Transcript 1/9/2009 - Carter Collison

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 1/9/2009 - Carter Collison

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:59 pm

Carter Collison
New York City, NY
recent college graduate

Carter is finding it tougher in the real world than he expected. He moved to NYC to live with two friends and ended up in the living room because apartments were so expensive. After a month they put up a wall so he could have some privacy. He expected that they'd be seeing plays and movies and going to the cool clubs. He didn't even know that he'd have to pay for drycleaning. He likes being on his own, though, because no one tells him what to do, no classes to attend. Carter's whole family is in the audience - sister Courtney, mom and dad Harry and Mary, brother Taylor and girlfriend Julia,

Topic tree:
- Good Gosh Almighty!
- Prize Money
- You've Got Mail
- Take Some Pride
- Unusual Words
- Spies Like Us
- Touch of Whimsy
- Who am I?
- Full Frontal
- Vertebrates
- Any Regrets
- Strike Zone
- Internet Startups
- America's Best
- Michael Crichton

$100 - Which of these Michael Crichton novel titles is also the name of a country?
A - Airframe
B - Congo
C - Sphere
D - Jurassic Parkistan
Spoiler
B - Congo (7)
$200 - A stethoscope appears on the cover of a 2008 issue of U.S. News and World Report that ranks "America's Best" what?
A - cars
B - law schools
C - hospitals
D - churches
Spoiler
C - hospitals (8)
$300 - As its name imples, WhosDatedWho.com is a Web site dedicated to what subject?
A - celebrity romances
B - vintage cars
C - sports trivia
D - stock market tips
Spoiler
A - celebrity romances (6)
$500 - "'Strike one,' the umpire said" is a line from what famous poem?
A - A Visit from St. Nicholas
B - The Raven
C - Casey at the Bat
D - Paul Revere's Ride
Spoiler
C - Casey at the Bat (6)
$1K - In a 2008 interview, who did Oprah Winfrey ask, "If you could take it back, would you still jump on the sofa?"
A - Harrison Ford
B - Brad Pitt
C - Tom Cruise
D - Ben Affleck
Spoiler
C - Tom Cruise ()
Carter says he has no clue but goes with the correct answer. Afterward Meredith told Carter's mom that he just wanted to scare her a little.

Having reached the $1K level Carter has earned the Ask the Expert lifeline. Today's expert, as he has been all week, is Time writer Joel Stein.

$2K - What animals are some of the only adult vertebrates with the ability to regrow a limb that has been cut off?
A - giraffes
B - penguins
C - bats
D - salamanders
Spoiler
D - salamanders (23)
$4K - In the classic novel, "All Quiet on the Western Front," where is the western front?
A - South Africa
B - France
C - India
D - Canada
Spoiler
Carter has an idea but wants to ask the audience anyway, so with 23 seconds remaining on the clock, he does so.

ATA results:
A - 10%
B - 70%
C - 6%
D - 14%

That was what Carter was thinking, so he goes with the audience's answer.

Someone in the audience shouts out "You got it!", prompting Meredith to turn around and look.

B - France (18)
commercial break

Carter is a real estate agent. Meredith says she knows that Carter studied hard for the show and that there's one category that no one could stump him in - Harry Potter. She asks if he went to the midnight book premieres and he replies that he went, complete with lightning bolt scar.

$8K - Who is Marshall Bruce Mathers III?
A - CEO of General Motors
B - finder of King Tut's tomb
C - Captain America's alter-ego
D - rap star Eminem
Spoiler
D - rap star Eminem (20)
$16K - What European city is home to the famously whimsical architecture of Antonio Gaudi?
A - Barcelona
B - Paris
C - Florence
D - Lisbon
Spoiler
A - Barcelona (23)
During the break Carter told Meredith that his goal was to reach $16K.

$25K - In 2008, the U.S. Government confirmed that which of these celebrities was once part of a World War II-era spy ring?
A - Ethel Merman
B - Julia Child
C - Carol Channing
D - Jacqueline Susann
Spoiler
Carter doesn't waste any time. He wants to "Skype the expert", so with 21 seconds on the clock, Joel Stein comes onscreen. Joel doesn't know the answer, but he's pretty sure that it's Julia Child because he knows she served in World War II. Carter isn't sure at all, although he was leaning toward Child. He asks Joel how certain he is; Joel replies that he's not a very sure person about anything, but he thinks he's about 75% sure with Carter's money.

As soon as the clock starts Carter asks for the Double Dip, stopping the clock with 20 seconds left. His first answer is "Julia Child". Meredith says, "No...need to ask what your second answer was."

B - Julia Child (16)
commercial break

Meredith recaps the stories that we've already heard, then asks what Carter is going to do to celebrate. Carter asks what Meredith is doing. "Sugar daddy you," Meredith says, then adds, "I'm doing laundry."

$50K - What is a snickersnee?
A - long boat
B - thin insect
C - large knife
D - broad hat
Spoiler
Carter has no idea so he decides to Phone a Friend, stopping the clock with 35 seconds left.

Carter's PAF list is his friend Joe from NYC, his brother's fiancee Liz, from NYC and his high school guidance counselor Bob from Orlando, FL. He decides to call Joe. Meredith says hello and asks Joe how far he thinks Carter has gone. Joe says Carter is pretty smart so he's probably up to $25K, which Meredith confirms as correct. Carter spells the word, then reads the choices. Joe thinks it's a "sword-like knife" but time runs out before he can say how sure he is. Carter says he has no other guess, so he says, "C - bring it home, Joe - final answer."

C - large knife (28)
Carter asks if Meredith knew the answer; she says she didn't. Carter thinks maybe he'll go out and buy one after the show but Meredith cautions him that he probably doesn't want to be seen walking around NYC with a large knife. So Carter changes his mind and says maybe he'll buy a long boat. Meredith says he can do anything he wants.

$100K - National Hispanic Heritage Month begins on the 15th of what month?
A - September
B - November
C - July
D - May
Spoiler
Carter says he thinks he remembers this from Spanish class in high school but he can't remember the month. He wants to say it's May buts Since he has no lifelines left he's going to take his $50K and walk away.

A - September (11)

gsabc

Re: Transcript 1/9/2009 - Carter Collison

#2 Post by gsabc » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:35 pm

While I applaud his reasonable outcome, I have one line to comment on.
During the break Carter told Meredith that his goal was to reach $16K.
I would hope he meant that he wanted to reach at least $16K, and that his goal was to win $1MM.

Did they ever say what his college major was? Does he actually work as a real estate agent, or did he just take the exam? Any indication that he's a WE/WE in disguise?
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:22 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Carter Collison
New York City, NY
WE®
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:- Good Gosh Almighty!
- Prize Money
- You've Got Mail
- Take Some Pride
- Unusual Words
- Spies Like Us
- Touch of Whimsy
- Who am I?
- Full Frontal
- Vertebrates
- Any Regrets
- Strike Zone
- Internet Startups
- America's Best
- Michael Crichton
First 8 look good. Whimsy and spies might be trouble. I'm sometimes good with unusual words. A mixed bag for me.

$4K: I've never read or seen "All Quiet on the Western Front". I'll have to ask the audience as well.

$16K: No clue on this one. Gotta phone somebody.

$50K: Never heard of a snickersnee. Since I doubt that the "expert" would know it, I would Double Dip on boat and hat.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:14 pm

$500 - "'Strike one,' the umpire said" is a line from what famous poem?
A - A Visit from St. Nicholas
B - The Raven
C - Casey at the Bat
D - Paul Revere's Ride
Yeah, but does he know what the final score was?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Kazoo65

#5 Post by Kazoo65 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:55 pm

I thought this stack was easy.

I recognized "snickersnee" from "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll. That poem is full of strange nonsencial words.

We have a Hispanic heritage festival every September-that's how I knew the $100K question.
I'm just a game show nerd.

slam

#6 Post by slam » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Kazoo65 wrote:I thought this stack was easy.

I recognized "snickersnee" from "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll. That poem is full of strange nonsencial words.
I agree that the poem is filled with wonderful words though they aren't really nonsensical.

And...

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:17 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K - National Hispanic Heritage Month begins on the 15th of what month?
A - September
B - November
C - July
D - May
Spoiler
Carter says he thinks he remembers this from Spanish class in high school but he can't remember the month. He wants to say it's May buts Since he has no lifelines left he's going to take his $50K and walk away.

A - September (11)
I had this question in a Play It! stack. If memory serves, it was in the middle tier. And I missed it that time. This time, I remembered. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:17 am

This would have been a great stack for me. I remember Gaudi's architecture from the Barcelona Olympics, and snickersnee from The Mikado. Didn't know Hispanic Heritage Month, though.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:30 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote: $4K: I've never read or seen "All Quiet on the Western Front". I'll have to ask the audience as well.
A trivia note, the author of AQOTWF, Erich Maria Remarque, was Paulette Goddard's third or fourth husband, (but clearly her last) depending on whether or not she was married to Charlie Chaplin before she married Burgess Meredith. I know, now you're going to say who the hell is Paulette Goddard. :shock:

edited to correct the number of marriages
Last edited by themanintheseersuckersuit on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#10 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:45 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote: $4K: I've never read or seen "All Quiet on the Western Front". I'll have to ask the audience as well.
A trivia note, the author of AQOTWF, Erich Maria Remarque, was Paulette Goddard's second or third husband, (but clearly her last) depending on whether or not she was married to Charlie Chaplin before she married Burgess Meredith. I know, now you're going to say who the hell is Paulette Goddard. :shock:

Did she have anything to do with rockets?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ne1410s

#11 Post by ne1410s » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:54 pm

I know, now you're going to say who the hell is Paulette Goddard. :shock:
I think she plays Abbie on NCIS...
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

WheresFanny
???????

#12 Post by WheresFanny » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 pm

A trivia note, the author of AQOTWF, Erich Maria Remarque, was Paulette Goddard's second or third husband, (but clearly her last) depending on whether or not she was married to Charlie Chaplin before she married Burgess Meredith. I know, now you're going to say who the hell is Paulette Goddard. :shock:
Poor, forgotten Paulette. If only she hadn't been unable to produce a marriage certificate and played Scarlett O'Hara, maybe more people would remember her. My favourites were The Cat and the Canary and So Proudly We Hail. I also liked that novelty number she did with Veronica Lake and Dorothy Lamour.

Speaking of great movies, I knew snickersnee from the Mikado via Topsy-Turvy.

I didn't know Hispanic Heritage Month although, living in an area with a sizeable Mexican population, I probably should have. And, now that I type that, I seem to recall seeing adverts in the past about HHM, but I never would have recalled it in the hot seat, especially with a clock breathing down my neck.
Last edited by WheresFanny on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We, the HK Brigade, do hereby salute you, Marley, for your steadfast devotion to ontopicosity. Well done, sir!

WheresFanny
???????

#13 Post by WheresFanny » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:00 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:

Did she have anything to do with rockets?
Ha! I was thinking that Paulette Goddard actually did make some sort of contribution or held patents of some type during the Second World War, but I'm probably just mixing her in with Hedy Lamarr.

Everytime you answer your cell phone, thank Hedy!
We, the HK Brigade, do hereby salute you, Marley, for your steadfast devotion to ontopicosity. Well done, sir!

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:59 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Carter Collison
New York City, NY
recent college graduate

Carter is finding it tougher in the real world than he expected. He moved to NYC to live with two friends and ended up in the living room because apartments were so expensive. After a month they put up a wall so he could have some privacy. He expected that they'd be seeing plays and movies and going to the cool clubs. He didn't even know that he'd have to pay for drycleaning. He likes being on his own, though, because no one tells him what to do, no classes to attend. Carter's whole family is in the audience - sister Courtney, mom and dad Harry and Mary, brother Taylor and girlfriend Julia.
So what kind of graduates are our universities turning out these days?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - In the classic novel, "All Quiet on the Western Front," where is the western front?
A - South Africa
B - France
C - India
D - Canada
Spoiler
Carter has an idea but wants to ask the audience anyway, so with 23 seconds remaining on the clock, he does so.

ATA results:
A - 10%
B - 70%
C - 6%
D - 14%

That was what Carter was thinking, so he goes with the audience's answer.

Someone in the audience shouts out "You got it!", prompting Meredith to turn around and look.

B - France (18)
First off, Carter, you shouldn't have wasted a lifeline on this question - you'll regret it later. Second, don't TPTB tell the audience not to shout out and do other things to disrupt the show?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - What European city is home to the famously whimsical architecture of Antonio Gaudi?
A - Barcelona
B - Paris
C - Florence
D - Lisbon
Spoiler
A - Barcelona (23)
elwing's comment on this question was "We didn't get to see enough of it." We had issues with the transportation system.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:During the break Carter told Meredith that his goal was to reach $16K.
And here I thought the name of the show was "Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - In 2008, the U.S. Government confirmed that which of these celebrities was once part of a World War II-era spy ring?
A - Ethel Merman
B - Julia Child
C - Carol Channing
D - Jacqueline Susann
Spoiler
Carter doesn't waste any time. He wants to "Skype the expert", so with 21 seconds on the clock, Joel Stein comes onscreen. Joel doesn't know the answer, but he's pretty sure that it's Julia Child because he knows she served in World War II. Carter isn't sure at all, although he was leaning toward Child. He asks Joel how certain he is; Joel replies that he's not a very sure person about anything, but he thinks he's about 75% sure with Carter's money.

As soon as the clock starts Carter asks for the Double Dip, stopping the clock with 20 seconds left. His first answer is "Julia Child". Meredith says, "No...need to ask what your second answer was."

B - Julia Child (16)
Of course Joel doesn't know the answer - some expert he's been.
For which side? :mrgreen:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - What is a snickersnee?
A - long boat
B - thin insect
C - large knife
D - broad hat
Spoiler
Carter has no idea so he decides to Phone a Friend, stopping the clock with 35 seconds left.

Carter's PAF list is his friend Joe from NYC, his brother's fiancee Liz, from NYC and his high school guidance counselor Bob from Orlando, FL. He decides to call Joe. Meredith says hello and asks Joe how far he thinks Carter has gone. Joe says Carter is pretty smart so he's probably up to $25K, which Meredith confirms as correct. Carter spells the word, then reads the choices. Joe thinks it's a "sword-like knife" but time runs out before he can say how sure he is. Carter says he has no other guess, so he says, "C - bring it home, Joe - final answer."

C - large knife (28)
"Snee" comes up quite often in crossword puzzles.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K - National Hispanic Heritage Month begins on the 15th of what month?
A - September
B - November
C - July
D - May
Spoiler

A - September (11)
I never have understood why this particular heritage month starts in the middle of a month when all the others run concurrently with the month.

It was a nihil obstat® stack for me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:31 am

earendel wrote:Second, don't TPTB tell the audience not to shout out and do other things to disrupt the show?
Yes, the warm-up comedian warns the audience about that, but some people have trouble following directions. At clem's taping, there were a couple women who I thought TPTB might have to eject. Somehow, they lasted it out, though.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#16 Post by frogman042 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:19 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote: ... SNIP...
I know, now you're going to say who the hell is Paulette Goddard. :shock:
... SNIP...
:)

If you don't get my reference, then get with the times, man. Modern ones at least.

---Jay