My Mom's group is in the newspaper

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

My Mom's group is in the newspaper

#1 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:07 pm

The Operation Santa group that my mom belongs to is in the newspaper.
Last year, the chapter from Coos Bay sent nearly 19 percent of all the stockings sent nationwide, Parry said. This year, the local chapter is planning on sending 3,000 stockings.

http://tinyurl.com/2efw24

She's sittting behind the boxes. (She hates getting her picture taken.)
In the print version, you can see one of the stockings that she made.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:29 pm

I was stunned to read that "70 percent [of soldiers] never receive a letter from home." Can that possibly be true? Even if the actual number is well below that, I think I am going to have to start sending some Christmas cards and/or small gifts to unknown members of the armed forces.

No matter what anybody's opinion might be of this particular war, the people in harm's way deserve our respect, affection and gratitude in any way that it can be shown.
Last edited by silvercamaro on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#3 Post by kayrharris » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:49 pm

My step son in law is on his 2nd 15 month tour in Iraq. He will tell you first hand that anything they get is welcomed. Last year we sent toys which they gave to the Iraqi kids that literally have nothing. He said the pleasure the troops in his unit get from watching these kid's faces light up when they receive them is greater than any other gift they could have.

Please thank your mom and all those who help her. All their work truly is appreciated more than they will ever know.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:09 pm

silvercamaro wrote:I was stunned to read that "70 percent [of soldiers] never receive a letter from home." Can that possibly be true? Even if the actual number is well below that, I think I am going to have to start sending some Christmas cards and/or small gifts to unknown members of the armed forces.

No matter what anybody's opinion might be of this particular war, the people in harm's way deserve our respect, affection and gratitude in any way that it can be shown.
I wholeheartedly agree - and our one of our church's women's mission circles is sending packages to one of our members and those in his unit. Our church is not in favor of the war but we support the young man who is there and the troops in general.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#5 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:43 am

silvercamaro wrote:I was stunned to read that "70 percent [of soldiers] never receive a letter from home." Can that possibly be true? Even if the actual number is well below that, I think I am going to have to start sending some Christmas cards and/or small gifts to unknown members of the armed forces.

I would hate to think it's that high, but I'm not surprised considering how few personal letters ANYONE receives anymore these days. I was good about sending letters to my friends during Desert Storm, but these guys were officers and came from good families. Maybe I should have asked for the names of the guys who enlisted to get away from hopeless situations at home.

An enterprising young guy raising funds for a trip for a UNC journalism class knew our neighborhood already has more magazines than we can read in a lifetime, so he talked people into subscribing for troops and hospitals. I sent two subscriptions to the troops (he put down Maxim and Blender, then changed Blender to some outdoor magazine, but I told him I didn't care what the heck he sent as long as they would actually enjoy it) and a kids' book to the hospital. That way you could help the journalism class go to London and get some mail going overseas without filling up your recycling bin with yet another publication.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:03 am

minimetoo26 wrote:

I would hate to think it's that high, but I'm not surprised considering how few personal letters ANYONE receives anymore these days. I was good about sending letters to my friends during Desert Storm, but these guys were officers and came from good families. Maybe I should have asked for the names of the guys who enlisted to get away from hopeless situations at home.
I wonder if that percentage excludes e-mail.

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:06 am

Great question!

I wonder how troops prefer to be communicated with.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:08 am

peacock2121 wrote:Great question!

I wonder how troops prefer to be communicated with.
Given the age of the troops, I'm guessing they prefer e-mail since that's what they're used to.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#9 Post by kayrharris » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:08 am

Most of them have access to e-mail. It's faster for sure. My son in law has instant message to communicate with his wife as well. Of course, the time difference is a problem but can be worked out once a week or so.