Transcript 01/19/2009 Connie McClellan (Carryover contestan

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 01/19/2009 Connie McClellan (Carryover contestan

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Connie McClellan (Carryover contestant)
Detroit, MI

"The Cookie Lady" - wants to start her own bakery

Expert and Double Dip available

Expert: A.J. Jacobs, a former Millionaire contestant and author of the best selling book "The Know It All"

Topic tree:
- Man's Best Friend
- Can I Quote You?
- Zero Gravity
- Antarctica
- Dinosaurs
- It's Greek to Me
(Who Am I)
(Isn't It Ironic)
(Booze)
(Pinball Wizard)
(Scientific Names)
(Posers)
(The Beach Boys)
(You're Golden)
(Hillary Clinton)

$25K (It's Greek to Me):
What African country's capital derives its name from a Greek word meaning "three cities"?
A. Libya B. Sudan
C. Morocco D.Ethiopia

Expert at :24
ATE
AJ " Oh, ok I got it... The Greek word would be Tripoli, because three is Tri and poli is city. So I'm pretty sure Tripoli, Libya"
Connie "You're scaring me ... then How how how sure are you?"
AJ "I'm gonna say, I don't wanna owe you $25,000. I feel ok about it maybe 49% sure"
Connie starts to call for the double-dip then Mere says to wait until she starts the clock again

Double-dip (:21)
Spoiler
A. Libya (first answer :21)

$50K (Dinosaurs):
What is the proper scientific name of the dinosaur popularly known as a Brontosaurus?
A. Allosaurus B. Diplodocus
C. Deinonychus D. Apatosaurus

Connie laughed when she saw the choices and Meredith kidded her saying she is laughing because she knows the answer.
Spoiler
D. Apatosaurus - Connie guessed B at (:04)
Connie left with $25,000

She is still laughing as they go to commercial break

Weyoun

Re: Transcript 01/19/2009 Connie McClellan (Carryover contestan

#2 Post by Weyoun » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:55 pm

49% sure on Tripoli? Really? Basically doing a disservice if you can't even give 50%.

TheConfessor

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:07 am

Weyoun wrote:49% sure on Tripoli? Really? Basically doing a disservice if you can't even give 50%.
I agree. Knowing stuff is nice, but knowing that you know stuff is more important in this situation. He could have easily raised the confidence level to nearly 100% by naming the capitals of the other countries.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:51 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Expert: A.J. Jacobs, a former Millionaire contestant and author of the best selling book "The Know It All"
Remember: This guy won only $1,000 on the show.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:AJ " Oh, ok I got it... The Greek word would be Tripoli, because three is Tri and poli is city. So I'm pretty sure Tripoli, Libya"
AJ "I'm gonna say, I don't wanna owe you $25,000. I feel ok about it maybe 49% sure"
"Pretty" sure... then "maybe 49%" sure. *sigh*

Nihil obstat®

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:35 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Connie McClellan (Carryover contestant)
Detroit, MI

"The Cookie Lady" - wants to start her own bakery

Expert and Double Dip available

Expert: A.J. Jacobs, a former Millionaire contestant and author of the best selling book "The Know It All"
He got his reputation for having read the Encyclopedia Britannica in a year. He also wrote a book on trying to live by the precepts of the Bible for a year. So he ought to be a trivia expert.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K (It's Greek to Me):
What African country's capital derives its name from a Greek word meaning "three cities"?
A. Libya B. Sudan
C. Morocco D.Ethiopia

Expert at :24
ATE
AJ " Oh, ok I got it... The Greek word would be Tripoli, because three is Tri and poli is city. So I'm pretty sure Tripoli, Libya"
AJ, didn't TPTB tell you to do a better job of selling your answer? If you are a "know it all" then you should be more positive. You cost this woman a lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (Dinosaurs):
What is the proper scientific name of the dinosaur popularly known as a Brontosaurus?
A. Allosaurus B. Diplodocus
C. Deinonychus D. Apatosaurus

Connie laughed when she saw the choices and Meredith kidded her saying she is laughing because she knows the answer.
Spoiler
D. Apatosaurus - Connie guessed B at (:04)
Sorry that your laughter was ill-advised, Connie. Had AJ not caused you to squander a second lifeline on the Tripoli question you might have gotten this one.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:35 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Expert: A.J. Jacobs, a former Millionaire contestant and author of the best selling book "The Know It All"
I didn't realize that he'd been on the show. What were the particulars of his appearance?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:00 am

earendel wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
I didn't realize that he'd been on the show. What were the particulars of his appearance?
http://www.wwtbam.biz/transcript.php?type=1&id=762

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:50 am

TheConfessor wrote:
Weyoun wrote:49% sure on Tripoli? Really? Basically doing a disservice if you can't even give 50%.
I agree. Knowing stuff is nice, but knowing that you know stuff is more important in this situation. He could have easily raised the confidence level to nearly 100% by naming the capitals of the other countries.
Yeah. Back to obscurity for you, A.J. :evil:

themanintheseersuckersuit

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:10 am

this is the second Stephen Jay Gould question in the last couple of weeks. Gould wrote about Abner Doubleday and Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus. I just checked and both issues are in Bully For Brontosaurus. So I think we can assume that one of the question writers has read Gould's book or was a Natural History subscriber.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:55 am

Here's an article about Connie's appearance.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/gran ... he_pr.html
On Monday's broadcast, McClellan got past the crucial $25,000 threshold -- after which contestants are guaranteed to leave with at least that amount -- with help from author A.J. Jacobs.
The press release this article was based on probably didn't elaborate on A.J.'s "help". :|

Appa23

#11 Post by Appa23 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:10 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:this is the second Stephen Jay Gould question in the last couple of weeks. Gould wrote about Abner Doubleday and Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus. I just checked and both issues are in Bully For Brontosaurus. So I think we can assume that one of the question writers has read Gould's book or was a Natural History subscriber.
Or, in the case of this dinosaur question, watched a Jurassic Park movie or had a kid who liked dinosaurs.

Millionaire Fan

#12 Post by Millionaire Fan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:51 pm

My father knew the answer to this $50K question.