Transcript 11/23/2007 -- Sandra Bates

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/23/2007 -- Sandra Bates

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:34 am

<B><I>Sandra Bates</B>
Blue Springs, MO
Court Clerk</I>

Sandra can't quite believe she's here. She feels like she's home at last, she's home at last.

$100 - According to a famous saying that originated in the Bible, "the meek shall" do what?

A - Walk in the sun
B - Inherit the earth
C - Tend to the sick
D - Pick up Moses's dry cleaning

$200 - The Playskool toy "Dusty," who talks when you push him along carpet, looks like what type of home appliance?

A - Microwave
B - Vacuum cleaner
C - DVD player
D - Alarm clock

<B><I>THE HORN!</I></B>

<B><I>ANSWERS:</B>
$100 - B. Inherit the earth
$200 - B. Vacuum cleaner</I>

MarkBarrett

#2 Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:07 pm

Thank you to the transcript team and anyone else who helps. The 11/22 and 11/23 shows didn't air in my market, so I'm grateful for the chance I had to play along with the games on this board. Your effort is appreciated.

earendel

Re: Transcript 11/23/2007 -- Sandra Bates

#3 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 - According to a famous saying that originated in the Bible, "the meek shall" do what?

A - Walk in the sun
B - Inherit the earth
C - Tend to the sick
D - Pick up Moses's dry cleaning
There's a cartoon on a bulletin board at our church (from BC, I think) that has the caption, "That deal is looking worse and worse all the time."
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:10 am

A couple of quotes from tan's and my favorite author, riffing on the 100$ question...

"...the meek shall inherit the earth, a 6 foot plot above them."

"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars."

And, since the phrase was being discussed earlier...

"'Bread and Circuses' is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure."
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

tanstaafl2

#5 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:31 am

mrkelley23 wrote:A couple of quotes from tan's and my favorite author, riffing on the 100$ question...

"...the meek shall inherit the earth, a 6 foot plot above them."

"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars."

And, since the phrase was being discussed earlier...

"'Bread and Circuses' is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure."
I see we were on a similar wavelength. As I noted in that other thread:

"Some might say it is a rather apt description of the State of the Union (without particular regard to the major political affiliations as there seems to be little in the end to distinguish between either of them)."

Indeed the full context of quote seems increasingly on point since he first wrote it some 20 years ago, just before his death, in To Sail Beyond the Sunset.

"A perfect democracy, a 'warm body' democracy in which every adult may vote and all votes count equally has no internal feedback for self correction. It depends solely on the wisdom and self-restraint of citizens...which is opposed by the folly and lack of self-restraint of other citizens. What is supposed to happen in a democracy is that each sovereign citizen will always vote in the public interest for the safety and welfare of all. But what does happen is that he votes his own self-interest as he sees it...which for the majority translates as 'Bread and Circuses'

"Bread and Circuses is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader--the barbarians enter Rome."

Ah well, perhaps I should heed yet another little gem he offered:

Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

But that is gonna be tough given I tend to live by the tanstaafl corollary to Murphy's Law!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:38 am

BTW, tan, can't remember if this was posted here or not...

http://www.heinleinprize.com/
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks, hadn't seen that before.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:03 am

so far so good