Transcript 01/19/2009 Michael Geller

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 01/19/2009 Michael Geller

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:45 pm

Michael Geller
Marlboro, NJ
Electrical construction equipment salesman

Mere says she really likes his striped shirt.

He says he works out of his car, bad habits he's talking on the phone, he has papers, he is drinking (coffee and water he means!)
He puts 30K miles a year into his car, and when he's done there is "nothing left but a hubcap"
So he needs a better car. Nice but not too nice because then his clients would think he is made of money.
His wife of 26 years and his two kids are in the audience

Topic Tree:

It Takes a Village
Air Supply
Veto Power
Honchos
In the Hopper
Leading Men
Facial Features
Now You're Cookin'
The "B" Word
States of the Union
Nursery Rhymes
Face It
Charlie Chaplin
Pie
Inherit the Wind

$100 (Inherit the Wind):
On a "wind farm", wind turns the propellers of large turbines to produce what?
A. Cars B. Paper
C. Electricity D. Hair gel

Spoiler
C. Electricity (:09)

$200 (Pie):
Which of these pies reportedly got its name because its sweetness made it attractive to pesky insects?
A. Mincemeat pie B. Shoofly pie
C. Shepherd's pie D. Chicken pot pie
Spoiler
B. Shoofly pie [:08]

$300 (Charlie Chaplin):
Which of these Charlie Chaplin movies was intended to make fun of Adolf Hitler?
A. Modern Times B. The Great Dictator
C. City Lights D. The Gold Rush
Spoiler
B. The Great Dictator (:07)

$500 (Face It):
By definition, a person whose mouth is "agape" has a mouth that is what?
A. Smiling B. Frowning
C. Wide open D. Tight-lipped
Spoiler
C. Wide open [:08]

$1000 (Nursery Rhymes):
In the popular nursery rhyme "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe," what activity follows "Seven, Eight"?
A. Kiss your mate B. Open the gate
C. Clean your plate D. Lay them straight

ATA (:09)
ATA
A-3% B-44% C-5% D-48%
Double Dip (:07)
Spoiler
First answer, B, was wrong. Second was correct D. Lay them straight (:06)
$2000 (States of the Union):
Which of these U.S. states has the most vowels in its name?
A. Louisiana B. Alabama
C. Massachusetts D. Indiana

Expert (:16)
ATE
AJ says "I think I know unless it's some sort of trick question... Louisiana... I feel pretty good about it. It has six while the others seem to have four" (With the clock off) Michael says he agrees.
Spoiler
A. Louisiana (:14)
Commercial break

$4000 (The "B" Word):
In 2008, what female rock group asked Sarah "Barracuda" Palin to stop promoting her candidacy using their hit song "Barracuda"?
A. The Go-Go's B. The Indigo Girls
C. Heart D. The Bangles

Michael loves rock n' roll
Spoiler
C. Heart (:21)

$8000 (Now You're Cookin'):
Convection ovens heat food more evenly and cook more quickly than standard ovens due to what feature?
A. Rotating trays B. Bright lights
C. Electromagnetic radiation D. Circulating air
Spoiler
D. Circulating air (:17)

$16K (Facial Features):
Familiar to social networkers everywhere, what color is the distinctive logo of the web site Facebook?
A. Yellow and white B. Blue and white
C. Red and white D. Green and white

PAF (:23)
choices:
Drew, Bernards Township NJ
Matthew, Scotch Plains NJ
Rich, Asbury NJ

PAF
Drew asks for repeat of choices, says Blue and White, (asked how sure) then says 100%
Spoiler
B. Blue and white (:20)
$25K (Leading Men):
The man who wrote the classic autobiographical work "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" is also the subject of what acclaimed film?
A. Gandhi D. Lawrence of Arabia
C. Patton D. Malcolm X

Spoiler
Michael says he thinks he knows it but is not sure enough. He decides to walk with $16K. He would have said Gandhi

D. Lawrence of Arabia (:07)
Michael walked with $16K.

Commercial break

Snaxx

Re: Transcript 01/19/2009 Michael Geller

#2 Post by Snaxx » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:03 pm

$1K - Narrow avoidance of another Monday/Tuesday's Child audience Dursting. This time they were barely right. Double-Dip serves its purpose; perhaps the Monday's Child llama might have gone that way had DD been in the place of what was then a pre-chosen 50/50.

$2K - Strictly a time question, I think they would have placed it in the $200-300 range w/o a timer.

A.J. starting to annoy me, can we replace him with AJ?

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:56 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:It Takes a Village
Air Supply
Veto Power
Honchos
In the Hopper
Leading Men
Facial Features
Now You're Cookin'
The "B" Word
States of the Union
Nursery Rhymes
Face It
Charlie Chaplin
Pie
Inherit the Wind
Another good stack, it looks like.

$1K: Yikes! I haven't recited this nursery rhyme in years. I can't remember within 15 seconds if it's "open the gate" or "lay them straight". Burn the ATA, which gives me enough time to go through the rhyme and realize that "five six, pick up sticks, seven eight, lay them straight" makes more sense.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000 (States of the Union):
A. Louisiana B. Alabama

ATE
AJ says "I think I know unless it's some sort of trick question... Louisiana... I feel pretty good about it. It has six while the others seem to have four" (With the clock off) Michael says he agrees.
No excuse to blow a lifeline on this question. Certainly, it should take less than 30 seconds to count vowels... shouldn't it?

$25K: Never heard of this book. Phone a friend.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Michael Geller
Marlboro, NJ
Electrical construction equipment salesman

Mere says she really likes his striped shirt.
Back in the day plaid shirts were verboten, which is why the whole "blue shirted MAWG" stereotype developed.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1000 (Nursery Rhymes):
In the popular nursery rhyme "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe," what activity follows "Seven, Eight"?
A. Kiss your mate B. Open the gate
C. Clean your plate D. Lay them straight

ATA (:09)
ATA
A-3% B-44% C-5% D-48%
Double Dip (:07)
Spoiler
First answer, B, was wrong. Second was correct D. Lay them straight (:06)
If you know the preceding line - "Five, six, pick up sticks" - the answer follows naturally.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000 (States of the Union):
A. Louisiana B. Alabama

ATE
Spoiler
A. Louisiana (:14)
Chalk this lifeline use up to TDC® - the contestant as much as admitted that in his post-call comments.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000 (Now You're Cookin'):
Convection ovens heat food more evenly and cook more quickly than standard ovens due to what feature?
A. Rotating trays B. Bright lights
C. Electromagnetic radiation D. Circulating air
Spoiler
D. Circulating air (:17)
Too bad Connie the cookie lady didn't get this one.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K (Facial Features):
Familiar to social networkers everywhere, what color is the distinctive logo of the web site Facebook?
A. Yellow and white B. Blue and white
C. Red and white D. Green and white

PAF (:23)
choices:
Drew, Bernards Township NJ
Matthew, Scotch Plains NJ
Rich, Asbury NJ

PAF
Drew asks for repeat of choices, says Blue and White, (asked how sure) then says 100%
Spoiler
B. Blue and white (:20)
Do you suppose he looked it up?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K (Leading Men):
The man who wrote the classic autobiographical work "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" is also the subject of what acclaimed film?
A. Gandhi D. Lawrence of Arabia
C. Patton D. Malcolm X

Spoiler
Michael says he thinks he knows it but is not sure enough. He decides to walk with $16K. He would have said Gandhi

D. Lawrence of Arabia (:07)
A pretty tough question - almost a WWOQ. Without lifelines I can't blame Michael for walking away.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:37 am

Michael is Millionaire Fan's dad.

And for some reason, he looked very familiar to me. I wonder if he's been another regular at auditions, over the years?

Millionaire Fan

#6 Post by Millionaire Fan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:39 pm

My father did his best. I didn't know the answer to the $1000 question. I started to have a heart attack when he used double-dip. Also on the $2000 question he was expecting to see Mississippi as one of the answers. When it was wasn't one of the choices he started to panic and he desperately needed to stop the clock. He was able to figure it out while he had the clock stopped. I immediately new the answer to the $16,000 question because I have my own Facebook account. His phone-a-friend looked it up on the computer and was able to give a 100% answer. My father should've known the answer to the $25,000 question because "Lawrence Of Arabia" is one of his favorite movies. If there wasn't a clock he probably could've figured out the answer. All in all he did a great job and I'm happy for him. I'm definitely glad he didn't guess on his $25,000 question and he made the right decision to stop the game. Hopefully you'll see me in the hotseat next season. As soon as auditions start up again I'll be there.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:29 am

Millionaire Fan wrote:My father did his best. I didn't know the answer to the $1000 question. I started to have a heart attack when he used double-dip. Also on the $2000 question he was expecting to see Mississippi as one of the answers. When it was wasn't one of the choices he started to panic and he desperately needed to stop the clock. He was able to figure it out while he had the clock stopped. I immediately new the answer to the $16,000 question because I have my own Facebook account. His phone-a-friend looked it up on the computer and was able to give a 100% answer. My father should've known the answer to the $25,000 question because "Lawrence Of Arabia" is one of his favorite movies. If there wasn't a clock he probably could've figured out the answer. All in all he did a great job and I'm happy for him. I'm definitely glad he didn't guess on his $25,000 question and he made the right decision to stop the game. Hopefully you'll see me in the hotseat next season. As soon as auditions start up again I'll be there.
Thanks for the insights. I figured that your dad stopped the clock in order to give himself time to think. It's a shame he had to use a lifeline to do this - one of the unfortunate byproducts of TDC®.

Millionaire Fan

#8 Post by Millionaire Fan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:48 pm

earendel wrote:
Millionaire Fan wrote:My father did his best. I didn't know the answer to the $1000 question. I started to have a heart attack when he used double-dip. Also on the $2000 question he was expecting to see Mississippi as one of the answers. When it was wasn't one of the choices he started to panic and he desperately needed to stop the clock. He was able to figure it out while he had the clock stopped. I immediately new the answer to the $16,000 question because I have my own Facebook account. His phone-a-friend looked it up on the computer and was able to give a 100% answer. My father should've known the answer to the $25,000 question because "Lawrence Of Arabia" is one of his favorite movies. If there wasn't a clock he probably could've figured out the answer. All in all he did a great job and I'm happy for him. I'm definitely glad he didn't guess on his $25,000 question and he made the right decision to stop the game. Hopefully you'll see me in the hotseat next season. As soon as auditions start up again I'll be there.
Thanks for the insights. I figured that your dad stopped the clock in order to give himself time to think. It's a shame he had to use a lifeline to do this - one of the unfortunate byproducts of TDC®.
If he hadn't of gotten a nursery rhyme question he would have made it to the $1K level with all of his lifelines intact. He could've ATA on the $2K question, PAF on the $16K question, ATE on the $25K question and he could've double-dipped on the $50K question and could've won more money. He wants to tryout for Jeopardy next.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:28 am

Millionaire Fan wrote:
earendel wrote:
If he hadn't of gotten a nursery rhyme question he would have made it to the $1K level with all of his lifelines intact. He could've ATA on the $2K question, PAF on the $16K question, ATE on the $25K question and he could've double-dipped on the $50K question and could've won more money. He wants to tryout for Jeopardy next.
There's an online test being offered next week - Tuesday (for the Eastern time zone), Wednesday (for the Central time zone) and Thursday (for the Mountain/Pacific time zones).

Millionaire Fan

#10 Post by Millionaire Fan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:33 pm

earendel wrote:
Millionaire Fan wrote:
earendel wrote: Thanks for the insights. I figured that your dad stopped the clock in order to give himself time to think. It's a shame he had to use a lifeline to do this - one of the unfortunate byproducts of TDC®.
There's an online test being offered next week - Tuesday (for the Eastern time zone), Wednesday (for the Central time zone) and Thursday (for the Mountain/Pacific time zones).
He won't be able to take the online test because he'll be away on vacation for a week in Florida.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#11 Post by Estonut » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:58 am

Millionaire Fan wrote:
earendel wrote:
Millionaire Fan wrote: If he hadn't of gotten a nursery rhyme question he would have made it to the $1K level with all of his lifelines intact. He could've ATA on the $2K question, PAF on the $16K question, ATE on the $25K question and he could've double-dipped on the $50K question and could've won more money. He wants to tryout for Jeopardy next.
He won't be able to take the online test because he'll be away on vacation for a week in Florida.
I think they have computers in Florida now.

Millionaire Fan

#12 Post by Millionaire Fan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:15 am

Estonut wrote:
Millionaire Fan wrote:
earendel wrote: There's an online test being offered next week - Tuesday (for the Eastern time zone), Wednesday (for the Central time zone) and Thursday (for the Mountain/Pacific time zones).
He's Staying at my grandmother's house for the week and she doesn't own a computer.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#13 Post by Estonut » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:58 am

Millionaire Fan wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Millionaire Fan wrote: He won't be able to take the online test because he'll be away on vacation for a week in Florida.
He's Staying at my grandmother's house for the week and she doesn't own a computer.
Maybe he'd like to check out the local library on Tuesday!

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:08 am

Estonut wrote:
Millionaire Fan wrote:
Estonut wrote:I think they have computers in Florida now.
Maybe he'd like to check out the local library on Tuesday!
Assuming it's open at 8PM. Plus it may be too late to sign up for the test.

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:15 am

earendel wrote: Assuming it's open at 8PM. Plus it may be too late to sign up for the test.
Registration is still open right up until the start of the test, I believe.

Millionaire Fan

#16 Post by Millionaire Fan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:04 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: Assuming it's open at 8PM. Plus it may be too late to sign up for the test.
Eventually my father will audition for Jeopardy. I think he might have to wait until the 2010/2011 season of Jeopardy to audition. I don't think you can be on another gameshow for a whole year.

earendel

#17 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:32 pm

Millionaire Fan wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Eventually my father will audition for Jeopardy. I think he might have to wait until the 2010/2011 season of Jeopardy to audition. I don't think you can be on another gameshow for a whole year.
True, but there's no reason why he couldn't take the test. There's no assurance that after passing he would get an invitation to a tryout, and even if he did he would be in the J! contestant pool for 18 months, giving plenty of time for his eligibility to return.