Transcript 01/05/09 Afua Brown

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 01/05/09 Afua Brown

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:54 pm

Afua Brown
New York City, NY

Afua still has her PAF, DD and ATE.

Topic tree:
Patently False
Time Magazine
U.S. Elections
John Grisham
Knights
Fun with Acronyms
(2008 Headlines)
(Definition, Please)
(Great Scot!)
(Composers)
(Special Education)
(The Daily Grind)
(Very Clever Indeed)
(Salt Water)
(Motorheads)

Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Joel Stein, columnist with “Time” magazine.
Joel announces that he is a little nervous not only because of the pressures of being an ATE, but he also has a long-term debilitating crush on Meredith.
Meredith says that she has been reading Joel’s work for awhile and has a crush on him.

$25K Which of these common acronyms has a first letter that represents another acronym?
A. FEMA
B. LASIK
C. NASDAQ
D. GERD

Afua asks to use the DD. (7)

Her first choice is C. NASDAQ.

Her second choice is correct.

Spoiler
B. LASIK (2)

$50K Sir Nils Olav, a “soldier” in Norway’s elite King’s Guard, was knighted in 2008 despite what unusual fact about him?
A. He died in 1908
B. He is a fictional character
C. He is a large rock
D. He is a penguin

ATE (28)

Joel says that he has no idea, and he is not really an expert.
He likes the fact that the word soldier is in scare quotes. This leads Joel to believe that he is not really a soldier.

Joel thinks that “B” and “D” are the most reasonable choices.

Afua doesn’t believe her PAF would know, so she takes a guess.

Spoiler
D. He is a penguin ( 8 )

commercial break

$100K Which of the following has never been the title of a novel by John Grisham?
A. The Broker
B. The Partner
C. The Defendant
D. The Summons

PAF (31)

Afua’s PAF Team:

Cheryl from Washington, D.C. – Afua’s cousin
Nick from New York, NY – Afua’s boyfriend’s brother

Nick says he doesn’t know.

Afua decides to leave with $50K.

Spoiler
C. The Defendant (16)

Answers:
$25K B. LASIK
$50K D. He is a penguin
$100K C. The Defendant

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 01/05/09 Afua Brown

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:42 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Joel Stein, columnist with “Time” magazine.
Joel announces that he is a little nervous not only because of the pressures of being an ATE, but he also has a long-term debilitating crush on Meredith.
Meredith says that she has been reading Joel’s work for awhile and has a crush on him.
Go away now, Joel. Just...go away. :roll:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K Which of these common acronyms has a first letter that represents another acronym?
A. FEMA
B. LASIK
C. NASDAQ
D. GERD
What does GERD stand for? (Luckily, I don't need to know that to answer the question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K Sir Nils Olav, a “soldier” in Norway’s elite King’s Guard, was knighted in 2008 despite what unusual fact about him?
A. He died in 1908
C. He is a large rock
D. He is a penguin

ATE (28)

He likes the fact that the word soldier is in scare quotes. This leads Joel to believe that he is not really a soldier.

Spoiler
D. He is a penguin ( 8 )

NAC. When did this little human interest story get buried in the back of some newspaper? I see that Nils Olav has his own Wikipedia page, but that also provides grounds for an appeal of the question because it was Nils Olav II who was knighted! The first Nils Olav died, presumably of penguin old age, in 1987. He'd only been promoted to sergeant, at the time. :wink:

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K Which of the following has never been the title of a novel by John Grisham?
A. The Broker
B. The Partner
C. The Defendant
D. The Summons

NAC here, too. My hunch would have been that The Broker was most unrelated to the others. :(

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:01 pm

On the last show, I blew my PAF on the $8,000 question... so let's see how I do in the rest of Afua's game.

$25K: I know that FEMA (Federal) and NASDAQ (National) are wrong answers. I've never heard of GERD. I knew that the L in LASIK stood for Laser... but it never clicked in my head during the time of this question that "laser" stands for "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation". I would've Double Dipped on GERD and then LASIK.

$50K: Considering that I have only the ATA and ATE lifelines left, I doubt that either one of these lifelines would've helped me here. I had it between fictional character and penguin... and I would've picked penguin just because it sounded weird enough to be the correct answer.

$100K: I know that "The Partner" is a real Grisham book, but that's it. Ask the audience and see if anything pops out. Ask the expert if nothing is definitive. I'll likely walk away with the $50K unless either the audience or the expert is absolutely sure.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by etaoin22 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:01 pm

Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disorder. Now if you spelt it "oesophagus" I suppose you could say you suffered from GORD.

Didnt know about the penguin. Would have gone with Defendant.

Kazoo65

#5 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:05 pm

$25K-easy. The L i LASIK is for "laser".

$50K-You've got to be kidding. Who would know this??? I don't. I'd either DD or PaF and hope it can be Googled. What a WWOQ.

$100K-Another easy one for me. It helps that I spend lots of time at the library and Barnes & Noble!
I'm just a game show nerd.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#6 Post by clem21 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:06 pm

$100K Which of the following has never been the title of a novel by John Grisham?
A. The Broker
B. The Partner
C. The Defendant
D. The Summons

PAF (31)

Afua’s PAF Team:

Spoiler
C. The Defendant (16)
Oh what a question!

As a good aspiring lawyer I've read all of Grisham's books sans The Testament and The Appeal (His latest). He's a little repetitive but I like his writing, he's a little repetitive but I like his writing.
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by ontellen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:20 pm

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I recalled the story of the penguin. It was a filler story one day in the paper. I also knew the Grisham one since I've read all of his books.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Afua Brown
New York City, NY

Afua still has her PAF, DD and ATE.

Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Joel Stein, columnist with “Time” magazine.
In discussing Afua's first show I made this comment: Afua is in pretty good shape - even better since when her next show airs, she'll have a different expert than the one from this week. Turns out I spoke too soon. I don't know anything about Joel Stein but he looks very young (and the Skype connection looked bad, too).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K Sir Nils Olav, a “soldier” in Norway’s elite King’s Guard, was knighted in 2008 despite what unusual fact about him?
A. He died in 1908
C. He is a large rock
D. He is a penguin

ATE (28)

Spoiler
D. He is a penguin ( 8 )
I've never heard the term "scare quotes" before. I've heard "air quotes" in connection with someone who makes the gesture when speaking. I would have gone with PAF on this one, figuring it would be a quick and easy Google. And it turns out that Joel is no expert, but at least he knows he's no expert.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K Which of the following has never been the title of a novel by John Grisham?
A. The Broker
B. The Partner
C. The Defendant
D. The Summons

PAF (31)

Afua’s PAF Team:

Spoiler
C. The Defendant (16)
Time for the Double Dip - I figured it was either A or C.

So I'd be going for $250K with ATA and ATE still remaining. Not good lifelines to have in this situation, but better than nothing, I guess.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:42 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:What does GERD stand for? (Luckily, I don't need to know that to answer the question.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:49 am

earendel wrote: I've never heard the term "scare quotes" before. I've heard "air quotes" in connection with someone who makes the gesture when speaking. I would have gone with PAF on this one, figuring it would be a quick and easy Google. And it turns out that Joel is no expert, but at least he knows he's no expert.
Look in our political threads and you can probably find examples of scare quotes. Something like "scientists" say...where the quotes implicitly challenge the definition of the term.

And if Joel knows he's no expert, why did he accept the responsibility? Just to be able to chat with Meredith? :roll:

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:23 am

etaoin22 wrote:Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disorder. Now if you spelt it "oesophagus" I suppose you could say you suffered from GORD.
I have GORD all the time. Can't say I suffer from it. :wink:

gs
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

KillerTomato

#12 Post by KillerTomato » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:47 am

gsabc wrote:
etaoin22 wrote:Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disorder. Now if you spelt it "oesophagus" I suppose you could say you suffered from GORD.

gs

GORD! Klaatu barada nickto!
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

gsabc

#13 Post by gsabc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:29 am

KillerTomato wrote:
gsabc wrote:

gs
GORD! Klaatu barada nickto!
You do that and YOU can clean up the mess!
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:50 am

KillerTomato wrote: GORD! Klaatu barada nickto!
I just watched the original of that movie, before the holidays, and I've got one problem with the plot.
Spoiler
Everything depends on Klaatu delivering his message to all the leaders of the world at the same time, but they refuse to gather to talk to him, right? But later, to demonstrate his power to the scientists he'll talk to as the next best thing, he arranges to nullify all the electrical generation in the world for an hour (with the humanitarian exception of hospitals, etc.).

If he could do that, wouldn't it have been easier to do a global TV/radio broadcast on all channels, in the first place? :wink:

tlynn78

#15 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:10 am

I have GORD all the time. Can't say I suffer from it.
No, that would be GW.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
<ducking and covering>

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

smilergrogan

#16 Post by smilergrogan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:21 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Afua Brown
$50K Sir Nils Olav, a “soldier” in Norway’s elite King’s Guard, was knighted in 2008 despite what unusual fact about him?
A. He died in 1908
C. He is a large rock
D. He is a penguin

ATE (28)

Spoiler
D. He is a penguin ( 8 )

I thought for certain it couldn't be a penguin, because penguins aren't native to Norway. Goes to show that the correct answer isn't always logical, but it seems like it usually is below $250K or so.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#17 Post by frogman042 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:18 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
KillerTomato wrote: GORD! Klaatu barada nickto!
I just watched the original of that movie, before the holidays, and I've got one problem with the plot.
Spoiler
Everything depends on Klaatu delivering his message to all the leaders of the world at the same time, but they refuse to gather to talk to him, right? But later, to demonstrate his power to the scientists he'll talk to as the next best thing, he arranges to nullify all the electrical generation in the world for an hour (with the humanitarian exception of hospitals, etc.).

If he could do that, wouldn't it have been easier to do a global TV/radio broadcast on all channels, in the first place? :wink:
I think the answer might be
Spoiler
he wanted to meet with them not just to deliver a message but to get the response to the message as well - which can't be done via just a broadcast alone.

My plot problem is with how could he determine that there were no individual deaths due to the action. Someone in a private car being driven to the hospital, a person at home having a medical emergency (like a heart attack) and being unable to phone for help, crime victims being unable to call the police, etc. I could believe that gross exceptions to the process could be made - medical facilities and in-flight planes, etc. But there certainly would have to have been small tragedies - would that have just been acceptable collaterial damage?
---Jay