I solved a puzzle today.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

I solved a puzzle today.

#1 Post by Spock » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:19 pm

Today was a good day in the Spock Appraisal world. I love the puzzle-solving aspect of the job and today-I solved a puzzle.

We get really odd appraisal jobs and this one involved an organic farm.

We are trying to separate out any possible premium that the market may place on organic land.

As you might imagine, these sales are very rare and hard to find.

Anyway, I spoke with somebody today in the area where we are working on this project-He said "I have been appraising in the area 40 years and I do not know any organic sales." He is an extremely knowledgeable real estate individual.

Anyway-lots of other comments like that from others knowledgeable in the area and the wider organic industry.

TODAY-I found two organic land sales within 6 miles on the subject. One is only a year old. The other is from 1999-old, but still useful for background and analysis.

I am a research Genius.<G> Luck had nothing to do with it. Truly, I can absolutely not believe that I got lucky enough to find 2 sales this close. It

Another key part of the appraisal came together today as well-so it was a good day.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:27 pm

I'm glad it worked out for you. It certainly makes life easier when it does. You deserve a pat on the back for sure.

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Congrats on the success, Spock.

I'm curious about the context of the word "organic" in this sense. Does it mean that the farmland has only used fertilizers derived from animal or vegetable matter? Or is there some other definition?

I know the meaning of the word organic has transmuted several times, and as a science teacher, I'm interested in the many varied uses for this word. In my area, we just teach about organic compounds (compounds which include carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen) and inorganic compounds (which covers everything else.) But I know in the nutrition business, for instance, there have been ongoing struggles to try to define the word sufficiently for marketing purposes. So this usage as applied to land interests me especially.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman