The most Bizarre thing I've ever seen in game show history!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Shade

The most Bizarre thing I've ever seen in game show history!

#1 Post by Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:06 pm

It concerns Are you Smarter than A Fifth Grader
Spoiler
Tonight on Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader a lady flunked out on the first question, it was a pretty hard one for 1st Grade Grammar I thought, right after she flunked out the host of Don't forget the Lyrics came on stage and invited her to come to the show, then she walked right from Fifth Grader to Lyrics, it was so werid. It almost seemed fixed or otherwise setup to happen exactly that way
Last edited by Shade on Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

takinover

Re: The most Bazar thing I've ever seen in game show history

#2 Post by takinover » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:07 pm

Shade wrote:It concerns Are you Smarter than A Fifth Grader
Spoiler
Tonight on Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader It almost seemed fixed or otherwise setup to happen exactly that way
The hell you say :?

Spelling Police
Merry Man

Re: The most Bazar thing I've ever seen in game show history

#3 Post by Spelling Police » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:11 pm

Re: The most Bazar thing I've ever seen in game show history!
Spoiler
Tonight on Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader a lady flunked out on the first question, it was a pretty hard one for 1st Grade Grammar I thought, right after she flunked out the host of Don't forget the Lyrics came on stage and invited her to come to the show, then she walked right from Fifth Grader to Lyrics, it was so werid. It almost seemed fixed or otherwise setup to happen exactly that way

Busted
when the sound is ee
it's i before e
except after c

Shade

#4 Post by Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:13 pm

Oh right I think it's Bizarre, the one I put was the market place.

Bob Juch

Re: The most Bizarre thing I've ever seen in game show histo

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Spoiler
Do you have even one doubt that was scripted?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Shade

#6 Post by Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:17 pm

I thought game shows weren't allowed to set things up like that, I read somewhere that it's illegal to fix a game show in favor of a particular outcome.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:20 pm

Shade wrote:I thought game shows weren't allowed to set things up like that, I read somewhere that it's illegal to fix a game show in favor of a particular outcome.
My 5th grader (at the time) tried out for the show, I have no doubt that shenanigans happen on a regular basis.

Have you ever noticed how the kids have earpieces? Or that the questions that are asked have no relevance to the Content Standards for Education in the State of California...

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Shade wrote:I thought game shows weren't allowed to set things up like that, I read somewhere that it's illegal to fix a game show in favor of a particular outcome.
There were some "secret" agreements signed by the networks in the 1950s with the FCC, but Fox wasn't around then of course.

Yes, there's a law about fixing the outcome, but doing it the way 5th Grader did is probably skirting the law. She probably wasn't considered a real contestant.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Shade

#9 Post by Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:25 pm

Well they are Fifth graders maybe the producers sometimes need to tell them to not react positivly or negativly to a person's answer. The women seemed really surprised, I can't imagine that she was acting. So I can only assume she wasn't in on it. If not, I think that was really, really creul of the Producers of Fifth Grader, that they gave her a purposly hard question just to embarass this women in front of Millions then only to
Spoiler
have her lose AGAIN on Don't Forget the Lyrics

Kazoo65

Re: most bizarre thing in game show history

#10 Post by Kazoo65 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:26 pm

I was also stunned by this. I wonder if she tried out for both shows. I hope she did better on "Lyrics".
I'm just a game show nerd.

Shade

#11 Post by Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:38 pm

I just lost some respect for Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader and it's producers if they purposely just humilated a poor unsuspecting women on a game show, just for a publicity stunt and to get me to watch Don't Forget The Lyrics (it worked, I really wanted to see what happened to her on Don't Forget The Lyrics). And I'm angry at the producers of Don't Forget the Lyrics for allowing this.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:43 pm

Bob Juch wrote: Do you have even one doubt that was scripted?
Spoiler
The contestant may have honestly missed the question. However...

1. I vehemently challenge the allegation that a grammar question about subjects and predicates is 1st Grade material.

2. The timing of her flunking out in the last minute of the show depended on Cody getting the answer wrong (so that he couldn't save her) when all four of his classmates got it right. Cody was instructed to take a dive, IMHO.

Humbug!

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Shade wrote:I just lost some respect for Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader and it's producers if they purposely just humilated a poor unsuspecting women on a game show, just for a publicity stunt and to get me to watch Don't Forget The Lyrics (it worked, I really wanted to see what happened to her on Don't Forget The Lyrics). And I'm angry at the producers of Don't Forget the Lyrics for allowing this.
You ever had any respect for them? :P

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:52 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler

1. I vehemently challenge the allegation that a grammar question about subjects and predicates is 1st Grade material.

2. The timing of her flunking out in the last minute of the show depended on Cody getting the answer wrong (so that he couldn't save her) when all four of his classmates got it right. Cody was instructed to take a dive, IMHO.

Humbug!
Spoiler
This type of Grammar is not part of the 1st grade curriculum. Kids are learning to read and spell.

Writing
1.0 Writing Strategies

Students write clear and coherent sentences and paragraphs that develop a central idea. Their writing shows they consider the audience and purpose. Students progress through the stages of the writing process (e.g., prewriting, drafting, revising, editing successive versions).

Organization and Focus
1.1 Select a focus when writing.
1.2 Use descriptive words when writing.

Penmanship
1.3 Print legibly and space letters, words, and sentences appropriately

1.0 Written and Oral English Language Conventions
Students write and speak with a command of standard English conventions appropriate to this grade level.

Sentence Structure
1.1 Write and speak in complete, coherent sentences.

Grammar
1.2 Identify and correctly use singular and plural nouns.
1.3 Identify and correctly use contractions (e.g., isn't, aren't, can't, won't) and singular possessive pronouns (e.g., my/ mine, his/ her, hers, your/s) in writing and speaking.

Punctuation
1.4 Distinguish between declarative, exclamatory, and interrogative sentences.
1.5 Use a period, exclamation point, or question mark at the end of sentences.
1.6 Use knowledge of the basic rules of punctuation and capitalization when writing.

Capitalization
1.7 Capitalize the first word of a sentence, names of people, and the pronoun I.

Spelling
1.8 Spell three-and four-letter short-vowel words and grade-level-appropriate sight words correctly.

Appa23

#15 Post by Appa23 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:47 pm

I was all ready to agree with everyone about the degree of difficulty of the 1st grade English question, but PSM's post caused me to look at the educational standards for our school district.

I discovered that my son is expected to know the subject and predicate of sentences by the end of the first grade. It is likely a 4th Quarter achievement standard, but it is still something that is taught in first grade.

Whadda know?!
Last edited by Appa23 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shade

#16 Post by Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:52 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler

Humbug!
That's what I was thinking, Cody might have done that.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#17 Post by kayrharris » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:54 pm

Appa23 wrote:I was all ready to agree with everyone about the degree of difficulty of the 1st grade English question, but PSM's post caused me to look at the educational standards for our school district.

I discovered that my son is expected to know the subject and predicate of sentences by the end of the first grade. It is likely a 4th Quarter achievement standard, but it is still something that is tauhgt in first grade.

Whadda know?!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#18 Post by kayrharris » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:56 pm

I just watched the show. No way was this woman surprised at losing on the first question or at being asked to go on Wayne Brady's Lyrics show.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#19 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:44 pm

kayrharris wrote:
Appa23 wrote:I was all ready to agree with everyone about the degree of difficulty of the 1st grade English question, but PSM's post caused me to look at the educational standards for our school district.

I discovered that my son is expected to know the subject and predicate of sentences by the end of the first grade. It is likely a 4th Quarter achievement standard, but it is still something that is tauhgt in first grade.

Whadda know?!

Here is a link to Nebraska content standards:
http://www.nde.state.ne.us/ndestandard ... ds_000.pdf

MarkBarrett

#20 Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:48 pm

Just because the bank teller lost in the last 10 minutes after the college guy was done doesn't make it the true sequence of events. I can see how the timing was suspicious and convenient, but didn't Wayne during "Don't Stop The Lyrics" say something about her losing in the first ten minutes of two shows?

5th Grader can piece the shows together with contestants out of order of true taping order, can't they?

I agree the whole crossover stunt was bizarre. If indeed the woman was a phony contestant on 5th Grader and tanked on purpose as part of a script to get the invite to Lyrics then Fox is worse than I thought.

Because the woman was just as bad on Lyrics I'm going to go out on a limb and say that everything was on the up and up and TPTB for both shows saw a chance to put this together on the spot without preplanning.

I know it seems crazy, but perhaps Wayne really was hanging around the taping, saw the woman blow it and felt bad? He then used his pull to get the woman a 2nd shot on his show and powers of the shows said "Why not?"

Of course the shows then coordinated the appearances back to back for the same airing night, but for all we know "Lyrics" was taped a day or more later to get everything in place.

15QuestionsAway

#21 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:03 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler

Humbug!
Spoiler
This type of Grammar is not part of the 1st grade curriculum. Kids are learning to read and spell.

Writing
1.0 Writing Strategies

Students write clear and coherent sentences and paragraphs that develop a central idea. Their writing shows they consider the audience and purpose. Students progress through the stages of the writing process (e.g., prewriting, drafting, revising, editing successive versions).

Organization and Focus
1.1 Select a focus when writing.
1.2 Use descriptive words when writing.

Penmanship
1.3 Print legibly and space letters, words, and sentences appropriately

1.0 Written and Oral English Language Conventions
Students write and speak with a command of standard English conventions appropriate to this grade level.

Sentence Structure
1.1 Write and speak in complete, coherent sentences.

Grammar
1.2 Identify and correctly use singular and plural nouns.
1.3 Identify and correctly use contractions (e.g., isn't, aren't, can't, won't) and singular possessive pronouns (e.g., my/ mine, his/ her, hers, your/s) in writing and speaking.

Punctuation
1.4 Distinguish between declarative, exclamatory, and interrogative sentences.
1.5 Use a period, exclamation point, or question mark at the end of sentences.
1.6 Use knowledge of the basic rules of punctuation and capitalization when writing.

Capitalization
1.7 Capitalize the first word of a sentence, names of people, and the pronoun I.

Spelling
1.8 Spell three-and four-letter short-vowel words and grade-level-appropriate sight words correctly.
California curriculum question for PSM:
Spoiler
Way back in the day, I remember diagramming sentences in the second grade. Is that still when kids learn about subjects and predicates?

BTW, I had no idea the kids wore earphones, and the show would have been 10 times better if Emma had been a contestant.

earendel

crossover game shows

#22 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:39 am

My opinion, FWIW, is that the woman was a legitimate contestant on both shows, but that they were not taped immediately after each other as was implied by the two shows. I base this on the "convenient" appearance of her family as her backup singers and Mom being in the audience. I suspect that this was a planned event, and they were just waiting for the opportunity to pull it off.

Unfortunately the woman proved to be only slightly better at lyrics than at trivia. At the $10K level she chose the category "TV Themes" and had to choose between "China Grove" (the theme song for DFTL) and "Green Acres". She chose the latter. She had to provide 5 words.

(Sung by Eddie Albert) Green Acres is the place to be.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide -
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

(Sung by Eva Gabor) New York
______ ______ ______ ______ ______

She had no clue, so she called upon one of her backup singers. As she did so she made comments about how she wasn't old enough to know this show and didn't have cable. Her backup was her cousin, who wasn't much older than she (if at all) and he had absolutely no idea. So she used her last backup, Three Lines.

1. (can't remember)
2. Is where I'd rather play.
3. Is where I'd rather stay.

She went with #2 and left with zero dollars. Her mom knew it. So the woman becomes the first person to walk away with zero dollars after back-to-back appearances on two game shows.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Appa23

#23 Post by Appa23 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:12 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
kayrharris wrote:

Whadda know?!

Here is a link to Nebraska content standards:
http://www.nde.state.ne.us/ndestandard ... ds_000.pdf
We might be just country bumpkins here, but Nebraska is not one big school district.

According to the standards that we received at the start of the school year, by the end of first grade, in our school district, each child is supposed to be able to identify and use simple, compound, and complete subject and predicate sentences.

Are you surprised that a school district might set standards that are higher than the minimum state standards?

Maybe this is an outgrowth of the fact that the Nebraska Department of Education has chosen to comply with NCLB by allowing each school district to create their own testing mechanisms.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#24 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:22 am

Appa23 wrote:[
We might be just country bumpkins here, but Nebraska is not one big school district
I understand that. I have read your comments about your district splitting up.

In California, school districts used to have flexibility to teach what they wanted and go beyond what California required. This worked fine until "No Child Left Behind" or as most of the teachers I know call it, "No Child Gets Ahead" started. Some of the things that schools taught were more advanced than what was on the test but kids weren't familiar with the stuff that was on the test, so the scores weren't great.

Now, everything schools teach is aligned with the content standards. There is nothing extra and most of the time nothing creative is taught. For instance, before the content standard alignment, Maddie had this really cool unit on Asian cooking and culture. The kids made food, sewed their own kimonos and sang songs. Stuff like this never happens now because some of the standards might be missed.

I just assumed that the same sort of content standard alignment happened everywhere. Apparently I was wrong.

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:30 am

MarkBarrett wrote:I know it seems crazy, but perhaps Wayne really was hanging around the taping, saw the woman blow it and felt bad? He then used his pull to get the woman a 2nd shot on his show and powers of the shows said "Why not?"
Yeah, right.

And like he said, he saw her and instantly recognized--as she set a record, fixed or not, for flunking out faster than anyone on 5th Grader--that she was a great contestant.

Humbug!

There were papers to sign, legal briefings to deliver, family members to plant in his audience, exemptions to the multiple game show appearances clause in the standard contracts to be approved--nothing about this stunt was spontaneous.

And like last season when we debated whether the kids' answers were being unfairly meddled with, I'd like to see Cody called up to a witness stand to testify. :evil: