Transcript 01/12/09 Nate Odinga

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 01/12/09 Nate Odinga

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Nate Odinga
Clarkston, MI
High school English teacher, basketball and football coach

Nate still has his PAF and DD lifelines.

Topic tree:

Two of a Kind
The Oval Office
Counting Cards
When We Left Earth
Historic Events
Internet Hoaxes
Blond Ambition
Off to the Races
When Insects Attack!
Rock Trios
Investing Wisely
Boob Tube
(Advertising Age)
(Good Advice)
(Heavenly Bodies)

$500 Which of these hit TV shows becomes the name of another hit TV show when the suffix “-ette” is tacked on to its end?
A. The Mole
B. The Hills
C. The Bachelor
D. The Simpsons
Spoiler
C. The Bachelor (9)
$1K To emphasize its “go anywhere” investment strategy, Fidelity named its Magellan Fund after a famous what?
A. Sculptor
B. Explorer
C. Architect
D. Inventor
Spoiler
B. Explorer (9)
Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Lucy Dansziger, Self magazine’s editor-in-chief.

$2K In their 2008 farewell concert, Stewart Copeland, Andy Summers and Sting appropriately performed a song with whom?
A. Boys Choir of Harlem
B. New York City Police Band
C. Metropolitan Opera Chorus
D. U.S. Marine Band
Spoiler
B. New York City Police Band ( 18 )
$4K A serious threat to many ecosystems, the hemlock woolly adelgid is an insect that feeds on what?
A. Fish
B. Trees
C. Birds
D. Grass

PAF ( 18 )

Nate’s PAF team:

Gary from Troy, MI – Gary’s friend and retired police office
Jenelle from Shelby Township, MI – Gary’s sister and high school history teacher
Matt from Sterling Heights, MI – Gary’s brother

PAF – Jenelle

Nate reads the question, repeats the second half of the question spelling out adelgid and then gives the choices.

Jenelle: The hemlock woolly adelgid?

Nate: Adelgid. A-D-E-L-G-I-D, six seconds.

Janelle : What does it feed on?

Nate: Fish, trees, birds or grass.

Janelle: Nate I don’t …

Time expires.

Nate says he thinks he has a decent idea and decides to take a chance.

Spoiler
B. Trees (10)

commercial break

$8K Each year, the Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore hosts which of these horse racing events?
A. Kentucky Derby
B. Belmont Stakes
C. Breeders’ Cup
D. Preakness Stakes

Nate: I have a pretty good idea. I'm going to use my Double Dip.

DD ( 18 )

Nate’s first choice, Belmont Stakes, is incorrect.

Nate’s second choice is correct.

Spoiler
D. Preakness Stakes (14)
$16K Famous for his bushy shock of light-blond hair, Boris Johnson is mayor of what world city?
A. London
B. Dublin
C. Sydney
D. Rome

ATE (22)

Lucy says she has no idea and asks Nate if he would like to talk it out with her.
She thinks it may be Sydney or Dublin because of the blond hair. She says Boris Johnson doesn’t really sound like an Italian name, but she honestly doesn’t know.

Nate decides to leave with $8K.

Spoiler
A. London (9)

Answers:
$500 C. The Bachelor
$1K B. Explorer
$2K B. New York City Police Band
$4K B. Trees
$8K D. Preakness Stakes
$16K A. London

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 01/12/09 Nate Odinga

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:21 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Lucy Dansziger, Self magazine’s editor-in-chief.
Another useless "expert", I'm predicting.

$4K: I know that hemlock is plant, but I can't remember if it's a tree or a grass. I'll try the audience.

$8K: Dammit. I was afraid that this show would eventually ask this question. I keep forgetting which racetrack hosts the Belmont and which racetrack hosts the Preakness. I'll have to burn my Double Dip.

Kazoo65

#3 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:32 pm

!6K-I was pretty sure it was London-I remember that Mayor Johnson was at the closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics-since London is going to host the 2012 Games.

I think it's this year we find out which city gets the 2016 Games-and Chicago is in the running. I think a torch relay through Kalamazoo would be NEAT. My mom saw the '96 torch run through Washington DC when she was attending a United Way conference there.
I'm just a game show nerd.

madamemeisha

#4 Post by madamemeisha » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:05 pm

This would have been a horrible stack for me. I barely knew any of them off the top of my head! I had to stare at the Police question for about 45 seconds before it clicked. Just goes to show it's really the luck of the draw.

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:37 am

Kazoo65 wrote:I think it's this year we find out which city gets the 2016 Games-and Chicago is in the running.
You are correct on both. October 2 is the scheduled announcement. The IOC always announces the winning host city 7 years before said Olympiad takes place. I need to check up on which cities are still in the running... and they are Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:33 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Nate Odinga
Clarkston, MI
High school English teacher, basketball and football coach
Pulling for him because he's a teacher.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Lucy Dansziger, Self magazine’s editor-in-chief.
Another "expert". At least she mention her areas of expertise, none of which are particularly germane to trivia.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K A serious threat to many ecosystems, the hemlock woolly adelgid is an insect that feeds on what?
A. Fish
B. Trees
C. Birds
D. Grass

PAF ( 18 )

Nate’s PAF team:

Gary from Troy, MI – Gary’s friend and retired police office
Jenelle from Shelby Township, MI – Gary’s sister and high school history teacher
Matt from Sterling Heights, MI – Gary’s brother

PAF – Jenelle

Nate reads the question, repeats the second half of the question spelling out adelgid and then gives the choices.

Jenelle: The hemlock woolly adelgid?

Nate: Adelgid. A-D-E-L-G-I-D, six seconds.

Janelle : What does it feed on?

Nate: Fish, trees, birds or grass.

Janelle: Nate I don’t …

Time expires.

Nate says he thinks he has a decent idea and decides to take a chance.

Spoiler
B. Trees (10)
Perhaps if he had taken time to read the question (yeah, I know, TDC) he would have realized that the hemlock is a tree. Why did he go with the lifeline if he had "a decent idea"?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K Each year, the Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore hosts which of these horse racing events?
A. Kentucky Derby
B. Belmont Stakes
C. Breeders’ Cup
D. Preakness Stakes

Nate: I have a pretty good idea. I'm going to use my Double Dip.

DD ( 18 )

Nate’s first choice, Belmont Stakes, is incorrect.

Nate’s second choice is correct.

Spoiler
D. Preakness Stakes (14)
In this case his decision served him well, if his "pretty good idea" was his first answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K Famous for his bushy shock of light-blond hair, Boris Johnson is mayor of what world city?
A. London
B. Dublin
C. Sydney
D. Rome

ATE (22)

Lucy says she has no idea and asks Nate if he would like to talk it out with her.
She thinks it may be Sydney or Dublin because of the blond hair. She says Boris Johnson doesn’t really sound like an Italian name, but she honestly doesn’t know.

Nate decides to leave with $8K.
Spoiler
A. London (9)
This strikes me as a WWOQ. I'd have figured it wasn't Rome, and possibly not Dublin (Irish people being more known for red hair than blond, Lucy). This seems like a perfect Google PAF question, so that's what I would have done.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:12 am

earendel wrote:
Another "expert". At least she mention her areas of expertise, none of which are particularly germane to trivia.
I really wonder how they select their experts (aside from those who are veterans of the Hot Seat). They seem to choose a lot of media people, but Self magazine? In this case, they said Lucy had appeared with Meredith on both The View and Today; are they all acquaintances of hers?

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:30 am

The Hemlock Woolly Adelgid makes us a whole boatload of money.

Thank you very much.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:33 am

peacock2121 wrote:The Hemlock Woolly Adelgid makes us a whole boatload of money.

Thank you very much.
So Sting should have been this week's expert.

They even gave him a shout-out in this stack! 8)

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:34 am

Quite the crappy obscure 16K question. Has this guy been in the US news recently to make it even likely that we might have known about him in this country? I confess I wouldn't even know most major US city mayors outside of Bloomberg and my own city. Then again CindyBAM has never been really interested in giving away much prize money and frequently throw this type of Q in at the 8K-25k level.

Of course if the cast member hadn't trashed his other lifelines already then maybe he could get this one. Certainly a fairly easy google PAF.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh