Transcript 11/26/07 Sandra Bates

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/26/07 Sandra Bates

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:11 pm

Sandra Bates
Blue Springs, MO
Court clerk

Sandra composed a Top 10 Billboard hit in 1955 called “Eat, Drink, and be Merry.”

In 1955, Sandra and her twin sister, Celia, went into the Andrew Jackson Hotel in Nashville where a young man waved them over and started talking to them. She says he was very nice and had a gentlemanly way about him.
They had just started talking to him when their father came and pulled them away.
He said he didn’t trust anybody with long sideburns like that.
The young man was Elvis.

Sandra still has all of her lifelines.

Meredith mentions that Sandra tried out for the show seven times.

$300 “Royal” is often used to describe a deep shade of which of these colors?
A. Pink
B. Orange
C. Blue
D. Gray

$500 Since its start in 1884, the Louisville Slugger sporting goods company has been based in what U.S. state?
A. Kentucky
B. Ohio
C. Missouri
D. Illinois

$1K If four out of five dentists recommend chewing trident gum, that represents exactly what percentage of dentists?
A. 60
B. 70
C. 80
D. 90

$2K What classic rock song’s first line urges you to “get your motor runnin’, head out on the highway”?
A. Purple Haze
B. My Generation
C. Light My Fire
D. Born to be Wild

ATA

2% A. Purple Haze
0% B. My Generation
2% C. Light My Fire
96% D. Born to be Wild

$4K Kiddingly referred to as the only food that is “made” backwards, Edam is a type of what?
A. Fruit
B. Pasta
C. Cheese
D. Vegetable

commercial break

$8K A mixture consisting of 70% isopropanol and 30% water is commonly sold in pharmacies under what generic name?
A. Hairspray
B. Rubbing alcohol
C. Contact lens solution
D. Mouthwash

50/50 leaves A. Hairspray and B. Rubbing alcohol

PAF- Susan, Sandra’s twin sister’s daughter

Sandra says “isopropanol”, spells it out and gives the choices.
You can hear Susan repeating what Sandra says to someone else.
Susan does not answer in time.

Sandra guesses wrong and leaves with $1K.

Meredith says that she thought Sandra was correct.

Answers:
$300 C. Blue
$500 A. Kentucky
$1K C. 80
$2K D. Born to be Wild
$4K C. Cheese
$8K B. Rubbing alcohol

Kazoo65

RE: transciprt 11/26/07 Sandra Bates

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:55 pm

I liked her-she seemed like a nice lady and I wanted her to do well, especially after Meredith said it took her 7 tries to get into the Hot Seat-hmmm,, probably too many pop culture questions on the test?

That last question was tough for the level. Having to spell that long word made it even harder. I wonder if you could Google that one.
I'm just a game show nerd.

Bob Juch

Re: RE: transciprt 11/26/07 Sandra Bates

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:46 pm

Kazoo65 wrote:I liked her-she seemed like a nice lady and I wanted her to do well, especially after Meredith said it took her 7 tries to get into the Hot Seat-hmmm,, probably too many pop culture questions on the test?
So how does a woman from Missouri get to try seven times? Did she fly to New York? If so, she lost money on the deal.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#4 Post by hermillion » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:16 am

So how does a woman from Missouri get to try seven times? Did she fly to New York?
Blue Springs is a suburb of Kansas City. BAM has been to Tulsa at least three times, and to St. Louis, either of which is about a 4-hour drive, and I know lots of folks who've done similar trips. I'd say she's probably had many opportunities -- without having to buy airplane tickets.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 11/26/07 Sandra Bates

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:39 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:[ Sandra Bates
Blue Springs, MO
Court clerk

Sandra composed a Top 10 Billboard hit in 1955 called “Eat, Drink, and be Merry.”

In 1955, Sandra and her twin sister, Celia, went into the Andrew Jackson Hotel in Nashville where a young man waved them over and started talking to them. She says he was very nice and had a gentlemanly way about him.
They had just started talking to him when their father came and pulled them away.
The young man was Elvis.
A senior citizen contestant, which is rare enough. And I presume that most of her life has been normal enough. But her hook is What Else.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:[Meredith mentions that Sandra tried out for the show seven times.
And Meredith doesn't explain what the difference was on the seventh time. Did she fail the written test six times or did it take this long to decide to mention the meaningless celebrity encounter?

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:07 am

We have no idea what her hook was. Looking at my time in the hot seat, you would say my hook was something that I never even talked about in my interview. what you call my hook, would be something they got from the form I filled out after I was already booked for the show.

There is 'the hook', then there is what they want to talk about in the hot seat. Very well could be two different things.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:23 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:[ Sandra Bates
Blue Springs, MO
Court clerk

The young man was Elvis.
A senior citizen contestant, which is rare enough. And I presume that most of her life has been normal enough. But her hook is What Else.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:[Meredith mentions that Sandra tried out for the show seven times.
And Meredith doesn't explain what the difference was on the seventh time. Did she fail the written test six times or did it take this long to decide to mention the meaningless celebrity encounter?
She became an actress.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:14 am

hermillion wrote:
So how does a woman from Missouri get to try seven times? Did she fly to New York?
Blue Springs is a suburb of Kansas City. BAM has been to Tulsa at least three times, and to St. Louis, either of which is about a 4-hour drive, and I know lots of folks who've done similar trips. I'd say she's probably had many opportunities -- without having to buy airplane tickets.
Yep, I was just there last weekend.

She still probably lost money on the deal.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:27 am

Bob Juch wrote: She still probably lost money on the deal.
By her persistence, she proved she's "one of us." I doubt that the profit motive was as important as the challenge of getting to sit in the hot seat.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:49 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Sandra Bates
Blue Springs, MO
Court clerk

I turned on the show yesterday and was graced with a reprieve of last Monday's show (the one with Anne Boyd on it). I'm not sure why the station messed this up.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith mentions that Sandra tried out for the show seven times.
Only seven???
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 Since its start in 1884, the Louisville Slugger sporting goods company has been based in what U.S. state?
A. Kentucky
B. Ohio
C. Missouri
D. Illinois
There was a brief time when the plant was in Jeffersonville, Indiana - it moved there from Louisville because it needed more space. Then as Louisville downtown began to be revitalized, Hillerich and Bradsby was lured back across the river.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K A mixture consisting of 70% isopropanol and 30% water is commonly sold in pharmacies under what generic name?
A. Hairspray
B. Rubbing alcohol
C. Contact lens solution
D. Mouthwash
I've heard it called "isopropyl alcohol", but it's common name is "rubbing alcohol". Not to be taken internally, even if you strain it through a loaf of bread.

What a shame! It looked as if Sandra was on her way to a good run but her PAF let her down. Once again, an example of failure to practice.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#11 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:10 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Sandra Bates
Blue Springs, MO
Court clerk

What a shame! It looked as if Sandra was on her way to a good run but her PAF let her down. Once again, an example of failure to practice.

While her PAF did indeed let her down perhaps they don't get all the blame. The contestant burned the ATA on a question that 96% of the audience got right. And according to her history she presumably had a little bit of music savvy. I don't pay much attention to music but even I knew that one! Maybe it was an age thing since I presume she was 65 or more. In any case I suppose if you don't know the answer you have to trash the lifeline.

if she had the ATA maybe she doesn't flame out on the 8K. And you usually want to try to save lifelines if you can as the 16K often seems to be a more difficult, or at least obscure, question.

No doubt in order to try to preserve the run of thousandaires...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ghostjmf

#12 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:07 am

so far so good