Utah taser guy

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

Utah taser guy

#1 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:51 am

I watched the 10 minute video.

Is it a law in Utah that you have to sign a speeding ticket?

I saw the guy interviewed this morning. Seems like he is not suing. Not sure what it's really all about.

The cop threatened - "Want me to do it again?" Any benefit of the doubt I had for the cop went out the window with that comment.

Also - what's with it taking 2 months to get this sorted out?

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:55 am

Here it is. Watch the whole thing if you watch any of it.

Pay special attention when the other cop arrives.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ssZRm8Gk1hI

Don't Tase Me Bro
Merry Man

#3 Post by Don't Tase Me Bro » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:21 am

TheCalvinator24

Re: Utah taser guy

#4 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:54 am

peacock2121 wrote:I watched the 10 minute video.

I saw the guy interviewed this morning. Seems like he is not suing. Not sure what it's really all about.

The cop threatened - "Want me to do it again?" Any benefit of the doubt I had for the cop went out the window with that comment.

Can you tell me about when the "Want me to do it again?" quote came? I didn't hear that.

Without that, I don't think the Trooper did anything wrong. Even with it, I 'm not sure his actions were unreasonable.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:01 am

I watched the tape. I thought the law enforcement officer might have been a bit quick on the trigger, but the driver was being an @sshole (escalating toward major @sshole), so the eventual use of the taser probably was inevitable. When the guy turned his back and started to walk back to his vehicle, I too thought he intended to get back behind the wheel and drive away.

peacock2121

Re: Utah taser guy

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:10 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:I watched the 10 minute video.

Can you tell me about when the "Want me to do it again?" quote came? I didn't hear that.

Without that, I don't think the Trooper did anything wrong. Even with it, I 'm not sure his actions were unreasonable.
The exact quote was "You want another hit with this?"

It came at about 5:27 on the tape.

He also told the other officer that he told the guy "Turn around right now or I'll taser you." He never said that.

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:15 am

silvercamaro wrote:I watched the tape. I thought the law enforcement officer might have been a bit quick on the trigger, but the driver was being an @sshole (escalating toward major @sshole), so the eventual use of the taser probably was inevitable. When the guy turned his back and started to walk back to his vehicle, I too thought he intended to get back behind the wheel and drive away.
I thought the driver was an asshole and confused. I do think he thought that he was asked out of the car walk back to the place where the officer said the 40mph speed limit sign was. That was a very stoopid assumption, as anyone who seems to know about rights, should know the officer would not walk with a guy alongside the road.

Even if the guy was taking off (which I don't think he was - I think he was confused and a bit frightened and pumped up with testosterone) - so what - no need to taser him - he has his license and registration and can find him again and then throw the book at him. No need to taser him.

TheCalvinator24

#8 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:26 am

The guy is not following a lawful instruction from the officer. He has his hand partway in his front pocket.

I believe the Officer was justified in using his taser.

Coming out of the vehicle and walking rapidly back toward the Officer was the biggest mistake the driver made. Once he did that, he was only a short way away from getting tased.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

TheCalvinator24

#9 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:35 am

Okay, I heard the comment this time. They are off camera, but it seems from the context that the Trooper is attempting to place the guy in the back of the squad car. It sounds like the guy is resisting (albeit not violently).

And I read the comments on the YouTube page. The Officer is not required to "read the guy his rights" immediately. By not reading them, the only result is that any statement the guy makes is inadmissible against him.

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:29 am

Seemed pretty reasonable to me. Maybe a little quick to give him a little jolt but in this day and age I think the officers have to make a judgement and act on it. Hesitation can get you killed.

You can bet if an officer tells me to do something, whether I think it right or not, I am going to do it first and deal with the issue later if need be.

Refusing to sign the citation was just foolish. It likely says on the citation that it is not an admission of guilt, only that you received the citation.

Pretty sure it says that on the ticket here in Georgia, unfortunately based on my own personal experience. At least I can say it has been a few years since my last one!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Bixby17

#11 Post by Bixby17 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:03 pm

Interesting interview with Taser guy on the CNN site.

Bixby17

#12 Post by Bixby17 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:19 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:The guy is not following a lawful instruction from the officer. He has his hand partway in his front pocket.

I believe the Officer was justified in using his taser.

Coming out of the vehicle and walking rapidly back toward the Officer was the biggest mistake the driver made. Once he did that, he was only a short way away from getting tased.
Interesting hearing the officer at the end of the video talking to the other officer. "Just gave him a little ride on the Taser."

I think he was a little fast with his Taser. Tasers aren't intended to be attitude adjusting devices. Tasers can kill people.

He didn't, as he told the other officer, "Turn around or I'll Taser you."

TheCalvinator24

#13 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:00 pm

He's pointing the Taser at the guy and orders him to turn around and show his hands. Shouldn't have been too big a surprise to the guy that he got tased when he failed to comply.

I am sure the Trooper thought he had given the verbal warning. But, still, even without it, I still don't think the Trooper did anything inappropriate.

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:03 pm

Three Weekend Deaths Tied to Tasers
http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3886107&page=1
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

TheCalvinator24

#15 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:12 pm

The driver is full of crap. "I thought it was a gun." "That was an extremely scary moment."

He turned away from the Trooper and casually walked away.

Bixby17

#16 Post by Bixby17 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:27 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:He's pointing the Taser at the guy and orders him to turn around and show his hands. Shouldn't have been too big a surprise to the guy that he got tased when he failed to comply.

I am sure the Trooper thought he had given the verbal warning. But, still, even without it, I still don't think the Trooper did anything inappropriate.
The guy had a stupid attitude for trying to reason with a police officer instead of just yes sirring him.

But Tasers are not meant for attitude adjustments. In the context of everything, basically it looked like the officer was mad he was dealing with a mouthy guy. He was cuffing a guy for not signing a ticket? I am guessing that was the thing that mouthy guy didn't understand.

TheCalvinator24

#17 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:46 am

He was cuffing a guy for not signing a ticket? I am guessing that was the thing that mouthy guy didn't understand.
If you refuse to sign a ticket promising to appear, the Officer should arrest you. That way, you receive an enforceable order giving you a date by which you must appear in Court.

IMO, too often Officers don't arrest in that circumstance because they just don't want to deal with the hassle.

Bixby17

#18 Post by Bixby17 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:47 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
He was cuffing a guy for not signing a ticket? I am guessing that was the thing that mouthy guy didn't understand.
If you refuse to sign a ticket promising to appear, the Officer should arrest you. That way, you receive an enforceable order giving you a date by which you must appear in Court.

IMO, too often Officers don't arrest in that circumstance because they just don't want to deal with the hassle.
That's the thing that mouthy guy didn't understand. Sir, you have a choice. Please sign the ticket or get arrested.

traininvain

#19 Post by traininvain » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:07 am

I'm not sure who was the bigger jerk, the driver or the cop.
Enjoy every sandwich

peacock2121

#20 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:23 am

traininvain wrote:I'm not sure who was the bigger jerk, the driver or the cop.
What TiV said.

The thing is - the cop gets to be a bigger jerk in the moment. It comes with the badge.

Sort out the jerkiness later.

traininvain

#21 Post by traininvain » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:33 pm

Mentioned this to my father, he's a retired NYC Detective, he said the officer handled the incident poorly. Should have told the driver that he could either sign the summons or he would be placed under arrest. He also said that the taser is not a toy to be used when officer can't handle the incident.
Enjoy every sandwich

peacock2121

#22 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:43 am

What TiV's dad said.