Who Wants to Be A Millionaire - Night 14

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Shade

#76 Post by Shade » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:55 pm

Here's your 25,000 dollar check, just kidding. You're right for 100,000 dollars

What is Alphonse Bertillon most known for inventing?
A. Dactyloscopy
B. Anthropometry
C. Genetic fingerprinting
D. Comparison Microscope

(Still have STQ)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#77 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:57 pm

kayrharris wrote:He sorts it too? I'm impressed. My kids would fold the clothes but leave them all stacked together in the laundry basket for me to sort out to the rightful owner.
We have a long waist-height linen cabinet outside the laundry room upstairs that is really nice for folding laundry. I usually sort as I fold.

When we moved into the house, the cabinet was a beautiful piece of maple. Since it's outside the girls' bathroom, wet towels have been thrown on it and the wood doesn't look so great. One of these years, I want to put marble or some stone on top.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#78 Post by kayrharris » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:01 pm

I sort as I fold as well. Granite would be a nice top on your cabinet. I would love to redesign my laundry room some day, but it'll prolly never happen. I have cabinets in the laundry room but no place to stack folded laundry. I usually fold it in the den while I'm watching TV.

Shade

#79 Post by Shade » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:02 pm

Sorry, I'll be back in 15 minutes. I'm at work and work is over. When I get home in 15 minutes I'll continue

jsuchard

#80 Post by jsuchard » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:03 pm

Shade wrote:250,000
A. Dactyloscopy
B. Anthropometry
D. Comparison Microscope
Holy moly! I shouldn't have ribbed you about the early easy questions.

All of these answers seem to relate somehow to fingerprints. "Dactyl" means finger, so dactyloscopy would be looking at fingers; but it seems like a made-up distractor name. Anthropometry is the measurement of people, which was popular near the turn of the 20th century (as this guy's name suggests), but it is a pretty broad term. Not something specific like "phrenology". Genetic fingerprinting is self-evident, but I would probably recognize the name if it had been that recent. Comparison micropscope sounds like something you could use to compare a fingerprint to a known fingerprint.

Too little to go on here...

Switch the Question, please.
* Either Arglebargle IV or someone else.

NellyLunatic1980

#81 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:04 pm

Shade wrote:100,000
Which of the following states does not currently have a major league sports team?
A. Connecticut
B. Arizona
C. Utah
D. Tennesse
I'm not sure if your definition of "major league sports" includes the WNBA, but there is a WNBA team called the Connecticut Sun. So technically, none of those four choices was correct.
Last edited by NellyLunatic1980 on Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#82 Post by kayrharris » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:04 pm

We all have time to go fold the laundry before you get to see your new question.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#83 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:05 pm

kayrharris wrote:I sort as I fold as well. Granite would be a nice top on your cabinet. I would love to redesign my laundry room some day, but it'll prolly never happen. I have cabinets in the laundry room but no place to stack folded laundry. I usually fold it in the den while I'm watching TV.
I hope that you will get to redesign your laundry room someday :)

Shade

#84 Post by Shade » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Regarding the 100,000, all except Connecticut has some kind of Major League Sports team. The Question was fine, according to the sources It isn't consider Major league

STQ
"God helps those who help themselves" is accredited to whom?
A. Algernon Sydney
B. Jesus
C. King Solomon
D. Thomas Kelsey

No life lines left

EDIT: PS, the answer to the last one was B.
Last edited by Shade on Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsuchard

#85 Post by jsuchard » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:26 pm

Shade wrote:STQ
"God helps those who help themselves" is accredited to whom?
A. Algernon Sydney
B. Jesus
C. King Solomon
D. Thomas Kelsey
If either B or C was correct, the quote would likely appear in the Bible; but it sounds anachronistic either way. Would Solomon refer to God as "God", and not as Yahweh or Jehovah? If Jesus said it, it sounds like something from the Sermon on the Mount, and I don't recall this quote from there (although my Bible knowledge is meager, at best).

There's no real money on the line, so...

I will go with A. Algernon Sydney [because his name is "cooler" than Thomas Kelsey], Final Answer.

Shade

#86 Post by Shade » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:28 pm

You are correct, A is right

In the 1988 Academy Award-winning comedy film "A Fish Called Wanda" Otto West, played by Kevin Kline, repeatably insists that people not call him what?
A. Idiot
B. Stupid
C. Asshole
D. Retarded

jsuchard

#87 Post by jsuchard » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:32 pm

Shade wrote:500,000
In the 1988 Academy Award-winning comedy film "A Fish Called Wanda" Otto West, played by Kevin Kline, repeatably insists that people not call him what?
A. Idiot
B. Stupid
C. Asshole
D. Retarded
I think he said not to call him
B. Stupid, Final Answer

Shade

#88 Post by Shade » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:33 pm

:shock: You're right for 500,000 and you get to be in the hall of fame if you leave with 500,000 or 1 Million

1 Million
Which of the following nations did not participate in the 7 years war?
A. Electorate of Hesse-Kassel
B. Philippines
C. Ottoman Empire
D. Kingdom of Sardinia

Shade

#89 Post by Shade » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:39 pm

I got to go now, I hope you get it right. From New York everybody bye, bye.

I'll check in later. to add you to the Hall of fame and a 1 M/500,000 or give your a 25,000 virtual check.

jsuchard

#90 Post by jsuchard » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:45 pm

Shade wrote:1 Million
Which of the following nations did not participate in the 7 years war?
A. Electorate of Hesse-Kassel
B. Philippines
C. Ottoman Empire
D. Kingdom of Sardinia
I have to presume that this is not a trick question. The "Phillipines" seems like the correct answer, because it certainly wasn't an independent nation at the time (late 1700s). On the other hand, the 7 Years' War was certainly the first worldwide war, and it would not be inconceivable that Spain and its holdings would be involved.

In North America, we call it the French and Indian War, although that was only one theater of action. But this tells me that the nations of Western Europe (such as England and France) were involved.

Hesse-Kassel must be some province in Germany, which could easily have been involved.

While I certainly wouldn't classify Sardinia as Western European, it is much closer than the Ottoman Empire.

And I think the Ottoman Empire might be a rather recent (relatively) political body. It certainly lasted until the early 20th century, but I don't think it was around in that form in the 18th century.

[gulp]

C. Ottoman Empire, Final Answer.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#91 Post by kayrharris » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:02 pm

Is this like being a carry over contestant but already saying "final answer"?

It looks like you're right, in my opinion. Nice game, Jeff.

tanstaafl2

#92 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:10 pm

Seems a bit odd to leave you hanging on the final question! Perhaps the host could have PM'd an audience member with the correct choice.

Although your reasoning on the Philippines would seem to make this a fairly simple question, despite the inclusion of the historically somewhat obscure Electorate of Hesse-Kassel which still seems more likely to have been involved given it was most likely one of the many principalities of the future German state unless it was made up altogether, since the Philippines did not gain any significant autonomy in the form of self rule until the 1930's and did not become independent until after WWII.

However, certain sources suggest otherwise. Perhaps the phrasing of the question would have been better not using the term "nations"...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Shade

#93 Post by Shade » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:34 pm

You are correct for 1 Million dollar, congratulations :)

Hall of Fame
-jsuchard (Million dollar winner)
-Takinover (Million dollar winner)
-KillerTomato (Million dollar winner)
-tlynn78 (Million dollar winner)
-NellyLunatic1980 (500,000 dollar winner)
-Slam (Million dollar winner)
-TheCalvinator24 (Million dollar winner)

I just can't believe you won, I mean for some odd reason 80% of the time people win a Million on my game when only 2 people out of 2000 (or something) have won a Million on Meredith Millionaire.

Congratulations.

Shade

#94 Post by Shade » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:37 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:Seems a bit odd to leave you hanging on the final question! Perhaps the host could have PM'd an audience member with the correct choice.

Although your reasoning on the Philippines would seem to make this a fairly simple question, despite the inclusion of the historically somewhat obscure Electorate of Hesse-Kassel which still seems more likely to have been involved given it was most likely one of the many principalities of the future German state unless it was made up altogether, since the Philippines did not gain any significant autonomy in the form of self rule until the 1930's and did not become independent until after WWII.

However, certain sources suggest otherwise. Perhaps the phrasing of the question would have been better not using the term "nations"...
I'm sorry about that, I just really had to leave and I didn't think to do that. I'm sure after he answered he goggled it to confirm the answer. I have the most difficulty writing 1 Million dollar questions. I think the best one I ever wrote was the DNA question where the answer was Linus Pauling

tanstaafl2

#95 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Shade wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:Seems a bit odd to leave you hanging on the final question! Perhaps the host could have PM'd an audience member with the correct choice.

I'm sorry about that, I just really had to leave and I didn't think to do that. I'm sure after he answered he goggled it to confirm the answer. I have the most difficulty writing 1 Million dollar questions. I think the best one I ever wrote was the DNA question where the answer was Linus Pauling
Not a problem. Perhaps something to think about for a future game if the situation arises again.

I think the question was a good one just perhaps the way it was phrased was a potential problem. Three of the answers were independent nation states at the time in question but the Philippines was not. And conversly the Philippines is the only one that is a present day nation. A bit misleading since it is not the correct answer to the question. Probably would help to just clarify what you meant by nation in the context of this question.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Shade

#96 Post by Shade » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:12 pm

I'll keep that in mind. I had a little trouble getting a contestant this time. Do you think I should try to make a new?

jsuchard

#97 Post by jsuchard » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:40 pm

I did Google the answer after Shade posted about the delay.

But I got it right for the wrong reasons. Turns out that the Ottoman Empire is much, much older than I was giving it credit for.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#98 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:42 pm

Congratulations Jeff.

Remember, California is a community property state :)

earendel

#99 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:20 am

jsuchard wrote:
Shade wrote:250,000
A. Dactyloscopy
B. Anthropometry
D. Comparison Microscope
Holy moly! I shouldn't have ribbed you about the early easy questions.

All of these answers seem to relate somehow to fingerprints. "Dactyl" means finger, so dactyloscopy would be looking at fingers; but it seems like a made-up distractor name. Anthropometry is the measurement of people, which was popular near the turn of the 20th century (as this guy's name suggests), but it is a pretty broad term. Not something specific like "phrenology". Genetic fingerprinting is self-evident, but I would probably recognize the name if it had been that recent. Comparison micropscope sounds like something you could use to compare a fingerprint to a known fingerprint.

Too little to go on here...

Switch the Question, please.
FWIW, Bertillion created a system eponymously known as "bertillonage". He believed it was possible to identify people based on measuring various characteristics such as the length of their arms, cranial size, etc. He used it mainly for identifying previously arrested criminals - the measurements were written on cards in a code, and when someone was arrested, their measurements were taken and checked against the cards on file. The system was later discredited and supplanted by the use of fingerprint identification. Bertillon is mentioned in one of the Sherlock Holmes stories (I can't remember which one).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#100 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:37 am

Shade wrote:You are correct, A is right

A. Idiot
B. Stupid
C. Asshole
D. Retarded
Like they'd ever give me THIS for half a mill.

Wanda: To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people. I've known sheep who could outwit you. I've worn dresses with higher IQs, but you think you're an intellectual, don't you, ape?
Otto: Apes don't read philosophy.
Wanda: Yes they do, Otto, they just don't understand it.

That first line is one of my all-time faves.....