Who Wants to Be A Millionaire - Night 14

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Shade

#101 Post by Shade » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:45 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
Shade wrote:You are correct, A is right

In the 1988 Academy Award-winning comedy film "A Fish Called Wanda" Otto West, played by Kevin Kline, repeatably insists that people not call him what?
A. Idiot
B. Stupid
C. Asshole
D. Retarded
Like they'd ever give me THIS for half a mill.

Wanda: To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people. I've known sheep who could outwit you. I've worn dresses with higher IQs, but you think you're an intellectual, don't you, ape?
Otto: Apes don't read philosophy.
Wanda: Yes they do, Otto, they just don't understand it.

That first line is one of my all-time faves.....
I wouldn't say that was an easy question. First, you would of had to see the movie, second you might of seen it along time ago (1988), third you would of had to remember that he hated being called Stupid and not anything else.
earendel wrote:
jsuchard wrote:
Shade wrote:250,000
What is Alphonse Bertillon most known for inventing?
A. Dactyloscopy
B. Anthropometry
C. Genetic fingerprinting
D. Comparison Microscope
Holy moly! I shouldn't have ribbed you about the early easy questions.

All of these answers seem to relate somehow to fingerprints. "Dactyl" means finger, so dactyloscopy would be looking at fingers; but it seems like a made-up distractor name. Anthropometry is the measurement of people, which was popular near the turn of the 20th century (as this guy's name suggests), but it is a pretty broad term. Not something specific like "phrenology". Genetic fingerprinting is self-evident, but I would probably recognize the name if it had been that recent. Comparison micropscope sounds like something you could use to compare a fingerprint to a known fingerprint.

Too little to go on here...

Switch the Question, please.
FWIW, Bertillion created a system eponymously known as "bertillonage". He believed it was possible to identify people based on measuring various characteristics such as the length of their arms, cranial size, etc. He used it mainly for identifying previously arrested criminals - the measurements were written on cards in a code, and when someone was arrested, their measurements were taken and checked against the cards on file. The system was later discredited and supplanted by the use of fingerprint identification. Bertillon is mentioned in one of the Sherlock Holmes stories (I can't remember which one).
It's also called Anthropometry, I believe. I both learned about it in Forensics class and looked it up online.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#102 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:12 am

Shade wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:
Shade wrote:You are correct, A is right

In the 1988 Academy Award-winning comedy film "A Fish Called Wanda" Otto West, played by Kevin Kline, repeatably insists that people not call him what?
A. Idiot
B. Stupid
C. Asshole
D. Retarded
Like they'd ever give me THIS for half a mill.

Wanda: To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people. I've known sheep who could outwit you. I've worn dresses with higher IQs, but you think you're an intellectual, don't you, ape?
Otto: Apes don't read philosophy.
Wanda: Yes they do, Otto, they just don't understand it.

That first line is one of my all-time faves.....
I wouldn't say that was an easy question. First, you would of had to see the movie, second you might of seen it along time ago (1988), third you would of had to remember that he hated being called Stupid and not anything else.
I meant it would have been easy for ME. That's the kind of thing you would want happening to you if you ever make it into the hot seat.

viewtopic.php?t=606

It's one of my all-time favorites, as I mentioned.

earendel

#103 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:17 am

Shade wrote:It's also called Anthropometry, I believe. I both learned about it in Forensics class and looked it up online.
In France it was bertillonage, which is how I knew it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

christie1111
11:11

#104 Post by christie1111 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:23 pm

earendel wrote:
jsuchard wrote:
Shade wrote:250,000
What is Alphonse Bertillon most known for inventing?
A. Dactyloscopy
B. Anthropometry
C. Genetic fingerprinting
D. Comparison Microscope
Holy moly! I shouldn't have ribbed you about the early easy questions.

All of these answers seem to relate somehow to fingerprints. "Dactyl" means finger, so dactyloscopy would be looking at fingers; but it seems like a made-up distractor name. Anthropometry is the measurement of people, which was popular near the turn of the 20th century (as this guy's name suggests), but it is a pretty broad term. Not something specific like "phrenology". Genetic fingerprinting is self-evident, but I would probably recognize the name if it had been that recent. Comparison micropscope sounds like something you could use to compare a fingerprint to a known fingerprint.

Too little to go on here...

Switch the Question, please.
FWIW, Bertillion created a system eponymously known as "bertillonage". He believed it was possible to identify people based on measuring various characteristics such as the length of their arms, cranial size, etc. He used it mainly for identifying previously arrested criminals - the measurements were written on cards in a code, and when someone was arrested, their measurements were taken and checked against the cards on file. The system was later discredited and supplanted by the use of fingerprint identification. Bertillon is mentioned in one of the Sherlock Holmes stories (I can't remember which one).
Also mentioned in the book I am reading about Jack the Ripper.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Shade

#105 Post by Shade » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Hmm...everyone's a critic, I'd bet the WWTBAM staff have to deal with letters from all of you people complaining about the wording of questions Ad Nauseum. :D :wink:

PS: Just submitted my application to Million Dollar Password. :)

earendel

#106 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:54 am

Shade wrote:Hmm...everyone's a critic, I'd bet the WWTBAM staff have to deal with letters from all of you people complaining about the wording of questions Ad Nauseum. :D :wink:

PS: Just submitted my application to Million Dollar Password. :)
No criticism intended, Shade. The question was a good one, because the discipline is also known (and perhaps more widely known) as anthropometry. That's how it was known in the US, at least.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."