Writers Strike and WWTBAM

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
popcultmaven

Writers Strike and WWTBAM

#1 Post by popcultmaven » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:37 pm

A former Millionaire writer talks about the WGA strike:

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2007/1 ... rs_strike/

A current writer is quoted here:

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/healthte ... y/2005827/

silverscreenselect

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:12 am

Public support in the strike has been overwhelmingly for the writers as opposed to the studios.

The studios were suprirsed that the writers were able to shut down so many productions (especially TV shows) as quickly as they have. Last time, a lot of shows were able to find and exploit loopholes in the guild rules to sneak some scripts through. Although that may be happening with a couple of the soap operas this year, most of the major shows are done with, with very few new episodes in the can.

The reason for the writers' success is that so many TV shows are being produced by writers and former writers and they will not bend the rules a bit to keep filming going, nor will the actors continue to work on questionable projects either.

Although the TV networks claim they will be able to provide a meaningful schedule at least through February sweeps, they are running scared, with advertisers already looking for discounts on ad rates for upcoming shows they believe will be poorly rated. Fox still wants to take a fairly hard line because they believe they can get big numbers for American Idol and the rest of their reality programming, but the other networks are worried about (A) burning out hit shows like Dancing with the Stars through overexposure and poorly produced imitators, (B) turning the public off on reality programming in general through overexposure (which began to occur last summer) and (C) an overall loss of viewers to alternate forms of entertainment who may not return even when the strike ends.

Two weeks ago I thought this would be a long bitter strike, but now I think there is a 50/50 chance we could seen the strike end before Xmas which could allow production to resume on a number of series for shows to air in Feb-June.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:25 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Public support in the strike has been overwhelmingly for the writers as opposed to the studios.

. . .

but the other networks are worried about . . . (B) turning the public off on reality programming in general through overexposure (which began to occur last summer) and (C) an overall loss of viewers to alternate forms of entertainment who may not return even when the strike ends.

Two weeks ago I thought this would be a long bitter strike, but now I think there is a 50/50 chance we could seen the strike end before Xmas which could allow production to resume on a number of series for shows to air in Feb-June.
The few people I've talked to about this around here say the studios are a bunch of greedies who won't share revenue fairly unless the writers make them, so they're all for the strike. Those few won't watch reality programming at all, unless you count sports as reality programming. Tonight's Broncos game was the best television I've watched for a week . . . even without Kusch's spread...

I have no idea what the chances are of the strike ending when. I'll leave that to y'all who know a lot more about it than I do.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:46 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Public support in the strike has been overwhelmingly for the writers as opposed to the studios.
I'd like to think that's because the public understands the issue - new revenue streams and how to share them. We'll see how much solidarity there is when the shows go off the air because there are no new episodes.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."