For what are you giving thanks?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
nitrah55

For what are you giving thanks?

#1 Post by nitrah55 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:47 am

This could get lost in the parade tomorrow, so I thought I'd pose this today.

This year has been a mixed bag, and my prayers of thanks this year will be mingled with prayers for help.

Beloved Son is coming into himself at school. I do not know where he will end up, but I'm enjoying watching the ride.

My Mom is better, though she has a long way to go.

When I have time to write, it comes out pretty good.

I have people around to share joys and sorrows- that means you, of course.

Thanks.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:06 am

Thanks for starting this Nitrah.

I think we all have good and bad every year. Certainly seems like I do anyway. I do have way more than I deserve. After seeing a 35 year old mother die of breast cancer and just this month having a close friend being diagnosed with lymphoma, I'm putting good health at the top of my thankful list.

I do appreciate all of ya'll here. I can't believe we weathered the demise of another home and now have a nice new one.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

earendel

giving thanks

#3 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:09 am

I, too, have had a mixed year, but I will be thankful for children coming back to the fold, so to speak - one married, and one engaged. I also just learned that my first grandson will probably be born tomorrow - my oldest son's fiancee is going to have her labor induced tomorrow morning early. That means fewer for our Thanksgiving dinner, but a new addition to the family.

I'm also thankful that I have a job, a nice house, and sufficient income for our needs with some left over to give to the less fortunate.

I'm thankful for my church, a "thinking, feeling, healing community of faith" and for its vision.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ksbirchtree

#4 Post by ksbirchtree » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:20 am

I am very thankful for health care professionals. Hubby in the hospital with intestinal crud.... better there than home!

Happy Thanksgiving All!
Live simply.... eat, sleep, quilt!

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:10 pm

A variety of stuff. A son who seems to be getting his life together a bit (thanks in part to the love of a good woman :) ). A daughter with a job and a good head on her shoulders. A future son-in-law who may be able to stay in the states and not be deployed to a hot spot. A beautiful, loving and tolerant (about my 'BAM obsession, among other things) wife. Mothers and other older-generation relatives in reasonably good health (what Mom calls "elderly well"). A job I like. Some money in the bank. Some money toward retirement. A roof over my head with reasonable mortgage payments. It could be better, it could be worse. But yeah, I'm doin' okay. And very, very thankful for it.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#6 Post by AnnieCamaro » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:29 pm

I am thankful to have my laptop back. (I'm also glad to have my mom home again, but that's not the same thing as thankful, because she promised she'd be back and she wouldn't lie to me.)

I am thankful to have my baby sister Lizbit, because I like teaching her things, and she really needs the teaching. I am thankful for my brother Rusty, because he's nice, and he plays with Lizbit when I get tired. I'm thankful for my sister Irish, because she's crabby and makes the rest of us look more polite by comparison. I still miss Tigger and Ashley, but I am thankful for all the wonderful stories that Tigs thought into my eyelids, and I am thankful that Ashley taught me how to be brave even when everything hurts. I am thankful for all my friends.

I am thankful for getting food in a bowl instead of having to hunt for it in the street. I am thankful for Mr. Mozart and music. I am thankful to be alive.

I am thankful. That's the kind of girl I am.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

marrymeflyfree

#7 Post by marrymeflyfree » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:43 pm

I am thankful that my family and friends are enjoying good health and content lives, save for two. My cousin's infant, born 3 days ago, was flown from Knoxville to Atlanta for open heart surgery. I am thankful that he has access to good medical care and hopeful that he will join us in good health soon. I'm thankful that my aunt is now mostly-recovered from the lymphocytic leukemia that she has battled during much of the year.

I'm thankful for my aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and what have you. They happily come to the mountains for a weekend every year in early November for an early Turkey Day, just so I can have a holiday with them.

I thank the stars for helping me stumble upon my one and only, and thankful that we are together and happy. And thankful that Cletus the Fetus seems to be happily growing without too many issues for its mom. Except for the gas. Pardon me. And I am thankful that I can take so much time for leave after Cletus's arrival without losing my job! Seems rare around here these days, and I am lucky.

5LD

#8 Post by 5LD » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:58 pm

Hundreds of things to be thankful for.....

A brilliant, sweet son who surprises me everyday and loves his mother and father AND sister and tells us regularly.

A charming bubbly baby girl who has given us 366 days of joy as of today.
For her continuing good health and the progress she has made this year.

For my wonderful husband who would rather be playing piano or talking about Thomas Cole or anything other than working his job. He gets up every day and goes to the office so that I can stay at home and take care of our kids.

For our new home and our relaxed and much easier lifestyle in Ohio.

For inlaws nearby who occasionally enjoy watching the kids.

For all of our friends and family and the mostly good health we all are blessed with.

For the lack of window coverings in our new house that make each sunrise and sunset a major event in my day. It's wonderful to be reminded of the amazing world around us that we continue to enjoy.

For laughter

For this Bored and others I frequent.

For coffee. With creamer.

For the rare glass of red wine.

For chocolate covered almonds.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:30 pm

5LD wrote:For the lack of window coverings in our new house that make each sunrise and sunset a major event in my day. It's wonderful to be reminded of the amazing world around us that we continue to enjoy.
Yes, but are your neighbors thankful? :P

ne1410s

#10 Post by ne1410s » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:36 pm

I am thankful that my MIL, who had a heart attack at our house a month ago, is doing fine. (Stent/stint inserted).

I am thankful that my lovely wife of 40 years is recovering from dislocating her artificial hip--first problem with THIS artificial hip in 20 years. (Thank you Mayo Clinic for your original excellent work.)

I am thankful that my BIL, who is recovering from colon cancer surgery, seems to be making progress although he must now go through 6 weeks of chemo because of a lymph node thing.

I am thankful that #1 son, in Afghanistan, seems to be happy and safe--at least that's what he tells us.

I am thankful that #2 son, the prison guard, er, excuse me Correctional Officer!! at Pekin, IL Federal Correctional Institution seems to be happy and safe--at least that's what he tells us.

I am thankful for this board that lets me rant and rave when I get stressed about all of the above.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:31 am

I am thankful an old friend shared this thing called the est training with me in 1980. I am thankful that the company survived and now thrives so I can continue to create possibility where I might not otherwise see any.

I am thankful for the love my family has for me.

I am thankful that I was born in a country where we don't have to kill each other because we don't agree.

I am thankful for the choices I never had to make. I am thankful for being able to make the choices I did make.

I am thankful for my Amy and how our friendship has deepened this last year.

I am thankful for each of you - even the ones I ignore and the ones who ignore me. I am thankful for the distinctions - without them, we are bland. I am thankful I am not bland.

I am thankful for my health and the health of my loved ones.

christie1111
11:11

#12 Post by christie1111 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:04 am

I am so very thankful for all that I am so lucky to have.

The health of my family. Daughter1111 had it rough this year, but it was really so minor when of all the possibilities are so scary. Son1111 gave us trouble in the start of the school year, but the butt kicking seems to be working. Husband1111 is in good health and puts up with me on a daily basis.

I am grateful that I am now working at a permanent job (whatever that means) after almost 2 years after the lay-off. With nice people at a company that appears to value the other parts of your life.

I love my home and all the comfort it gives me and Family1111.

I am thankful that I can enjoy the ability to buy fabric and sew it into things that keep other people warm or bring a smile to their faces.

I am very thankful that TubaDave and others who worked so hard to make sure we had a place to come together. I know how anxious I was when I couldn't get here for awhile and am glad it wasn't a permanent thing.

Love you guys!

And Happy Thanksgiving!

"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Kazoo65

re: for what are you giving thanks?

#13 Post by Kazoo65 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:15 pm

I'm thankful for:

my dog (she's sitting on my lap right now)
food to eat (we're having ham on Turkey Day- I know, sort of non-traditional!)
being able to use my brain (especially while watching BAM, J!, and 5th Grader-while yelling at people who apparently don't know how to use theirs!)
this bored-where else could you find a bunch of people who are similary obessessed with game shows?
my family
living in the USA and remembering those (such as my cousin, who just came back from a second tour in Afghanistan last month) who risk their lives to defend it.
modern technology
a warm place to sleep at night
I'm just a game show nerd.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:16 pm

I don't want to repeat what others have said, but I ditto most of theirs.

I'm thankful that we have another day to play with all the weirdness and wonder that is/are our lives, that we have family and friends to share the weirdness.

That regardless of whatever illness may loom, something worse could happen.

That at some point children will be functioning adults and during the process of becoming that they give us love, huge laughter, insights and make us stronger as parents.

I love you man!
Well, then

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#15 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:06 pm

-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

mellytu74

#16 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:42 pm

Spent the last two days scanning and captioning pictures for my cousin's on-line family album. The whole project was started after TLAF's birthday.

SO, I am thankful...

1) For a healthy family, with lots of cousins with funny stories and basically good kids.

2) That TLAF is still around to tell stories and fill in the gaps.

3) That I found the love of my life three years ago -- at an age when one might think that sort of romantic notion had passed her by.

4) That TLAf hated riveting school and ended up in the payroll department, where she met The Boyfriend's late wife's mother, who became her lifelong friend. Without that friendship, I'm not sure that #3 happens.

5) That I am able to watch The Merry Man parade.

6) That I can come here and read and laugh and sympathize. Even if I always don't post.

Happy Thanksgiving, kids. Those of you travelling, be safe.

Hugs,
Melly, TLAF, The Boyfriend and Miss Denise.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#17 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:52 pm

For what am I giving thanks?

Everything. Absolutely everything, including all of you.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, except our Canadian friends to whom I wish a Wonderful Thursday.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:22 am

I'm thankful that my family is all back together again, in town and in good health.

That I finally have a job that treats its employees like valued assets and not disposable rubbish and that I have gotten the first book that I co-authored published already.

That in less than one year we will elect someone who will begin to get our country out of its long nightmare.

And, most of all, that after 23 Thanksgivings, I still have the privilege and honor of calling the most beautiful, loving, caring, and wonderful woman in the world my wife.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#19 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:19 am

I am thankful for my beautiful, intelligent, spunky children. I am thankful that they are both happy and in a really good place in their lives.