Today's Show -- 11/19/07 -- Second Chance Contestant

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheConfessor

Today's Show -- 11/19/07 -- Second Chance Contestant

#1 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:30 pm

MINOR SPOILER ALERT

+

+

+

+

Today's show features the return of Anne Boyd, who was brought back because of a bad $25K question last season. Has this been discussed, or were the details lost when the old board died? Does anyone remember what her bad question was? I suspect I was part of the discussion at the time, but I don't recall the question.

I know that there have been several contestants who returned because of a bad question. Have any of the return appearances been broadcast, other than mine?

SPOILER ALERT
On today's show, I was surprised that Anne, a retired chemist, would ask the audience on a chemistry question. They were about as good as we've come to expect on science questions.

I'm still unpacking and catching up on sleep, message boards, and e-mail after returning from Ireland and the UK, where I attended the European Quiz Championships in Blackpool. Ken Jennings and Bob Harris both wrote entertaining accounts of it in their blogs. I also got a great tour of Liverpool and saw some beauty and ugliness in Northern Ireland.

By the way, today's show already has a transcript at:
http://gskingdom.blogspot.com/
I wouldn't have known that except that I googled Anne Boyd's name and that was one of the results. I'm very surprised that Google would already know about a blog post that can't be more than a couple hours old.

mikehardware

#2 Post by mikehardware » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:37 pm

From 3/2/2007

25K Which of these US bodies of water is also known as the "Sea of Cortes"?
A San Francisco Bay
B Gulf of California
C Tampa Bay
D Gulf of Mexico

The answer was B Gulf of California.

TheConfessor

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:38 pm

mikehardware wrote:From 3/2/2007

25K Which of these US bodies of water is also known as the "Sea of Cortes"?
A San Francisco Bay
B Gulf of California
C Tampa Bay
D Gulf of Mexico

The answer was B Gulf of California.
Oh yeah, thanks. I remember that one. I think I pointed out the error.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:39 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Anne posted at the Old Bored® before?

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:50 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Anne posted at the Old Bored® before?
Yes, she did, and expressed thanks to all those who weighed in on her question. As TheConfessor noted, he was the first to suggest that the question was flawed and recommended that she contact the show. As I recall, Anne posted to let us know that she had been asked back.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

Re: Today's Show -- 11/19/07 -- Second Chance Contestant

#6 Post by gsabc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:53 pm

TheConfessor wrote:MINOR SPOILER ALERT

+

+

+

+

Today's show features the return of Anne Boyd, who was brought back because of a bad $25K question last season. Has this been discussed, or were the details lost when the old board died? Does anyone remember what her bad question was? I suspect I was part of the discussion at the time, but I don't recall the question.

I know that there have been several contestants who returned because of a bad question. Have any of the return appearances been broadcast, other than mine?

SPOILER ALERT
On today's show, I was surprised that Anne, a retired chemist, would ask the audience on a chemistry question. They were about as good as we've come to expect on science questions.
Must have been an organic chemist before retirement. We tend to ignore the periodic table other than CHNOPS.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.