Transcript 11/24/08 Patrick Pugh

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 11/24/08 Patrick Pugh

#26 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 am

littlebeast13 wrote: This question is all about knowing the positioning of states and reasoning based on such. A Q more suited for the pre-clock era, yes, but not the monster you make it out to be.....
It's pretty hard to tell from that New Yorker map, anyway! :mrgreen:

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#27 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:51 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote: This question is all about knowing the positioning of states and reasoning based on such. A Q more suited for the pre-clock era, yes, but not the monster you make it out to be.....
It's pretty hard to tell from that New Yorker map, anyway! :mrgreen:

You know what's really ironic.... my Sploofus Q this morning was basically in the same category (identifying which 2 states are the farrest apart at their closest points). I got it wrong because in the 30 second Sploofus timeframe, I wound up reading the damn question wrong....

The good news is my worst month ever (October) was the only month in which I ever got my Q on the 1st correct, so this bodes well for my chances of making OCDer's leaderboard this month....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

TheConfessor

#28 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:29 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K If you draw a straight line on a map from Austin, Texas to Des Moines, Iowa, the line won’t pass through which of these states?
A. Missouri
B. Oklahoma
C. Kansas
D. Nebraska

ATA (7)

37% A. Missouri
15% B. Oklahoma
10% C. Kansas
38% D. Nebraska

DD (5)

Patrick’s first choice is Missouri, which is wrong.
Patrick’s second choice is correct.

Spoiler
D. Nebraska (1)
elwing said this was the type of question her geography teacher in college liked to ask.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this question. I like geography questions, but I think this particular one, especially under the pressure of the damned clock, was pretty brutal. I had the right answer, basically from remembering that Iowa is north of Missouri, while Nebraska is west of Iowa, but the "straight line" from Austin to Des Moines is not a line running due north! In fact, it appears that the north-northeasterly line runs fairly close to the southeastern corner of Nebraska; if they had chosen some more western city in Texas, like Amarillo, that straight line could have passed through all four of the listed states!
If you want to get technical (which I always welcome), a straight line from Austin to Des Moines doesn't pass through any of the states. It passes under them. The Earth has three dimensions. A line passes through a sphere like an arrow passes through an apple.

MarleysGh0st

#29 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:01 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: elwing said this was the type of question her geography teacher in college liked to ask.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this question. I like geography questions, but I think this particular one, especially under the pressure of the damned clock, was pretty brutal. I had the right answer, basically from remembering that Iowa is north of Missouri, while Nebraska is west of Iowa, but the "straight line" from Austin to Des Moines is not a line running due north! In fact, it appears that the north-northeasterly line runs fairly close to the southeastern corner of Nebraska; if they had chosen some more western city in Texas, like Amarillo, that straight line could have passed through all four of the listed states!
If you want to get technical (which I always welcome), a straight line from Austin to Des Moines doesn't pass through any of the states. It passes under them. The Earth has three dimensions. A line passes through a sphere like an arrow passes through an apple.
Yes, but if you go by the legal theory that a property rights extend from the surface down to the center of the earth, then it's still those particular states down there. :wink:

We might also argue whether a "straight" line implied one drawn on a Mercator projection map or a great circle line drawn on a globe, which might look curved on the former but would actually be the shortest (surface) distance between the two cities.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#30 Post by frogman042 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:30 pm

The way I looked at the question is what states does I-35 run through. Through work I have spent time in both Des Moines and Kansas City and since I-35 runs right through Austin, as well as Des Moines and Kansas City - (which crosses both Missori and Kansas) and I-35 doesn't go through Nebraska (did some work in Lincoln as well).

I used to joke that I didn't need to fly to Des Moines or KC because I could just drive up I-35.

---Jay

MarleysGh0st

#31 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:39 pm

frogman042 wrote:The way I looked at the question is what states does I-35 run through. Through work I have spent time in both Des Moines and Kansas City and since I-35 runs right through Austin, as well as Des Moines and Kansas City - (which crosses both Missori and Kansas) and I-35 doesn't go through Nebraska (did some work in Lincoln as well).

I used to joke that I didn't need to fly to Des Moines or KC because I could just drive up I-35.

---Jay
Hmmm.

I thought those north-south interstates ran, you know, north and south. How did I-35 get that big northeastern detour from Wichita to Kansas City?

Bob Juch

#32 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:48 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
frogman042 wrote:The way I looked at the question is what states does I-35 run through. Through work I have spent time in both Des Moines and Kansas City and since I-35 runs right through Austin, as well as Des Moines and Kansas City - (which crosses both Missori and Kansas) and I-35 doesn't go through Nebraska (did some work in Lincoln as well).

---Jay
Hmmm.

I thought those north-south interstates ran, you know, north and south. How did I-35 get that big northeastern detour from Wichita to Kansas City?
The people of Salina must have pissed someone off.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#33 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:52 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:

---Jay
Hmmm.

Probably the same way that I-71 runs from Louisville to Cincinnati.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

christie1111
11:11

#34 Post by christie1111 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:34 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't know who TheSearchisOn is?

Oh, wait. Marley probably doesn't know either! :wink:
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

MarleysGh0st

#35 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:50 pm

christie1111 wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who TheSearchisOn is?

What are you implying? :P

I actually had forgotten who TheSearch is, since he hasn't posted in months, until I went back to review all his posts. Turns out he's one of the BBs I've met in person! 8)

earendel

#36 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:52 pm

In case you want to know, christie, here's the answer:
Spoiler
It's robwilson.

christie1111
11:11

#37 Post by christie1111 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:07 pm

earendel wrote:

Spoiler
It's robwilson.
Oh! Thanks!

I get confused when people change there names here.

MMs baffle me completely.

At least most of them.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

earendel

#38 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:16 pm

christie1111 wrote:
earendel wrote:

Spoiler
It's robwilson.
Oh! Thanks!

At least most of them.
You aren't alone in that regard - I get confused easily as well. Or, at least I can't tell the difference between mini's MMs, lb's MMs and rexer's MMs.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#39 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:42 pm

earendel wrote:
christie1111 wrote:
earendel wrote: In case you want to know, christie, here's the answer:
Spoiler
It's robwilson.
Oh! Thanks!

At least most of them.
You aren't alone in that regard - I get confused easily as well. Or, at least I can't tell the difference between mini's MMs, lb's MMs and rexer's MMs.
Mmmmm. I love M&ms. Except the green ones.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#40 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:26 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:

---Jay
Hmmm.

What, you can't have interstates run diagonally to connect cities?

I-44 runs from St. Louis southwest through Oklahoma. I-24 runs from southern Illinois all the way to Atlanta...

The only thing I find odd about I-35 is how far east it is in the country.... but even more odd is that I-29 also passes through Kansas City. I guess you don't have much need for many interstate highways in the western half of the country.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

earendel

#41 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:39 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

---Jay
Hmmm.

What, you can't have interstates run diagonally to connect cities?

I-44 runs from St. Louis southwest through Oklahoma. I-24 runs from southern Illinois all the way to Atlanta...

The only thing I find odd about I-35 is how far east it is in the country.... but even more odd is that I-29 also passes through Kansas City. I guess you don't have much need for many interstate highways in the western half of the country.....

lb13
I know all about I-44 - it was our route of choice when traveling from Louisville back to OKC to visit parents.

NellyLunatic1980

#42 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:11 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

I actually had forgotten who TheSearch is, since he hasn't posted in months, until I went back to review all his posts. Turns out he's one of the BBs I've met in person! 8)
I, of course, have also met him in person. :D

Desgeega
Merry Man

#43 Post by Desgeega » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:21 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

You met Link in person? I am jealous...
God bless Hip Tanaka!!!!!!

3ty-y7 000001
IVDsW9 0000HF

Eddington

#44 Post by Eddington » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:11 pm

Searching my name, I found this.

My name isn't Patrick, and my first week hasn't aired yet ;)

MarleysGh0st

#45 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Eddington wrote:Searching my name, I found this.

My name isn't Patrick, and my first week hasn't aired yet ;)
So have TPTB told you when to expect that first broadcast?

Oh--answered already in another thread. :)

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#46 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:24 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Woohoo. Yes, I have met Rob as well.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

tanstaafl2

#47 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:18 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K If you draw a straight line on a map from Austin, Texas to Des Moines, Iowa, the line won’t pass through which of these states?
A. Missouri
B. Oklahoma
C. Kansas
D. Nebraska

ATA (7)

37% A. Missouri
15% B. Oklahoma
10% C. Kansas
38% D. Nebraska

DD (5)

Patrick’s first choice is Missouri, which is wrong.
Patrick’s second choice is correct.

Spoiler
D. Nebraska (1)
elwing said this was the type of question her geography teacher in college liked to ask.
I agree. Very tough question especially when faced with TDC. Not easy even without it. The line runs close to I35 from KC to Des Moines, missing Nebraska by perhaps 65 miles. I agree it was about knowing the position of states but even if you know it well it would help to be able to think about it a bit. I would have guessed Nebraska because Iowa was north of Missouri and Des Moines was roughly in the middle of Iowa but I figured it had to be close. A little time to think about it would have been nice.

As for the 50K it was certainly an easy google PAF so a bit hard to be sympathetic to the PAF failure.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh