I see SC is venting.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
themanintheseersuckersuit

I see SC is venting.

#1 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:38 pm

Nice avatar.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:31 pm

I've spent the last couple of days trying to figure it out and dint want to admit it. Now you've forced to me to do so. Oh well.......
:oops:

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:08 pm

kayrharris wrote:I've spent the last couple of days trying to figure it out and dint want to admit it. Now you've forced to me to do so. Oh well.......
:oops:
Kay, tmitsss reconized the avatar as a volcano -- Tungurahua in Ecuador, to be specific.

I hadn't considered that it might be a choice fraught with symbolism, but I cannot deny that possibility. Here I thought I merely was fascinated by volcanos.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:29 pm

Thank you. Certainly a different perspective of a volcano...or at least for me anyway. I do see it now though. Very interesting. I do like to learn stuff.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#5 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:34 am

silvercamaro wrote:
I hadn't considered that it might be a choice fraught with symbolism, but I cannot deny that possibility. Here I thought I merely was fascinated by volcanos.
Sometimes a Volcano is just a Volcano.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

VAdame

#6 Post by VAdame » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:07 am

I recognized it as *a* volcano, but not any particular volcano.

Wondering if that's steam, or a nice lenticular cloud over it?

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:04 am

VAdame wrote:I recognized it as *a* volcano, but not any particular volcano.

Wondering if that's steam, or a nice lenticular cloud over it?
Looks rather more like a cloud.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh