top o' the mornin'®

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

top o' the mornin'®

#1 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:14 am

Freaky weather this week - warm (68) today and even warmer (74) tomorrow, then no higher than the 40s for Thanksgiving day.

On Thanksgiving morning I'll be helping to prepare breakfast for 250 people - our church has a morning worship service of thanksgiving, followed by a breakfast prepared by church members. For the eleventh year in a row I'll be "the egg man" (cook of the scrambled eggs), assisted by five other people who will work on the other elements of the meal - biscuits, garlic cheese grits, bacon, and sausage gravy.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#2 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:43 am

It's amazing how something simple like scrambled eggs turns into something difficult when cooking for a group! You get those people who evidently want to eat them with a straw, and others who apparently want something hard enough to resurface their driveway...

I would put sausage gravy on just about anything but Jello. Yummmm...

christie1111
11:11

Re: top o' the mornin'®

#3 Post by christie1111 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:46 am

earendel wrote:biscuits, garlic cheese grits, bacon, and sausage gravy.
Skip the turkey!

Yummy breakfast!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Appa23

#4 Post by Appa23 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:36 am

earendel wrote:Freaky weather this week - warm (68) today and even warmer (74) tomorrow, then no higher than the 40s for Thanksgiving day.

On Thanksgiving morning I'll be helping to prepare breakfast for 250 people - our church has a morning worship service of thanksgiving, followed by a breakfast prepared by church members. For the eleventh year in a row I'll be "the egg man" (cook of the scrambled eggs), assisted by five other people who will work on the other elements of the meal - biscuits, garlic cheese grits, bacon, and sausage gravy.
Wow! Your church does a much better breakfast than mine.

We had a breakfast last Sunday to kick off the second part of our capital campaign. We had a sausage & egg dish, fresh fruit, and rolls (cinnamon and pecan).

Like I do at my father-in-law's family Christmas dinner, I would avoid the cheese grits, but the rest sounds delicious.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:55 am

Appa23 wrote:Like I do at my father-in-law's family Christmas dinner, I would avoid the cheese grits, but the rest sounds delicious.
I'm not particularly a fan of grits, but these are particularly good.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:57 am

I just can't handle garlic of any kind in the morning. Leave it out and I'll eat the cheese grits. I do applaud those of you doing for others on Thanksgiving.

We do the sausage/egg casserole at our house for Christmas morning, mainly because it can be assembled the night before and bakes in the oven so you don't have to do anything but set the timer.

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:06 am

I won't have the chance to avoid the grits this year.

My wife's uncle passed away earlier this year (a few weeks before our daughter was born). Her aunt suffered a stroke and is in a long-term care facility.

The two daughters are fighting over the parent's money. There is no way that there is going to be a gathering of thet side of the family. :(