Jayhawks beware!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Jeemie

Jayhawks beware!

#1 Post by Jeemie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:35 am

Jayhawks will be ranked #2 when the next BCS poll comes out (if it hasn't already).

#2's aren't faring all that well this year!

Actually, top five teams aren't faring that well this year- Oklahoma's loss last night was the 11th time this year a top five team has fallen to an unranked opponent.

BCS is WIDE open this year!
1979 City of Champions 2009

jayhawker536

#2 Post by jayhawker536 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:44 am

Next Saturday night will be the most exciting Saturday night that this old jayhawker has seen in many a year :lol: Rock Chalk Jayhawk

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:16 am

Kansas #2 vs. Missouri #4. The local television PTB might even consider this game important enough to carry on the New England stations. More likely they'll show MIT vs. Babson or something similar.

What is the latest in the regular season that two such highly ranked teams have met? Has there been a #1 vs. #2 this late, other than a bowl game? I figure someone here has that statistic available.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:18 am

gsabc wrote:Kansas #2 vs. Missouri #4. The local television PTB might even consider this game important enough to carry on the New England stations. More likely they'll show MIT vs. Babson or something similar.

What is the latest in the regular season that two such highly ranked teams have met? Has there been a #1 vs. #2 this late, other than a bowl game? I figure someone here has that statistic available.
I'm sure that appa23 will be around shortly to remind us of the Oklahoma-Nebraska game on Thanksgiving weekend when the two were ranked #1 and #2 in what some called "the game of the century".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:31 am

I should just go to Wikipedia right away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_th ... 31_vs_.232

I still want to be able to watch it. College football with national ranking importance and personal involvement is new to me. A bowl of popcorn, a pitcher of margaritas, football on the TV, and GW next to me and rooting for her alma mater - all in all, the prospects of a very nice Saturday evening.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

fuzzywuzzy

#6 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:11 am

jayhawker536 wrote:Next Saturday night will be the most exciting Saturday night that this old jayhawker has seen in many a year :lol: Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Anita, I have been thinking of you each and every game that your beloved Jayhawks have won this year. They are the real deal! :D

Going to watch the Border war on tv here in KC. Was going to go, but, in-laws are visiting.

It is going to be a great game!

I predict...

Jayhawks all the way!

Good luck!

Go Jayhawks!

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:59 am

earendel wrote:
gsabc wrote:Kansas #2 vs. Missouri #4. The local television PTB might even consider this game important enough to carry on the New England stations. More likely they'll show MIT vs. Babson or something similar.

I'm sure that appa23 will be around shortly to remind us of the Oklahoma-Nebraska game on Thanksgiving weekend when the two were ranked #1 and #2 in what some called "the game of the century".
LOL. I was going to say that Nebraska-Oklahoma probably played 5 games on Thanksgiving or the day after Thanksgiving where both were ranked in top four, with one team being #1.

Yes, Norman, Oklahoma, on Thanksgiving 1971 was "THE Game of the Century." I was 2 years old, but I have seen it about 100 times on replays. Plus, I happen to be friends with the winning quarterback from the day. :D

I also was going to point out that Ohio State and Michigan met as #1 and #2 in the last regular season game last year (albeit one week earlier than the KU-MU game this year).

Oh, if you want to talk about Big 8 domination in 1971, Colorado finished 3rd that year. I doubt that one will ever see that occur again. (One conference having the top three teams).

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:03 am

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
jayhawker536 wrote:Next Saturday night will be the most exciting Saturday night that this old jayhawker has seen in many a year :lol: Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Anita, I have been thinking of you each and every game that your beloved Jayhawks have won this year. They are the real deal! :D

Going to watch the Border war on tv here in KC. Was going to go, but, in-laws are visiting.

It is going to be a great game!

I predict...

Jayhawks all the way!

Good luck!

Go Jayhawks!

fuzzy 8)
I will be at Arrowhead starting that morning for ESPN's College Gameday, along with my wife's cousins, who are KU alums and students, as well as probably my brother and his wife, who has tickets.

BTW, I am laughing at the Misosuri student t-shirts for this game.

They picture the seige of Lawrence during the Civil War by Quantrill's Raiders. Underneath, it simply says "Scoreboard."

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:29 am

Appa23 wrote:LOL. I was going to say that Nebraska-Oklahoma probably played 5 games on Thanksgiving or the day after Thanksgiving where both were ranked in top four, with one team being #1.
Missed it by that much.

Other than 1971, OU and NU met three more times as top four teams.

1978 #4 NU beats #1 OU

1984 #4 OU beats #1 NU

1987 #2 OU beats #1 NU

DadofTwins

#10 Post by DadofTwins » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:19 am

gsabc wrote:What is the latest in the regular season that two such highly ranked teams have met? Has there been a #1 vs. #2 this late, other than a bowl game? I figure someone here has that statistic available.
By calendar, the latest regular season 1-v-2 I know of is Florida-Florida State 1996, the Saturday of Thanksgiving week. FSU won 24-17, but Florida took the 1-v-2 rematch 52-20 in the Sugar Bowl.
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?