Unofficial Turkey Day Food Thread

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
marrymeflyfree

Unofficial Turkey Day Food Thread

#1 Post by marrymeflyfree » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:15 pm

Are you cooking? Eating? With whom? What will you have? What dish are you most looking forward to?

The Naughty Norwegian and I did Thanksgiving early, as custom. My whole family on one side did our thing up in the Smokies again a few weeks ago, and were lucky enough to celebrate my dad and uncle's 60 birthdays while there. We had dad's famous turkey and dressing with uncle Jim's obligatory green beans, mom's strange but yummy cranberry 'thing', sweet potatoe casserole, a few other dishes I've blocked out, and more pies and birthday cakes than I care to think about. Plus, I had to contribute a pumpkin cheesecake. It isn't November without it. There were 16 of us altogether in the cabin, plus 3 in utero. We need a bigger place next year.

I think I've found a new favorite fall recipe, though. Perfect for the weather we've had up here the last few days, and would make a good soup course for a not-so-casual Thanksgiving dinner. Enjoy, and share your own if you like!

Squash Apple Soup
2lb acorn squash
1/3c chopped onion
1/3c chopped carrot
1 3/4c apple cider
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/3c skim milk
1/4c sour cream

To cook the squash: cut in half and cook in a 450F oven for 1 hour until soft. Or quarter the squash, put into a glass cooking pan with 1/4c water, and microwave 15 minutes on high until soft. Spoon out into food processor or blender. In a large saucepan, cook the onion and carrot in the cider with the chicken bouillon, covered, for 12 minutes until tender. Stir in the lemon juice, ginger, and pepper. Pour the hot liquid into the food processor and puree with the squash. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Add the skim milk and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes until the flavors are blended. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.
**Very yummy, but next time I'll reduce the amt of cider a wee bit and use cream instead of skim. Creamier would be better!

mikehardware

Re: Unofficial Turkey Day Food Thread

#2 Post by mikehardware » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:30 pm

marrymeflyfree wrote:Are you cooking? Eating? With whom? What will you have? What dish are you most looking forward to?
My Pretty Person is trying to outdo herself again this year. The menu is turkey, cornbread dressing (my favorite part), deviled eggs, sweet potato balls, green beans, fried squash, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, rolls, white chocolate pie, and she's trying out a Paula Deen coconut cake recipe.

mellytu74

#3 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:04 pm

We go to my cousin's house in Union, NJ. We have for years 15 / 16 years now.

It's the seven of us -- my cousin, wife, three kids, TLAF and me. TLAF & I drive up early Thursday morning, stay over and drive back Friday.

The Boyfriend cannot go because he doesn't get the day after Thanksgiving off. Even with 37 years with the company, he doesn't have enough seniority in his group of five offices. The switchmen stay a long time. :cry:

When the kids were little, we'd go up Wednesday night and take them to the Macy's parade Thursday morning. But, since the baby's a sophomore in college, it's been a while since we've done that.

I have several favorite parts of the meal. Joanne makes a wonderful sweet potato/apple dish. And a very nice stuffing.

And, at the end of the meal, we sit around, crack nuts and shoot the breeze.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:51 pm

None of my favorite restaurants are open.... :(

Guess I'll have to eat turkey again....

lb13

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:08 am

We are going to Amy and Steve's. Just the four of us.

We are splitting duties and such.

My favorite thing is dessert. Not pies - not a pie person. I am bringing pound cake and ice cream. They must be a 2 separate plates.

Stove Top stuffing is fine with me. really

I am making roasted green beans with almonds. I have a great recipe for artichoke dips that will be one of the pre-meal thingies. It is delicious. and easy.

kusch

#6 Post by kusch » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:06 am

We will be going to my oldest daughter's home in Fargo. Youngest daughter will drive up from Minneapolis. We will also be joined by my nephew and girlfriend who also live in Fargo.

I will of course be doing most of the cooking of the main meal, Margaret takes care of the rolls and pies.

I most look forward to my stuffing topped with gravy of course. Next on the list is the leftover turkey on Friday. We make what is called Tijuana Turkey--one of Margaret's dishes.

Guess we will be heading to a local bar tonight to play trivia and will spend most of Thursday eating and playing table games--mostly pinochle. They will be sorry they asked me to play again this year. :D

We are coming home late on Friday because Margaret has to work on Saturday.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all that are traveling have a safe trip.

nitrah55

#7 Post by nitrah55 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:29 am

Friends who usually come down from New Hampshire aren't this year, and what with Mom in rehab, we have decided to go to local friends for Thursday. We will be cooking turkey parts with various trimmings on Saturday, though.

As usual, I will be making cranberry sauce. Here is the recipe:
NANTUCKET CRANBERRY SAUCE

1 cup orange juice
¼ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup mild flavored (light) molasses
2 tablespoons golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
¼ teaspoon salt
12-ounce bag of cranberries, fresh or thawed

Combine all ingredients except the cranberries in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low, then mix in cranberries. Simmer until cranberries begin to burst, around 15 minutes. Increase heat to high and boil until mixture is reduced to 1-1/2 cups, stirring occasionally, around 15 minutes. Can be prepared 3 days ahead; cover and refrigerate. Serve at room temperature.
I am about 25% sure of this.

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:38 am

GW is baking and mixing for our part of the extended family's festivities. Our part will be the previously mentioned oriental salad, and some other off-the-wall mandated item. Veggie plate? Cheese and crackers? I've forgotten.

Not mandated but being brought anyway are the also previously mentioned apple pie, and a new one, a mincemeat pie. Mom and one of my aunts happened to mention a few months back that they hadn't had one in a long time, so GW decided to try her hand at it. She's starting with a store brand of mincemeat, but adding her own embellishments.

I'll be upstairs moving around the furniture so we can receive a new armoire-slash-dresser-slash-TV stand sometime on Friday. Going through the drawers on the old desk we've been using as the TV stand was like an archeological dig. Among the items found were a half-ream of corraseable bond typing paper (which went nicely with the correction paper and typewriter ribbons we also uncovered), grocery receipts from 1995, and a small plastic plaque commemorating a road rally in which I participated. In college. In 1975.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

christie1111
11:11

#9 Post by christie1111 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:28 am

I am hosting with a total of 9 in attendance.

All standard turkey day type food. Trying a new recipe for a mushroom spread for an appetizer. I decided I would make the old fashion green bean casserole. With some extra mushrooms.

Oh, and I have a good starter for a sourdough type of roll. Better go look up a recipe for that.

But maybe I will go look in on the parade.

Lb must be lonely without Mini around.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#10 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:21 pm

Just four of us this year, maybe only two depending on a couple things beyond our control.

GO JETS!!!!!!

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:25 pm

Say, mmff -- I've been meaning to ask. What's the avatar? I like it, but what is it?

Also, did I miss an announcement somewhere? Has the Naughty Norwegian made an honest woman out of you yet? If so, congratulations! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Oh, yeah, the food --

Turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes and turkey gravy, squash, cranberry salad (grinded-up cranberries, sugar, pineapple, walnuts, whip cream -- I think it's to die for, but nobody else likes it, so the heck with them, that's more for me...), store bought punkin pie, rolls, carrot casserole.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

marrymeflyfree

#13 Post by marrymeflyfree » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:56 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Say, mmff -- I've been meaning to ask. What's the avatar? I like it, but what is it?

Also, did I miss an announcement somewhere? Has the Naughty Norwegian made an honest woman out of you yet? If so, congratulations! --Bob

Thanks for asking! It's a sculpture from a place called Vigelandsparken in Oslo. The artist, Vigeland, did all of the pieces in this large park - most of them depicting a circle of life/family type motif. The fetus is at the beginning. Somehow I managed to lop off his bum in the shot! I won't bore you with tons of pictures...maybe just one more favorite. But it's an inspiring place.

I guess you could say that we are still happily dishonest! :D Our master plan and timeline has been reshuffled a bit, but it's a good thing. It would be out of character for me to do anything 'conventionally'. :wink: How are your wife and wee one? I guess he isn't so tiny anymore! It has been a while since our evening at the crabshack!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:08 pm

marrymeflyfree wrote:How are your wife and wee one? I guess he isn't so tiny anymore! It has been a while since our evening at the crabshack!
I guess it's been about a year and a half, now. Ms. 63 and The Little Guy are good, although The Little Guy is a handful. And I've been working my own bum off here at the office, so I haven't been able to offer as much help at home as I'd like.

Which leads to a grumble -- I'm at the office, I expect to be here for several more hours, and it looks like I'll have to cut my weekend short to come back on Sunday. Hey, Marley! Got a spare (*grumble*) or two? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

TheConfessor

#15 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:46 pm

I feel sorry for everyone who is spending the day slaving over a hot oven. Next year, why not do what I do? All you need is a can opener to serve your family a delicious gourmet holiday feast with Turkey, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Green Beans, Granny Smith Apples. The house is filled with love and the wonderful smells of Thanksgiving infiltrate the air. Could it get any better as you fill your plate with juicy slices of Turkey and all the trimmings?
http://www.amazon.com/Merrick-Thanksgiv ... B000N5XCRU
I recommend washing it down with plenty of Boone's Farm and Old Milwaukee.

Don't forget to give an annual listen to "Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#16 Post by kayrharris » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:46 pm

Ewwwww! Glad I saw this after dinner.

We had a lovely dinner out...but everyone did hang out here until 9:00PM and are now out at local bar having fun and left me here babysitting and cleaning up. It's fine since I'm tired and needed some peace and quiet.

Sure is quiet around here tonight.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#17 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:14 pm

I've fed my people, ate too much, cleaned up a little, and now it's time to take off my shoes.

I am pleased and amazed to report that no dogs begged at the table.