I'm in the news (sort of)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

I'm in the news (sort of)

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:32 pm

Today I was just given notice that everyone in my very large apartment complex must move out before April 1. There is a severe water intrusion problem and they will need to replace most outside walls.

They had a live news shot out in front on the CBS station that showed my unit in the BG. The main emphasis was on mold problems, not on where are hundreds of families going to move.

They are compensating everyone by refunding their whole security deposit - no matter what - and refunding the last month's rent. They're also giving a relocation fee depending on the number of bedrooms. In my case that's $1600. We can move out any day before April 1 - even tomorrow - and get a check on our last day.

I hate moving but will make out financially.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

Re: I'm in the news (sort of)

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Yeesh!
Bob Juch wrote: They are compensating everyone by refunding their whole security deposit - no matter what - and refunding the last month's rent. They're also giving a relocation fee depending on the number of bedrooms. In my case that's $1600. We can move out any day before April 1 - even tomorrow - and get a check on our last day.

I hate moving but will make out financially.
Refunding the security deposit doesn't sound like compensation to me, unless tenants have trashed their place, above and beyond what the water intrusion/mold has already done.

And won't you have to figure out what it costs you to move before you find out if you're profiting from this?

Bob Juch

Re: I'm in the news (sort of)

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:44 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Refunding the security deposit doesn't sound like compensation to me, unless tenants have trashed their place, above and beyond what the water intrusion/mold has already done.

And won't you have to figure out what it costs you to move before you find out if your profiting from this?
Sure, I won't have to do any clean-up at all (since they're going to replace the carpets, etc.). I'm sure if appliances were damaged or missing they'd come after the tenants.

It won't cost $1600 to move locally but I hope to be moving to Denver. This gets me out of the lease and with a profit.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.