Transcript 11/26/08 - Ann Ward

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/26/08 - Ann Ward

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:17 pm

Ann Ward
Southbury, CT
Stay-at-home mom

Ann has six children at home, ranging in age from 2 to 17. Her category tree:

Brainiacs
Animal Lovers
Young Einsteins
MP3s
Odd Names
Adult Entertainment
2008 Flicks
Printing Money
From the French
Movie Quotables
Business Firsts
Lightning Fast
Symbols
In a Jiffy
Rush Hour

$100 (Rush Hour): In 2008, Rush Limbaugh signed a contract that gives him what job title for eight more years?
A. Airline pilot B. Radio host
C. TV chef D. America's Next Top Model
Spoiler
B. Radio host (7)
$200 (In a Jiffy): Popcorn is made by doing what to kernels of corn?
A. Heating them B. Freezing them
C. Flattening them D. Blending them
Spoiler
A. Heating them (9)
$300 (Symbols): "IDEO locator" is the fancy term for the "You Are Here" arrow often seen on a what?
A. Refrigerator B. Business card
C. Map D. Toilet
Spoiler
C. Map (7)
$500 (Lightning Fast): Capable of 1,000 trillion calculations per second, the machine believed to be the world's faster computer has what apt name?
A. Opossum B. Roadrunner
C. Armadillo D. Rhinoceros
Spoiler
B. Roadrunner (8)
$1,000 (Business Firsts): In 1988, Joe Boxer became the first U.S. company to make glow-in-the-dark what?
A. Telephones B. Sneakers
C. Underwear D. Pencils
Spoiler
C. Underwear (9)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Meredith asks what the grocery bills are like around Ann's house, and Ann replies that last year they averaged about $1,600 per month. Ann would also like to add on to the house, so the kids won't all have to share rooms.

$2,000 (Movie Quotables): In the classic film "Dirty Harry," what question follows the iconic line "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'"
A. Well, do ya, buddy? B. Well, do ya, punk?
C. Well, do ya, sport? D. Well, do ya, pal?
Spoiler
B. Well, do ya, punk? (21)
$4,000 (From the French): From the French for "half-cup," a demitasse is commonly a small serving of what?
A. Soup B. Wine
C. Milk D. Coffee

Ann chooses to ATA (17 sec):

A. Soup - 2%
B. Wine - 5%
C. Milk - 1%
D. Coffee - 92%
Spoiler
D. Coffee (14)
$8,000 (Printing Money): Issued in 2008, the new U.S. five-dollar bill features an enlarged "easy-to-read" number "5" printed in what color ink?
A. Purple B. Yellow
C. Orange D. Silver

Ann decides to ATE with 8 seconds left. Will Shortz (editor of the NY Times Crossword Puzzle) says that "$5 bills are not that common....I just had a $5 bill last night, too. Ann, I just don't know."

Ann then chooses to PAF (6 sec). Standing by are: Ann's husband, David (Southbury, CT); her father-in-law, Robert (Cheshire, CT); and her friend, Cindy (Sandy Hook, CT). Ann chooses to call her husband, David. Ann asks if he has a $5 handy, since she needs to know what the easy-to-read number is on it, and lists the answers. David immediately says the right answer, which Ann goes with.
Spoiler
A. Purple (4)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

In preparation for coming to play Millionaire, Ann did something she normally doesn't do: she got a manicure (her third, after her wedding and an anniversary gift from her husband). Her 12-year-old son told her not to giggle randomly, since it would scare the host.

$16,000 (2008 Flicks): What actor donned fake chest hair and a bald cap for a cameo in the 2008 comedy "Tropic Thunder"?
A. Tom Cruise B. Brad Pitt
C. Matt Damon D. George Clooney

Ann didn't see the movie, but chooses to take the DD (17 sec). Her first choice is the correct choice.
Spoiler
A. Tom Cruise (17)

$25,000 (Adult Entertainment): What children's book author also wrote a risque' book for adults titled "The Seven Lady Godivas"?
A. Maurice Sendak B. Roald Dahl
C. Shel Silverstein D. Dr. Seuss

Ann has an idea, but doesn't want to risk it, and she chooses to walk with $16,000.
Spoiler
D. Dr. Seuss (9)

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 11/26/08 - Ann Ward

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:10 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ann Ward
Southbury, CT
Southbury is a few miles south-southwest of Waterbury. Is this considered WE® territory?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Brainiacs
Animal Lovers
Young Einsteins
MP3s
Odd Names
Adult Entertainment
2008 Flicks
Printing Money
From the French
Movie Quotables
Business Firsts
Lightning Fast
Symbols
In a Jiffy
Rush Hour
I'm bad with recent movies. I'm even worse with adult entertainment.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 (Rush Hour): In 2008, Rush Limbaugh signed a contract that gives him what job title for eight more years?
E. Drug-addled gasbag
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 (Symbols): "IDEO locator" is the fancy term for the "You Are Here" arrow often seen on a what?
C. Map D. Toilet
First time in a while that a joke answer has appeared in a $300 question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 (Lightning Fast): Capable of 1,000 trillion calculations per second, the machine believed to be the world's faster computer has what apt name?
A. Opossum B. Roadrunner
Why did the writers feel the need to say "1,000 trillion" when it's more appropriate to say "1 quadrillion"?

$4K: I can eliminate milk, but I'll also have to ask the audience.

$16K: Damn... this would've been a perfect ATA question. Let's try Will. Hopefully, he'd give an answer so that I wouldn't be forced to use PAF.

$25K: Dr. Seuss seemed like such an oddball choice amongst the four that it just had to be the correct answer. If I still have the PAF, I would use it to confirm. If not, then burn the Double Dip.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:38 am

Southbury, CT
Stay-at-home mom

Ann has six children at home, ranging in age from 2 to 17. Her category tree:

Brainiacs
There's that "Brainiacs" category again. I really hope someone gets this question some day.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 (Printing Money): Issued in 2008, the new U.S. five-dollar bill features an enlarged "easy-to-read" number "5" printed in what color ink?
A. Purple B. Yellow
C. Orange D. Silver

Ann decides to ATE with 8 seconds left. Will Shortz (editor of the NY Times Crossword Puzzle) says that "$5 bills are not that common....I just had a $5 bill last night, too. Ann, I just don't know."

Ann then chooses to PAF (6 sec). Standing by are: Ann's husband, David (Southbury, CT); her father-in-law, Robert (Cheshire, CT); and her friend, Cindy (Sandy Hook, CT). Ann chooses to call her husband, David. Ann asks if he has a $5 handy, since she needs to know what the easy-to-read number is on it, and lists the answers. David immediately says the right answer, which Ann goes with.
Spoiler
A. Purple (4)
Given the pressure of TDC® I can see why Ann went with lifelines. But if one takes time one can eliminate some of the choices simply because of the "easy-to-read" descriptor. It would tend to preclude yellow or orange. As for Will's statement about $5 bills not being all that common, all I can say is that I collect money for our church's Wednesday suppers and I end up with a lot of $1s and $20s but not very many $5s.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (Adult Entertainment): What children's book author also wrote a risque' book for adults titled "The Seven Lady Godivas"?
A. Maurice Sendak B. Roald Dahl
C. Shel Silverstein D. Dr. Seuss

Ann has an idea, but doesn't want to risk it, and she chooses to walk with $16,000.
Spoiler
D. Dr. Seuss (9)
Not in my wildest dreams would I have come up with the right answer - I was leaning toward Dahl because he wrote the screenplay for "You Only Live Twice". But in this instance it would be time for a lifeline and the only one I would trust is PAF.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:36 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
Southbury, CT
Southbury is a few miles south-southwest of Waterbury. Is this considered WE® territory?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Brainiacs
Animal Lovers
Young Einsteins
MP3s
Odd Names
Adult Entertainment
2008 Flicks
Printing Money
From the French
Movie Quotables
Business Firsts
Lightning Fast
Symbols
In a Jiffy
Rush Hour
I'm bad with recent movies. I'm even worse with adult entertainment.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 (Rush Hour): In 2008, Rush Limbaugh signed a contract that gives him what job title for eight more years?
E. Drug-addled gasbag
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 (Symbols): "IDEO locator" is the fancy term for the "You Are Here" arrow often seen on a what?
C. Map D. Toilet
First time in a while that a joke answer has appeared in a $300 question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 (Lightning Fast): Capable of 1,000 trillion calculations per second, the machine believed to be the world's faster computer has what apt name?
A. Opossum B. Roadrunner
Why did the writers feel the need to say "1,000 trillion" when it's more appropriate to say "1 quadrillion"?

$4K: I can eliminate milk, but I'll also have to ask the audience.

$16K: Damn... this would've been a perfect ATA question. Let's try Will. Hopefully, he'd give an answer so that I wouldn't be forced to use PAF.

$25K: Dr. Seuss seemed like such an oddball choice amongst the four that it just had to be the correct answer. If I still have the PAF, I would use it to confirm. If not, then burn the Double Dip.
The writers probably didn't choose the 1000 trillion verbiage. Computer people have just kind of gotten used to the "tera" prefix on things like instructions-per-second, and so they probably haven't tacked on the new prefix yet (which I think is "exa"). Since Roadrunner is the new speed champ, the previous recordholder was probably still in the hundreds or even tens of trillions. Still, given the tech people's love of new jargon, I'm guessing exaflops and exabytes are just around the verbal corner.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:39 am

In all honesty, even from the comfort of the living room chair, I believe I would have confidently answered Shel Silverstein without using any lifelines. You all then would have been able to witness one of those classic llama moments that I have in my worst nightmares -- the frozen smile, the attempt at the stiff upper lip, all the while seeing another life dream shattered by hubris.

OK, so maybe that's a LEETLE dramatic....
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:17 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
Southbury, CT
The writers probably didn't choose the 1000 trillion verbiage. Computer people have just kind of gotten used to the "tera" prefix on things like instructions-per-second, and so they probably haven't tacked on the new prefix yet (which I think is "exa"). Since Roadrunner is the new speed champ, the previous recordholder was probably still in the hundreds or even tens of trillions. Still, given the tech people's love of new jargon, I'm guessing exaflops and exabytes are just around the verbal corner.
I think "peta" is the next step after "tera".

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:26 am

You're probably right. I was too lazy to look it up, and I know exa, tera, and peta are all there together.

So does that mean if a 2015 computer user reaches one quadrillion files on his computer, he'll have to register as a sex offender? :wink:

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:11 am

mrkelley23 wrote:You're probably right. I was too lazy to look it up, and I know exa, tera, and peta are all there together.

So does that mean if a 2015 computer user reaches one quadrillion files on his computer, he'll have to register as a sex offender? :wink:
This just in - the Department of Energy announced last week that they have a Jaguar supercomputer that can do 1.64 petaflops, which would surpass the Roadrunner.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:41 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
Southbury, CT
Yes, I think that's still within the WABC viewing area, which is our more general definition for Where Else. They might also be able to pick up TV signals from Hartford, there. In any event, it's an easy commute to the city.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:43 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:In preparation for coming to play Millionaire, Ann did something she normally doesn't do: she got a manicure (her third, after her wedding and an anniversary gift from her husband). Her 12-year-old son told her not to giggle randomly, since it would scare the host.
Ann's son apparently isn't familiar with the personality quirks that Meredith and the APs love. :P