Transcript 12/08/08 Bryan Bishop

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/08/08 Bryan Bishop

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Bryan Bishop
Los Angeles, CA
Morning radio show sidekick

Bryan has his ATA, DD and ATE lifelines remaining.

Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Pat Kiernan, morning anchor of “ New York 1 News.”
Pat is a major lover of game shows. He has hosted a few shows including “World Series of Pop Culture.

Topic Tree:

Life and Death
Air Supply
Bee-ginnings
Athletic Venues
Asian Cities
Wee Tales
(Deep Water)
(Say What?)
(Keeping It Real)
(Cryptic Sculpture)
(Ask a Doctor)
(The Gallows)
(I'm A Big Fan)
(Dr. Seuss)
(Safety First)

$25K In the classic tale by Washington Irving, Rip Van Winkle sleeps for so long that he misses what momentous event?
A. French and Indian War
B. American Revolution
C. U.S. Civil War
D. War of 1812

ATA (17)

8% A. French and Indian War
55% B. American Revolution
16% C. U.S. Civil War
21% D. War of 1812

Spoiler
B. American Revolution (9)
$50K Which of these Asian cities once boasted a vast series of canals, or klongs, whick gained it the nickname “Venice of the East”?
A. Seoul
B. Singapore
C. Hanoi
D. Bangkok

ATE (35)

Pat says he is not familiar with the nickname “Venice of the East,” but he has been to Bangkok and there is an extensive network of canals there.
He says Bangkok is a strong recommendation, but he can’t give him 100%.

Bryan then tells Pat that he has his DD left and asks what his second choice would be.

Pat says the he is pretty confident in Bangkok.

Spoiler
D. Bangkok (32)
commercial break

$100K When filled to capacity for a game, what college’s football stadium temporarily becomes the third largest “city” in its state?
A. University of Nebraska
B. University of Wisconsin
C. University of Alabama
D. University of Tennessee

Bryan doesn’t think it is Wisconsin or Tennessee.

DD ( 8 )

Bryan first choice is correct.

Spoiler
A. University of Nebraska ( 8 )
$250K The National Spelling Bee was first organized in 1925 by a newspaper in 1925 by a newspaper based in what U.S. city?
A. Charlotte, NC
B. Cincinnati, OH
C. Louisville, KY
D. Memphis, TN

Bryan says he is going to take his $100K and celebrate as time expires.
Spoiler
C. Louisville, KY (0)
Answers:
$25K B. American Revolution
$50K D. Bangkok
$100K A. University of Nebraska
$250K C. Louisville, KY

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 12/08/08 Bryan Bishop

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:21 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Pat Kiernan, morning anchor of “ New York 1 News.”
Pat is a major lover of game shows. He has hosted a few shows including “World Series of Pop Culture.
So it's another pop culture and current events expert.

$50K: It's either Singapore or Bangkok. I'll PAF.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K When filled to capacity for a game, what college’s football stadium temporarily becomes the third largest “city” in its state?
C. University of Alabama
Wow, this is a really convoluted question. You'd have to know the populations of the three largest cities in those four states and the capacities of the stadiums of each of the four universities. There aren't a whole lot of college football stadiums that hold over 100,000 people, so it's probably safe to eliminate the universities in states that have more than three cities with populations of over 100,000. Alabama has four (Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, Huntsville) and Tennessee has five (Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Clarksville). I would Double Dip on Wisconsin and Nebraska.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K The National Spelling Bee was first organized in 1925 by a newspaper in 1925 by a newspaper based in what U.S. city?
A. Charlotte, NC
B. Cincinnati, OH
C. Louisville, KY
D. Memphis, TN
I'll bet that earendel and Confessor were yelling at the TV with the correct answer... just as I was.

I'd be going for $500,000 with the Audience and the Expert. Both of them would probably be useless at this point, but they've been known to surprise.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K When filled to capacity for a game, what college’s football stadium temporarily becomes the third largest “city” in its state?
C. University of Alabama
Wow, this is a really convoluted question. You'd have to know the populations of the three largest cities in those four states and the capacities of the stadiums of each of the four universities.
Back when I used to watch college football with some regularity, I remember the announcers mentioning this particular factoid seemingly every time they showed a Nebraska home game. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

#4 Post by Appa23 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:14 pm

C. University of Alabama

It is a pretty easy question if you are a sports fan and watch college football (especially during the 1990s and up until a couple years ago, when Nebraska stopped having so many games televised on ABC. Still, Nebraska-Colorado is The Game on the Friday after Thanksgiving, taking the place of Nebraska-Oklahoma). This fact is mentioned by one of the broadcasters during every (and I do mean every) Nebraska game. Of course, I may be too intimately familair with this subject. :roll:

BTW, Nebraska will reach 300 straight sold-out games early next year. An ongoing record likely never to be broken. :)

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#5 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:58 am

I have been to the third largest "city" in Nebraska.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:17 am

Appa23 wrote:Of course, I may be too intimately familair with this subject. :roll:
Ya think? :)

I took Nelly's approach and decided it was probably Nebraska, after not being able to think of a third large city after Omaha and Lincoln.

So what is the population of that stadium/city?

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:45 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Appa23 wrote:Of course, I may be too intimately familair with this subject. :roll:

I took Nelly's approach and decided it was probably Nebraska, after not being able to think of a third large city after Omaha and Lincoln.

Memorial Stadium holds 85,831.

The normal third largest city in Nebraska is Bellevue, population 47,594.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#8 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:42 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

I have not been to Bellevue. Though I've been to Bellevue, WA.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:46 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Ya think? :)

I'll bet Bob Juch has been to Bellevue! :wink:

Appa23

#10 Post by Appa23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Just a point of clarification.

The stated capacity of Memorial Stadium is 81,067.

There was a record crowd of 85,831 earlier this season that saw the Huskers give a game away to the Va Tech Hokies.

The difference is attributable to squeezing more people on to bleachers than is estimated as "normal".

People may know Bellevue better as the former home of Strategic Air Command, which become Space Command IIRC, in conjunction with Peterson AFB in Colorado.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#11 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:11 pm

Appa23 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Ya think? :)

There was a record crowd of 85,831 earlier this season that saw the Huskers give a game away to the Va Tech Hokies.

The difference is attributable to squeezing more people on to bleachers than is estimated as "normal".

People may know Bellevue better as the former home of Strategic Air Command, which become Space Command IIRC, in conjunction with Peterson AFB in Colorado.

Maybe Nebraska fans are getting thinner. I wonder if the "Butt Bandit" goes to the games and leaves his "mark".

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:29 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote: Memorial Stadium holds 85,831.

I'll bet Bob Juch has been to Bellevue! :wink:
Actually I have. It was the night I arrived in Omaha and expected to get a hotel room without a reservation. Unfortunately the Collage World Series was on and there were no rooms. I checked Bellevue and other nearby places but found nothing. I had to drive to West Des Moines before I found a room!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Appa23

#13 Post by Appa23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:35 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote: Memorial Stadium holds 85,831.

Maybe Nebraska fans are getting thinner. I wonder if the "Butt Bandit" goes to the games and leaves his "mark".
Uly, you saw our fans up close -- did you meet many who did not look like corn-fed beef? :wink:

Salad is a four-letter word around here.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#14 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:18 pm

Appa23 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
Appa23 wrote: Just a point of clarification.

Uly, you saw our fans up close -- did you meet many who did not look like corn-fed beef? :wink:

I dunno. The ones I hung around with seemed to be salad eaters.......except for that overall- clad bodyguard behind us.

christie1111
11:11

#15 Post by christie1111 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:29 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

I dunno. The ones I hung around with seemed to be salad eaters.......except for that overall- clad bodyguard behind us.
You have such a rough job Uly!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Bryan Bishop
Los Angeles, CA
Morning radio show sidekick

Bryan has his ATA, DD and ATE lifelines remaining.

Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Pat Kiernan, morning anchor of “ New York 1 News.”
This sounds promising - an actual "celebrity" trivia expert.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K Which of these Asian cities once boasted a vast series of canals, or klongs, whick gained it the nickname “Venice of the East”?
A. Seoul
B. Singapore
C. Hanoi
D. Bangkok

ATE (35)

Pat says he is not familiar with the nickname “Venice of the East,” but he has been to Bangkok and there is an extensive network of canals there. He says Bangkok is a strong recommendation, but he can’t give him 100%.

Bryan then tells Pat that he has his DD left and asks what his second choice would be.

Pat says the he is pretty confident in Bangkok.

Spoiler
D. Bangkok (32)
OK, so I spoke hastily. I guess I should have realized that someone who hosted a show about pop culture might not be an expert in other areas of trivia.
C. University of Alabama

Bryan doesn’t think it is Wisconsin or Tennessee.

DD ( 8 )

Bryan first choice is correct.

Spoiler
A. University of Nebraska ( 8 )
The same point is made about the Kentucky Derby each year - when Churchill Downs is filled with the Derby crowd it becomes the "third largest city in Kentucky" for a few brief hours. I'd have thought it was either Nebraska or Alabama - it would have to be a relatively sparsely-populated state.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K The National Spelling Bee was first organized in 1925 by a newspaper in 1925 by a newspaper based in what U.S. city?
A. Charlotte, NC
B. Cincinnati, OH
C. Louisville, KY
D. Memphis, TN

Bryan says he is going to take his $100K and celebrate as time expires.
Spoiler
C. Louisville, KY (0)
What a dream question this would have been for me!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."