Transcript 12/10/08 - Bernadette Gero

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/10/08 - Bernadette Gero

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:18 pm

Bernadette Gero
Lake Waukomis, MO
Unemployed

Bernadette's been out of work for 7 months, but getting the call from Millionaire wasn't the best news of her week a few weeks ago. A son she'd given up for adoption many years ago reached out to find her and she got the call from the agency the day after she got the call from TPTB, and they were recently reuinited, along with her three grandchildren. Now, she wants to move closer to her grandkids in Colorado.

Her category tree:

The Clone Wars
Bartlett's
First Ladies
Moonstruck
What to Wear
Sea Here!
Harry Potter
Communism
Stupid Human Tricks
Tickets, Please!
Dwell on it
Goliaths
Coming Up Roses
Walk This Way
Bad Manners

$100 (Bad Manners): According to Newsweek, eating in the sauna and standing on the scale naked are outrageous breaches of etiquette by whome?
A. Priests B. Health club patrons
C. Bankers D. Game show hostesses
Spoiler
B. Health club patrons (5)
$200 (Walk This Way): In a well-known Bible Story, Jesus miraculously walks on what?
A. Water B. Broken glass
C. Quicksand D. Mud
Spoiler
A. Water (9)
$300 (Coming Up Roses): Someone who "views the world through rose-colored glasses" is unusually what?
A. Timid B. Ignorant
C. Loyal D. Optimistic
Spoiler
D. Optimistic (10)
$500 (Goliaths): Green Goliath is a popular variety of what?
A. Carrot B. Tomato
C. Broccoli D. Cauliflower
Spoiler
C. Broccoli (9)
$1,000 (Dwell On It): As its name implies, Dwell magazine is a publication dedicated to what subject?
A. Finance B. Sports
C. Fashion D. Home design
Spoiler
D. Home design (7)
Bernadette has earned the ATE lifeline, with expert Pat Kiernan, morning anchor of NY1 news and former host of "World Series of Pop Culture".

$2,000 (Tickets, Please!): For which of these sporting events do attendees typically purchase "grounds tickets" instead of tickets for individual seats?
A. NBA Finals B. Stanley Cup playoffs
C. PGA Championship D. World Series
Spoiler
C. PGA Championship (13)
$4,000 (Stupid Human Tricks): On a 2008 episode of "Oprah," magician David Blaine set a new world record by doing what for more than 17 minutes?
A. Not blinking his eyes B. Standing on his head
C. Spinning a ball on his finger D. Holding his breath underwater

Bernadette decides to ATA (21):
Spoiler
A. Not blinking his eyes - 8%
B. Standing on his head - 4%
C. Spinning a ball on his finger - 5%
D. Holding his breath underwater - 83%
Spoiler
D. Holding his breath underwater (15)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Bernadette thanks the audience again for their help on the last question.

$8,000 (Communism): In his inaugural address, which of these U.S. presidents said the word "communism" six times?
A. Woodrow Wilson B. Herbert Hoover
C. William H. Taft D. Harry Truman

Bernadette decides to ATE (22). Pat says his history is OK "if it's been in the news." He confesses that he was born in Canada, and they didn't cover a lot of US history. When Bernadette says that
Spoiler
Truman is her best guess
, Pat says it's his too, but only by process of elimination and not because he remembers the address.
Spoiler
D. Harry Truman (13)
$16,000 (Harry Potter): In the "Harry Potter" books, Moaning Myrtle and Nearly Headless Nick are both what?
A. Ghosts B. Werewolves
C. Goblins D. House elves

Bernadette guesses incorrectly (she chose
Spoiler
D
, and leaves with $1,000.
Spoiler
A. Ghosts (11)

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 12/10/08 - Bernadette Gero

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:28 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Bernadette's been out of work for 7 months, but getting the call from Millionaire wasn't the best news of her week a few weeks ago. A son she'd given up for adoption many years ago reached out to find her and she got the call from the agency the day after she got the call from TPTB, and they were recently reuinited, along with her three grandchildren. Now, she wants to move closer to her grandkids in Colorado.
A very touching story. And I mean that sincerely.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The Clone Wars
Bartlett's
First Ladies
Moonstruck
What to Wear
Sea Here!
Harry Potter
Communism
Stupid Human Tricks
Tickets, Please!
Dwell on it
Goliaths
Coming Up Roses
Walk This Way
Bad Manners
I might get stuck on Harry Potter... but I saw the first three movies, so I might luck out.

$4K: Holding his breath underwater is really the only one of those choices that makes any sense... but since I don't watch Oprah, I would've had to ask the audience as well.

I got everything else correct... even the HP one.

Kazoo65

#3 Post by Kazoo65 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:38 pm

I was yelling "Truman!!!" at the TV. I knew that one cold-he was the only choice of the 4 that was president after WW2, when we started worrying about Communism.

I also knew the Harry Potter question. I've read all the books.
I'm just a game show nerd.

Thousandaire

#4 Post by Thousandaire » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:50 pm

Actually, the U.S. has been worried about the Communists since the beginning. It's a little known fact that we sent troops to Siberia to fight the Bolsheviks shortly after the 1917 revolution.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:42 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $8,000 (Communism): In his inaugural address, which of these U.S. presidents said the word "communism" six times?

Bernadette decides to ATE (22). Pat says his history is OK "if it's been in the news." He confesses that he was born in Canada, and they didn't cover a lot of US history. When Bernadette says that
Spoiler
Truman is her best guess
, Pat says it's his too, but only by process of elimination and not because he remembers the address.
Spoiler
D. Harry Truman (13)
<sigh>

Since Pat wasn't raised in the US, he might not realize this, but there is nobody who would remember any of these inaugural addresses, certainly not to the level of counting the frequency of a given word (in the 30 seconds allocated by the damned clock). This was nothing more than a logical hunch question about when communism might be most prominent as an issue in one of these speeches.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:55 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 (Harry Potter): In the "Harry Potter" books, Moaning Myrtle and Nearly Headless Nick are both what?
A. Ghosts B. Werewolves

Spoiler
D
Spoiler
A. Ghosts (11)
<sigh>

Nick puts in years of service as the Gryffindor House ghost and this is the recognition he gets! :(

It didn't sound like Bernadette had any confidence in her answer, so I wonder why she didn't use her PAF? Did she know that none of her PAFs read the books or saw the movies, either?

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:24 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$500 (Goliaths): Green Goliath is a popular variety of what?
A. Carrot B. Tomato
C. Broccoli D. Cauliflower
Spoiler
C. Broccoli (9)
$1,000 (Dwell On It): As its name implies, Dwell magazine is a publication dedicated to what subject?
A. Finance B. Sports
C. Fashion D. Home design
Spoiler
D. Home design (7)
Never heard of Dwell magazine and so may well have had to flush the ATA early. I suspect I would not have connected how the name implies its subject matter of home design which is dwell as in dwelling I suppose. Maybe I can get that without the clock but in the time allotted I no doubt have to burn the ATA.

Of course not familiar with Green Goliath either but in that case broccoli seemed to be the obvious answer.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:26 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Bernadette Gero
Lake Waukomis, MO
Unemployed

Bernadette's been out of work for 7 months, but getting the call from Millionaire wasn't the best news of her week a few weeks ago. A son she'd given up for adoption many years ago reached out to find her and she got the call from the agency the day after she got the call from TPTB, and they were recently reuinited, along with her three grandchildren. Now, she wants to move closer to her grandkids in Colorado.
A touching story, and not one that got Bernadette on the show (since it happened after she auditioned).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 (Bad Manners): According to Newsweek, eating in the sauna and standing on the scale naked are outrageous breaches of etiquette by whome?
A. Priests B. Health club patrons
C. Bankers D. Game show hostesses
Spoiler
B. Health club patrons (5)
At our health club this is not considered improper - after all, it's the best way to get an accurate weight reading.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Bernadette has earned the ATE lifeline, with expert Pat Kiernan, morning anchor of NY1 news and former host of "World Series of Pop Culture".
Who, thus far, has been of little or no use.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2,000 (Tickets, Please!): For which of these sporting events do attendees typically purchase "grounds tickets" instead of tickets for individual seats?
A. NBA Finals B. Stanley Cup playoffs
C. PGA Championship D. World Series
Spoiler
C. PGA Championship (13)
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 (Communism): In his inaugural address, which of these U.S. presidents said the word "communism" six times?

Spoiler
Truman is her best guess
Spoiler
D. Harry Truman (13)
And again the expert provides no help. Fortunately Bernadette had an inkling and was willing to go with it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 (Harry Potter): In the "Harry Potter" books, Moaning Myrtle and Nearly Headless Nick are both what?
A. Ghosts B. Werewolves

Spoiler
D
Spoiler
A. Ghosts (11)
I wonder if TDC is to blame for this? After all, given time to consider the answers, "moaning" and "nearly headless" are only appropriate for ghosts.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:28 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:I might get stuck on Harry Potter... but I saw the first three movies, so I might luck out.
As it turns out, seeing the movies would have been immensely helpful - Moaning Myrtle is a key role in the second (and fourth) films, and surely most people would remember John Cleese in the role of Nearly Headless Nick.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."