Transcript 12/3/08 - Lloyd Weber

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/3/08 - Lloyd Weber

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:56 pm

Lloyd Weber
Fridley, MN
Dentist

Lloyd is a father of 8, grandfather of 13 and has been a dentist (a profession he loves, partly because your patients don't die) for 43 years.

His category tree:

Animal Lovers
Break a Leg!
Fear Itself
Name's the Same
Pull Up a Chair
Words to the Wise
From Italia
The Gift of the Magi
Celebrity Splits
Foreign Conflicts
Bundles of Joy
Siblings
Signs of Life
Rachael Says
Lance Armstrong

$100 (Lance Armstrong): In 2000, Lance Armstrong penned a best-selling memoir with the apt title "It's Not About the" what?
A. Guitar B. Bike
C. Camera D. Shaved Legs
Spoiler
B. Bike (7)
$200 (Rachael Says): According to Rachael Ray, a dish that needs "a little S and P" is in need of salt and what else?
A. Pesto B. Pickles
C. Pepper D. Paprika
Spoiler
C. Pepper (10)
$300 (Signs of Life): SETI, a group whose name is short for "Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence," primarily searches for extraterrestrial intelligence where?
A. Outer Space B. Antacrtica
C. The rain forest D. The ocean
Spoiler
A. Outer Space (8)
$500 (Siblings): A cowriter of the Tom Hanks comedy "Big," Anne Spielberg is the sister of a six-time Oscar nominee in what category?
A. Best Actor B. Best Costume Design
C. Best Director D. Best Song

Lloyd chooses to ATA with 7 seconds left:

A. Best Actor - 7%
B. Best Costume Design - 3%
C. Best Director - 88%
D. Best Song - 2%
Spoiler
C. Best Director (5)
$1,000 (Bundles of Joy): As many new mothers can tell you, Baby Orajel is a topical anesthetic designed to relieve pain caused by what?
A. Colic B. Diaper rash
C. Ear infections D. Teething
Spoiler
D. Teething (9)

Meredith: You know, if you didn't get that right, you'd be out of a job!
Lloyd has earned the ATE, and today's expert is $500,000 winner Jeff Gross (15QA).

$2,000 (Foreign Conflicts): The U.S. military awards a medal inscribed with bamboo trees and a dragon to soldiers who served in what war?
A. World War I B. World War II
C. Vietnam War D. Persian Gulf War
Spoiler
C. Vietnam War (23)
$4,000 (Celebrity Splits): In 2008, what former supermodel's nasty divorce trial inspired the news headline "Downfall of an Uptown Girl"?
A. Janice Dickinson B. Christie Brinkley
C. Cindy Crawford D. Niki Taylor
Spoiler
B. Christie Brinkley (12)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Lloyd is playing in part for the educational needs of some of his grandkids (some of whom have special needs). His wife of 10 years, Patty, is in the audience.

$8.000 (The Gift of the Magi): Which of these candy bars sounds like it was named for the author of the classic short story "The Gift of the Magi"?
A. Clark B. Oh Henry!
C. Baby Ruth D. Mars
Spoiler
B. Oh Henry! (14)
$16,000 (From Italia): Prosecco is an Italian what?
A. Wine B. Bacon
C. Coffee D. Cheese
Spoiler
A. Wine (24)
$25,000 (Words to the Wise): The winning word in the 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee, "guerdon" is a noun meaning what?
A. Risk B. Investment
C. Strategy D. Reward

Lloyd chooses to PAF (24 sec). Standing by are his great-nephew, Brit (St. Paul, MN); daughter, Ellene (Minneapolis, MN); and friend, Don (Arden Hills, MN). Lloyd chooses to call Brit. Lloyd: Brit the word is "guerdon" (and he spells it twice). Does it mean Risk, Investment, Strategy or Reward. He spells it again, but time runs out before getting an answer. Lloyd starts to walk away, and is reminded by Meredith that he has two lifelines left, so he chooses to ATE with 6 seconds left.

Jeff, wearing an "Is that your final answer?" T-shirt, tells Lloyd that he really doesn't know, and doesn't want to steer him wrong. Rather than take the chance, Lloyd chooses to walk away with 2 seconds left.
Spoiler
D. Reward (2)

doitneatly

Re: Transcript 12/3/08 - Lloyd Weber

#2 Post by doitneatly » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:04 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$25,000 (Words to the Wise): The winning word in the 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee, "guerdon" is a noun meaning what?
A. Risk B. Investment
C. Strategy D. Reward

Lloyd chooses to PAF (24 sec). Standing by are his great-nephew, Brit (St. Paul, MN); daughter, Ellene (Minneapolis, MN); and friend, Don (Arden Hills, MN). Lloyd chooses to call Brit. Lloyd: Brit the word is "guerdon" (and he spells it twice). Does it mean Risk, Investment, Strategy or Reward. He spells it again, but time runs out before getting an answer.
Hmmm, two bad phone a friends on today's episode, both of whom were obviously G-PAFs. (especially this fellow, who cut to the chase with no mention of anything but the word, its spelling, and the choices)

Perhaps the internet was down that day. :-)
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

15QuestionsAway

#3 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:59 am

A. Risk B. Investment
C. Strategy D. Reward

Jeff, wearing an "Is that your final answer?" T-shirt, tells Lloyd that he really doesn't know, and doesn't want to steer him wrong. Rather than take the chance, Lloyd chooses to walk away with 2 seconds left.

Well, if I had to do it again, the first thing I would have done is ask Meredith to pronounce the word. After hearing her pronounce it today, it probably wouldn't have helped too much.

About five minutes after I saw the question as ATE, I thought if the word had Latin roots, I might be able to use French to break it down. Sure enough, "guer" -> "guerre" (war) and "don" (bequest/gift) would have pointed me to the correct answer (d. Reward). Note that I didn't see the answer to the question during the taping.

Posthumous brilliance on my part doesn't do anything for Lloyd the dentist, but really a better job with phone-a-friend might have got him past $25k with ask the expert available.

Also, the show lawyer had to clear my t-shirt. I kindly reminded her that it was Millionaire's own catch phrase.
Shameless self promotion:
wwtbam.biz - giving WWTBAM the business (returning soon!)

TheConfessor

#4 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:54 am

15QuestionsAway wrote:Also, the show lawyer had to clear my t-shirt. I kindly reminded her that it was Millionaire's own catch phrase.
Yeah, but it was from the Regis era. They seem to be in denial that the prime time show ever existed. Meredith never uses the phrases "Is that your final answer?" or even "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire."

Since guerdon was a spelling bee word, Meredith should have told you the language of origin and used it in a sentence.

Evil Dentist
Merry Man

#5 Post by Evil Dentist » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:44 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Lloyd Weber
Fridley, MN
Dentist

Lloyd is a father of 8, grandfather of 13 and has been a dentist (a profession he loves, partly because your patients don't die) for 43 years.

Your patients don't die!?!?!?

What are you, some kind of a quack? You are a disgrace to the profession....
Say "aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh"!

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:59 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Animal Lovers
Break a Leg!
Fear Itself
Name's the Same
Pull Up a Chair
Words to the Wise
From Italia
The Gift of the Magi
Celebrity Splits
Foreign Conflicts
Bundles of Joy
Siblings
Signs of Life
Rachael Says
Lance Armstrong
Looks good on the first nine... not sure what to expect afterward.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200 (Rachael Says): According to Rachael Ray, a dish that needs "a little S and P" is in need of salt and what else?
A. Pesto B. Pickles
C. Pepper D. Paprika
In Rachael Ray's case, it's E. Perkiness.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 (Signs of Life): SETI, a group whose name is short for "Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence," primarily searches for extraterrestrial intelligence where?
A. Outer Space B. Antacrtica
C. The rain forest D. The ocean
E. Congress
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 (Siblings): A cowriter of the Tom Hanks comedy "Big," Anne Spielberg is the sister of a six-time Oscar nominee in what category?

A. Best Actor - 7%
C. Best Director - 88%
D. Best Song - 2%
Must've been a case of Hotseatitis because there is really no other excuse for using a lifeline on this question.

$16K: Never heard of prosecco. The "sec" would hint at "dry wine", but in the Hot Seat, I would've asked the audience.

$25K: Crap. I know we had a discussion about the 2008 Bee and this word... but I couldn't remember what this word meant. PAF. But I feel less bad about not knowing this offhand, as Jeff didn't know it either.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:28 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Lloyd Weber
Fridley, MN
Dentist

I kept hearing "Son, Be a Dentist" running through my mind.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 (Siblings): A cowriter of the Tom Hanks comedy "Big," Anne Spielberg is the sister of a six-time Oscar nominee in what category?

A. Best Actor - 7%
C. Best Director - 88%
D. Best Song - 2%
Spoiler
C. Best Director (5)
I think he realized the connection just after he used the ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8.000 (The Gift of the Magi): Which of these candy bars sounds like it was named for the author of the classic short story "The Gift of the Magi"?
A. Clark B. Oh Henry!
C. Baby Ruth D. Mars
Spoiler
B. Oh Henry! (14)
Again, it took him a little time to make the connection and you could see his facial expression change the moment it did.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 (From Italia): Prosecco is an Italian what?
A. Wine B. Bacon
C. Coffee D. Cheese
Spoiler
A. Wine (24)
I know it's not cheese or bacon. Do I go with the DD and make A and C my choices or do I use ATA? I'll go with DD.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (Words to the Wise): The winning word in the 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee, "guerdon" is a noun meaning what?
A. Risk B. Investment
C. Strategy D. Reward

Lloyd chooses to PAF (24 sec). Standing by are his great-nephew, Brit (St. Paul, MN); daughter, Ellene (Minneapolis, MN); and friend, Don (Arden Hills, MN). Lloyd chooses to call Brit. Lloyd: Brit the word is "guerdon" (and he spells it twice). Does it mean Risk, Investment, Strategy or Reward. He spells it again, but time runs out before getting an answer.
The way Lloyd phrased the question, I felt sure Brit was Googling or using some sort of search. Either that or Lloyd really understood the way to use PAF by eliminating the non-essential elements of the question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Lloyd starts to walk away, and is reminded by Meredith that he has two lifelines left, so he chooses to ATE with 6 seconds left.
I think Meredith was surprised at Lloyd's statement, which is why she prompted him about his two remaining lifelines.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jeff, wearing an "Is that your final answer?" T-shirt, tells Lloyd that he really doesn't know, and doesn't want to steer him wrong. Rather than take the chance, Lloyd chooses to walk away with 2 seconds left.
Spoiler
D. Reward (2)
Tough question - "guerdon" isn't one of your everyday words. The reason I knew this one was from my experience with RPGs and fantasy novels.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:31 am

earendel wrote:

A. Best Actor - 7%
C. Best Director - 88%
D. Best Song - 2%
Spoiler
C. Best Director (5)
I think he realized the connection just after he used the ATA.
Another lifeline sacrificed to the damned clock.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:32 am

TheConfessor wrote:
15QuestionsAway wrote:Also, the show lawyer had to clear my t-shirt. I kindly reminded her that it was Millionaire's own catch phrase.
Yeah, but it was from the Regis era. They seem to be in denial that the prime time show ever existed. Meredith never uses the phrases "Is that your final answer?" or even "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire."
Jeff should have asked her to read what's on the shirt; then she'd have said the phrase, at least once! :wink:

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:33 am

One other comment to make about Jeff: When Meredith introduced him as Lloyd's expert, she said that he hadn't missed a single question that he'd been asked. That almost guaranteed that he'd end up with one that he couldn't answer.

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:18 am

15QuestionsAway wrote: Also, the show lawyer had to clear my t-shirt. I kindly reminded her that it was Millionaire's own catch phrase.
Where did you buy that shirt, Jeff? I'm wondering if it was an officially licensed product or one of the many unlicensed rip-offs that were prevalent, back in the heyday? And I'm wondering if TPTB's lawyers were able to check this out?

gsabc

#12 Post by gsabc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:49 am

TheConfessor wrote:
I would say then that I shouldn't wear my sweatshirt with the drawing of Grumpy and that phrase on it to my next audition. It's official, but since there's no longer the Disney/ABC affiliation ...
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:55 am

gsabc wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
I would say then that I shouldn't wear my sweatshirt with the drawing of Grumpy and that phrase on it to my next audition. It's official, but since there's no longer the Disney/ABC affiliation ...
The licensing of what you wear to an audition doesn't matter, but the APs are all about postive, bubbly personalities, so unless you can make your Grumpy into a kind of Bill Cosby negativity, it wouldn't impress them. :|

gsabc

#14 Post by gsabc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:55 am

Had to be hotseatitis at $500, to use ATA on that question. May I not be similarly afflicted when I finally get there (spitting on ground three times).

$16K: I would have loved this question. We only recently discovered this type of wine, and it has become one of our favorites.

$25K: Nasty question if you didn't pay attention to the news about the Bee, which I didn't. My crossword solving expertise doesn't help, either. Wouldn't trust the audience on this one. Googling PAF.

"Fear Itself" was probably either about FDR or a phobia definition.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:56 am

gsabc wrote:Had to be hotseatitis at $500, to use ATA on that question. May I not be similarly afflicted when I finally get there (spitting on ground three times).

$16K: I would have loved this question. We only recently discovered this type of wine, and it has become one of our favorites.

$25K: Nasty question if you didn't pay attention to the news about the Bee, which I didn't. My crossword solving expertise doesn't help, either. Wouldn't trust the audience on this one. Googling PAF.

"Fear Itself" was probably either about FDR or a phobia definition.
I figured it was the latter.

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:59 am

gsabc wrote: "Fear Itself" was probably either about FDR or a phobia definition.
I hate those made-up phobia words. :roll:

15QuestionsAway

#17 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:46 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Where did you buy that shirt, Jeff? I'm wondering if it was an officially licensed product or one of the many unlicensed rip-offs that were prevalent, back in the heyday? And I'm wondering if TPTB's lawyers were able to check this out?
It's an official licensed t-shirt. I ordered two of them back in the day, and I remember they took forever to arrive. You may be right that they wanted to make sure it was an officially licensed product, but they didn't say anything to me about that.

When I was on UK Millionaire (in 2000 or 2001), I wore the t-shirt to the set as a laugh. (UK Millionaire host) Chris Tarrant wryly noted that Regis was making money off of his catchphrase!
Shameless self promotion:
wwtbam.biz - giving WWTBAM the business (returning soon!)

ghostjmf

#18 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:33 pm

16K: I use my ATA here. I'm reasonably sure its not cheese or coffee, because I, like, know some cheese & coffee stuff. But not sure enough to go 50/50.

25K: I do not know this world. The "guer" beginning has me leaning toward "risk". As in "war". Whatever. I'd PAF a fast Googler.

Did anyone else think "this is one Q Will Shorts (or however he spells it) actually would have known the answer to"?

Spelling bees, along with scrabble contests, & of course crossword puzzles, are his thing.

ghostjmf

15Q: Re: Transcript 12/3/08 - Lloyd Weber

#19 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:36 pm

15Qaway says:
About five minutes after I saw the question as ATE, I thought if the word had Latin roots, I might be able to use French to break it down. Sure enough, "guer" -> "guerre" (war) and "don" (bequest/gift) would have pointed me to the correct answer (d. Reward). Note that I didn't see the answer to the question during the taping.
I didn't even think of the "don" part of the word until you pointed it out here. Which is a lot longer than 5 minutes after I watched the show.

Even though I saw 90% of "Akeelah & the Bee" over the weekend (I still gotta see the 1st 10 minutes some day) & know you're supposed to break those words down to their roots. Darn.

mntetn

#20 Post by mntetn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:53 am

I wonder if he was a "famous name" candidate.