Transcript 11/21/2007 - Mark Cunningham (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/21/2007 - Mark Cunningham (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:14 am

Mark Cunningham
Philadelphia, PA

Some people clip coupons, some people forage through the food aisles for free samples never buying a thing, but Mark takes this to a whole new level. He's a "frequent flyer junkie." If there's a good fare from Philadelphia to LA he'll take the flight two or three times in two or three days just to build up his miles. Meredith asks if he has a job. Mark replies that it's worth taking a few vacation days. He's been to Bali and to Egypt on his miles.

Mark claims to be a doctor when he's calling restaurants to get reservations. He gets good tables. He worries that someone might need medical attention while he's at the restaurant.

Mark has all of his lifelines.

$16K - Due to the distinct way their consonants are pronounced, the Khoisan languages of Africa are also known as what?

A - hum languages
B - snap languages
C - hiss languages
D - click languages

Mark is glad he has those lifelines. He wants to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 13%
B - 3%
C - 8%
D - 76%

Mark has great confidence in the audience (audience roars).

$25K - Because it can cause damage to the intestine, which of these foods is off-limits to a person who suffers from celiac disease?

A - poached egs
B - rice
C - wheat bread
D - steak tartare

Meredith says, "You're a doctor, this should be easy." Mark asks for the 50/50, leaving A and C. He then asks to call a friend, Micah. Mark reads the question and spells "celiac". Micah asks, "whole wheat". Mark says "wheat bread or poached eggs." This routine is repeated several times, then Micah says, "wheat bread is def..." Ironically, Micah is a real doctor. Meredith reminds Mark that Micah did try to give an answer, and Mark decides to go along with it.

Commercial break

Mark has a car with 160,000 miles on it and could use replacing. He'll continue to do the frequent flyer thing but stay in nicer hotels. Meredith says if he plays his cards right next time he calls a restaurant he can ask for a table for "Mark the millionaire."

$50K - What actress renamed herself at the age of fourteen after a minor character from "The Great Gatsby"?

A - Meryl Streep
B - Sigourney Weaver
C - Annette Bening
D - Charlize Theron

Mark needs to switch the question. Meredith says she thinks it's Sigourney; after the answer is revealed and the audience applauds, Meredith comments, "And I don't get a dime."

$50K (STQ) - Dinosaurs first appeared on Earth approximately how many years ago?

A - 5 million
B - 25 million
C - 125 million
D - 230 million

Meredith reminds Mark that it's a free guess. He goes with B and leaves with $25K.

ANSWERS:
$16K - D (click language)
$25K - C (wheat bread)
$50K - B (Sigourney Weaver)
$50K (STQ) - D (230 million)

earendel

Re: Transcript 11/21/2007 - Mark Cunningham (carryover)

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:00 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Mark Cunningham
Philadelphia, PA

Some people clip coupons, some people forage through the food aisles for free samples never buying a thing, but Mark takes this to a whole new level. He's a "frequent flyer junkie." If there's a good fare from Philadelphia to LA he'll take the flight two or three times in two or three days just to build up his miles. Meredith asks if he has a job. Mark replies that it's worth taking a few vacation days. He's been to Bali and to Egypt on his miles.
Interesting, and it does make me wonder what he does for a living that he has vacation time he can burn. Maybe he's a government employee.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Mark claims to be a doctor when he's calling restaurants to get reservations. He gets good tables. He worries that someone might need medical attention while he's at the restaurant.
That could get awkward.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Due to the distinct way their consonants are pronounced, the Khoisan languages of Africa are also known as what?

A - hum languages
B - snap languages
C - hiss languages
D - click languages
Isn't Xhosa in this language group? I seem to remember it's a "click language".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - Because it can cause damage to the intestine, which of these foods is off-limits to a person who suffers from celiac disease?

A - poached egs
B - rice
C - wheat bread
D - steak tartare
Celiac disease is one of those that gets mentioned on "House" a lot (along with lupus and sarcoidosis). The reality is rough - we have a good friend who suffers from this.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - What actress renamed herself at the age of fourteen after a minor character from "The Great Gatsby"?

A - Meryl Streep
B - Sigourney Weaver
C - Annette Bening
D - Charlize Theron
No idea, and I don't know if the audience would, either, so it's time for either PAF or STQ. Let's go with STQ.

$50K (STQ) - Dinosaurs first appeared on Earth approximately how many years ago?

A - 5 million
B - 25 million
C - 125 million
D - 230 million[/quote]

OK, the right answer isn't here - it's 6000 years ago :lol:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#3 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:41 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Mark Cunningham
Philadelphia, PA

Mark claims to be a doctor when he's calling restaurants to get reservations. He gets good tables. He worries that someone might need medical attention while he's at the restaurant.
Would serve him right! I want that table...

Never tried this. Didn't know it would make much difference unless perhaps you were in a pretty small town and everyone kinda sorta knew who you were.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:46 am

Dr Dick tried it. It never worked for him.

Shade

#5 Post by Shade » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:28 pm

A - 5 million
B - 25 million
C - 125 million
D - 230 million

I was really surprised he guessed 25 Million on this. I thought that most people knew that Dinosaurs went extinct 65 Million years ago so they couldn't have first appeared after they went extinct. I had it narrowed down to C or D. I can't say whether I would of gone with the right answer or not.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:45 pm

Shade wrote:$50K (STQ) - Dinosaurs first appeared on Earth approximately how many years ago?

A - 5 million
B - 25 million
C - 125 million
D - 230 million

I was really surprised he guessed 25 Million on this. I thought that most people knew that Dinosaurs went extinct 65 Million years ago so they couldn't have first appeared after they went extinct.
Except for the people who believe the correct answer is 6,000 years.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:50 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Some people clip coupons, some people forage through the food aisles for free samples never buying a thing, but Mark takes this to a whole new level. He's a "frequent flyer junkie." If there's a good fare from Philadelphia to LA he'll take the flight two or three times in two or three days just to build up his miles. Meredith asks if he has a job. Mark replies that it's worth taking a few vacation days. He's been to Bali and to Egypt on his miles.
This trick may pay off for people who live in major hubs like Philly; it certainly wouldn't from here. And even from Philly, one would have to discount the value of your time doing this. If you're burning up vacation days just to rack up the miles--no way!

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:55 pm

50K: Know Streep uses real name (for both names!). Know Weaver renamed herself, but don't know name was from Gatsby. Gulp & go with it.

STQ 50K; Say its my 100K: I suck at this. Its one of the 2 largest #s. 50/50 & hope it leaves a small & a large.

ghostjmf

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:05 pm

Sunday Morning just did a piece on these frequent-flier junkies. They at no point did any arithmetic to explain how buying pointless tickets & taking days off work (if you do work) taking pointless rides saves you more money than just paying for that perk you wanted when you do need to fly would cost. I don't believe it. Apparently, being in the "red lounge" or whatever club was enough of a perk for one interviewee, apparently.

A co-worker recently asked to buy any points off me (but I didn't have them on their already-ticketed airline) so as not to have to fly coach all the way to Hawaii, a route they fly at least once a year because they're from Hawaii. Now, on a flight that long, bigger seats might make sense. On my usually-2-hour flights, there would be no point.

Right now I have until March to buy something (it will be a magazine) from the website of an airline I haven't flown on in years just to keep my apparently over-25,000 points. Or I could pay a $25 fee (pretty silly, as the magazine is $20) to "keep my points alive". Since its complete news to me that I actually have 25,000 points, & didn't after I last flew on their airline, I figure they have goofed pretty good, & I'd better skoop up the free round-trip ticket before they realize their mistake.

On an airline I fly all the time, I'm going for the free flight to Hawaii, which takes 10,000 more than the 25,000+ points I already have.