Transcript 11/24/08 Patrick Pugh

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/24/08 Patrick Pugh

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Patrick Pugh
Laurel, DE
Police Officer

Patrick appeared on the show earlier this season, 09/29/08. He was invited back because a keyword in his $25K question was misspelled.

Patrick will start at $25K with all of his lifelines.

The Topic Tree is different from Patrick’s original tree, even the completed levels.

Patrick's original Topic Tree:
Famous Pets
Medals
Human Development
Supreme Court
The Middle East
Words
(Writers)
(Band Names)
(Historical Events)
(Sleep)
(Games)
(Famous Quotes)
(Horror Movies)
(Grammar)
(Holiday Traditions)
Topic Tree:

Two By Two
Break a Leg!
U.S. Elections
Athletic Venues
Coldplay
On the Map
(John McCain)
(Literary Characters)
(Burn Baby Burn)
(Glass Half Full)
(Foreign Tube)
(Postage Stamps)
(Arts & Crafts)
(In Training)
(Familiar Ditties)

$25K If you draw a straight line on a map from Austin, Texas to Des Moines, Iowa, the line won’t pass through which of these states?
A. Missouri
B. Oklahoma
C. Kansas
D. Nebraska

ATA (7)

37% A. Missouri
15% B. Oklahoma
10% C. Kansas
38% D. Nebraska

DD (5)

Patrick’s first choice is Missouri, which is wrong.
Patrick’s second choice is correct.

Spoiler
D. Nebraska (1)
$50K The cover of the 2008 Coldplay album “Viva la Vida” features “Liberty Leading the People,” a famous painting by whom?
A. Édouard Manet
B. Eugène Delacroix
C. Gustave Courbet
D. Paul Cézanne

PAF (34)

Patrick’s PAF team consist of:

John from Georgetown, DE – a friend
Brian from Middletown, DE – Patrick’s brother
Patti-Ann from Philadelphia, PA – a buddy

PAF – John

Patrick asks John who painted “Liberty Leading the People.”
Patrick says he thinks it’s Cézanne, and then he gives the other choices.
With eight seconds remaining:
John: Got it. Uh.
Patrick: Five seconds
John: Uh.
Patrick: Cézanne?
John: It’, Uh. It’s…
Time expires

ATE (17)

Will says he doesn’t know.
Patrick says he thinks it’s the painting with the Spanish soldiers holding people at gunpoint.
Will says he just doesn’t know and doesn’t want to mislead Patrick.

Patrick makes D. Paul Cézanne his final answer.

Patrick leaves with $25K.

Spoiler
B. Eugène Delacroix (11)
commercial break

Answers:
$25K D. Nebraska
$50K B. Eugène Delacroix

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 11/24/08 Patrick Pugh

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:59 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K The cover of the 2008 Coldplay album “Viva la Vida” features “Liberty Leading the People,” a famous painting by whom?
A. Édouard Manet
B. Eugène Delacroix
C. Gustave Courbet
D. Paul Cézanne
Paging Rob Wilson! :P

Nihil obstat®

TheConfessor

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:34 pm

I can understand why they might have to change the topic tree of the upcoming questions, assuming that they did not preserve the exact stack that he had before. But can someone explain how/why they changed the topic tree of the questions that he already answered? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#4 Post by secondchance » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:03 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50K The cover of the 2008 Coldplay album “Viva la Vida” features “Liberty Leading the People,” a famous painting by whom?
A. Édouard Manet
B. Eugène Delacroix
C. Gustave Courbet
D. Paul Cézanne

PAF (34)

PAF – John

John: It’, Uh. It’s…Time expires

ATE (17)

Patrick says he thinks it’s the painting with the Spanish soldiers holding people at gunpoint.

Spoiler
B. Eugène Delacroix (11)
commercial break

Answers:
$25K D. Nebraska
$50K B. Eugène Delacroix
Patrick probably should have discounted Cezanne, since after he yelled, "5 seconds - Cezanne?" his PAF actually said, "it's, nah, it's..." Too bad he didn't go with that tiny bit of a help and pick what seemed to be his second choice.

Too bad, gotta root for a nice guy who loves his mama. And what a smile on that guy! He's gotta be breaking some kind of record with that thing. :lol:

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#5 Post by secondchance » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:08 pm

TheConfessor wrote:I can understand why they might have to change the topic tree of the upcoming questions, assuming that they did not preserve the exact stack that he had before. But can someone explain how/why they changed the topic tree of the questions that he already answered? It makes absolutely no sense to me.
I'm guessing that they just picked an entirely new topic tree and simply started at the current level, instead of trying to duplicate from the past. Must be legalities - not being able to mix old with new, not wanting to give him weeks of time to research the remaining catagories from the first tree, or laziness; assuming no one would notice... (well, almost no one :wink: )

Millionaire Fan

#6 Post by Millionaire Fan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:17 am

Seeing Patrick on the show again was deja-vu all over again. The last time he was on the exact same thing happened. He asked the audience and got a split result, double-dipped and got it right on his second guess just like last time.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:45 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Patrick Pugh
Laurel, DE
Police Officer

Patrick appeared on the show earlier this season, 09/29/08. He was invited back because a keyword in his $25K question was misspelled.

Patrick will start at $25K with all of his lifelines.

The Topic Tree is different from Patrick’s original tree, even the completed levels.
First off, here's the $25K question from his original show:

$25,000 * Italian
Derived from an old Italian word meaning "coloring," the technical term "coloratura" is used in what field?

A: Architecture B: Cooking
B: Dance D: Music

With 16 seconds left, Patrick Asks The Audience.

ATA: A: 39% B: 12% C: 12% D: 37%

With 6 seconds left, Patrick decides to use the Double Dip.

His first answer is A: Architecture.
His second answer is D: Music.

D: Music ( 2 )

Which word in this question is misspelled?

Second, why did the already-used portion of the topic tree change from the original show?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K If you draw a straight line on a map from Austin, Texas to Des Moines, Iowa, the line won’t pass through which of these states?
A. Missouri
B. Oklahoma
C. Kansas
D. Nebraska

ATA (7)

37% A. Missouri
15% B. Oklahoma
10% C. Kansas
38% D. Nebraska

DD (5)

Spoiler
D. Nebraska (1)
elwing said this was the type of question her geography teacher in college liked to ask.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K The cover of the 2008 Coldplay album “Viva la Vida” features “Liberty Leading the People,” a famous painting by whom?
A. Édouard Manet
B. Eugène Delacroix
C. Gustave Courbet
D. Paul Cézanne

PAF (34)

PAF – John

John: It’, Uh. It’s…
Time expires

ATE (17)

Spoiler
B. Eugène Delacroix (11)
So Patrick ended up no better and no worse than before, which makes me wonder why TPTB bothered to show this (there have been other instances in which a contestant came back but the return wasn't televised). But at least he had the guts to go for it, which almost turned out badly when he came very close to running out of time on the $25K question.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

slam

#8 Post by slam » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:05 am

These days "Viva La Vida" has become my family song. Whenever it comes on the radio when we're in the car, my two sons (ages 13 and 9) and I have a big sing along with it. My wife somehow manages to tolerate the cacophony.

Over on the J! side, knowing the artist who painted "Liberty Leading the People" had a significant impact on a third round match of the Ultimate Tournament of Champions. A 3rd round match featured Brad Rutter, Steve Chernicoff and Michael Rooney. Late in the DJ! round on this $1600 clue This "Liberty Leading the People" artist also painted "The Battle of Poitiers" Steve Chernicoff buzzed in first and negged with "Who is David?". Michael Rooney then picked up the rebound. The scores going into FJ! were Chernicoff - $12,400, Rooney - $9,200, Rutter - $5,600. Then Rutter had the sole correct FJ! response, won the game and went on to win the tournament. Chernicoff certainly knew the correct response here (I've had conversations with him after the fact) but had a brain glitch. If he gets the clue, the scores going into FJ! would have been $15,600/$7,600/$5,600 (give Chernicoff back the money he lost plus money for the correct response and taking away Rooney's correct response), giving Chernicoff a lock game. Brad Rutter would have been eliminated and who knows who would have won the tournament.

bazodee

#9 Post by bazodee » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:54 am

The painting Patrick seemed to be describing was Goya's "The Third of May". It seems that he just had the wrong painting on his mind.

As for an entirely new stack of questions, of course it makes sense. The questions are composed in stacks, theoretically balanced to cover a wide array of topics. The writers could not compose a special set starting at $25K because there could be accusations of writing the questions to fit the contestant. It had to be a randomly chosen stack from one of the X number they have ready for each show. The easiest solution is to use a new stack and start mid-way. The unused questions will eventually find their way back into future stacks.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#10 Post by frogman042 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:52 am

It was fun seeing Patrick again - I was the on-deck player when he was playing and it is interesting that his game was almost an exact replay of his first game with the exception of the ordering of his use of the lifelines on the 50K question (ATE then PAF on his first appearance and then PAF and ATE on his 2nd).

It is also interesting that he was Karen's on-deck player - so Patrick is sort of link to two bored members and almost certainly unaware of that tidbit of data.

---Jay

TheConfessor

#11 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:02 pm

slam wrote:Over on the J! side, knowing the artist who painted "Liberty Leading the People" had a significant impact on a third round match of the Ultimate Tournament of Champions. A 3rd round match featured Brad Rutter, Steve Chernicoff and Michael Rooney. Late in the DJ! round on this $1600 clue This "Liberty Leading the People" artist also painted "The Battle of Poitiers" Steve Chernicoff buzzed in first and negged with "Who is David?". Michael Rooney then picked up the rebound. The scores going into FJ! were Chernicoff - $12,400, Rooney - $9,200, Rutter - $5,600. Then Rutter had the sole correct FJ! response, won the game and went on to win the tournament. Chernicoff certainly knew the correct response here (I've had conversations with him after the fact) but had a brain glitch. If he gets the clue, the scores going into FJ! would have been $15,600/$7,600/$5,600 (give Chernicoff back the money he lost plus money for the correct response and taking away Rooney's correct response), giving Chernicoff a lock game. Brad Rutter would have been eliminated and who knows who would have won the tournament.
And we probably would have never seen Ken Jennings on 5th Grader. Oh yeah, I guess I'd still be ahead of Brad on the all-time winners list. D'oh! Darn that Delacroix!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:31 pm

frogman042 wrote:It is also interesting that he was Karen's on-deck player - so Patrick is sort of link to two bored members and almost certainly unaware of that tidbit of data.
I'm not so sure he's unaware. Isn't he Eddington? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#13 Post by frogman042 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:44 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
frogman042 wrote:It is also interesting that he was Karen's on-deck player - so Patrick is sort of link to two bored members and almost certainly unaware of that tidbit of data.
Is Eddington really Patrick????

Wow - I hope so - that would be so cool.

---Jay

luv2jog

#14 Post by luv2jog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:56 pm

frogman042 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Is Eddington really Patrick????

Wow - I hope so - that would be so cool.

---Jay
From skimming through Eddington's posts, he is not Patrick. However, it does appear, like Patrick, that there was some kind of problem with his first appearance, and he got to come back to the hot seat.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#15 Post by frogman042 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:59 pm

I am very certain at this point that he isn't Patrick, but I do look forward to Eddington's reappearence on the bored to let us know when the episodes air.

---Jay

clem21
Nose Exploder

#16 Post by clem21 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:29 pm

frogman042 wrote:I am very certain at this point that he isn't Patrick, but I do look forward to Eddington's reappearence on the bored to let us know when the episodes air.

---Jay
Eddington taped his second time the same day as me and my show is scheduled for May 21st....make of that what you will.
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

TheSearchIsOn

#17 Post by TheSearchIsOn » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:10 am

TheConfessor wrote:And we probably would have never seen Ken Jennings on 5th Grader. Oh yeah, I guess I'd still be ahead of Brad on the all-time winners list. D'oh! Darn that Delacroix!
I second that sentiment.
President, Big Taste Nation

peacock2121

#18 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:50 am

TheSearchIsOn wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:And we probably would have never seen Ken Jennings on 5th Grader. Oh yeah, I guess I'd still be ahead of Brad on the all-time winners list. D'oh! Darn that Delacroix!
I second that sentiment.
Welcome back!

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#19 Post by frogman042 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:06 am

clem21 wrote:
frogman042 wrote:I am very certain at this point that he isn't Patrick, but I do look forward to Eddington's reappearence on the bored to let us know when the episodes air.

---Jay
Eddington taped his second time the same day as me and my show is scheduled for May 21st....make of that what you will.
It's always tease, tease tease.

BTW, that week in May is around the due date of my first grandchild - Daniel who was married this past July and my daughter-in-law Raquel are expecting.

---Jay

TheSearchIsOn

#20 Post by TheSearchIsOn » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:25 am

peacock2121 wrote:Welcome back!
Thanks! I keep thinking I'm going to find time to be on more but life keeps getting in the way. The job keeps me busy enough, but this year it seems like I've spent the rest of my time getting one thing or another fixed/replaced at home.

The latest thing to go out is the computer that the kids use. The hard drive crashed last night. It's an old computer, so rather than try replacing the drive we'll be better off to just replace the whole thing. At least it should be a good time to get a new computer. I'm trying to find a good deal on one now.

Anyway, good to see there are still many familiar "faces" around here. I'll try to check in from time to time. If anyone needs me for any reason there are several on here that know how to track me down.
President, Big Taste Nation

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:04 am

clem21 wrote:

---Jay
Since audience members aren't sworn to secrecy and this is a non-spoilerish issue, I'll make it clearer: Patrick is not Eddington.

And to forestall any further speculation, I'll add that we have not seen Eddington's first episode air yet.

MarleysGh0st

#22 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:16 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K If you draw a straight line on a map from Austin, Texas to Des Moines, Iowa, the line won’t pass through which of these states?
A. Missouri
B. Oklahoma
C. Kansas
D. Nebraska

ATA (7)

37% A. Missouri
15% B. Oklahoma
10% C. Kansas
38% D. Nebraska

DD (5)

Spoiler
D. Nebraska (1)
elwing said this was the type of question her geography teacher in college liked to ask.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this question. I like geography questions, but I think this particular one, especially under the pressure of the damned clock, was pretty brutal. I had the right answer, basically from remembering that Iowa is north of Missouri, while Nebraska is west of Iowa, but the "straight line" from Austin to Des Moines is not a line running due north! In fact, it appears that the north-northeasterly line runs fairly close to the southeastern corner of Nebraska; if they had chosen some more western city in Texas, like Amarillo, that straight line could have passed through all four of the listed states!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#23 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:24 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
A. Missouri
B. Oklahoma
C. Kansas
D. Nebraska

ATA (7)

37% A. Missouri
15% B. Oklahoma
10% C. Kansas
38% D. Nebraska

DD (5)

Spoiler
D. Nebraska (1)
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this question. I like geography questions, but I think this particular one, especially under the pressure of the damned clock, was pretty brutal. I had the right answer, basically from remembering that Iowa is north of Missouri, while Nebraska is west of Iowa, but the "straight line" from Austin to Des Moines is not a line running due north! In fact, it appears that the north-northeasterly line runs fairly close to the southeastern corner of Nebraska; if they had chosen some more western city in Texas, like Amarillo, that straight line could have passed through all four of the listed states!
Since I haven't posted yet this morning and need the excuse....

TDC aside, this question is not brutal at all if you know the basic alignment of the four states in question, and the general location of both Austin and Des Moines. Since three of the states are basically in a north-south line with neither jutting out eastward, the answer could not possibly be either Oklahoma or Kansas (Try drawing a line anywhere in the western 2/3 of Oklahoma that will pass through Nebraska but not Oklahoma, and try drawing a line in that same area of Texas that will pass through Kansas but not Oklahoma). That just leaves Nebraska and Missouri, and if you know that Des Moines is situated in central Iowa, and Missouri juts westward in its northwestern corner, it's easy to figure out that Missouri has to be the third state and not Nebraska.

I guess it helps if you're from the area though.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

MarleysGh0st

#24 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:33 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Since I haven't posted yet this morning and need the excuse....

TDC aside, this question is not brutal at all if you know the basic alignment of the four states in question, and the general location of both Austin and Des Moines. Since three of the states are basically in a north-south line with neither jutting out eastward, the answer could not possibly be either Oklahoma or Kansas (Try drawing a line anywhere in the western 2/3 of Oklahoma that will pass through Nebraska but not Oklahoma, and try drawing a line in that same area of Texas that will pass through Kansas but not Oklahoma). That just leaves Nebraska and Missouri, and if you know that Des Moines is situated in central Iowa, and Missouri juts westward in its northwestern corner, it's easy to figure out that Missouri has to be the third state and not Nebraska.

lb13
Oooh, you're engaging in an on-topic thread to keep your streak going! :)

I'm not disputing the correct answer. But try drawing that straight line, then measure how close it passes to the southeastern corner of Nebraska. Then tell me if that's only worth $25K.

For $250K, I wouldn't complain.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#25 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:39 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:Since I haven't posted yet this morning and need the excuse....

lb13
Oooh, you're engaging in an on-topic thread to keep your streak going! :)

I'm not disputing the correct answer. But try drawing that straight line, then measure how close it passes to the southeastern corner of Nebraska. Then tell me if that's only worth $25K.

For $250K, I wouldn't complain.
The straight line may very well pass close to the border of Nebraska....

But tell me it's more likely, if you thought it out just in your head, that it would pass through Nebraska, but not Missouri.... especially given the fact that if it passed through the southeastern tip of Nebraska, it would still most likely pass through Missouri on its way to Iowa (We are still under my basic assumption that Oklahoma and Kansas logically make no sense, and it must be either NE or MO)....

This question is all about knowing the positioning of states and reasoning based on such. A Q more suited for the pre-clock era, yes, but not the monster you make it out to be.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com