Transcript 11/21/2008 - Lawler family (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/21/2008 - Lawler family (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Lawler family
South Brunswick, NJ

Topic tree:
- Hello Dolly!
- Dining Out
- The Old Country
- I've Got the Blues
- Consumer Warnings
- Girl Scouts
- The Family Business
- Sarah Palin
- From the French
- Into the Wild
- In the News
- The Melting Pot
- Natural Wonders
- Freshening Up
- Big Money

It's the final day of Family Week. Grandpa Jim, mom Tracy and son Connor want to put together enough money to have a nice vacation and Connor wants to find a woman. He hopes his TV appearence will help. Meredith says there's more to him than just money. They work with animal shelters; Connor walks dogs. Barbara, Kathy, Jim and Devin are in the audience.

Ken Jennings is back as the expert. Jim says that Ken is his idol; he knows more arcane trivia than anyone. It's like having a stealth bomber on the runway.

$8K - According to a well-publicized joke told by Sarah Palin in 2008, what is the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull?
A - nail polish
B - mascara
C - lipstick
D - eye shadow

Jim says he's 100% sure it's lipstick.
Spoiler
C - lipstick (20)
$16K - Spanning three generations, Harry Caray, Skip Caray and Chip Caray all gained fame from doing what?
A - coaching in the NFL
B - announcing baseball games
C - serving in Congress
D - writing children's books

Tracy asks Jim and he again says he's 100% sure of the answer. It's announcing baseball games.
Spoiler
B - announcing baseball games (14)
$25K - In the U.S., "entry level" Girl Scouts are called what?
A - Daisies
B - Tulips
C - Carnations
D - Lilies

Tracy wasn't a Girl Scout but her daughter was one for a short time so she knows the answer.
Spoiler
A - daisies (19)
commercial break

Meredith asks Devin if she knew the answer, and of course she did. Meredith asks Devin how she thinks her brother is doing; she thinks he's doing great. Meredith then asks Connor if he has a cell phone and advises that he check his messages because he may have some calls.

$50K - Where would you likely find the warning "Containing phenylalanine"?
A - can of diet soda
B - bag of kitty litter
C - bottle of wine
D - box of rat poison

Tracy is relatively sure it's a can of diet soda and asks if the other two want to use a lifeline. They decide to ask the audience with 9 seconds left.

ATA results:
A - 67%
B - 8%
C - 6%
D - 19%

Tracy makes that her family's final answer.
Spoiler
A - can of diet soda (7)
$100K - A shade of pale grayish-blue, Alice blue is named after the daughter of what U.S. president?
A - Andrew Jackson
B - Ulysses S. Grant
C - Theodore Roosevelt
D - Woodrow Wilson

Jim says it's Roosevelt but Tracy wants to know if he's sure enough to make that a final answer without using a lifeline.
Spoiler
C - Theodore Roosevelt (17)
commercial break

The phone lines are flooded with calls from young women wanting to speak with Connor. Meredith asks what Connor's "cut" will be. He said they haven't discussed it but he'd like $1000. Tracy's husband Jim, in the audience, wants to see "green".

Meredith brings Ken Jennings in and tells him the Lawler family is going for $250K and asks what kind of pressure that puts on him. He said it puts a lot of pressure on him and he'll do his best. If he doesn't know the answer he'll say so. Meredith says she knows Ken won't mislead the family.

$250K - Which of these common foods was unknown in Europe prior to the discovery of the New World?
A - sugar
B - wheat
C - lemons
D - potatoes

Tracy says surely it couldn't be potatoes but she's unsure. She consults Jim (but not Connor) about using a lifeline and they decide to ask the expert with 21 seconds left. Ken gets the question and says he thinks he might know it. He's pretty sure that potatoes are a New World plant even though they're associated with Ireland. There are some other tempting answers but he feels pretty good. Tracy asks how sure he is percentage-wise; he says between 90% and 95%.
Spoiler
D - potatoes (18)
commercial break

During the break Jim said that Meredith looked emotional. She said she was; all kidding aside this is a nice family. Meredith asks what they're feeling. Tracy can't believe they are where they are. It's amazing. Jim said they've been playing the game for practice and they've never done this well. As for Connor, he's really surprised. He told mom and grandpa that they aren't going to blow it now. Husband Jim is really proud of the family.

Meredith reminds them that the family's unused time has been banked for the $1M question; they currently have 2 minutes 34 seconds.

$500K - Which of these countries is not home to a Hard Rock Cafe?
A - Kuwait
B - Bahrain
C - Lebanon
D - Syria

They have no idea so with 34 seconds left they decide to phone a friend. Their PAF list consists of George, an attorney from Basking Ridge, NJ; Wayne, a psychologist from North Caldwell, NJ; and Robert from Croton on Hudson, NY. They opt to choose Wayne. After reading the question Wayne says he's 40% sure it's Syria. That's not good enough and they don't want to risk falling back by using the Double Dip, so they walk away with $250K. It turns out that Wayne was right.
Spoiler
D - Syria (20)
THE HORN!!!!!!

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: Transcript 11/21/2008 - Lawler family (carryover)

#2 Post by etaoin22 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:26 am

My feeling, more likely than not, even not knowing the repartee, is that Connor would be 15-16 or younger.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7753&p=81985&hilit=connor#p81985

And my other feeling is that the top of the stack question is of origin Ovine and not Levi-ne

TheConfessor

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:00 am

etaoin22 wrote:And my other feeling is that the top of the stack question is of origin Ovine and not Levi-ne
Yes, I'm guessing that the answer was Scotland, assuming that the 15th question was as easy as the previous 14.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:06 am

etaoin22 wrote:My feeling, more likely than not, even not knowing the repartee, is that Connor would be 15-16 or younger.

And my other feeling is that the top of the stack question is of origin Ovine and not Levi-ne
You are correct. Connor was 12 and adorable.

I agree, too, on the Dolly question. I think they would have asked "In what country was Dolly the Sheep cloned." (My brain, however flawed, tells me it was Scotland. Now I will have to go look it up.) If I'm right, that means the question was too easy for $1M, overvalued like most of the other questions in this stack.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:09 am

I didn't see Confessor's post first, honest. His appeared while I was typing.

And the question was too easy.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:59 am

$50K: I do not know this one. Pretty sure it's not cat litter. I will also ATA.

$100K: I knew this one before the choices came up. My mind went immediately to Alice Roosevelt Longworth, who was of course married to former Speaker of the House Nicholas Longworth.

$250K: It's either wheat or potatoes. Ask KenJen.

$500K: I've been to the Hard Rock Cafe in both Orlando and Philadelphia. Having looked at a map of all of the countries where a Hard Rock Cafe is located, I could rule out Kuwait and Bahrain. Double Dip on Lebanon and Syria.

So that would've put me in a terrific position with the $1M Hello Dolly question. Don't know if this question is about the musical, the song, a toy doll, Dolly the cloned sheep, or Dolly Parton... but my PAF might provide me with the correct answer on any of those topics.

Wow... two weeks with a $250,000 winner! I hope that Winnamill makes it three weeks in a row today.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:42 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Lawler family
South Brunswick, NJ

It's the final day of Family Week.
And not a moment too soon. I'm eagerly waiting for winamill's second show.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ken Jennings is back as the expert. Jim says that Ken is his idol; he knows more arcane trivia than anyone. It's like having a stealth bomber on the runway.
Was Thicke unavailable or did they decide they wanted Ken in the hopes of having a big money winner for their last day?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Spanning three generations, Harry Caray, Skip Caray and Chip Caray all gained fame from doing what?
A - coaching in the NFL
B - announcing baseball games
C - serving in Congress
D - writing children's books

Tracy asks Jim and he again says he's 100% sure of the answer. It's announcing baseball games.
Spoiler
B - announcing baseball games (14)
elwing is not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to sports but she knew this one (although she thought that Harry called games for the Yankees).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - In the U.S., "entry level" Girl Scouts are called what?
A - Daisies
B - Tulips
C - Carnations
D - Lilies

Tracy wasn't a Girl Scout but her daughter was one for a short time so she knows the answer.
Spoiler
A - daisies (19)
I was expecting "Brownies", but elwing informed me that they were like Cub Scouts vis-a-vis Boy Scouts. She was a Bluebird (which was the equivalent of a Brownie for the Camp Fire Girls). As for me, no idea so it's time to ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - Where would you likely find the warning "Containing phenylalanine"?
A - can of diet soda
B - bag of kitty litter
C - bottle of wine
D - box of rat poison

Tracy is relatively sure it's a can of diet soda and asks if the other two want to use a lifeline. They decide to ask the audience with 9 seconds left.

ATA results:
A - 67%
B - 8%
C - 6%
D - 19%

Tracy makes that her family's final answer.
Spoiler
A - can of diet soda (7)
It's a shame Tracy wasn't more insistent on going with the answer without using a lifeline. Given her comments, it's possible that she tainted the results.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K - A shade of pale grayish-blue, Alice blue is named after the daughter of what U.S. president?
A - Andrew Jackson
B - Ulysses S. Grant
C - Theodore Roosevelt
D - Woodrow Wilson

Jim says it's Roosevelt but Tracy wants to know if he's sure enough to make that a final answer without using a lifeline.
Spoiler
C - Theodore Roosevelt (17)
That's the way to do it, Jim. Roosevelt was the only one I could think of who had a daughter named Alice.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K - Which of these common foods was unknown in Europe prior to the discovery of the New World?
A - sugar
B - wheat
C - lemons
D - potatoes

Tracy says surely it couldn't be potatoes but she's unsure. She consults Jim (but not Connor) about using a lifeline and they decide to ask the expert with 21 seconds left. Ken gets the question and says he thinks he might know it. He's pretty sure that potatoes are a New World plant even though they're associated with Ireland. There are some other tempting answers but he feels pretty good. Tracy asks how sure he is percentage-wise; he says between 90% and 95%.
Spoiler
D - potatoes (18)
No need for me to use a lifeline on this one.

Meredith reminds them that the family's unused time has been banked for the $1M question; they currently have 2 minutes 34 seconds.[/quote]
elwing commented that it seemed to her as if Meredith was trying to psych out the family.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500K - Which of these countries is not home to a Hard Rock Cafe?
A - Kuwait
B - Bahrain
C - Lebanon
D - Syria

They have no idea so with 34 seconds left they decide to phone a friend. Their PAF list consists of George, an attorney from Basking Ridge, NJ; Wayne, a psychologist from North Caldwell, NJ; and Robert from Croton on Hudson, NY. They opt to choose Wayne. After reading the question Wayne says he's 40% sure it's Syria. That's not good enough and they don't want to risk falling back by using the Double Dip, so they walk away with $250K. It turns out that Wayne was right.
Spoiler
D - Syria (20)
I have no idea, either. I've already used my ATA (not that they'd be likely to know), so it's either PAF or ATE. I don't think Ken is likely to know this one, so it's time to use the designated Google PAF.

The Lawlers made a good run - in their situation I'd be going for $500K with ATE and DD still remaining.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:15 am

Princess Peanut was a Daisy last year, which TPTB created as an entry to Girl Scouts for Kindergartners. However, you can become a Brownie without ever having been a Daisy.

In case it comes up on the show, the equivalent is a Tiger Cub for the Boy Scouts.

Weyoun

#9 Post by Weyoun » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:57 am

silvercamaro wrote:
etaoin22 wrote:My feeling, more likely than not, even not knowing the repartee, is that Connor would be 15-16 or younger.

You are correct. Connor was 12 and adorable.

I agree, too, on the Dolly question. I think they would have asked "In what country was Dolly the Sheep cloned." (My brain, however flawed, tells me it was Scotland. Now I will have to go look it up.) If I'm right, that means the question was too easy for $1M, overvalued like most of the other questions in this stack.
Funny, I actually drove by where it happpened while in Scotland. It happened at a place called Roslin, which is basically the same place as Rosslyn, which is where the famous chapel featured in The da Vinci Code is located. All sorts of people travel pass this building in Roslin en route to the chapel, completely unaware of the actual history that went on there.

I consider Syria the intuitive answer for the Hard Rock Cafe - it has no money and no tourists go there. But it's also a question that one would be risking so much on, when one can't *absolutely* know it - so that stinks for them. If I had to double dip, I'd actually make Kuwait my number two - it's a giant no fun zone, according to friends who have been there.

lv42day

#10 Post by lv42day » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:41 pm

I'm trying to remember where I heard the potato question before (or some variation of it). Ken Jennings has a Tuesday trivia contest, does anyone on the bored subscribe to that (other than myself), and does anyone remember a question like that on that contest?

clem21
Nose Exploder

#11 Post by clem21 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:39 pm

lv42day wrote:I'm trying to remember where I heard the potato question before (or some variation of it). Ken Jennings has a Tuesday trivia contest, does anyone on the bored subscribe to that (other than myself), and does anyone remember a question like that on that contest?
Yes, I do and no, I don't...but I've been doing it for what, nearly two years now so I wouldn't remember every question...
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:43 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $250K - Which of these common foods was unknown in Europe prior to the discovery of the New World?
A - sugar
B - wheat
C - lemons
D - potatoes

Spoiler
D - potatoes (18)
This was a $250K question and nobody in the family knew it? Sounds more like a basic 5th Grader question to me!

TheGlowingPotato
Merry Man

#13 Post by TheGlowingPotato » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:50 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $250K - Which of these common foods was unknown in Europe prior to the discovery of the New World?
A - sugar
B - wheat
C - lemons
D - potatoes

Spoiler
D - potatoes (18)
This was a $250K question and nobody in the family knew it? Sounds more like a basic 5th Grader question to me!
The writers have never been all that great at assigning values to questions about me and my fellow tubers....

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:15 pm

Here's an article about the Leahy-Lawler family appearance.

http://www.packetonline.com/articles/20 ... 121997.txt
Meeting with host Meredith Vieira made the moment a little less nerve-wracking.

”She met us in the green room and is such a nice, warm and welcoming person,” Ms. Leahy said. “My heart was pounding when we got to the chair, I was wondering if I’d even be able to talk. But once you get up there she grabs your hand and makes you feel very comfortable.”
Has Meredith ever met contestants in the green room before? I don't remember reading that before!