's Play
Parrots

$100- The phrase "Polly want a cracker" is a clichéd example of the way in which some parrots are able to do what?
A. Add and subtract B. Talk
C. Read music D. Binge on saltines
Spoiler
B. Talk (7)
$200- Which of these toys was named for the type of dance that its users often appear to be performing?
A. Pogo stick B. Hula hoop
C. Hacky Sack D. Frisbee
Spoiler
B. Hula hoop (7)
$300- The 1997 movie "Titanic" features a jewel-encrusted necklace appropriately named "The Heart of the" what?
A. Ocean B. Prairie
C. Forest D. Desert
Spoiler
A. Ocean [8]
$500- Which of these federal agencies has an acid rain hotline?
A. IRS B. DEA
C. EPA D. CIA
Spoiler
C. EPA (9)
$1000- The mental condition schizophrenia derives its name from Greek words meaning what?
A. Frozen mind B. Sticky mind
C. Perfect mind D. Split mind
Spoiler
D. Split mind (6)
Meredith introduces today’s expert, Alan Thicke, the dad from the sitcom Growing Pains. Alan is also an author of two books, "How Men Have Babies: The Pregnant Father's Survival Guide" and "How To Raise Kids Who Won't Hate You." Meredith asks him how he does that, and Alan says if he really had the answer, it would be worth a million bucks.

$2000- Known for its trademark metallic foil packaging, what kids' beverage maintains the Web site RespectThePouch.com?
A. Sunny Delight B. Kool-Aid
C. Hawaiian Punch D. Capri Sun
Spoiler
D. Capri Sun (21)
Commercial Break

Grandpa would wake everyone up each day with a song "Schoolbells are ringing" that would annoy the kids and get them up out of bed in order to stop the singing. Mom continued it with the son.

$4000- Actress Mariel Hemingway is the granddaughter of a person who received what honor in 1954?
A. Olympic gold medal B. Academy Award for Best Actor
C. Nobel Prize in literature D. Miss America
Spoiler
C. Nobel Prize in literature (19)
$8000- The famous train robber Butch Cassidy headed up a loosely organized group of outlaws known as what?
A. The Motley Crew B. The Ragtag Pack
C. The Rough Gang D. The Wild Bunch

ATA called at :21
Spoiler
Result A-7% B-9% C-16% D-68%

D. The Wild Bunch (15)

$16K- Fleur de sel is an expensive type of what?
A. Salt B. Chocolate
C. Vinegar D. Butter

PAF called at :18
Expert called at :15
Choices Kim's sister Kathy, Kim's husband Dennis, and John (no relation mentioned), all from Las Vegas, NV
Spoiler
Kathy was called. Kim carefully spelled it out & read it but Kathy said "you know what? I couldn't hear you. F-U-R?" Kim repeated it and then read the choices as time ran out.

They went to the expert.

Alan is shown the question and says "The word is a French expression and sel means salt in French so unless it is a trick question 'Flower of Salt' I'd be inclined to say salt and that is based on my intimate knowledge of the French language."

A. Salt (:13)
Commercial break

Next topic is The Brady Bunch, and Kim said she loves the Brady Bunch and Meredith is hopeful she would know it.

$25K- On a classic episode of "The Brady Bunch," the kids enter a variety show contest as a singing group named what?
A. The Triple Scoops B. The Silver Platters
C. The Hollywood Bowls D. The Golden Spoons

Double Dip called at :19
Spoiler
Kim thinks it is Silver Platters "but I need to be sure so Double-Dip"
First answer Silver Platters is correct (:19)
The Johnsons will return tomorrow.

slam

Re: Transcript 11/18/2008 Johnson Family

#2 Post by slam » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:22 pm

I found it interesting that Alan Thicke answered essentially as I would have. From my years taking French in high school, I knew what fleur de sel translated directly as. But in the back of my mind, there was this nagging feeling that it wasn't meant to be translated literally and could be a trick question. If I were in the Hot Seat, though, I would have gone with that same answer because of the level of the clue. If the same clue came up for $100,000, for example, I'm not sure what I would have done.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by ontellen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:34 pm

In Canada, all our food supplies have both French and English on the packages. I knew Alan Thicke would know this being a Canadian. You just absorb it through osmosis.

Weyoun

#4 Post by Weyoun » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 am

Ah, a Brady question that I knew the answer to.

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:24 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The Fridge
Down Under
Bees
On the Moon
Get to work!
The Brady Bunch
In the Pantry
Outlaws
Grandparents
In the Cafeteria
It's Greek to Me
Hotlines
Titanic
Let's Play
Parrots
The $25,000 Brady Bunch question scares me. I've seen only a handful of episodes of that show, and that was at least 15 years ago.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K- Fleur de sel is an expensive type of what?
A. Salt B. Chocolate
C. Vinegar D. Butter

Choices Kim's sister Kathy, Kim's husband Dennis, and John (no relation mentioned), all from Las Vegas, NV
Spoiler
Kathy was called. Kim carefully spelled it out & read it but Kathy said "you know what? I couldn't hear you. F-U-R?" Kim repeated it and then read the choices as time ran out.

They went to the expert.

Alan is shown the question and says "The word is a French expression and sel means salt in French so unless it is a trick question 'Flower of Salt' I'd be inclined to say salt and that is based on my intimate knowledge of the French language."

You know what, Kathy? Turn up your damn hearing aid! "F-U-R"? No... F-U. Another PAF lifeline gets pissed away.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K- On a classic episode of "The Brady Bunch," the kids enter a variety show contest as a singing group named what?
Remember when I said that I've seen only a handful of episodes 15+ years ago? Well, this was one of those episodes. I knew the answer immediately. Wasn't this also the episode where Peter's voice cracked? Or was that another episode where the kids sang?

Nihil obstat®

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:54 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Family Week

The Johnson Family
Las Vegas, NV
Tom, ninth grader
Kim , substitute teacher (mother, main answerer)
P.D. (?) retired police officer (grandpa)
I think it was T. D.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Tom and his brother both auditioned as the kid and then they played rock, paper, scissors for the spot. Tom chose rock and his brother chose scissors.
They should have played "rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- The famous train robber Butch Cassidy headed up a loosely organized group of outlaws known as what?
A. The Motley Crew B. The Ragtag Pack
C. The Rough Gang D. The Wild Bunch

ATA called at :21
Spoiler
Result A-7% B-9% C-16% D-68%

D. The Wild Bunch (15)
For some reason my first thought was "Hole in the Wall Gang". Since that wasn't an answer, it's time to PAF just as the family did.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K- Fleur de sel is an expensive type of what?
A. Salt B. Chocolate
C. Vinegar D. Butter

Spoiler

They went to the expert.

Knowing that "sel" is the French word for "salt" makes this a pretty easy question. Googling reveals that it is a hand-harvested sea salt that is finely ground and evidently used in caramels and chocolates. It's a shame the family had to use two lifelines on this question - from the way the mom presented the question (spelling "fleur de sel" carefully) I suspect the PAF may have been on a speakerphone at a computer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K- On a classic episode of "The Brady Bunch," the kids enter a variety show contest as a singing group named what?

Double Dip called at :19
Spoiler
Kim thinks it is Silver Platters "but I need to be sure so Double-Dip"
First answer Silver Platters is correct (:19)
No idea. This might be the time to consult the expert, and hope for the best. I'd have the PAF ready just in case.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:03 am

Weyoun wrote:Ah, a Brady question that I knew the answer to.
made me giggle

sorry

slam

#8 Post by slam » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:58 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Remember when I said that I've seen only a handful of episodes 15+ years ago? Well, this was one of those episodes. I knew the answer immediately. Wasn't this also the episode where Peter's voice cracked? Or was that another episode where the kids sang?

Nihil obstat®
Actually, it wasn't. Though it's very easy to see how you would confuse those episodes. The episode where the kids performed as The Silver Platters had them singing the songs "It's a Sunshine Day" and "Keep On" trying to win in a talent contest in order to pay for the engraving on a silver platter they bought for their parents. In the other episode that you're thinking of, they sing as The Brady Six the song "We Can Make the World a Whole Lot Brighter" while practicing for a contest. After Peter's voice begins to change, Greg writes a new song, "Time to Change" which incorporates Peter's cracking voice.

rgcviper

Reply to: Johnson Family transcript

#9 Post by rgcviper » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:07 am

$300- The 1997 movie "Titanic" features a jewel-encrusted necklace appropriately named "The Heart of the" what?
A. Ocean B. Prairie
C. Forest D. Desert

If my memory is correct, this question (with different choices) appeared on the show in the early days of primetime. As I recall, the contestant narrowed it down to "Heart of the Ocean" and "Heart of the Sea" with the 50:50 before answering. So now the show is repeating questions from years ago? Lovely.

Snaxx

Re: Reply to: Johnson Family transcript

#10 Post by Snaxx » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:10 pm

rgcviper wrote:$300- The 1997 movie "Titanic" features a jewel-encrusted necklace appropriately named "The Heart of the" what?
A. Ocean B. Prairie
C. Forest D. Desert

If my memory is correct, this question (with different choices) appeared on the show in the early days of primetime. As I recall, the contestant narrowed it down to "Heart of the Ocean" and "Heart of the Sea" with the 50:50 before answering. So now the show is repeating questions from years ago? Lovely.
This was right on the nose, though contestant used ATA. Eventually WWTBAM was going to run out of ideas or forget stuff they asked already.
a transcriber from the past wrote:WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Sunday, November 7, 1999
Episode 1999-14

After the break, we go to the round we call FASTEST FINGER FIRST:

Place the following European cities in order, west to east:

A. Prague
B. London
C. Kiev
D. Lisbon

Correct answer:
D-B-A-C

Winner: John Cuthbertson of San Diego, California.

Let's start the climb again:

Now again, the second milestone, the tenth question for $32,000:

What is the name of the piece of jewelry being saught in the 1997 film "Titanic"?
A. Heart of the Ocean
B. Blue Phoenix
C. Azure Star
D. Heart of the Sea

He asks the audience and gets:
49-13-13-25 (for A - Heart of the Ocean)...

He goes with the Audience, A...

For his Final Answer....

.... AND THE AUDIENCE HELPS HIM WIN $32,000!