Transcript 12/02/2008 Bob Wirges

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/02/2008 Bob Wirges

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Bob Wirges
Cape May, NJ

Age 77, married 54 years

Once hung out with Bill Cosby, handed him one of his cigars, and Cosby gave him back a bunch of them as Cosby's were better cigars. Did he keep any of them? No they were all smoked a long time ago.

Frozen Solid
You Said It!
Advanced Anatomy
States of the Union
Oprah’s Book Club
Sturdy Structures
Grammy Winners
Koi
Dogs on Film
Honchos
(At the Ball Game)
(Bottoms Up!)
(Classic TV)
(It’s Criminal)
(Good Advice)

Expert, $500K winner Jeff Gross, is introduced.

$2000 (Honchos):
In the 1980s, what country was run by a head of state whom Americans referred to as "Gorby"?
A. South Africa B. Great Britain
C. Cuba D. Soviet Union
Spoiler
D. Soviet Union (23)

$4000 (Dogs on Film):
Of the following films, which is the only one that is actually about dogs?
A. Dog Day Afternoon B. Reservoir Dogs
C. Snow Dogs D. Wag the Dog
Spoiler
C. Snow Dogs (22)

$8000 (Koi):
Often called the "poor man's koi," shubunkin is a popular variety of what?
A. Hamster B. Goldfish
C. Guinea pig D. Ferret
Spoiler
B. Goldfish [18]

$16K (Grammy Winners):
Perhaps inspired by one of her musical idols, what is the title of the debut album by controversial pop singer Amy Winehouse?
A. Frank B. Ray
C. Ella D. Billie

ATA (22)
ATA
A-15% B-17% C-28% D-40%
Mere: This is not great (reads off #s) then says the 'majority' is Billie but it is not a great number, it's a number
Bob: I haven't the foggiest notion but your audiences always have been so good.
result
A. Frank (Bob answered D at :11)

Bob leaves with $1000

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 12/02/2008 Bob Wirges

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:13 am

$16K: This was a WWOQ®. I had no clue at all on this question, so I also would've asked the audience and gotten an old-fashioned dursting.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:55 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Bob Wirges
Cape May, NJ

Age 77, married 54 years

Once hung out with Bill Cosby, handed him one of his cigars, and Cosby gave him back a bunch of them as Cosby's were better cigars. Did he keep any of them? No they were all smoked a long time ago.
Back to the "celebrity hook" idea. Coincidentally the returning J! champ had a celebrity hook as well - she had a run-in with Groucho Marx.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K (Grammy Winners):
Perhaps inspired by one of her musical idols, what is the title of the debut album by controversial pop singer Amy Winehouse?
A. Frank B. Ray
C. Ella D. Billie

ATA (22)
ATA
A-15% B-17% C-28% D-40%
Mere: This is not great (reads off #s) then says the 'majority' is Billie but it is not a great number, it's a number
result
I'd have used ATA as well, but given those low percentages I'd have gone with another lifeline (probably PAF). Interestingly the right answer only got the fourth-most audience votes. I wonder if Jeff would have known the answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:45 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K (Grammy Winners):
A. Frank B. Ray
C. Ella D. Billie

ATA (22)
ATA
A-15% B-17% C-28% D-40%
result
I'd have used ATA as well, but given those low percentages I'd have gone with another lifeline (probably PAF). Interestingly the right answer only got the fourth-most audience votes. I wonder if Jeff would have known the answer.
I'd have followed it up with a second lifeline, too; hopefully not the Double Dip, with the right answer being in 4th place. A Google PAF would have been a great help, here.

Very tough break for Bob. It doesn't pay to listen to Meredith's banter about how brilliant the audience always is. :(

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:58 am

Cape May, NJ

$16K (Grammy Winners):
A. Frank B. Ray
C. Ella D. Billie
Considering that it's Amy Winehouse, it was more likely named after what she ate for lunch. The ATA results show off her popularity among the WWTBAM live audience demographic. Might have been worth looking around at the ages of the audience members.

I'd have gotten dursted as well, unless I was smart enough to use my Googling PAF. Not a WWOQ, perhaps, but definitely a lifeline burner for anyone over the age of 25.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:33 pm

gsabc wrote:
Cape May, NJ

$16K (Grammy Winners):
A. Frank B. Ray
C. Ella D. Billie
Considering that it's Amy Winehouse, it was more likely named after what she ate for lunch. The ATA results show off her popularity among the WWTBAM live audience demographic. Might have been worth looking around at the ages of the audience members.

I'd have gotten dursted as well, unless I was smart enough to use my Googling PAF. Not a WWOQ, perhaps, but definitely a lifeline burner for anyone over the age of 25.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#7 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:33 pm

gsabc wrote:
Cape May, NJ

$16K (Grammy Winners):
A. Frank B. Ray
C. Ella D. Billie

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#8 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:34 pm

gsabc wrote:
Cape May, NJ

$16K (Grammy Winners):
A. Frank B. Ray
C. Ella D. Billie

She had a frankfurter for lunch?

madamemeisha

#9 Post by madamemeisha » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:35 pm

I guess this shows my age, but I thought it was a gimme question. Totally easy. Considering how popular her Back to Black album was, this ATA response surprised me.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 pm

madamemeisha wrote:I guess this shows my age, but I thought it was a gimme question. Totally easy. Considering how popular her Back to Black album was, this ATA response surprised me.
I'm guessing about 15% of the audience was in your age group, that day. (Or a little less, considering that someone might have guessed the right answer at random.) :wink:

There may also have been some sexism working for the distractors, with the assumption that a female singer would have another female as her idol.

madamemeisha

#11 Post by madamemeisha » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:03 pm

Well, she also has a style kind of similar to Billie Holiday, only of course more modern and rough. I guess I can see why that would be such a big distractor.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#12 Post by secondchance » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:56 pm

Poop, I really wanted to see this guy go farther. :?

I loved the Back To Black CD, but am not familiar with Frank.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#13 Post by Estonut » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:00 am

Second Chance wrote:I loved the Back To Black CD, but am not familiar with Frank.
I believe Frank wasn't available in the U.S. until after the success of BtB, despite being recorded earlier.