Transcript 11/28/08 Stephen Hagan

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/28/08 Stephen Hagan

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:38 pm

Stephen Hagan
Highland Mill, NY
NYC fire lieutenant

Stephen has all of his lifelines.

Meredith introduces today’s ATE, $100K “Millionaire” winner, Tom Spenser

Topic Tree:

Frozen Solid
It's Not the Heat
Soccer
Language
Sherlock Holmes
Famous Logos
Celebrity Kids
The 60s
Delicious Dish
Sitcoms
(Boy Scouts)
(Museums)
(Ad Slogans)
(School's Out!)
(A Sight to See)

$2K As its title implies, the sitcom “Samantha Who?” stars Christina Applegate as a woman dealing with what condition?
A. Insomnia
B. Color blindness
C. Claustrophobia
D. Amnesia
Spoiler
D. Amnesia (22)
$4K What is the common name for a dish of rice that has been cooked with onion, green pepper, tomato and seasonings?
A. Swedish rice
B. Irish rice
C. Spanish rice
D. Japanese rice
Spoiler
C. Spanish rice (22)
$8K What famous American penned the 1962 book “A Study of Communism” and the 1965 report “Crime in the United States”?
A. Nelson Rockefeller
B. Robert Kennedy
C. J. Edgar Hoover
D. Spiro Agnew

ATE (21)

Tom says that this is a great question. He believes its Robert Kennedy, but he is not 100% sure.
Stephen asks Tom how sure and Tom replies he is a little over 50% sure.

PAF (15)

Stephen’s PAF team:

Jeanne from Canton, GA – Stephen’s sister and a chemist
Geri from Douglaston, NY – Stephen’s s-i-l
Fred from Las Vegas, NV – Stephen’s f-i-l

PAF – Geri

Stephen: Who wrote “A Study of Communism”? 1962. “A Study of Communism”.
Geri: OK. Choices?

As soon as Stephen finishes reading the choices, Geri says Hoover.

Spoiler
C. J. Edgar Hoover (12)
commercial break

$16K In 2008, actress Nicole Kidman gave birth to a baby girl who shares her name with what day of the week?
A. Tuesday
B. Sunday
C. Friday
D. Wednesday

ATA (21)

24% A. Tuesday
67% B. Sunday
3% C. Friday
6% D. Wednesday

Spoiler
B. Sunday (16)
$25K The FedEx logo famously features what symbol features what symbol “sandwiched” between two of its letters?
A. Arrow
B. Star
C. Exclamation point
D. Lightning bolt

Stephen says he can’t even narrow it down to two, so he decides to leave with $16K.
Spoiler
A. Arrow (1)

Answers:
$2K D. Amnesia
$4K C. Spanish rice
$8K C. J. Edgar Hoover
$16K B. Sunday
$25K A. Arrow

Kazoo65

Re: Transcript 11/28/08 Stephen Hagan

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:54 pm

I missed today's show thanks to the Nebraska-Colorado football game.

I'm not surprised they asked about what Nicole Kidman named her baby. They already asked about Angelina Jolie's twins and J Lo's twins.

The $25K would have me stumped. ATA and see what happens. If that doesn't work, Double Dip the two highest vote getters.
I'm just a game show nerd.

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:27 pm

$8K: It's either Kennedy or Hoover. I better PAF.

$16K: No freakin' clue. Ask the audience.

$25K: I would've been gone on this question. I thought it was a star--more specifically, an asterisk.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:43 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$8K: It's either Kennedy or Hoover. I better PAF.

$16K: No freakin' clue. Ask the audience.

$25K: I would've been gone on this question. I thought it was a star--more specifically, an asterisk.
I think those were formerly with WalMart.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

doitneatly

#5 Post by doitneatly » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:51 pm

I also missed this episode in my market, but reading the transcript it sounds like this guy played good lifeline strategy, including a googling PAF with whom he'd done some practice. (how many seconds of google time did he buy by only giving ONE book title and date? very smart.)

Bummer on that logo question. If you've ever had that typographic wonder (the whitespace between the last two letters...) pointed out to you even once, it becomes the very first thing you notice everytime you see a FedEx truck driving down the road. It's quite a curse, really. In fact, in the interest of your own sanity, I must suggest that you avoid going to fedex.com to see for yourself.
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:15 am

Holy crap!

I saw the 25K question and was sure it should have been a 2K question.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Shows what I know.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:54 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Stephen Hagan
Highland Mill, NY
NYC fire lieutenant
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K What famous American penned the 1962 book “A Study of Communism” and the 1965 report “Crime in the United States”?
A. Nelson Rockefeller
B. Robert Kennedy
C. J. Edgar Hoover
D. Spiro Agnew

ATE (21)

Tom says that this is a great question. He believes its Robert Kennedy, but he is not 100% sure.
Stephen asks Tom how sure and Tom replies he is a little over 50% sure.

PAF (15)

Stephen’s PAF team:

Jeanne from Canton, GA – Stephen’s sister and a chemist
Geri from Douglaston, NY – Stephen’s s-i-l
Fred from Las Vegas, NV – Stephen’s f-i-l

PAF – Geri

Stephen: Who wrote “A Study of Communism”? 1962. “A Study of Communism”.
Geri: OK. Choices?

As soon as Stephen finishes reading the choices, Geri says Hoover.

Spoiler
C. J. Edgar Hoover (12)

RFK is a good distractor considering he was Attorney-General. But the title of the first book would have given me the clue to go with Hoover.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K In 2008, actress Nicole Kidman gave birth to a baby girl who shares her name with what day of the week?
A. Tuesday
B. Sunday
C. Friday
D. Wednesday

ATA (21)

24% A. Tuesday
67% B. Sunday
3% C. Friday
6% D. Wednesday

Spoiler
B. Sunday (16)

No idea, so time to ATA just as Stephen did.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K The FedEx logo famously features what symbol features what symbol “sandwiched” between two of its letters?
A. Arrow
B. Star
C. Exclamation point
D. Lightning bolt

Stephen says he can’t even narrow it down to two, so he decides to leave with $16K.

Spoiler
A. Arrow (1)

All I can see is FedEx in various colors, no symbols. Time to go with another lifeline, probably PAF.
Last edited by earendel on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:55 am

doitneatly wrote:I also missed this episode in my market, but reading the transcript it sounds like this guy played good lifeline strategy, including a googling PAF with whom he'd done some practice. (how many seconds of google time did he buy by only giving ONE book title and date? very smart.)

Bummer on that logo question. If you've ever had that typographic wonder (the whitespace between the last two letters...) pointed out to you even once, it becomes the very first thing you notice everytime you see a FedEx truck driving down the road. It's quite a curse, really. In fact, in the interest of your own sanity, I must suggest that you avoid going to fedex.com to see for yourself.
I went to the Web site and I don't see it. Not in the slightest.

slam

#9 Post by slam » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:04 pm

earendel wrote:
doitneatly wrote:I also missed this episode in my market, but reading the transcript it sounds like this guy played good lifeline strategy, including a googling PAF with whom he'd done some practice. (how many seconds of google time did he buy by only giving ONE book title and date? very smart.)

It's located between the second E and the x in the logo. The arrow points to the right. The body of the arrow is the white space in the lower point of the E. The head of the arrow is a triangle in the left side of the x.

Let your eyes focus on that white space rather than the E and the x. That may help it appear.

And I had never actually noticed it on my own. A few years ago, my older son pointed it out to me and now, as doitneatly mentioned above, it's now impossible not to notice it.
Last edited by slam on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheConfessor

#10 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:08 pm

earendel wrote:

Others also admit to being oblivious.
http://blahblahblog.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/
I reckon Ken Jennings knew it.

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:00 pm

earendel wrote:

Didn't we all have this discussion a few years ago?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

lv42day

#12 Post by lv42day » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:42 pm

moillusions.com shows the image of the correct answer, along with a lot of other interesting optical illusions. (I had no idea what the answer to the 25K question was, but I would have guessed the right answer. Maybe that image worked its way into my subconscious)

moonie

#13 Post by moonie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:21 am

Missed this as my DVR somehow was not recording this week :(

Highland Mills is a 5 minute drive from Monroe. Just north of the Woodbury Commons Shopping outlets.

I have never seen a symbol in the FedEx logo. I'll have to look now.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lurk i go!

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:36 am

slam wrote:
earendel wrote:

It's located between the second E and the x in the logo. The arrow points to the right. The body of the arrow is the white space in the lower point of the E. The head of the arrow is a triangle in the left side of the x.

Let your eyes focus on that white space rather than the E and the x. That may help it appear.

And I had never actually noticed it on my own. A few years ago, my older son pointed it out to me and now, as doitneatly mentioned above, it's now impossible not to notice it.
I still don't see it - but then again I don't do well with visual stuff. I can never see those 3-D art things that used to run in the newspaper, either.

NellyLunatic1980

#15 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:53 am

earendel wrote:
slam wrote:
earendel wrote: I went to the Web site and I don't see it. Not in the slightest.

I still don't see it - but then again I don't do well with visual stuff. I can never see those 3-D art things that used to run in the newspaper, either.
This might help:

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:01 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
earendel wrote:
slam wrote: It's located between the second E and the x in the logo. The arrow points to the right. The body of the arrow is the white space in the lower point of the E. The head of the arrow is a triangle in the left side of the x.

This might help:

It might if I could access photobucket.

NellyLunatic1980

#17 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:19 am

earendel wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
earendel wrote: I still don't see it - but then again I don't do well with visual stuff. I can never see those 3-D art things that used to run in the newspaper, either.
This might help:

Crap... I forgot that you told me that the last time I hosted the QOD.

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:30 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
earendel wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote: This might help:

Can you access the FedEx site, itself, ear?

I can't recall ever noticing that "sandwiching" before. Under the pressure of the damned clock, I doubt that I'd ever have noticed that hint in the question.

earendel

#19 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:07 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
earendel wrote: It might if I could access photobucket.

I can't recall ever noticing that "sandwiching" before. Under the pressure of the damned clock, I doubt that I'd ever have noticed that hint in the question.
Yes, and even looking straight at the logo I just don't see any arrow. FWIW I don't see the "rabbit/duck" or "face/vase" as either one - I always see it as just one (though it differs from one viewing to the next).

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:20 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote: Crap... I forgot that you told me that the last time I hosted the QOD.

Yes, and even looking straight at the logo I just don't see any arrow. FWIW I don't see the "rabbit/duck" or "face/vase" as either one - I always see it as just one (though it differs from one viewing to the next).
Let's make this a "1st Grade Art" question, then! :wink:

Print out the logo, then take a red crayon (or a pen) and shade in all the white space between the 'E' and the 'x'. Then tell me what that shaded in area looks like.

earendel

#21 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:03 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Can you access the FedEx site, itself, ear?

Print out the logo, then take a red crayon (or a pen) and shade in all the white space between the 'E' and the 'x'. Then tell me what that shaded in area looks like.
Ah, now I get it. But when I go back and look at the logo I don't see the arrow.

MarleysGh0st

#22 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:16 am

earendel wrote: Ah, now I get it. But when I go back and look at the logo I don't see the arrow.
Ah, well, I guess your brain just isn't wired right. :P

Those optical illusion thingies are interesting. Like the one found on this page: http://www.visionarts.ca/photoillusion.htm My eye doctor showed me that one when I was ten; like the web page says, I'll instantly recognize what's in the image whenever I see it again. But the first time, it was just a bunch of blotches.

:)

earendel

#23 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:20 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: Ah, now I get it. But when I go back and look at the logo I don't see the arrow.
Ah, well, I guess your brain just isn't wired right. :P

Those optical illusion thingies are interesting. Like the one found on this page: http://www.visionarts.ca/photoillusion.htm My eye doctor showed me that one when I was ten; like the web page says, I'll instantly recognize what's in the image whenever I see it again. But the first time, it was just a bunch of blotches.

:)
I've been told that before - that there's something about my visual system that doesn't allow me to see the "ambiguity" in figures like the "rabbit/duck". Clicking the link you provided led me to the photo; I couldn't tell what it was, either, and I suspect that if I went back in a week I'd not see it then, even after following the instructions on the site.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#24 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:22 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: Yes, and even looking straight at the logo I just don't see any arrow. FWIW I don't see the "rabbit/duck" or "face/vase" as either one - I always see it as just one (though it differs from one viewing to the next).

Ah, now I get it. But when I go back and look at the logo I don't see the arrow.
I did not notice the arrow before, but saw it right away after reading the question commentary....

This is the wicked $25K question of the week, not the Austin to Des Moines piece of fluff.... :P

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:38 am

littlebeast13 wrote: This is the wicked $25K question of the week, not the Austin to Des Moines piece of fluff.... :P
Mini's guests must have been holding her computer hostage for a long time, if you need to banter about transcript questions! :P