Transcript 11/24/08 Karen Christensen (Winnamill)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/24/08 Karen Christensen (Winnamill)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Karen Christensen Winnamill
Sunnyvale, CA
School Librarian and Badminton Coach

Karen still has her ATA, DD and ATE.

Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Will Shortz, editor of the New York Times’ crossword puzzle.

Topic Tree:

It's Been Decades!
Beat the Heat
The Ringed Planet
Dave
Opera
Local Cuisine
Are We There Yet?
(Novel Ideas)
(Game, Set, Match)
(Med School)
(Superheroes)
(Funnymen)
(Web Site Says)
(Classic Films)
(Richard Simmons)

$16K In a journal entry dated December 1, 1805, U.S. explorer William Clark noted that his party had finally reached what body of water?
A. Atlantic Ocean
B. Gulf of Mexico
C. Pacific Ocean
D. Gulf of California
Spoiler
C. Pacific Ocean (22)
$25K Residents of Philly traditionally order their city’s signature cheesesteak sandwich “wit” or “witout” what topping?
A. Mustard
B. Sliced pickles
C. Hot peppers
D. Fried onions

ATA (23)

5% A. Mustard
3% B. Sliced pickles
14% C. Hot peppers
78% D. Fried onions

Spoiler
D. Fried onions (18)
commercial break

$50K The aptly titled Bugs bunny cartoon “Rabbit of Seville” features music from a famous opera by what composer?
A. Verdi
B. Rossini
C. Bizet
D. Puccini

DD (34)

Karen’s first choice is Puccini, which is incorrect.
Karen’s second choice is correct.

Spoiler
B. Rossini (31)
$100K As proven in a “Will It Float?” segment on the “Late Show with David Letterman,” which of these items floats in water?
A. Wheel of Swiss cheese
B. Six-pound can of Crisco
C. Rack of barbecued ribs
D. Roll of duct tape

ATE (36)

Will says he has no idea. He doesn’t even want to take a guess.

Karen says she has no idea and decides to leave with $50K.

Spoiler
B. Six-pound can of Crisco (16)
commercial break

Answers:
$16K C. Pacific Ocean
$25K D. Fried onions
$50K B. Rossini
$100K B. Six-pound can of Crisco

madamemeisha

Re: Transcript 11/24/08 Karen Christensen

#2 Post by madamemeisha » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:12 pm

Wow, way to go, Winnamill! That last question was so obscure...I never would have gotten that. You did great!

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 11/24/08 Karen Christensen (Winnamill)

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:53 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Will Shortz, editor of the New York Times’ crossword puzzle.
Hopefully, he'll be better than Rene Syler.

$50K: I was also between Rossini and Puccini... but I would've asked Will.

$100K: This is more of a science question than a question about the "Late Show". Basically, I could rewrite this "Which of these items is less dense than water and therefore floats?" Fat floats, so I leaned toward Crisco... but Swiss cheese looked tempting because of all of the holes inside that are full of air. I would've Double Dipped.

Great game, Karen! :D

TheConfessor

#4 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:30 pm

As a longtime fan of "Will It Float," I've learned that it often depends on the packaging, and occasionally there is an item that will float initiallly, but eventually sink. But as Nelly said, fat floats, and there's probably a little extra air trapped in the top of a Crisco container, though I haven't actually opened any Crisco since the 1960s, when my siblings and I would fight for the right to break off the metal key and insert the can's tab in the slot, then turn the key tangentially along the circumference of the can to open it, and try not to slip and gash any fingers before the job was done, so it's entirely possible that Crisco packaging has changed in the past 40 years.

I had no problem with Karen asking the "Expert" on that question, since he's supposed to be a smart guy, but I was surprised at how ineffective he was on both of the questions he got on today's show. Sheesh, bring back Bill Nye. I'm sure he knows that fat floats. I was equally surprised that Shortz had no clue on the Delacroix question.

Will Shortz even shares a first name with Will It Float?

TheGlowingPotato
Merry Man

#5 Post by TheGlowingPotato » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:34 pm

TheConfessor wrote:As a longtime fan of "Will It Float," I've learned that it often depends on the packaging, and occasionally there is an item that will float initiallly, but eventually sink. But as Nelly said, fat floats, and there's probably a little extra air trapped in the top of a Crisco container, though I haven't actually opened any Crisco since the 1960s, when my siblings and I would fight for the right to break off the metal key and insert the can's tab in the slot, then turn the key tangentially along the circumference of the can to open it, and try not to slip and gash any fingers before the job was done, so it's entirely possible that Crisco packaging has changed in the past 40 years.

I had no problem with Karen asking the "Expert" on that question, since he's supposed to be a smart guy, but I was surprised at how ineffective he was on both of the questions he got on today's show. Sheesh, bring back Bill Nye. I'm sure he knows that fat floats. I was equally surprised that Shortz had no clue on the Delacroix question.

Will Shortz even shares a first name with Will It Float?
I bet I'd float....

Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

#6 Post by Evil Squirrel » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:40 pm

$100K As proven in a “Will It Float?” segment on the “Late Show with David Letterman,” which of these items floats in water?
A. Wheel of Swiss cheese
D. Roll of duct tape

Well, I know which one it isn't......
Squirrels are the architects of forests, the planters of trees, nature's own acrobats and show a zest for life that can inspire us. Every day should be National Squirrel Appreciation Day!

--squirrelmama (10/3/07)

Many of these (squirrel) migrations were probably caused by food shortages as well as habitat overcrowding. We solved that for them. We not only reduced their habitat, we reduced the whole species by about 90%. The least we can do now is share a little birdseed with them.

--Richard E. Mallery

2008 Squirrel of the Year Award winner

TheConfessor

#7 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Evil Squirrel wrote:$100K As proven in a “Will It Float?” segment on the “Late Show with David Letterman,” which of these items floats in water?
A. Wheel of Swiss cheese
D. Roll of duct tape

I wonder if all four items have been tested on "Will It Float?" It would be a much more devious question if more than one will float, but only the Crisco has actually been proven on "Will It Float?"

TheConfessor

#8 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:51 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
Evil Squirrel wrote:$100K As proven in a “Will It Float?” segment on the “Late Show with David Letterman,” which of these items floats in water?
A. Wheel of Swiss cheese
D. Roll of duct tape

I wonder if all four items have been tested on "Will It Float?" It would be a much more devious question if more than one will float, but only the Crisco has actually been proven on "Will It Float?"
Okay, I found the answer. All four items have been featured on "Will It Float?" Only the Crisco floated.
http://www.ddy.com/dl21.html

TheConfessor

#9 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 pm

Technically, they should clarify what they mean by "water." Are the Great Salt Lake or the Dead Sea water? It might change the result.

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:19 am

TheConfessor wrote:Technically, they should clarify what they mean by "water." Are the Great Salt Lake or the Dead Sea water? It might change the result.
Since they qualified the question by referencing the Letterman show, it really doesn't matter what type of water is involved. It's whatever water they used on the show.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:40 am

Congratulations!

I am annoyed that I did not get to see your show. I wanted to be able to watch you work. I am hoping you will be in reruns.

Hoping you loved every second of it and that you viewing party is/will be everything you had hoped.

Snaxx

#12 Post by Snaxx » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:33 am

Same here, I came home to a DVD of the end of a press conference and then the afternoon news.
peacock2121 wrote:Congratulations!

I am annoyed that I did not get to see your show. I wanted to be able to watch you work. I am hoping you will be in reruns.

Hoping you loved every second of it and that you viewing party is/will be everything you had hoped.
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:36 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Karen Christensen Winnamill
Sunnyvale, CA
School Librarian and Badminton Coach

Karen still has her ATA, DD and ATE.

Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Will Shortz, editor of the New York Times’ crossword puzzle.
This could be a good or a bad thing depending upon the question. Does a puzzle editor know a lot about many things?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K Residents of Philly traditionally order their city’s signature cheesesteak sandwich “wit” or “witout” what topping?
A. Mustard
B. Sliced pickles
C. Hot peppers
D. Fried onions

ATA (23)

5% A. Mustard
3% B. Sliced pickles
14% C. Hot peppers
78% D. Fried onions

Spoiler
D. Fried onions (18)
My thought was "peppers" and I might have gone with that answer without using a lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K The aptly titled Bugs bunny cartoon “Rabbit of Seville” features music from a famous opera by what composer?
A. Verdi
B. Rossini
C. Bizet
D. Puccini

DD (34)

Karen’s first choice is Puccini, which is incorrect.
Karen’s second choice is correct.
This is one of my all-time favorite cartoons.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K As proven in a “Will It Float?” segment on the “Late Show with David Letterman,” which of these items floats in water?
A. Wheel of Swiss cheese
D. Roll of duct tape

ATE (36)

Will says he has no idea. He doesn’t even want to take a guess.

Karen says she has no idea and decides to leave with $50K.

Spoiler
B. Six-pound can of Crisco (16)
No idea, although I can probably rule out the cheese (the holes would admit the water and not keep it afloat). Maybe go with the Double Dip and make B and D my two choices. This would be a tough Google, I suspect.

Karen, my hat's off to you on your run. Good job!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

slam

#14 Post by slam » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:52 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Will Shortz, editor of the New York Times’ crossword puzzle.[/i]
This could be a good or a bad thing depending upon the question. Does a puzzle editor know a lot about many things?
Without knowing much about Will Shortz other than his job, my initial reaction would be that I'd be happy to have him as my ATE. I doubt he'd be as good as a Ken Jennings or Ogi Ogas, but I'd expect him to be one of the better ATEs of the season. Let's see if it works out that way.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#15 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:51 am

I would love to meet Wil Shortz. I love his twisted puzzles!
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:41 am

Great job, Karen! Congrats, and enjoy the cash!

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#17 Post by frogman042 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:56 am

Great job Karen!!!!!!

It was such a treat to watch you - you did great.

Lets us know how your viewing party went and if you want to share any of you trip experiences I would love to read that as well.

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!

---Jay

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#18 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:54 pm

I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of congratulations. Way to go! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

christie1111
11:11

#19 Post by christie1111 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:47 pm

Adding my congratulations as well!

Great Job!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

TheConfessor

#20 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:24 pm

slam wrote:
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Will Shortz, editor of the New York Times’ crossword puzzle.[/i]
Without knowing much about Will Shortz other than his job, my initial reaction would be that I'd be happy to have him as my ATE. I doubt he'd be as good as a Ken Jennings or Ogi Ogas, but I'd expect him to be one of the better ATEs of the season. Let's see if it works out that way.
That would have been my expectation as well. The first two days have certainly changed my impression. He has been asked four questions so far, and...
Spoiler
the only one he had any clue about was the definition of "fecundity," which would have been pretty bad for a crossword puzzle guy to miss. On the other three, he wouldn't even talk through his thought process or give any indication that he could eliminate a choice or was leaning toward a choice that seemed most likely. He just said he didn't know and couldn't help at all on three questions. I suppose that's better than pretending you know when you don't, but still...
Congratulations to Karen for playing well and winning a nice amount.

lv42day

#21 Post by lv42day » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:41 pm

Congratulations on your win! I wish I had seen it, but I am in that WE territory, that preempted the show for the local news. I am just wondering if the expert did indeed say more to you, and they just edited a lot of his comments out, or if what he said on the show was indeed all he said.

takinover

#22 Post by takinover » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Congrats :D

Estonut
Evil Genius

#23 Post by Estonut » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:24 pm

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K As proven in a “Will It Float?” segment on the “Late Show with David Letterman,” which of these items floats in water?
A. Wheel of Swiss cheese
D. Roll of duct tape
No idea, although I can probably rule out the cheese (the holes would admit the water and not keep it afloat).
But the holes that are not on the outside surfaces are air bubbles, which would keep it afloat.

Winnamill

#24 Post by Winnamill » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:57 pm

Hi!

Just a quick note to say thanks for everyone's support throughout this process, even during my whining a couple of weeks ago. :D

I will put out a lot of other details once I have time to get caught up on everything and am not on a timed computer. But now that everyone has seen it and I've consulted with my PAF group lifeline at the school where I work, I no longer need to beat myself up for using the PAF on the $8K question. It took until last week to realize I actually MISREAD the question, thinking it was asking for a generic "who" rather than "which author about HIS work". But because I would not have changed anything else about how I played the game, the PAF would not have helped on the $100K question as none of the group knew the answer (as in saw the show and KNEW it, not just guessing). I figured it was not just about what floats, but what Letterman has actually tested so without watching his show on a regular basis (almost never), there was no way to know this, and I wasn't able to Google it myself in under 30 seconds.

Thanks, NellyLunatic, for the great link info. One of the school students sent it to me and another friend also found it so all those people who missed part of the second day for pre-emptions, etc., can at least see the details there. Fortunately, it was not pre-empted on the West Coast this time or in North Carolina where another PAF is making me a DVD.

I'll have behind-the-scenes info. soon. Everybody have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Karen

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:57 am

Congratulations, Karen!
TheConfessor wrote:
slam wrote:
earendel wrote: This could be a good or a bad thing depending upon the question. Does a puzzle editor know a lot about many things?
That would have been my expectation as well. The first two days have certainly changed my impression. He has been asked four questions so far, and...
Spoiler
the only one he had any clue about was the definition of "fecundity," which would have been pretty bad for a crossword puzzle guy to miss. On the other three, he wouldn't even talk through his thought process or give any indication that he could eliminate a choice or was leaning toward a choice that seemed most likely. He just said he didn't know and couldn't help at all on three questions. I suppose that's better than pretending you know when you don't, but still...
This was another example why I think any experts who aren't previous contestants should be required to take an ATE training course from Ogi, to learn how to do it right.