Grumble®

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Grumble®

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:07 am

Sheesh! If one of the administrators has made "Grumble®" my official title, I want to know what powers come along with it!

Messing around with a person's profile...

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:08 am

You should be happy that they like you enough to mess with your profile :)

earendel

Re: Grumble®

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:09 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Sheesh! If one of the administrators has made "Grumble®" my official title, I want to know what powers come along with it!
It's an honorary title. :lol:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Messing around with a person's profile...
Seriously, I hope not. Things like this (and the business with Otto) are reasons why some people are dubious about this Bored.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:13 am

earendel wrote:Seriously, I hope not. Things like this (and the business with Otto) are reasons why some people are dubious about this Bored.
I'm sure someone's having their little joke with me--and has been waiting to see how long it took me to notice. :roll:

But the thing is, if that's my trademark phrase, then I will be the one to determine when it's used!

And contrary to popular belief, not every post of mine is a complaint! :wink:

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#5 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:15 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:...

...news to me.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#6 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:16 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:Seriously, I hope not. Things like this (and the business with Otto) are reasons why some people are dubious about this Bored.
I'm sure someone's having their little joke with me--and has been waiting to see how long it took me to notice. :roll:

But the thing is, if that's my trademark phrase, then I will be the one to determine when it's used!

I agree with Marley on this. Whoever put that in needs to cease and desist similar stunts for all time. This was a joke, agreed. But not all jokes turn out to be funny.

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

#7 Post by tubadave » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:17 am

Assigning ranks does not require messing around with anyone's profile. I created the rank and assigned it to Marley's ID, nothing more. Ranks can also be created that will automatically assign themselves to anyone with a certain number of posts, but I haven't tried that yet. I mainly wanted to test and make sure I understood how it worked. If you had been looking closely enough, for about 10-15 seconds, everyone on the Bored (outside of the admins and moderators, who have ranks assigned already) had Grumble® as their rank, because I checked the wrong box. :roll:

Anyway, since ranks are something I can't seem to enable for everyone to set on their own, if anyone would like to have some particular witty phrase or comment assigned to them, just PM an admin.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:18 am

Rexer25 wrote:...news to me.
Nice of you having your signature line fit for my reply! :P

Jeemie

Obviously you guys are not used to wesbites...

#9 Post by Jeemie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:19 am

...with this much functionality.

Many sites have automated titles that appear once you reach a certain threshold number of posts- for instance, one of the Steelers' boards I post on starts people off as a rookie, then to the practice team, then to first team, then to grizzled vet- all depending on how many posts one has.

The admins CAN change it, but seriously, it's all in good fun, and the admins aren't messing with anything private that can cuase a security breach.

Learn the new technology! Live it! Love it!
1979 City of Champions 2009

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:21 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:And contrary to popular belief, not every post of mine is a complaint! :wink:
There have been some issues with Emma's class and I have made some comments/ complaints to Emma's teacher, who is a really cool guy. (He agrees with my complaints, for the record.)

Anyway, Emma told me that I complained too much the other day. I told her that I hadn't complained about anything in four days.

She told me that saying that I hadn't complained in four days was like a trailer park with a sign outside that says "No Tornadoes in Four Days."

I shared this conversation with him and he found it amusing.

Yesterday afternoon there was some quirkiness with the online grading system, so I fired off an email asking for clarification.

Emma wrote to him as well telling him that somewhere a tornado had hit a trailer park.

He wrote back said that he was glad that he lived in a house.

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:22 am

tubadave wrote: If you had been looking closely enough, for about 10-15 seconds, everyone on the Bored (outside of the admins and moderators, who have ranks assigned already) had Grumble® as their rank, because I checked the wrong box.
Turning the whole Bored into grumblers--now that's the kind of power I could go for! :wink:

And don't take this out on tubadave so seriously, people. It was just a little experiment/joke. :)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#12 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:25 am

Your Grumble® is gone!

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:26 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: Anyway, Emma told me that I complained too much the other day. I told her that I hadn't complained about anything in four days.

She told me that saying that I hadn't complained in four days was like a trailer park with a sign outside that says "No Tornadoes in Four Days."
Foxworthy so missed the boat when he passed up Emma to cast those little actors and actresses! :twisted:

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:29 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Foxworthy so missed the boat when he passed up Emma to cast those little actors and actresses! :twisted:

She's much better off :) I wouldn't want her to change who she is just to collect $900 a show. I can't imagine her ever laughing on cue.

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:34 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: She's much better off :) I wouldn't want her to change who she is just to collect $900 a show. I can't imagine her ever laughing on cue.
I know. The serious discussion about that has long been settled.

I'm just saying... :wink:

Besides, they apparently decided to tone down the kids being sarcastic part from what she reported after the auditions. They leave that job to Jeff, while the students get to play the smart and wonderful role.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#16 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:38 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Besides, they apparently decided to tone down the kids being sarcastic part from what she reported after the auditions. They leave that job to Jeff, while the students get to play the smart and wonderful role.
I am still amazed that the kids are fed the answers and the show gets away with it.

Jeemie

#17 Post by Jeemie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:41 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Besides, they apparently decided to tone down the kids being sarcastic part from what she reported after the auditions. They leave that job to Jeff, while the students get to play the smart and wonderful role.
I am still amazed that the kids are fed the answers and the show gets away with it.
We've said this before- because the contestants aren't fed the answers, that's why.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#18 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:44 am

Jeemie wrote: We've said this before- because the contestants aren't fed the answers, that's why.
When the contestants are "saved" by the kids knowning the answer, the answer feeding impacts game play.

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:45 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I am still amazed that the kids are fed the answers and the show gets away with it.
But the kids apparently don't study those "workbooks" as carefully as they did for the first few shows.

Even though they can't help for the $1 million question, I'd like to see their answers on that one. If any of they had gotten "Kazahkstan," I'd have been really impressed.

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:46 am

Jeemie wrote:
We've said this before- because the contestants aren't fed the answers, that's why.
Yes, but what if a persons PAF was fed the answers?

Or if the 50/50 wasn't really random? Com'on you know it is. Right?

Anyway, since the kids knowing or not knowing the answers can impact the players' winnings, it is a form of contestant manipulation to me.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#21 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:47 am

We haven't been watching the show, so, I didn't realize that the kids didn't know as much.

Em's fifth grade teacher found the show amusing because the questions had nothing to do with Content Standards of what kids are supposed to be taught at each grade level.

Jeemie

#22 Post by Jeemie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:47 am

Jeemie wrote: We've said this before- because the contestants aren't fed the answers, that's why.
When the contestants are "saved" by the kids knowning the answer, the answer feeding impacts game play.
But, as we've seen, they don't always know the answer- and their effect on gameplay is equal for all contetants.

One contestant gets no advantage over another- it's just the show essentially giving away free money.

I look at it as no different than BAM making the first five questions pretty much gimmes.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#23 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:48 am

BackInTex wrote:Anyway, since the kids knowing or not knowing the answers can impact the players' winnings, it is a form of contestant manipulation to me.
Thank you :)