Transcript 11/22/2007 - Haley Grassel

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/22/2007 - Haley Grassel

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:22 am

Haley Grassel
Bethel Park, PA
Teacher's aide and student

Meredith asks her about the audition process. Haley had to wait in line for a long time, the audition was in a nightclub and there was a life-size cutout of Meredith between the mechanical bull and the bar. Meredith jokes, "that was no cutout." Meredith says she didn't know they did that.

$100 - In a familiar nursery rhyme, what precedes the line "The mouse ran up the clock"?

A - Baa, baa black sheep
B - Hickory dickory dock
C - Rock-a-bye baby
D - Fee-fi-fo-exterminator

Haley says some people might want to call an exterminator if a mouse ran up their clock.

$200 - In a popular kids' joke, what U.S. state is said to be the "smartest" because it "has" four A's and one B?

A - Arkansas
B - Nevada
C - Alabama
D - Montana

$300 - Probably because of its color and enlongated shape, what musical instrument is often referred to as "the licorice stick?"

A - clarinet
B - trumpet
C - saxophone
D - trombone

$500 - By definition, a corporation that files for Chapter 11 is doing what?

A - selling stock
B - introducing new products
C - relocating
D - declaring bankruptcy

Meredith says she hopes Haley never has to do this.

$1K - Which of these groups of animals has the greatest total number of legs?

A - an ostrich, a bear and a spider
B - two bears and a spider
C - two spiders and an ostrich
D - six ostriches

Haley does the math and comes up with the correct answer.

$2K - TMZ.com, which takes its name from the "thirty-mile zone" around Hollywood, is a Web site that features what?

A - music downloads
B - book reviews
C - low-fat recipes
D - celebrity gossip

Haley has never been to it. She has an idea but she isn't sure. She thinks the audience looks pretty smart so she wants their help.

ATA results:
A - 6%
B - 2%
C - 3%
D - 89%

Haley said that's what she was thinking. She trusts the audience and goes with their answer.

Commercial break

Haley is studying to be an elementary school teacher, working with 4th and 5th grades. They are so bright and their personalities are starting to develop.

$4K - The highly porous structure of activated charcoal makes it useful for which of these tasks?

A - filtering water
B - tenderizing meat
C - mining vegetables
D - squeezing fruit juice

The answer Haley was expecting isn't up there. Meredith asks what she thought and Haley replies that charcoal is used in grills so she thought that would be there, but tenderizing meat is related to that. She asks to use the 50/50, leaving A and C. Neither of those is what Haley expected. She focuses on the word "porous" and thinks it would be useful for water. She decides to go with "A" as her final answer.

$8K - In 2007, Robert Zoellick replaced the embattled Paul Wolfowitz as the head of what international organization?

A - World Bank
B - UNICEF
C - International Red Cross
D - FIFA

Haley really has no idea but she does have a lifeline left. She decides to call her brother Steven. Haley reads the question, spelling Zoellick's last name. Steven says "I'm sorry, I just don't know" just as time runs out. $4K is a lot of money and she decides to walk away.

Commercial break

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (Hickory dickory dock)
$200 - C (Alabama)
$300 - A (clarinet)
$500 - D (declare bankruptcy)
$1K - C (two spiders and an ostrich)
$2K - D (celebrity gossip)
$4K - A (filtering water)
$8K - A (World Bank)

earendel

Re: Transcript 11/22/2007 - Haley Grassel

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:17 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Haley Grassel
Bethel Park, PA
Teacher's aide and student
Gotta root for the teachers.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1K - Which of these groups of animals has the greatest total number of legs?

A - an ostrich, a bear and a spider
B - two bears and a spider
C - two spiders and an ostrich
D - six ostriches
She stayed CLAM and worked through the math.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K - TMZ.com, which takes its name from the "thirty-mile zone" around Hollywood, is a Web site that features what?

A - music downloads
B - book reviews
C - low-fat recipes
D - celebrity gossip

Haley has never been to it. She has an idea but she isn't sure. She thinks the audience looks pretty smart so she wants their help.
I've never been to the site, either, but the mention of Hollywood should make the answer obvious.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Haley said that's what she was thinking. She trusts the audience and goes with their answer.
Once again a contestant wastes a lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - The highly porous structure of activated charcoal makes it useful for which of these tasks?

A - filtering water
B - tenderizing meat
C - mining vegetables

The answer Haley was expecting isn't up there. Meredith asks what she thought and Haley replies that charcoal is used in grills so she thought that would be there, but tenderizing meat is related to that. She asks to use the 50/50, leaving A and C. Neither of those is what Haley expected. She focuses on the word "porous" and thinks it would be useful for water. She decides to go with "A" as her final answer.
I was afraid she was going to bite on the distractor (her association of grilling and tenderizing meat) but she again stayed CLAM and finally came up with the right answer. I thought the answer would be "air filtering".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - In 2007, Robert Zoellick replaced the embattled Paul Wolfowitz as the head of what international organization?

A - World Bank
B - UNICEF
C - International Red Cross
D - FIFA

Haley really has no idea but she does have a lifeline left. She decides to call her brother Steven. Haley reads the question, spelling Zoellick's last name. Steven says "I'm sorry, I just don't know" just as time runs out. $4K is a lot of money and she decides to walk away.
She did the right thing. The transcript doesn't show that Haley read through the question at least twice.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:33 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $4K - The highly porous structure of activated charcoal makes it useful for which of these tasks?

A - filtering water
B - tenderizing meat
C - mining vegetables

Was "mining vegetables" really one of the choices? Sounds like a $100 joke answer.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K is a lot of money and she decides to walk away.
<grumble>®

Kazoo65

RE: transcript 11/22/07 Haley Grassel

#4 Post by Kazoo65 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:02 pm

Clueless contestant plus clueless PAF equals disaster.
I'm just a game show nerd.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:11 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Was "mining vegetables" really one of the choices? Sounds like a $100 joke answer.
That's mincing.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:40 pm

Oh my goodness

that is all

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:40 pm

2K: Never heard of this, but the clue gives it away.

so far so good