December QOD

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)

If Fantine33 does the QOD, what format do you prefer?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:44 pm

ONE question a day, it's called that for a reason.
19%
Whatever the hell format she wants it to be, I'll take what I can get.
74%
Gee, I kind of wanted to do it...
3%
QOD? We don't need no stinkin' QOD.
3%

Total votes: 31

fantine33

December QOD

#1 Post by fantine33 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:44 pm

YAY a poll!!1

mrkelley23

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:14 pm

As long as there's no questions about serial killers, I don't care how many, what format, what bonuses, or anything else, Miss Fanny. :twisted:
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

christie1111
11:11

#3 Post by christie1111 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:15 pm

I wouldn't of answered WGAS, but tradition would suggest it be added.

:P
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:31 pm

Change it to The Quiz of the Day. It's still the QoD.

Do what you want - I will play.

Did I say

YIIIPPPPEEEE!!!!!!

a1mamacat

#5 Post by a1mamacat » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:57 pm

well I'll give it a go, as I think Fanny will make it mucho amusante (sp). I have found most of the QoDs too intimidating, in that they showcase what the writer knows, rather than encouraging people to show what they know, if you know what I mean.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#6 Post by cindy.wellman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:51 am

There weren't any VINNY!!!!!1 answers, so I did the best I could with what was there.

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:15 am

a1mamacat wrote:well I'll give it a go, as I think Fanny will make it mucho amusante (sp). I have found most of the QoDs too intimidating, in that they showcase what the writer knows, rather than encouraging people to show what they know, if you know what I mean.
I know what you mean

and

as someone who has hosted, it is so much easier to ask about things that I know, because there is less work involved in finding questions and answers.

I know it's lazy, and sometimes, lazy wins out.

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:35 am

As another who has hosted, and put up with the slings and arrows of question critiquement (a process which has slowed, if not squelched, the enthusiasm of our young friend Shade) I would say the temptation to write questions on what you know best is more of a defense mechanism against the inevitable not-quite-complaints. You know what I mean -- the oh-so-helpful side commentary that gave rise to the whole MBFFB image.

"While it is true that suchandso was blahblahblah in 1919, it should also be noted that thisnthat was also blahblahblah in 1823! And even though thisnthat was not one of the choices, and my answer wasn't marked wrong, I feel I should point this out, just in the interest of clarification, of course."
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

peacock2121

#9 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:17 am

mrkelley23 wrote:As another who has hosted, and put up with the slings and arrows of question critiquement (a process which has slowed, if not squelched, the enthusiasm of our young friend Shade) I would say the temptation to write questions on what you know best is more of a defense mechanism against the inevitable not-quite-complaints. You know what I mean -- the oh-so-helpful side commentary that gave rise to the whole MBFFB image.

"While it is true that suchandso was blahblahblah in 1919, it should also be noted that thisnthat was also blahblahblah in 1823! And even though thisnthat was not one of the choices, and my answer wasn't marked wrong, I feel I should point this out, just in the interest of clarification, of course."
Mikey!

You did that a little bit too well.

mrkelley23

#10 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:29 am

I left it out of that post, but I have been (and continue to be, if I'm not eternally vigilant) one of the worst offenders in terms of this ego-based question questioning. That's why I can imitate it so well.

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:31 am

and

I jusy get pissy and whiney when I think I am right and 'they' are wrong.

How do you spell whiney? whinie? whiny?

someone will tell me.

fantine33

#12 Post by fantine33 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:34 am

mrkelley23 wrote:As long as there's no questions about serial killers, I don't care how many, what format, what bonuses, or anything else, Miss Fanny. :twisted:
Don't steal my sunshine, mrk! I didn't think anybody would remember my prediliction for serial killers. Damn, I guess that blows my Serial Killers of the Midwest Wednesday and A Jack the Ripper Christmas.
christie1111 wrote:I wouldn't of answered WGAS, but tradition would suggest it be added.
If it was a just for fun, smart ass poll like I do in the Jipter Fantasy League (VINNY!!!!11), then I would have, but the results actually mean something to me. Everybody voting for the standard joke response would have defeated the purpose. So I count a non-vote as selecting the WGAS option.
a1mamacat wrote:well I'll give it a go, as I think Fanny will make it mucho amusante (sp). I have found most of the QoDs too intimidating, in that they showcase what the writer knows, rather than encouraging people to show what they know, if you know what I mean.
Ha, I don't know how amusante I will be, but we all know I don't have nearly the diligence required to spend the time looking up things in order to write crazy questions that show how smart I am.

And the questions won't be twisted enough so that the responses can prove same. But mrk put it so well, that I'll just pretend I wrote his post. Ha!

Luuucy, it will not be fun! I order you to have no fun!

I heard a rumour somewhere that peacock said YIPPPEEEE. Can anybody confirm that?

fantine33

#13 Post by fantine33 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:48 am

mrkelley23 wrote:I left it out of that post, but I have been (and continue to be, if I'm not eternally vigilant) one of the worst offenders in terms of this ego-based question questioning. That's why I can imitate it so well.
Okay, then it's agreed! All serial killers, all the time! No physics, EVER!!1

Seriously, if I just wrote about subjects to which my taste runs, then people might get tired of nothing but Basketball, Beethoven, True Crime, Renaissance Art and 80's Hair Bands. Although I will admit to knowing a wee bit about Physics, if for no other reason than my mad crush on Stephen Hawking. So I feel compelled to actually do a tad of research to encompass remedial and low brow subjects like math, science and geography. Ha!

I will say that the reason I don't think my questions will be too difficult is that my afore-mentioned laziness will dictate that I write stuff I already know. And, for the stuff I don't, my searchiness will just scratch the surface of that subject.

But I might misjudge difficulty, it will be a feeling out process. Because I think it's easy to assume and undervalue things you know and overvalue things you don't. Like how everybody mocked the ease of the miles to the sun million dollar question. I had no freaking idea, it could have been 1 million or 204750623 gajillion for all I knew. But I could have knocked a lot of the unanswered million dollar questions out of the park, so who knows?

fantine33

#14 Post by fantine33 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:46 am

At this point, I think maybe all who are going to vote have done so, although I think I left it open for five days.

Since I didn't get any "no, please, for the love of all that is holy, DON'T!!!!!11" responses and only one, "we don't need one at all", I guess it's a go. I see one other person might want to do it, but they didn't identify themselves so I don't know if that was serious. If nobody speaks up for the job by, say, tomorrow, I'll run with it. That would give me a couple days to prepare.

I see that Calvinator has started up the November one again, but I didn't see any explanations. If it is going to spill into December, could you let me know so I can just back away slowly?

I'm surprised that the one question a day option got so many votes. Not so many number wise, but a higher percentage than I thought. Yes, I realize that with such a small sample the percentages are skewed, but I think I might have a way to make everybody, if not happy, then mollified. We'll see.