College Bowl

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Shade

College Bowl

#1 Post by Shade » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:18 pm

Has anyone ever particupated in college bowls, I am about to in 45 minutes. I don't know why I didn't ask for advice/wisdom from the all knowing game show fan community before. I have no idea what to expect, I have a feeling that a guy who watches Millionaire everyday doesn't really have much of a chance without actually practicing quickally answering trivia questions.

Excuse my spelling I'm in a hurry and the spell check isn't working.

Bob Juch

Re: College Bowl

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:22 pm

Shade wrote:Has anyone ever particupated in college bowls, I am about to in 45 minutes. I don't know why I didn't ask for advice/wisdom from the all knowing game show fan community before. I have no idea what to expect, I have a feeling that a guy who watches Millionaire everyday doesn't really have much of a chance without actually practicing quickally answering trivia questions.

I was in the Rose Bowl once. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:17 pm

My daughter Maddie participates in High School level NAQT, Quiz Bowl. The questions that she encounters are a lot harder than what appears on Teen or Kid Level Jeopardy! (Some are more difficult than regular Adult Jeopardy!)

Because the questions are so specific, categories are assigned to each person on the core team. She is the Lit, Music, Art and Pop Culture person. She is welcome to buzz in on other stuff (she often answers Math and History) but she studies her assigned areas.

I have seen some of the College level NAQT questions, they are hard.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: College Bowl

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:19 pm

Shade wrote:Has anyone ever particupated in college bowls, I am about to in 45 minutes. I don't know why I didn't ask for advice/wisdom from the all knowing game show fan community before. I have no idea what to expect, I have a feeling that a guy who watches Millionaire everyday doesn't really have much of a chance without actually practicing quickally answering trivia questions.

If you are serious about participating in College Bowls, you should study the "You Gotta Knows" for NAQT.

http://www.naqt.com/YouGottaKnow/

Shade

#5 Post by Shade » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:35 pm

Wow, being a trivia expert is hard work.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:41 pm

Shade wrote:Wow, being a trivia expert is hard work.
If you want to get better at it, it's hard work.

My daughter thought that she knew a lot and there were high expectations on her due to her Jeopardy! win, but the first time she did NAQT, she got one question during an hour long practice.

She spent the summer studying and is much better now. At the last competition, she had the 4th highest average PPG on her team, which was fabulous considering that she is a Freshman and the rest of her team are Juniors and Seniors. (Her average PPG was in the top 20 out of about 100 players.)

Kids who have been doing NAQT since High School have a huge advantage in NAQT College Tournaments.

Shade

#7 Post by Shade » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:33 am

My team won, not too much thanks to me. throughout the whole thing I only got 3 questions right.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:24 am

You need to start studying Shade.

Shade

#9 Post by Shade » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:51 am

What material do you suggest? I bought a book called "The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy" I have an almanac, a world map and a dictionary. Any suggestions.

Practice questions seem useless because they wouldn't ask the same question twice.

mrkelley23

#10 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:54 am

Shade wrote:What material do you suggest? I bought a book called "The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy" I have an almanac, a world map and a dictionary. Any suggestions.

Practice questions seem useless because they wouldn't ask the same question twice.
I have often found handy lists in the World Almanac.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#11 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:04 am

Shade wrote:What material do you suggest? I bought a book called "The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy" I have an almanac, a world map and a dictionary. Any suggestions.

What is your area of expertise?

Start by memorizing the "You Gotta Know Lists." Get subscriptions to Mental Floss, People and Entertainment Weekly. Then figure what your area is and start reference books in that area. If your area is Art, the Annotated Mona Lisa is a good start.

DadofTwins

#12 Post by DadofTwins » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:24 pm

Read over a few packets of practice questions, then practice writing a packet or two. The best way I know of to get better at answering questions is to write questions. Not only do you get a feel for the way questions are constructed, but you also run across lots of information that doesn't make it into your packet.

Remember the Jeopardy UTOC? The three finalists were a guy who wrote his own high school quiz show, a former writer/editor for NAQT, and a former member of the writing staff for WBSM. Nobody else in the tournament had their writing experience.
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:37 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:If your area is Art, the Annotated Mona Lisa is a good start.
Hmmm, I just looked this up on Amazon and it sounds interesting!

Then I checked my library's online catalog. It couldn't find it.
Did you mean Annotated moan Lisu?
Um, noooooo... :roll:

Maybe I can find it at the next Friends of the Library booksale.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 pm

I agree about writing questions. Maddie and her teammates have "homework" to write 5 to 10 questions a week.

Maddie's best question:

Sufferers of this medical condition include British singer Lily Allen, American Idol winner Carrie Underwood, as well as actor Mark Wahlberg. Fictional characters with this condition include James Bond villain Francisco Scaramanga, Friends character Chandler Bing and Krusty the Clown from The Simpsons. Sufferers of this condition, called polythelia, have what distinguishing characteristic?
Spoiler
Answer: Three nipples or extra nipples.

TheConfessor

#15 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:17 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Maddie's best question:

Sufferers of this medical condition include British singer Lily Allen, American Idol winner Carrie Underwood, as well as actor Mark Wahlberg. Fictional characters with this condition include James Bond villain Francisco Scaramanga, Friends character Chandler Bing and Krusty the Clown from The Simpsons. Sufferers of this condition, called polythelia, have what distinguishing characteristic?
Spoiler
Answer: Three nipples or extra nipples.
"Sufferers?" How much actual suffering is involved? Seems like it might be more of an asset than a liability. I'd heard about Chandler Bing and Krusty, but I didn't know about Lily Allen or Carrie Underwood. Are there photos or other documentation of this?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#16 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:35 am

TheConfessor

#17 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:18 am

Wikipedia confirms those and several other examples. No word about any "suffering," however.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernumerary_nipple

Shade

#18 Post by Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:07 pm

What is the best way to study?

-Read and take notes, then study the notes alone?
-Highlight things that you don't know and the next time you open the book try to learn the highlighted stuff and only breifly look at the unhighlighted?
-Simply keep re-reading over and over again?
-Making Flash Cards and only using the flash cards to study?
-Other?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#19 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:05 pm

Shade wrote:What is the best way to study?

-Read and take notes, then study the notes alone?
-Highlight things that you don't know and the next time you open the book try to learn the highlighted stuff and only breifly look at the unhighlighted?
-Simply keep re-reading over and over again?
-Making Flash Cards and only using the flash cards to study?
-Other?
I make Maddie about 60 new flash cards a week. Since she is Lit/Music/Art, it's mostly Creator/Creation Questions.

She goes to practice three times a week and has to take notes of stuff that she didn't know.

She reads constantly and writes questions for the team.

Shade

#20 Post by Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:30 pm

Is she studying to be a Millionaire contestant too? It sounds like with all that training she could do it.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#21 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:32 pm

Shade wrote:Is she studying to be a Millionaire contestant too? It sounds like with all that training she could do it.
She's only 14.

She's already won $20,401 on Jeopardy!

Shade

#22 Post by Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:40 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Shade wrote:Is she studying to be a Millionaire contestant too? It sounds like with all that training she could do it.
She's only 14.

And by 18 she'll be the next Nancy Christy intelligence wise. 20,401 dollars is a start but from what you are telling me I have confidence that she could win 100,000 dollars, at least, on Millionaire if she got on.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#23 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 pm

Shade wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
She's only 14.

And by 18 she'll be the next Nancy Christy intelligence wise. 20,401 dollars is a start but from what you are telling me I have confidence that she could win 100,000 dollars, at least, on Millionaire if she got on.
It all depends on the stack.

MarleysGh0st

#24 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:05 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: She's already won $20,401 on Jeopardy!
Shade might enjoy reading the transcript of that from the J-Archive:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=550

Dang, was that really over two years ago? :shock:

earendel

#25 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:25 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:... it's mostly Creator/Creation Questions.
As opposed to evolution??? :lol: :lol:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."