Twenty-One

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Shade

Twenty-One

#1 Post by Shade » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:12 pm

Has anyone here ever been a contestant of Twenty-One, I was watching a rerun of it on GSN and I was thinking. Do they really let you have all that money in pure cash? I would be a little nervous carrying at least 25,000 dollars in cash around in a black bag through the streets of Los Angles.

They put all that cash in a bag but I was thinking that it might be that they give you all that cash just for the cameras and in the back stage they take it back and mail you a check.

As a little side question, I was wondering. Twenty-One was a good game show in my opinion. Why do you think it only had 1 season? My guess is that Millionaire overshadowed it with it's popularity and it couldn't compete.

dodgersteve182

#2 Post by dodgersteve182 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:34 pm

no they send you a check after the original airdate of the show. And usually it's regular mail and not registered mail as you might expect.
It went off the air when all of the other tradiitional quiz shows were panned by the networks. i.e. "reality" and "reality based game shows" are the new golden boys and girls of the prime time schedules. It's sad in my opinion but that's the "reality" of it all. the preferred audience comprised of 18-29 year old viewers want the new shows and not the traditional quiz genre so we are stuck with them for now.
BTW my Old PT Millionaire Episdoe aired tonight on GSN.Darn it I still didn't make it into the hot seat after six years! It was kind of funny because we had a friend of ours came over for dinner tonight and she had to endure a double dose of yours truly. :roll:

Shade

#3 Post by Shade » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:00 am

I might have seen you I watched Millionaire the other night. Although I wouldn't of recognized you.

Yeah that's pretty much what I expected about them not actually giving you the money in cash. I hate Reality shows, I wish Game Show would make a more successful come back. Is it just me or is some of the new game shows like Power of 10, Deal or No Deal and Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader struggling a bit.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: Twenty-One

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:29 am

Shade wrote:Has anyone here ever been a contestant of Twenty-One, I was watching a rerun of it on GSN and I was thinking. Do they really let you have all that money in pure cash? I would be a little nervous carrying at least 25,000 dollars in cash around in a black bag through the streets of Los Angles.
Another reason why they wouldn't give you cash is that contestants need to pay tax on the money. If a non-resident of California wins, the State of California mandates that money is taken out of the check automatically, if the show is filmed in California.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:40 am

Shade wrote:Is it just me or is some of the new game shows like Power of 10, Deal or No Deal and Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader struggling a bit.
How many episodes of those have you seen recently? :P

"Power of 10" is dead.

"Deal or No Deal" has low ratings due to overexposure but might be back after the WGA strike affects prime-time programming.

Ditto for "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader".
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Kazoo65

RE: Twenty One

#6 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:17 am

I actually liked this show, even though I think Maury Povich was not a great choice for a host.

As a fan of traditional game shows, I find the new "reality" game shows boring. DoND is the most boring of all-or as my s.i.l calls it "the lottery with boobs". There's no skill involved at all, just standing there looking excited while picking numbers. I have the feeling one of the main requirements for this show is being able to scream loudly.

I only saw some of "Power of 10". The concept is interesting, but I didn't see too much of a play-at-home aspect to it.

5th Grader is the closest to a real game show that's on right now- except for 1 vs. 100 (when will that one return? I liked it, too). The only thing I don't like about 5th Grader is they manage to find some of the dumbest people on the planet and put them on national TV. I yell at the TV when I watch that show :)

What I'd love for them to bring back-either "Tic Tac Dough" or "The Joker's Wild" both of which I loved growing up in the 70's and 80's. There were elements of both skill and luck involved, and you needed to have functioning brain cells in order to do well!
I'm just a game show nerd.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:29 am

I would like to see a return of Match Game.

Shade

#8 Post by Shade » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:14 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Shade wrote:Is it just me or is some of the new game shows like Power of 10, Deal or No Deal and Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader struggling a bit.
How many episodes of those have you seen recently? :P

"Power of 10" is dead.

"Deal or No Deal" has low ratings due to overexposure but might be back after the WGA strike affects prime-time programming.

Ditto for "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader".
Are you serious, Is Power of 10 really dead? Offically. Say it isn't so, How will Drew Carey eat....wait that's right, he still has The Price is Right, lol. Seriously though I really liked the Power of 10 is it really canceled? :(

Timsterino

#9 Post by Timsterino » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:57 pm

The Power of 10 is not dead. It will be back, it is currently on hiatus.
Tim S.
Twitter: @BrowardAdvocate
Instagram: @TimWSternberg
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sternberg

Shade

#10 Post by Shade » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:34 pm

Good, I thought it was an excllent show. It was very different from a lot of other game shows I've seen.