Annie the Upright

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Annie the Upright

#1 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:45 pm

Under the influence and protection of a morphine drip, Annie managed to stand up and take a few steps this morning. I just got back from visiting her, and she was upright again. The vet says that there's no promise, but a possibility that she may be able to come home, along with a morphine patch to help control pain, as early as tomorrow afternoon.

We'll investigate rehab for her drug problem as needed.

MarleysGh0st

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:51 pm

Yay, Annie!

Get back to your laptop quickly, so you can tell us what really happened!

It was the Martians, wasn't it?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:04 pm

Hooray for Annie!

Thank you for the updates!

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:08 pm

Way to go Annie Girl. Enjoy those drugs while you can!

(They say medical-reason morphiners rarely get addicted, among people that is, by the way.)

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:16 pm

ghostjmf wrote: (They say medical-reason morphiners rarely get addicted, among people that is, by the way.)
I didn't know that, and I'm glad to hear it. (I will knock on wood right here, but I've never had any kind of injury that required heavy-duty pain drugs. I don't have any basis of comparison about what's most effective and how long anything can be taken before there's a risk of dependency.)

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:21 pm

WooHoo! Yay for Annie!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

otherindigo

#7 Post by otherindigo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:32 pm

This is really good news. I'm so glad to hear it.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:35 pm

Great news!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

melleon

#9 Post by melleon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:39 pm

So happy to hear you baby girl is on the mend. mel

ne1410s

#10 Post by ne1410s » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:58 pm

Great news, sliv! Hang in there, Annie.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

Bruce the Wonder Cat
Four-Footer

Re: Annie the Upright

#11 Post by Bruce the Wonder Cat » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:40 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Under the influence and protection of a morphine drip, Annie managed to stand up and take a few steps this morning. I just got back from visiting her, and she was upright again. The vet says that there's no promise, but a possibility that she may be able to come home, along with a morphine patch to help control pain, as early as tomorrow afternoon.

If I might, I would suggest that morphine is far overrated for its effects-- I strongly recommend catnip: after a 'nip blunt or three, even if something hurts, YOU WON'T CARE. And I know catnip's not addictive, because I could quit any time.

And I bet that the problem was caused by a squirrel, probably that jackass who jumps up on my window and shakes his tail at me (I haven't seen him for a few days, and it would be just like him to go out to Oklahoma, wherever that is, and start terrorizing dogs).

Good luck to Miss Annie, I'm looking forward to performing in the opera.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#12 Post by kayrharris » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:47 pm

WTG, Annie! Keep getting better every single minute.

We all miss you.

marrymeflyfree

#13 Post by marrymeflyfree » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:57 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Under the influence and protection of a morphine drip, Annie managed to stand up and take a few steps this morning. I just got back from visiting her, and she was upright again.

Yay! Upright is good. :-)

As for doggie rehab, I have an aunt who has wondered about such things. She is a bonafide dog lover. 4'11" and been breeding & showing St Bernards longer than I've been breathing. She had one a few years back who had some serious knee problems, requiring surgery. But he was so big that it could never heal properly - so they did a second surgery and decided to keep him sedated for a few weeks to keep him off the leg. He was never the same afterward...easily startled, aggressive, moody, etc. She did everything she could to re-socialize him, hoping that time would bring back the happy dog she'd had before - but 4 years or so later, she ended up putting him down. It was devastating for her, but even her husband couldn't get near him. It had been decades since they'd been without a dog (or 5), but it took her a few years after that to start to consider getting another one. But of course his was an extreme case. She still questions the vets' call to keep him sedated for so long, but said there was really no other good option.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#14 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:03 pm

YESSSS!!!!!!

Go Annie Go!!!

Whatta champ!!!

Cue Chumbawumba..

"She gets knocked down, but she gets up again..
You're never gonna keep her down"
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#15 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:25 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
ghostjmf wrote: (They say medical-reason morphiners rarely get addicted, among people that is, by the way.)
I didn't know that, and I'm glad to hear it. (I will knock on wood right here, but I've never had any kind of injury that required heavy-duty pain drugs. I don't have any basis of comparison about what's most effective and how long anything can be taken before there's a risk of dependency.)
PAFBoy and I agreed you only want to take Vicodin when something hurts. If nothing hurts and you take it, you just feel ick. I had some when I had my tonsils out - at least the jokers were nice enough to make it liquid instead of pills, but it is very nasty-tasting liquid, which may help prevent addiction also.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

fantine33

#16 Post by fantine33 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:40 pm

And an Upright Annie is Grand!

I take Vicodin every day of my life and it ain't affected me none (twitch).

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#17 Post by ontellen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Yay for Annie! Hope things continue to go well. I had morphine both times with my knee replacements but only for about 3 days. I couldn't stay awake. After that I was given Oxycontin which sucks. I preferred good old Tylenol instead.

5LD

#18 Post by 5LD » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:49 pm

Great news, Miss Annie!!! rooting for coming home soon!

Ah yes. The morphine.

I had it for the first time last Nov. 18th after my emergency c-section.

Hubby said I would start a sentence, snore and then wake up an finish it.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#19 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:53 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Way to go Annie Girl. Enjoy those drugs while you can!

(They say medical-reason morphiners rarely get addicted, among people that is, by the way.)
When my brother had his spleen out, he lied about how much pain he was in after the surgery so they'd give him less morphine -- he was terrified of addiction and probably suffered needlessly. I don't think he would have become addicted. The docs probably knew he was lying but respected his wishes. They probably saw it the other way around in most other Viet vets, and I'm sure they respected those wishes too.

I think Annie will be fine -- I know she's just as tough if not tougher than my brother.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#20 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:05 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
When my brother had his spleen out, he lied about how much pain he was in after the surgery so they'd give him less morphine -- he was terrified of addiction and probably suffered needlessly. I don't think he would have become addicted. The docs probably knew he was lying but respected his wishes. They probably saw it the other way around in most other Viet vets, and I'm sure they respected those wishes too.

I think Annie will be fine -- I know she's just as tough if not tougher than my brother.
Annie has given me impossibly high standards for dealing with adversity. I have had the thought that if I lost a leg in an accident, I'd have to say, "No big deal, really. I have another one."

fuzzywuzzy

#21 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:06 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Under the influence and protection of a morphine drip, Annie managed to stand up and take a few steps this morning. I just got back from visiting her, and she was upright again. The vet says that there's no promise, but a possibility that she may be able to come home, along with a morphine patch to help control pain, as early as tomorrow afternoon.

Yes! Morphine is a good thing!

Better living through Chemistry!

sc, Thank goodness your girl is getting better! :)

Annie is some tough cookie... :)

When you can, please administer many scritches to Miss Annie from me!

fuzzy
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

a1mamacat

#22 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:14 pm

hooray hooray.

Come home soon, Miss Annie. We miss you
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#23 Post by hermillion » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:20 am

Good news, indeed! Let's get our girl home ASAP.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

Ritterskoop

#24 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:33 am

Yay!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

ghostjmf

#25 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:23 am

serious discussion here about addiction: Everything I've ever read about it says the % of people who trace their addiction to opiates to a stay in the hospital where they were given some for physical pain is very, very low. Its not non-existent, but surprisingly low, especially to theorists who had theorized that it would be otherwise.

A lot of people needlessly refuse medication that would ease their pain because of fear of such addiction. On the other hand, people who have used these drugs previously as recreation know their own attraction to them & would refuse them out of genuine fear of waking up the old habit; post-surgery doctors probably can't sort these people out (at least not the ones who aren't covered with needle scars), unless told directly by the people.

One big issue in the "care for the terminally ill" field is doctors' insistence that they not give people in terrible physical pain enough opiates for fear they'll get addicted; the response from the patients & their relatives themselves is "so what if they do get addicted; they're dying, for pity's sake". (Just to spell it out, they're not going to be on the street 4 years later knocking over drugstores for their fix. And probably neither is Annie, for completely different "hard to hold the gun in a paw" sort of reasons.)